Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I kind of felt like the presentation banter would have made more sense if it was Julianne Marguiles and Brad Pitt, instead of Don Cheadle.  I know they were in Ocean's together, but I don't really associate Don with George, like I do with Julianne, Brad, or even Matt Damon.

I totally get why some don't like Clooney (those clips actually show how limited his range is), but I like him, and I thought his speech was good.  And, maybe, just maybe, he really has found love this time.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

I'll be the first one to criticize Hollywood for its self-congratulatory tendencies, but I actually don't have a problem with all the references to free speech and the Paris terrorist act, as I am seeing on twitter. It makes sense that an industry dedicated to art (some of the time, at least) would have something to say about speech. 

Edited by Hava
  • Love 2

Clooney for President!!!

That wouldn't surprise me. He is interested in current events, and while he may love Amal, it helps that she's a great wife for an aspiring elected official - serious, smart, and beautiful (she may however turn some people off who like their polticians' wives sweet, quiet, and nonthreatening).

I still think of Ruth Wilson as Alice Morgan from Luther, so anytime she smiles, I feel like things are going to get ugly very quickly.  Still, good for her.

I'm actually going to go ahead with a Oscar prediction: I think Richard Linklater's got it in the bag.  I think the concept of filming the movie for over a decade is just catnip for a lot of voters.  I really can't see anyone else making a dent on that, except maybe the Selma director.

Harrison Ford is on good behavior now.  I strangely miss Drunk Harrison Ford from past Globes.

• Love 1

I LOATHE the lead characters on The Affair but I am happy for the show and believe the win was deserved because as much as I LOATHE the lead characters  (yeah did I mention that already), the show is well written and brilliantly acted. Which speaking of, Ruth Wilson totally deserved that award. I hate Alison but for that one scene alone when she talked about her son, she deserved every acting award. 

Michael Keaton's win was a foregone conclusion so no surprise there. I'm really interested in Best Actor - Drama since that one is really anyone's game and it might give more of an indication of who might be Keaton's biggest competition going into the Oscars. My money's on Redmayne to take it. I've been okay with most of the winners tonight. Kevin Spacey was a little surprising but not wholly undeserved so can't complain. 

I'm actually going to go ahead with a Oscar prediction: I think Richard Linklater's got it in the bag.

Agreed. My predictions as of now are Linklater for Director, J.K. Simmons has Best Supporting Actor locked and likely Julianne Moore for Best Actress unless something goes really wrong for her and I'd say Boyhood for Best Picture. I think Actor might still be a race between Keaton and Redmayne and Supporting Actress seems likely for Patricia but that category can be pretty wonky at times so I'm waiting to see what happens at the BAFTA's and SAG.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

So, comic nerd me definitely was thinking that 80s Batman not only won, but got to accept the trophy from current Lois Lane.  Still, not surprising, but good for Michael Keaton.  Never would have predicted he would make a comeback, but it looks like he's doing it.

Seriously, why are they using Amy and Tina so little?  I hope those two at least are getting some good food and drink, while they hang out backstage for the majority of the show.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

I love Ruth as an actress, very happy to see her win even if I didn't follow The Affair.  

Going back a bit...

Miles is a very talented young actor, who clearly hasn't learned the art of the interview yet.

Nope, he sure hasn't.  He needs to also attend Cherry Malotte's living room seminar called 'Film Appreciation and History In A Day'.  No tests, just lots of good movies from each genre.  He'll learn if I have to pound it in his skull with the Maltese Falcon prop.  

Now comes the time of the show where we hurry hurry hurry and pass those awards out like a plate of chicken at a family style seated wedding.    

• Love 1

Damnit...I'm sure Michael Keaton was great, but I was rooting hardcore for Ralph Fiennes to win for "Grand Budapest Hotel"---he played such a hilarious dandy in that film!!

I was rooting for Ralph Fiennes, because I just wanted Voldemort to win.

• Love 1

I think JK Simmons threw down some shade (in the guise of a thank-you) at Miles Teller and from what I've read, it is deserved.

Can you elaborate on that please?  Enquiring minds want to know.  :)

Ok, nevermind, I read ahead to the next page and you answered it already.  Thanks!

Edited by briochetwist

Having just seen Julia Roberts in the Ocean's Eleven clip for the Clooney tribute, I am thanking the Hollywood gods that she wasn't picked to do the presentation. It would be unbearable.

Yes, Julia would have made it all about Julia.

• Love 6

I was rooting for Ralph Fiennes, because I just wanted Voldemort to win.

That's the thing---he's known for all these serious, dramatic villain roles((let's not forget how close he came to an Oscar for playing that scary evil Nazi officer)), it would've been a hoot to finally see him win an acting award for...his rare comedic turn!!

• Love 6

That's the thing---he's known for all these serious, dramatic villain roles((let's not forget how close he came to an Oscar for playing that scary evil Nazi officer)), it would've been a hoot to finally see him win an acting award for...his rare comedic turn!!

I wanted him to win because he gave the only true comic performance of the nominees.  Him winning for a comic role would be like Steve Carrell winning for Foxcatcher. 

• Love 1

Was pulling for Rosamund Pike for scaring the crap out of me in Gone Girl, but I figured it would be Julianne Moore.  I think this is the year of "Give her a damn Oscar, already!"  Not complaints though.  And, she's in her fifties!  Damn, she is gorgeous!

So, in the Battle of the Brits: it's Eddie over David and The Cumberbatch.  Lets see if the Oscars follow suit, or if this is going to be more of a competition.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

Yeah can't complain about the Actor and Actress winners. And I'm kind of excited that the Best Actor race may be an actual race between Michael Keaton and Eddie Redmayne. And as expected, Boyhood wins Best Picture. Not the most exciting night, Amy and Tina were okay but I can't say any of the wins really bothered me, so all in all, good show.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

And, it's Boyhood for the win.  Going to be a big contender come Oscar time, I suspect.

Not the worst telecast ever, but I feel like nothing really big happened tonight.  Predictable winner, speeches, etc.  And, a complete waste of Tina and Amy.  Hope whoever takes over next year gets a better opportunity then they did.

• Love 1

And, it's Boyhood for the win.  Going to be a big contender come Oscar time, I suspect.

Not the worst telecast ever, but I feel like nothing really big happened tonight.  Predictable winner, speeches, etc.  And, a complete waste of Tina and Amy.  Hope whoever takes over next year gets a better opportunity then they did.

Yeah this was pretty dull but the thread was fun!  I love that we can do live threads here. 

• Love 1
I think JK Simmons threw down some shade (in the guise of a thank-you) at Miles Teller and from what I've read, it is deserved.

I didn't think he was throwing shade. If he were, I doubt he would have paused after saying Miles' name for the entire audience to applaud before making his quip. I think Miles Teller has a polarizing personality, but JK Simmons joke was appropriate to the characters relationship in the movie, and seemed more affectionate (to me) than mean spirited. 

• Love 4

I know this is now well after the fact (as we have long ago moved on from the red carpet and into the inebriated awards period), but I have to say that I think Dakota Johnson had the dress for the win at this year's awards....most likely you may not have seen it but it is worth finding a picture of as it were and there you are :)

Anyways its been a very fun episode of this yearly entertainment-folk-on-parade-while-drinking party (always more fun than the Oscars by far). But that the LEGO movie did not win ruins everything...no, not really but whaaaaaat? Do you know anyone who did not think that movie was the best?