Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm still shaking my head over The Affair.

I did not mind the win, mainly because it seems like the norm for the GG's to honor the newbies. They do not always pick the new shows to honor, but it does seem like quite a bit of the time that they do. I was just glad it did not go to Downton Abbey, which I watch, but also can acknowledge that it is a glorified soap. Though, I wasn't really happy with a lot of the television nominations this year. 

Didn't think Amy and Tina were as sharp as last time. I haven't seen any of the movies, and only a few of the TV shows, so let's just say I was happy J.K. Simmons won (because he's great in everything I've seen him in; he even made that TV series last year almost watchable). And happy to see Wes Anderson win a big award.

I too am sick of George Clooney; he turned me off with his Oscar speech where he congratulated Hollywood on what a great bunch of people they are. Self-serving wasn't the word. And I guess I shouldn't blame him for this, but it seriously bugs me how everyone fawns over Amal like every other woman who was ever with George is just some no-account bimbo. Like he finally has someone worthy of him. Ugh. You don't have to be a lawyer to be a worthy person.

• Love 5
And I guess I shouldn't blame him for this, but it seriously bugs me how everyone fawns over Amal like every other woman who was ever with George is just some no-account bimbo. Like he finally has someone worthy of him. Ugh. You don't have to be a lawyer to be a worthy person.

This probably isn't fair and also means I'm so cynical it's absurd, but I've always had this sneaking suspicion that there was more than just love that prompted the marriage.  I could be wrong and for all George's protests that he would never ever ever ever EVER get married again, Cupid's arrow smacked him right in the brain and he forgot all about it. But part of me thinks that he has political aspirations at some point in the future and let's face it, having someone as accomplished as Amal by his side would be considered a lot more "acceptable" than any of the other women he had been dating before her... (not that that would be fair, but...). 

Edited by loriro
  • Love 6

I'm sick of George and Amal too.  I realize it's not her fault, but I'm sick of people treating her like she farts Chanel No. 5,  just because she's beautiful (in the face but too skinny IMO) and a "human rights lawyer."  Big whoop.  And on a shallow note, while I liked the idea of wearing the gloves, I thought the white was kind of jarring and they should have been black.  

• Love 2
like every other woman who was ever with George is just some no-account bimbo. Like he finally has someone worthy of him. Ugh. You don't have to be a lawyer to be a worthy person.

No offense to George's previous squeezes, but he didn't seem particularly drawn to women of substance in the past. 

• Love 1

George's exes might not have been human rights lawyers but I wouldn't say that they weren't of some substance.  I wouldn't assume that they were bimbos because they were an actress, waitress or a wrestler.   Doesn't mean they can't be intelligent as well.  Frankly, I think it might be Clooney who's lacking in "substance."

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4

No offense to George's previous squeezes, but he didn't seem particularly drawn to women of substance in the past.

Seriously!

The dude went from years of casually dating numerous actresses/younger gals in the industry, to then shacking up with a Vegas cocktail waitress, a sleazy Italian dancer/actress, to a former pro-wrestler, to....Amal the Amazing!!!

I don't mean to seem cynical and I adore George otherwise, but I also have to believe that this marriage is somewhat strategically planned for both of their mutual benefits.

It just seemed way too quick and convenient for a guy like him, a guy's guy who was known strictly for dating arm-candy; not to mention the huge publicity frenzy he stirred over their quick marriage after years of swearing off marrying ever again??

Oh well, good for them---they're a lovely, classy couple and I hope they're happy together forever and that she gets more comfortable with their Hollywood lifestyle of red carpets and awards galas.

Speaking of comfortable, besides Ricky Gervais, I wonder who was the drunkest celeb there last night? I almost miss the trainwrecky appeal of those fringe actors like Paz De La Huerta who obviously came for a good time and an open bar!

Maybe Jeremy Renner in all his boob-ogling glory...

Edited by Sun-Bun

The dude went from years of casually dating numerous actresses/younger gals in the industry, to then shacking up with a Vegas cocktail waitress, a sleazy Italian dancer/actress, to a former pro-wrestler, to....Amal the Amazing!!!

I don't mean to seem cynical and I adore George otherwise, but I also have to believe that this marriage is somewhat strategically planned for both of their mutual benefits.

It just seemed way too quick and convenient for a guy like him, a guy's guy who was known strictly for dating arm-candy; not to mention the huge publicity frenzy he stirred over their quick marriage after years of swearing off marrying ever again??

I think the deal with the pre-Amal women whom George dated was that they were pretty and fun,  but that's all he wanted. He knew he wasn't ready for marriage and he wasn't in love, so he dated women whom he enjoyed being with and that was it. And then he happened to meet Amal, and with a lot of men, when they have gone so long just "dating" and all of a sudden there's a woman who may not have been so easily charmed or impressed, he fell and fell hard.  And he did not want her to get away.  I really believe that he is head over heels for her, and she for him.  

I saw them on ET last night, and they were much friendlier and chatty with Nancy O'Dell. It was the exact opposite of how they acted with Guiliana.  Nancy asked them when they were going to have children and Amal laughed and said "You're as bad as my mother!". It was fun seeing them with someone they felt more comfortable with.   

• Love 3

I rewatched the opening bit again and I have to say, I'm loving the Jessica Chastain array of shock faces for the controversial jokes. It's like Taylor Swift's shock faces but much more genuine and likeable. And since the GG is probably the only awards show from this point forward that will have those controversial jokes, I guess I'll have to wait next year to see the Jessica Chastain shock faces again.

• Love 1

But that the LEGO movie did not win ruins everything...no, not really but whaaaaaat? Do you know anyone who did not think that movie was the best?

Heck, now the Oscars. Not even nominated.

I thought they'd had such a segment in the past, and at one point I wondered if a particular set of presenters might be introducing this year's.  But it never showed up, right?

Nope.  The Golden Globes is the one award ceremony that doesn't have an In Memoriam segment, so there was nothing to show up because it doesn't exist.

I'm surprised that Emily Blunt made the Best Actress nom for Into the Woods, over Anna Kendrick.  I didn't think the Baker's Wife had that big a role.

I watched ItW during a flight recently, and Blunt seemed to be on-screen much more than Kendrick -- also thought she was better. 

• Love 1

My first thought re the television nominations - the TV networks really are becoming irrelevant, aren't they? 

Movies: I'm a little disappointed Sarah Silverman didn't get a nod, especially right after she was nominated for a SAG award.  That, and I Smile Back is one of the few movies I've managed to see this year.  I thought she was really good so the SAG award nomination didn't surprise me.  Her being passed over for a GG nom does.

The Martian is a comedy or musical?

I had the same question.  I was under the impression it was a drama.  If it's funny, or even a dramedy, I may decide to see it.  (I'm done with angst as entertainment re this year's releases.)

Full list of 2016 nominees here The Martian is a comedy or musical?  I haven't seen it.

Someone in the movie thread mentioned that apparently, it came down to one vote deciding whether or not The Martian would compete as a comedy or a drama; same with deciding whether or not Rooney Mara & Alicia Vikander would be allowed to compete in the supporting actress category.  The Martian is a fairly lighthearted movie considering the storyline.

Even though I doubt she has a chance of winning, I'm thrilled Rachel Bloom was nominated for "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend".  She has been outstanding on a show that not enough people are watching.  

And I guess I should be watching Mozart in the Jungle.  I always see it pop up on Amazon Prime, but I've never actually taken the time to watch, and to be honest, I have no clue what it's about.  I wish there'd been some love for Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Blackish though - those are my two favorite comedies on tv right now.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
If it's funny, or even a dramedy, I may decide to see it.  (I'm done with angst as entertainment re this year's releases.)

I'd think it's fair to call it a dramedy. While there is for sure drama and some very tense moments, it's highly entertaining with a lot of good humor. I wouldn't describe it as angst as entertainment, at all.

There are a ton of movies I still need to see, but I feel like thus far the nominations seem to be all over the place. Maybe there will actually be some suspense at the awards shows this year? As for the Globes specifically, I'm bummed Fargo only had Kirsten Dunst and Patrick Wilson nominated as leads. Jean Smart, Zahn McClarnon, and Ted Danson all seem robbed to me. Also disappointed Brooklyn Nine-Nine was shut out, so far as I can tell.

Still: I'm excited for awards season! Bring on the questionable attire and iffy public speaking skills.

Rob Lowe's having a good week: he (finally) received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame Tuesday, then he got a Golden Globe nomination, for his work in his new Fox show The Grinder (which I think is funny, & it's probably just me), today.

I somehow doubt he'll win, but I'm rooting for him anyway. I've liked him at least since The West Wing, for which I think he also got at least 1 Golden Globe nomination.

So among 5 best TV drama nominees and 6 best TV comedy nominees, only one is on broadcast TV.

Empire - Fox (broadcast)
Game of Thrones - HBO
Mr Robot - USA
Narcos - Netflix
Outlander - Starz

Casual -  Hulu
Mozard in the Jungle - Amazon
Orange is the New Black - Netflix
Silicon Valley - HBO
Transparent - Amazon
Veep - HBO

TV for people with enough disposable income to pay for TV.  Whatever happened to TV as a mass medium?  It's now more of a niche medium.

• Love 4

I define free as "not having to pay money"  Sitting through commercials to me still means free.

I agree that it is disappointing that almost all of the best show nominees are on pay TV.  

For some reason, I find myself particularly happy for Jamie Lee Curtis.  Her show is terrible, but she is always great.

I noticed that Jessica Lange did not get her customary nomination and that it went to Lady Gaga instead.  No doubt because it's Gaga, and it's the Globes and they want people talking about the Globes, but still.

• Love 1

There are occasionally good shows on broadcast TV, but the Globes chose not to acknowledge them. Hannibal was great (before it got canceled by NBC) and could compete, quality-wise, with anything on pay TV.  I understand How to Get Away with Murder (ABC) is really good, though I haven't seen it myself. I'm sure there are a few others I'm forgetting.

But overall, I think the comparative lack of prestige shows on broadcast TV just calls for the networks to step up their game to compete with the pay channels! If they had better shows, maybe they'd get more viewers and more nominations. Some of the shows that are airing on pay services may have originally been pitched to networks and been turned down.  They need to be willing to take more risks.  Then maybe the people who can't or don't want to pay for Netflix, Amazon etc. would have more good shows to watch.

• Love 1

I noticed that Jessica Lange did not get her customary nomination and that it went to Lady Gaga instead. No doubt because it's Gaga, and it's the Globes and they want people talking about the Globes, but still.

Jessica Lange wasn't eligible; she's not on this season of American Horror Story.

Well, now that you mention it, probably not. And to me, the explosion of original programming on services like Netflix and Amazon is actually a good thing for consumers because it makes it more feasible to get rid of cable (thus eliminating one annoyingly large monthly bill) and replace it with subscriptions to a couple of the streaming services, which makes it less expensive overall.  But for those who expect it to be TOTALLY free, meaning they don't want to pay for cable OR streaming services, and want to get ALL their programming from over-the-air broadcast networks ... yeah I think that's a bit unrealistic to expect a huge variety of quality shows, and I think that's a very small segment of viewers.  

• Love 1
And to me, the explosion of original programming on services like Netflix and Amazon is actually a good thing for consumers because it makes it more feasible to get rid of cable (thus eliminating one annoyingly large monthly bill) and replace it with subscriptions to a couple of the streaming services, which makes it less expensive overall.

This is how I do it; I cut the cord a couple of years ago.  Netflix, an Amazon Prime membership and Hulu cost me $24 a month.  I use the CBS site to watch Survivor.  I have a few premium channel shows (Veep, Episodes, The Comeback); I buy season passes for those.  Now my TV cost averages $40 a month; it used to be four times that.

And I guess I should be watching Mozart in the Jungle.

It was pretty good, definitely worth checking out.

The Golden Globes announced that Eddie Redmayne (who is also a nominee for The Danish Girl), Amy Adams, Channing Tatum, and Patricia Arquette will present at the ceremony this Sunday.

They’ll be joined by Jamie Foxx, J.K. Simmons, Julianne Moore, and Amber Heard. PEOPLE also announced that Kate Hudson, Kurt Russell, and Jaimie Alexander will be among the night’s presenters.

The Globes previously announced that Olivia Wilde and Mel Gibson — who has been a favorite target of host Ricky Gervais in the past years he’s emceed the ceremony — will also be presenters at the show.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/05/golden-globes-eddie-redmayne-amy-adams-channing-tatum

Is it streaming, maybe?

I think E!'s Twitter feed said something about them streaming it. But I'm not sure how much that would help since it's an American cable channel & the original poster was asking about it airing overseas. Having said that, perhaps if they Google they can find a broadcast network/channel &/or a live stream from somewhere compatible with their location.

I'm in for the red carpet and will probably make through part of the ceremony before going to bed. The rest I'll fast-forward through tomorrow. Or not. Depends on whether there are reports of something fun happening.

Denzel Washington is getting the Cecil B DeMille award. If it is presented by Horseface "I love my life" Julia Roberts, I will scream and possibly throw something at my TV.

LOL, you and me, both, blackwing. This is too funny because I came across The Pelican Brief yesterday and put it on for a half hour or so and that was literally the only thing I could think of the entire time I was watching it. Well, that and how much things have changed. Because back then I loved Julia Roberts. But then the 'A Low Vera' t-shirt thing happened and she became what she is now (insufferable, obnoxious, keep going...) and now I want to punch her. I will have a shoe at the ready within grabbing distance for tonight's show.

• Love 1

Gina Rodriguez looks gorgeous. I don't think she'll win but I love her hair and make up. The dress I could give or take but it's still nice.

Also cute she brought her dad.

Love the colour of Guiliana's dress - the dress itself not so much.

I love Gervais so I am in for the whole telecast. I hope he makes a lot of cutting remarks, because that is why I love him.

I also think Gina Rodriguez looks great. I think she is charming, but I stopped watch Jane the Virgin during the middle of last season. The dress is nice, but not wild about the Madonna-esque cone shaped boobs the dress has.

Not loving Giuliana's dress. I feel like I saw a similar dress on Project Runway Junior a couple episodes ago.

I kind of love Jamie Alexander's dress.