Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was rooting for Alicia, but I haven't seen able to see Kate's movie, since it bombed and didn't ever get to a theatre near me.

Ricky is certainly not holding back tonight (even when, re the trans stuff, maybe he should have).

Edited by SeanC

I was rooting for Alicia, but I haven't seen able to see Kate's movie, since it bombed and didn't ever get to a theatre near me.

I meant to watch Ex Machina this weekend but didn't get the chance--I hear she's great in it.  But I did get to see Steve Jobs and Kate was terrific, glad to see she won.

• Love 1

Classic Ricky Gervais, for better and worse.  Not all of his jokes land, but some due, and it nothing else, I am amused how easily he seems to offend the crowd.  I just wonder if he'll actually be back for more, or is he suddenly going just disappear like he did last time he hosted.

On the other hand, the Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill "skit" was just stupid.  It really came off like something those two came up with on the spot, while drunk off their minds.  At least that is over with.

I guess Kate Winslet's win means Steve Jobs is totally out of the picture, despite it's less then stellar box office returns.

I keep hearing The Affair is technically good, but it's so depressing and the characters are so unlikable, that I really don't have an investment to watch.

• Love 2

I "hate" beng a 4 eyes so I picked these ginourmous frames for my glasses. 

And wore them to an awards show rather than do what I do most other days of the year, which is wear contact lenses.

Aaaah, I shouldn't mock.  There's probably a good reason why she wore them.

• Love 6
JLo doesn't look good in yellow. No one does. IMO!

Michelle Williams wore a mustard yellow dress to the Oscars years ago and it was gorgeous!  But in general, yeah... yellow doesn't do many people many favors. 

Who is this woman and what is "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"?  Never heard of either. 

The HFPA are the only awards voting body who watch the CW, it seems.

Maybe someone should direct them to another network or streaming service.

Okay, Rachel Bloom is annoying me. I did not like My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend after two episodes so I dropped it.

• Love 1

One thing that drives me nuts about the Golden Globes is the total randomness with which they give out the awards.  They start out with supporting actress in a film, then go to a couple other acting awards, then Best Comedy!  WTF??

Oh--and Mozart in the Jungle wins!  Yay!  I like that show a lot.

• Love 1

Don't kid me, Samberg!  The Doof Warrior playing at the Globes would be the greatest thing ever!!!  Anything else will be MEDIOCRE!!!

I'm guessing Crazy Ex-Girlfriend will be getting a renewal now.  The CW might not care about ratings, but they love those shiny Globes!

• Love 1

I am not wild about Viola's dress. I usually like her fashion choices. She looks amazing otherwise. 

Both of the shows they've awarded from there have received enormous critical acclaim.

I am aware that they have. I watched half of season of Jane the Virgin. Casting and acting were great, just got bored with the story. I did not love much about My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend though. I could understand a Gina Rodriguez win more than a Rachel Bloom, but I am not in the HFPA so my opinion does not matter.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1

It's my favourite garbage man, Matt Damon!  (That line still kills me.)

I loved that line too. Matt is handling The Martian as a comedy jokes well.  I liked the Ben Affleck joke as well.

Ooh Wolf Hall! I love that show.

Wait, The Martian was really nominated as a comedy? I was sure that was a bit.

Not a bit. It was nominated as a comedy. Yeah, ponder on that.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1

Ah, The Martian is a comedy, huh?  Classic Golden Globes!  Seriously, I really enjoyed the film and it did have its funny moments, but comedy?  Yeah.... I wouldn't call it that.  I think even Matt Damon would agree, although I think he was thrown off by the Gervais' Ben Affleck joke.

Shit, Fargo lost.  Better luck at the Emmys!

Did I hear that right?  The BBC is in trouble?  No!!

Wait, The Martian was really nominated as a comedy? I was sure that was a bit. 

It sure was.  I can understand nominating The Big Short as a comedy--there were plenty of laughs there even if it wasn't a comedy in the strictest sense--but The Martian?  It has a few funny moments, but come on.

Wolf Hall!!  Yes!  I loved that miniseries--I thought it totally got the shaft at the Emmys last year.

First technically clusterfuck of the evening!  Leading Jaime Alexander to drop f bombs like a person who is currently heading NBC's biggest new show, and doesn't give a, well, fuck.

And there is Oscar Issac, winning and strolling up like a man who just co-starred in the top grossing movie of all time (domestically, of course.  James Cameron is still king of the world!!!!!)