Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like the Golden Globes because I like how relatively casual it is.  My favourite parts where the commercial breaks when we saw stars talking with each other, like ordinary people.

Another part I found funny was when Jennifer Lawrence was walking up to get her Best Actress award.  She hugged and kissed a few people, and then walked by Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart.  Calista Flockhart is just staring up at her with this absolutely envious look, seemingly thinking "when I was young and on Ally McBeal I was supposed to go on to have a scorching hot career that never really happened, she is having the career that I should have had".

Haha,  At what point did anyone including Calista Flockhart think she was going to have this huge movie career?  She was already 38 by the time Ally McBeal was over.   I have to think not many actresses pushing 40 actual think they will be the young ingenue in movies  ala Jennifer Lawrence, any more.

She has done alright for herself,  on her third major tv series, a mom and Harrison Ford's wife

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

I am such a fan of Fargo and the spectacular acting I was so disappointed that no one won.

Best spot of the night:  Eva and America's routine about Latina names mix up.  SO FUNNY!

Loved Katy Perry's and Amber Heard's dresses.

I for one want you to stay within the time limit of the speech.  Be prepared and quit wasting my time.  You already have my money from going to see your movies.

• Love 1

There is an AP article in my local paper today about the Globes where the writer describes "Carol" as a lesbian romance and says Leo dedicated his award to Native Americans.

Ok first off, Jake Coyle from the AP, is there any reason "Carol" can't be described as a "romance" or perhaps "love story?" Any reason it needs a qualifier?

And second, you QUOTED Leo as saying he was thanking "First Nations people." Do you not know the difference?

Sorry, but sloppy writing makes my teeth itch.

• Love 3
to the award that goes to a CW show 3 people watch so the GG can seem edgy and cool

Nah, the Golden Globes have already rewarded a CW actress last year (Gina Rodriguez), so I don't count Rachel Bloom's win as "edgy," even if I really like the show.

No, to me, the "edgiest" win was Best Comedy.

--First, take the "edgiest" platform available in streaming

--Then, for extra "edginess," select the show that has received the least coverage in the mainstream press from that platform

--Voila! Your winner for Best Comedy.

And at least I can actually look up the ratings for "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend." Since streaming is too "edgy" to measure viewing like...oh, I don't know...an actual television show, we will never know if last night's Best Comedy was watched by 3, 33, 330, or 3 million people.

They had to pull the original finale because it was scheduled to air on the same date that news reporter and cameraman were murdered on air and the season finale was eerily similar, so they didn't air it to be tasteful.

I thought they delayed it a week? At any rate, I saw it on demand, so it was available after the series aired on TV.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

Well when it comes to Hollywood, I'd never insist a person hasn't had work done but I do think her look changing a bit might be contributing to it. The hair alone, which may not seem like a big deal but can dramatically change a person's face, is practically blonde now when we know her natural hair color is a dark brown. 

Speaking of J-Lo, while I understand what some were saying about her being in a new show (and on NBC no less) and maybe representing the television side which explains why she was there, I'm sorry but let's be honest, even if she wasn't, she'd still be there. Because what's the excuse for her being at the Oscars practically every year?

I don't hate the woman and I admire her hustle in making herself into a multi-million dollar brand being a mediocre singer and mediocre actress (she's a bomb dancer though and I guess the gorgeous looks certainly helped) but it is amusing how year after year she's at these shows when she's never nominated for anything and never in anything that's nominated for anything. And guaranteed she'll show up styled and dressed up like she's the biggest damn star there. You do you J-Lo...

JLo was there because she was presenting.   I like her.  I think she is an excellent actress; Roger Ebert deemed her one of his favorites.  

She was recently on Ellen and looked the same as always.  The lighting and make up may have given her a different appearance, I didn't notice, I was on the verge of sleep when she came on.   She is 44 so she may get fillers and Botox but she looks good to me. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
Thank you!  My eyeballs just about fell out of my head when I saw that.  I've never been a K Dunst fan, but I floved her as Peggy in Fargo. I watched the first 5-6 episodes of AHS:Hotel, and while Gaga wasn't as awful as an actress as I thought she'd be, she's not even in the same league as Kirsten.

I don't know if HFPA even knows what half the shows are.  I don't know how the nominees are selected vs. the winners, but Lady Gaga winning over Kirsten is ridiculous.  And I know there are fans of Wolf Hall out there, but it didn't hold my attention thru one episode.  And I couldn't get enough of Fargo.  

I didn't even know Kate Winslet was nominated. 

• Love 2
JLo was there because she was presenting.

Yes I'm aware she was presenting. That's my point, she's always presenting. The Globes and Oscars producers always know that's one celebrity that's a guaranteed yes every year. And my point is it is hilarious because she's NEVER nominated for anything (unless you count her one Globe nomination since 1998 for Selena), she's never in anything that's nominated but there she is.

Like there are celebrities who if they didn't have any major films or shows that year, you don't see them at all for Award season. But not our J-Lo...she'll show up and out diva them all. I genuinely do think it's kind of hilarious to be honest. Like I said, I don't knock the woman's hustle but it's like call a spade a spade. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Can someone explain why Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt wasn't nominated for Best Comedy TV Series?

Was it due to when it premiered or something?   There isn't anything even close to being that funny on tv right now. 

• Love 2

Yes I'm aware she was presenting. That's my point, she's always presenting. The Globes and Oscars producers always know that's one celebrity that's a guaranteed yes every year. And my point is it is hilarious because she's NEVER nominated for anything (unless you count her one Globe nomination since 1998 for Selena), she's never in anything that's nominated but there she is.

If not for the Selena mention, this could just as easily be referencing Kate Hudson. I'm sure there are others who fit the "have done nothing of note but will make themselves available for the attention and will show up looking great" bill.

• Love 8

Nah, the Golden Globes have already rewarded a CW actress last year (Gina Rodriguez), so I don't count Rachel Bloom's win as "edgy," even if I really like the show.

No, to me, the "edgiest" win was Best Comedy.

--First, take the "edgiest" platform available in streaming

--Then, for extra "edginess," select the show that has received the least coverage in the mainstream press from that platform

--Voila! Your winner for Best Comedy.

And at least I can actually look up the ratings for "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend." Since streaming is too "edgy" to measure viewing like...oh, I don't know...an actual television show, we will never know if last night's Best Comedy was watched by 3, 33, 330, or 3 million people.

I'm not sure that they would have to stop at just one. They wanted a "shock" (since the average viewer probably wouldn't have known who a lot of the major nominees in some of the other "edgy" winner categories were anyway), and that category was probably one of them, even moreso than last year, since JtV had gotten universal critical acclaim and was doing a tad bit better in the ratings. This win and the golly gosh I won wowee kowkazowee acceptance speech woman were more of the "wow...so out of left field!!!" flavor the show loves to truck in.

As for Jon Hamm, he's a decent enough actor, but he and his Mad Men role peaked many years before it left the air, and the efforts of Tina Fey and the media at large to push him as the ideal stud just underscore for me that there's something a bit offputting about him (especially his eyes). He's better served in small doses. Good for him winning, but I can't say anything I saw from him recently was spellbinding. I guess they just wanted to say better late than never.

Whoa, I guess you hate Empire, huh?

"Hate" is actually too strong a word.  I just don't care about the show so I stopped watching.  It wasn't very good.

And I edit this to add, I'm certainly not alone.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3

My problem with Ricky Gervais is that he clearly did not want to be there. I get the problems people generally have with him. His comedy is not for everyone. Personally, I don't like him, but he can make me laugh at times. But last night most of his "comedy" just seemed lazy and bitchy rather than pointed and funny. But beyond that, how in the world was he seriously allowed to just read from cards? Does he have a problem that prevents him from reading the prompter (beyond the problems with the prompter that were occurring throughout the show that is, most notably when Amber Heard and Jamie Alexander came out to present)? If not, that is just fucking lazy on his part.

Also, I know the Globes is a much looser event, but could they reign it in a bit? Who approved Jonah Hill's bit? That was going to be brutal no matter what, but then it descended into Hill just swearing. And I get that A-Schu and J-Law are white hot at the moment, particularly as a duo, but their schtick could have been cut down quite a bit, if only for time. 

As for the awards themselves, I have never felt more out of it. I admit that is certainly on me, as my personal entertainment choices narrow as I get older. I was relieved that The Revenant, Leo and Inarritu won. I saw that movie on Saturday and enjoyed it tremendously. And I also saw The Martian, and enjoyed it, but was flabbergasted that it was in the comedy category, and won. I think the Globes should expand their categories, and perhaps develop a "Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Adventure" set of awards. If they were intent on honoring The Martian, that would have done the trick and kept the comedy category honest.

Beyond that, with the rest of the winners, it was mostly "who is (insert actors name)?" and "what is (insert movie or TV show)?". And I'll be honest, except for Brie Larson, none of these people who are unknown to me make me want to learn more about them.

• Love 1

At least Jennifer tone down the "quirkiness", but her fawning over David O. Russell was over-the-top and kind of problematic.  I worry that she is going to keep working him (because as she admit, he seems to get her these awards), and she isn't going to actually branch out and try other things.  Now that the Hunger Games are done, this would be the best opportunity to try and stretch herself, and I worry she's just going to keep working with him, in hopes he'll get her a second Oscar.

But I thought she was being sincere in that she really respects DOR and enjoys working with him

Tariji seemed completely trashed.   I wonder if the actors look at clips the next day and cringe?

Yes, she's a loud drunk. I had to turn off her speech. I was embarrassed for her. 

You know, while I appreciate Tom Hanks not wanting to give up the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to present the Cecil B. DeMille award to Denzel because he was felling under the weather, it was obvious that his voice was off so I could have done without the "be nice or I'll give you my cold" or however he put it.

We can TELL you're sick. Bringing attention to it isn't helping anything.

Well, look that the comments on this board: "He did not age well." "He looks bad." Maybe he wanted to deflect some of the criticism by explaining that he was under the weather. 

I was overjoyed to see Denzel win the Cecil B. DeMille Award, but to be honest, Tom Hanks's introduction was a better speech than Denzel's acceptance speech. It seemed to be a combination of Denzel being nervous and not having his reading glasses.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 4

My problem with Ricky Gervais is that he clearly did not want to be there.

There's a fine, blurry line between "doesn't want to be there" and "doing a brilliant piece of hilarious performance art about a host who doesn't want to be there." It's even possible for both to be true at the same time! (In fact, the second is all the funnier if the first is also true.) At least that's how I receive it.

• Love 11

There's a fine, blurry line between "doesn't want to be there" and "doing a brilliant piece of hilarious performance art about a host who doesn't want to be there." It's even possible for both to be true at the same time! (In fact, the second is all the funnier if the first is also true.) At least that's how I receive it.

There was a fine, blurry line the first time around, but three times in, the host wants to be there. Maybe he didn't want to be there deep down - maybe he resents that his US career flopped and he's still best known here for sneering at a shitty awards show that only gets notice through desperate stunts and massive doses of self-loathing - but when someone comes back this many times, the sneering starts to wear thin.

Are Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence actually making a movie together? Or are they hoping to and used their presentation to promote it?

Apparently they're BFF, and apparently, both very hungry for attention. I sound 100 years old but it's a little unnerving to see how oddly desperate for attention a lot of today's "hot young stars" seem to be, even those who are supposedly stars based on talent (since Schumer is hyped as the best comedienne ever and Lawrence the best actress ever), to a point where I hope it's put on because otherwise I wonder what they will do when the lights dim.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 10

Rachel Bloom's overexcited acceptance just came off as moronic and obnoxious.

That's how I found her show everytime I tried to watch it. It was something I thought I would really like but I thought she was so annoying that I stopped watching after three episodes.

I was very happy,suprised but happy, about the wins for Mozart in the Jungle.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2

Are Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence actually making a movie together? Or are they hoping to and used their presentation to promote it?

Sounds like the movie is real.  They're still in the script-writing phase, I think.

Beyond that, with the rest of the winners, it was mostly "who is (insert actors name)?" and "what is (insert movie or TV show)?". And I'll be honest, except for Brie Larson, none of these people who are unknown to me make me want to learn more about them.

Same.  Most of the time I was just "So this person won.  Ok, then."

Perhaps. But there is also a fine line between a "performance piece" that flies over peoples heads, and simply cashing a check and saying the lackluster effort was all part of the show.

After James Franco's legendarily bad stint hosting the Oscars, I heard people try to defend it as just such a performance piece, and it didn't really fly. Just my two cents, but it doesn't really fly for Gervais either.

For arguments sake, let's say that is exactly what they did. Then they can chalk it up as being done and knock it off. That goes for all future awards show hosts. Spare us the "performance art" and just do the fucking job. Only Andy Kaufman knew how to do that type of thing, and that was because he was willing to go all the way with it. By which I mean he was willing to actually destroy the show. Suffice it to say, hacks like Franco and Gervais don't have the balls for that.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 1

Back in 2001 Jon Stewart on The Daily Show made fun of the actresses like Julia Roberts and Renee Zellwegger acting all adorable when they won and it was more because they were actresses in their 30s who had already been around for years so them behaving like fresh faced ingenues was kind of ridiculous.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/j1epx8/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-headlines---atrophy

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

America Ferrera and Eva Longoria were very funny together.  I was very amused at first, and then laughed out loud at the randomness of "Charo."

I've liked Maura Tierney since Newsradio, and I've enjoyed her in pretty much everything I've seen her in.  I always imagined her being very intelligent and well spoken, but she was anything but well spoken in her acceptance speech.  I hope it was just due to nerves/shock at winning.  Denzel Washington was also disappointing in his acceptance, and he knew he was getting the award.

• Love 1

America Ferrera and Eva Longoria were very funny together.  I was very amused at first, and then laughed out loud at the randomness of "Charo."

I've liked Maura Tierney since Newsradio, and I've enjoyed her in pretty much everything I've seen her in.  I always imagined her being very intelligent and well spoken, but she was anything but well spoken in her acceptance speech.  I hope it was just due to nerves/shock at winning.  Denzel Washington was also disappointing in his acceptance, and he knew he was getting the award.

I've always been a teeny bit biased against Maura because I loathed her character on ER, but I think she was just shocked to win.

I got the feeling that he didn't really give a damn about the award. Given his past comments about Tarantino I wonder how he felt about Tarantino's usual idiocy.

He was upset about the constant use of the "N word" in his movies and confronted him about it on the set of Crimson Tide, which Tarantino wrote the script for. IMDB trivia:

According to a 1995 Premiere magazine article, when Quentin Tarantino visited the set, Washington confronted him about his use of the word "nigger" in his films. Tarantino got embarrassed and wanted to move the conversation to a more private area. Washington said, "No, if we're going to discuss it, let's discuss it now." Washington later said he still felt that Tarantino was "a fine artist".

• Love 1

There was a lot of glaring going on when Tarantino made his crack about ghetto composers.  Morriconi deserves an award after all this time, but Straight outa Compton should have been nominated.

I don't usually like Gervais but I totally cracked up over the line about knowing what Mel Gibson was afraid of.

There was a lot of glaring going on when Tarantino made his crack about ghetto composers.  Morriconi deserves an award after all this time, but Straight outa Compton should have been nominated.

I don't usually like Gervais but I totally cracked up over the line about knowing what Mel Gibson was afraid of.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/01/2016_golden_globes_quentin_tarantino_flubs_ennio_m.html

The funny thing is he's already won 2 Golden Globes, so either Tarantino didn't bother to hit up IMDB, or he was essentially saying they are worthless.

Edited by Pete Martell

Like there are celebrities who if they didn't have any major films or shows that year, you don't see them at all for Award season. But not our J-Lo...she'll show up and out diva them all. I genuinely do think it's kind of hilarious to be honest. Like I said, I don't knock the woman's hustle but it's like call a spade a spade. 

I really don't see the big deal about Jennifer Lopez being at the GGs. She was once nominated; therefore, you are welcomed (even invited?) to come back every year. The Oscars, well, she's an actor with a big following. I'm not seeing why we should be up in arms about Jennifer at any major awards show. Then again, I love me some J.Lo.

• Love 2

I'm not seeing why we should be up in arms about Jennifer at any major awards show.

It's not just any, it's EVERY. As in music, movies, TV, Tony's etc. As others have astutely pointed out I do realize she's on TV as well and I agree she's one hell of a superstar so I can see why should would be a welcome invited guest. I just think a bit of a break, a small absence would make some people more excited to see her when she does make an appearance. But you do you, Jenny from the block and I do realize she's an amazing talent.

Was Taraji P Henson favoured to win? I like her, but it seemed to me that she had brought a stack of cookies with her to her table and made a very rehearsed show of handing them out. I know that most everyone writes a speech, even if they think they have no chance, but the bit with the cookies was over the top.

I've never watched Empire, but I've heard about the character, and that seems like something more that the character would have done, and not a respected actress. I didn't find it funny at all.

Did Gaga forget to thank her husband, the dude from Chicago Fire?

• Love 5

I really don't see the big deal about Jennifer Lopez being at the GGs. She was once nominated; therefore, you are welcomed (even invited?) to come back every year. The Oscars, well, she's an actor with a big following. I'm not seeing why we should be up in arms about Jennifer at any major awards show. Then again, I love me some J.Lo.

FTR, stating something does not mean being up in arms about it. As I said in both my posts, I'm honestly kind of amused by the whole thing. But yeah I do also think it's kind of sad that there are some actors who have multiple nominations/wins who I sometimes never see during an Awards season but she's always there. Doesn't mean I'm up in arms about it but simply one, it's noticeable and two, I find it kind of funny and yeah kind of pathetic. Just an opinion and not much deeper than that.

Did Gaga forget to thank her husband, the dude from Chicago Fire?

Fiance and yes she did, which doesn't bode well for them. Just ask Hilary Swank and Chad Lowe (yes I know they got divorced well after that first Oscar win and her forgetting to thank him but it's still funny) and Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston, where the latter forgot to thank Brad at the Globes itself and a few months later they were separated. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

It's not just any, it's EVERY. As in music, movies, TV, Tony's etc. As others have astutely pointed out I do realize she's on TV as well and I agree she's one hell of a superstar so I can see why should would be a welcome invited guest. I just think a bit of a break, a small absence would make some people more excited to see her when she does make an appearance. But you do you, Jenny from the block and I do realize she's an amazing talent.

I think part of it is that she's also a singer. She seemingly presents some music related category at the Oscars every year. I also think it's because she's Hispanic, and there aren't that many prominent Hispanics in the business that seem to have real star power. Plus, she's really popular.

I would invite her to present at all awards shows. Because, really, if she doesn't do Best Song, it always seems to be Gwyneth Paltrow. And I loathe Gwyneth. She made one crappy duets CD and the Oscars forever tap her for music categories.

I was happy to see Leo win and upset at see Lady Gaga win for a role which is mostly a music video without the music. She (IMO), displays zero acting ability and is in AHS just for the shock value. I haven't seen most of the nominated shows and I think with so many streaming platforms as well as cable, network and premium shows, it is impossible to keep up no matter how good they are rated. I can't afford to do more than one streaming service-I am often surprised when people tell me they have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. I guess I wouldn't have time to watch that much TV anyway.

I have never found Ricky Gervais very funny and didn't think his jokes were very pointed or funny last night. I also think it is fine to poke fun at people in the audience, but making rude comments a minute before someone is presenting an award is demeaning to the people up for the award and the audience. Both Mel Gibson and Matt Damon looked visibly flustered when presenting and it looks unprofessional all the way around.

The bleeping and audio issues also created an unprofessional look. I love Denzel, but he seemed to have zero prepared which doesn't quite make sense, but at least he wasn't up there long.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

I love Denzel, but he seemed to have zero prepared which doesn't quite make sense, but at least he wasn't up there long.

I watched the red carpet show beforehand and while being interviewed he pulled what he said was his speech from his pocket. It didn't do him much good if neither he nor his wife could read it, and I couldn't help wonder why he didn't press one of his kids into service.

Love love love Eva and America! They need to do more together.

The highlight of the show, at least in terms of presenters (and possibly overall.) All presenter "patter" should be as tightly and smartly written as theirs was.

• Love 1

upset at see Lady Gaga win for a role which is mostly a music video without the music. She (IMO), displays zero acting ability and is in AHS just for the shock value.

Many a GG winner were not even nominated for the "real" award, i.e., Oscar or Emmy.  OTOH, once in a while, they manage to get things right.  For example, I was pleasantly surprised to see Oscar Isaac win for Show Me A Hero. He was truly exceptional in that limited series, even outshining (IMO) Patrick Wilson, whom I loved in Fargo.

designing1, on 11 Jan 2016 - 3:26 PM, said:

If not for the Selena mention, this could just as easily be referencing Kate Hudson. I'm sure there are others who fit the "have done nothing of note but will make themselves available for the attention and will show up looking great" bill.

Heidi Klum anyone? She's always at these damn award shows.  At least JLo and Kate are actresses.  Heidi is just there because...  who knows why? 

Pete Martell, on 11 Jan 2016 - 4:01 PM, said:

I'm not sure that they would have to stop at just one. They wanted a "shock" (since the average viewer probably wouldn't have known who a lot of the major nominees in some of the other "edgy" winner categories were anyway), and that category was probably one of them, even moreso than last year, since JtV had gotten universal critical acclaim and was doing a tad bit better in the ratings. This win and the golly gosh I won wowee kowkazowee acceptance speech woman were more of the "wow...so out of left field!!!" flavor the show loves to truck in.

As for Jon Hamm, he's a decent enough actor, but he and his Mad Men role peaked many years before it left the air, and the efforts of Tina Fey and the media at large to push him as the ideal stud just underscore for me that there's something a bit offputting about him (especially his eyes). He's better served in small doses. Good for him winning, but I can't say anything I saw from him recently was spellbinding. I guess they just wanted to say better late than never.

I disagree that Jon Hamm peaked in his role of Don Draper years before the show ended. While his most prolific performances were perhaps in earlier seasons like "The Gypsy and the Hobo" and "The Suitcase," I thought he was especially riveting in "In Care of" and "Person and Person" from the last 2 seasons.  

Inquisitionist, on 12 Jan 2016 - 08:44 AM, said:

Many a GG winner were not even nominated for the "real" award, i.e., Oscar or Emmy.  OTOH, once in a while, they manage to get things right.  For example, I was pleasantly surprised to see Oscar Isaac win for Show Me A Hero. He was truly exceptional in that limited series, even outshining (IMO) Patrick Wilson, whom I loved in Fargo.

I had never heard of Show me a Hero before Sunday, but I am going to check it out.  I was really impressed by him in Ex Machina (well, all 3 of the actors in that movie, actually)

My problem with this year's Globes was Mozart in the Jungle winning anything.  I watched the first season hoping it would get better, it didn't.  The last thing I need to see on TV is another show with a young, white, female protagonist, who comes to NYC.  UGH, it felt like I was watching "Girls" that show was so white bread.

Show me a Hero was AWESOME and so was Oscar Isaac.  

And I still love that crazy show that is Empire.  I think it's very good.

• Love 1

I didn't see the actual show, but am commenting on the shallow, fashion end of things, based on photos I've seen:

There's been a lot of mention of Jennifer Lawrence's dress as being one of (if not THE) best of the night.  Personally, while I thought the color was good on her, I found the weird overlong bodice combined with the cutouts to be very unflattering.

• Love 4

Hamm needs to get hooked up with the Coen Brothers and do some crazy oddball role in one of their films, like Clooney did in O Brother Where Art Thou. 

He's very good at comedy and he will commit.  What he did in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was hilarious.  

He was good in The Town, but he was just kinda playing himself.  

• Love 3