Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: (I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

News of a top player looking to move to London sends English clubs into a frenzy.  Richmond plays their first game back in the Premiere league.

Original airdate 3/22/2023

I liked seeing Keely start to return to herself.   She started pretty unconfident.  She has no education or training, basically learning as she went when she worked for Rebecca.  Heading her own firm…huge difference and level of responsibility and she was floundering. Then her friend Shandy pipes up with the sort of common sense solution a more confident Keely would have made and I think she started to stamp out of her tentativeness.  Then her CEO was nasty to Shandy and Keely went into protective mode.  She’s going to win over the team the Venture Capital firm forced on her and thrive. 

Roy is starting to acknowledge his own insecurities.  He has been carrying around that stupid article since he was 17.   He still has to deal with his retirement….I think he wonders if he left too soon, even if he knows it was the right choice due to his knee.  And I loved seeing how they decorated his desk  

Rebecca reclaimed her power too after initially just accepting Rupert would best her.  

Great how they integrated Trent Crimm.    No update on Sam and Rebecca.   Rupert’s team won their first game and he was gloating, but losing the guy to Rebecca, he’s going to go ballistic and find some way to get back at her. 

No Nate, but since his team one their first game, I’m sure he is both gloating and terrified.    He is on top of the world but now he has even more to lose and potentially public humiliation, if he doesn’t continue to perform.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I liked the moment when Rupert told Rebecca that men get tired of the same old thing. You could see it really pierced her soul. Good acting there. 

She was shook but she held it together this time. I am a little bit worried about how this new guy will treat Richmond but loved when he kept the pen.

This episode felt like the Ted Lasso of old and that makes me happy..

• Like 15
15 minutes ago, sjankis630 said:

She was shook but she held it together this time. I am a little bit worried about how this new guy will treat Richmond but loved when he kept the pen.

This episode felt like the Ted Lasso of old and that makes me happy..

I was also worried about how the team would feel if this guy joined, but luckily they are happy about it. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I was also worried about how the team would feel if this guy joined, but luckily they are happy about it. 

Everyone except Jamie, I'm pretty sure! That's gonna be interesting. Also, Zava is 100% Zlatan Ibrahimovic-based and I'm so here for it. (This guy rejected doing a trial at Arsenal back when he was still an untested youngster because "Zlatan doesn't do trials".)

I loved this episode, laughed out loud throughout. And there were a lot of touching moments between the laughs. (I liked the fact that Roy's objection to Jamie going in for a hug was "You came at me too fast" and not to the idea of hugging.) I hope they don't drag out the Roy and Keeley thing for too long - I refuse to believe they're not endgame, and it'd make me sad if this is the last season and we don't actually get more than a couple of episodes of them happy and back together.

Rupert is such a twat. When Rebecca said that line about being surprised that he left Richmond for West Ham I was nodding along so hard. I wonder if there was a specific reason for why the show runners chose West Ham for this arch nemesis storyline, though. They're not a club anyone would actually tip to win the league and they could've just invented a club for that story arc, too.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Schweedie said:

I hope they don't drag out the Roy and Keeley thing for too long - I refuse to believe they're not endgame, and it'd make me sad if this is the last season and we don't actually get more than a couple of episodes of them happy and back together.

I agree, but also like what they appear to be doing - letting Keeley come into her own at this new level.  Finding her power while maintaining her Keeleyness, and letting Roy grow out of the pressure and expectations put on him by himself and others, since he was a kid, and just being OK enjoying the experience.  It's going to make them so much better together, and a healthier couple for the long game.

Loved that we got the origin story of Roy's hatred of Trent Crimm, because we never really saw Trent being the prick Roy accused him of being, in season one.  Asking at the first press conference if hiring Ted was a joke may have come off prickish, but it was a reasonable question, and in his profile of Ted, he was reluctantly, but decisively, supportive of him.  So, that scene was helpful.

Also loved that we got to see Rebecca kind of do the "making herself bigger" gesture she showed Keeley and Nate, internally, and using her insight into people to use the approach Zava would most viscerally respond to.  And that she had gotten to a place where Rupert's cruelness emboldened instead of crushing her.  Still hurts, but manifests a better outcome.  

And a little moment - which, I'm not sure whether it was a Jamie thing, or a Phil Dunster thing, but I'm leaning towards Phil - trying to keep a straight face after one of Roy's rants and storming out of the locker room moments.  

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Copying over my Tumblr post since Primetimer was down after my initial watch and I had a lot of feelings.

THIS is my show. First of all, I laughed SO much more this week than last week. It just felt more lived in.

Okay, Roy and Jamie. I know they are just messing with us, but also, so much growth for Jamie to find out that Roy and Keeley broke up (more on THAT in a minute) and immediately check on Roy, even though he knows he’s likely to get his head bit off. I mean, he tried to HUG him - absolute aces!

I love that Keeley is doing a bit more to stand up for herself this week instead of being cowed by her CFO, but I wished she did a little more. While she may regret hiring her friend (though having mimosas on the company card does actually seem to be a Keeley / Rebecca idea, but I get that she’s the boss and/or knows her friend better to know that’s not a good idea), said friend did have an actually productive idea at the shoot they just came from, which saved the client money, which made the client happy. And the KJ of KJPR is also a former model, who I’m guessing didn’t go to college, so perhaps Barbara could back off with the judgment a bit. I get that she doesn’t want to be there or works for Rupert or whatever the other shoe is going to be in this storyline, but the company that Barbara works for, that’s bankrolling KJPR thinks that Keeley is good enough at her job to you know, bankroll KJPR, so maybe get on board? I mean, is it coming out of Barbara’s bank account if Keeley hosts a picnic in the conference (not even an expensive or wild idea?)? But glad to know that Keeley did NOT hire those people in the bullpen because they did NOT seem like Keeley’s people. I’m sad that she’s got her own company, but she didn’t hire any of the staff, isn’t allowed to use her company credit card, and basically can’t make any decisions on her own. I did like that she set Barbara straight about how she speaks to people, but still. Hopefully, Keeley will start to share her brand of sparkle with the office drones and have a little more KJ in the KJPR firm.

The locker room scene made me laugh out loud SO MANY TIMES. The Coach Beard Noise (tm) made me scream every time and I loved it! I’ve bit a little put off by the fact that Jamie’s locker has been moved to the corner by the coach’s office because it seems like he’s on an island away from the rest of the guys, but I figured it was a way to be able to shoot around Phil if needed or do Phil’s coverage separate. And tonight, it meant that Phil was in the background of Ted’s speech and he was just cracking up. I mean, I assume there’s a Jamie reason for him to be smiling/laughing when no one else is, but it also just looked like Phil thought the camera was tight on Jason and he was just laughing. Either way, love.

Great use with Will Kitman tonight - both him wanting to hang out with Roy and Jamie (when please!) and then not knowing what a CD is. Incredible!

Interesting to see that Trent Crimm is writing a book on Richmond - always happy for more Trent Crimm, but what is the angle for a book about Richmond? Really, really LOVED Roy reading the article in his wallet to Trent and Trent knowing exactly what it was. Also, I think I’m totally seeing what those Trent/Ted shippers were seeing - chemistry whoo!

Brett Goldstein was incredible tonight and he kept me riveted through his final little monologue about Roy’s leaving Chelsea. So, Roy broke up with Keeley before he thought Keeley would break up with him. I really hope we dig more into what’s in Roy’s past that makes me act this way. (Also - am I dumb? Who is Rita from the C card?) But the scene where Trent takes a phone call and Roy starts systematically popping the balloons - exquisite!

Almost forgot about the whole Zavo of it all! Love that they are leaning into Rupert as Darth Vader with that long-ass coat when he leaves after Zavo. Love Rebecca absolutely laying into Zavo and it working like a charm. A little nervous because Jamie is definitely FEELINGS about another star player coming to his team, but hopefully, he won’t revert to Prick!Jamie without cause. You can already see that Jamie doesn’t want to share Dani and Dani is already very starstruck. Also very interested to see if Ted can win this one over because it does not seem like his brand of motivation is going to work with Zavo.

No Nate tonight and though I think Nick Mohammed is doing a great job, I did not miss Nate in the slightest.

I will DEFINITELY be watching this one again!

• Like 8
  • Love 5

I loved the bits where Roy is talking about an old Chelsea game and Trent immediate knew what the score was. He’s 100% a fan. Plus James Lance has the best voice ever. Really amazing. And hair. 

• Like 14
  • Love 2

What fascinated me is that Trent Crimm is in a completely different position now, where he's the one who has to ask for things at Richmond, instead of lobbing poisonous darts from the press gallery. The acting was great: very tentative, knowing he can't be the asshole he was known to be. But that transition started last season when he burned a source (and got fired) because of his admiration for Ted. (WILL he become one of the Diamond Dogs? I bet he will.)

I kept thinking: Trent/Rebecca? Maybe. They kind of click.

I think Roy & Keeley are going to get back together sooner rather than later, because once Roy diagnoses a problem he has, he gets over it!

Also, the continual WHAT? when Roy reveals he broke up with Keeley was classic slow-burn comedy and hysterical.

"I MADE A GOAL WITH MY FACE!"

Also, you can tell the CFO is miserable as a venture capitalist footsoldier and would like to do anything other than take her grim crew around the world as a watchdog for the seed money her bosses throw at startups.

• Like 23
35 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Also, you can tell the CFO is miserable as a venture capitalist footsoldier and would like to do anything other than take her grim crew around the world as a watchdog for the seed money her bosses throw at startups.

YES! All the sno-globes were touching and telling. The CFO has been a lot of places, but she hasn't been able to really live any place. All she has are her sno-globes. I'm hoping for her to become a good ally for Keeley.

• Like 15
7 minutes ago, Juneau Gal said:

YES! All the sno-globes were touching and telling. The CFO has been a lot of places, but she hasn't been able to really live any place. All she has are her sno-globes. I'm hoping for her to become a good ally for Keeley.

I thought this, too! I think there's more behind her stiff facade than we've seen so far, for sure.

46 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

What fascinated me is that Trent Crimm is in a completely different position now, where he's the one who has to ask for things at Richmond, instead of lobbing poisonous darts from the press gallery. The acting was great: very tentative, knowing he can't be the asshole he was known to be. But that transition started last season when he burned a source (and got fired) because of his admiration for Ted. (WILL he become one of the Diamond Dogs? I bet he will.)

I'm manifesting it.

And yeah, I really enjoyed Trent this episode. Seeing him being awkward was new, and his immediate apology to Roy about the article was a nice touch. Writing that about seventeen-year-old making his debut was a dick move, and it was nice that he recognised that.

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

The locker room scene made me laugh out loud SO MANY TIMES. 

The whole bit of the Zava/Trent/Roy thing made me think it was nod to the Monty Python and the Holy Grail scene where the guards kept getting confused about who to guard:  ""you stay here and make sure he doesn't leave".."Who ? The prince?..". 

Well done writers, I loved it. 

Bonus : Trent's flinch at  "CRIMM!!"

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Seelouis said:

Ted’s explanation of Hallmark Christmas movies was gold.

This!👆

Feel free to throw tomatoes🍅🍅🍅, but is there any chance the Roy will wind up with the teacher or even someone else, and Keeley and Ted will discover they're soulmates? 

This dialog at the end of this episode seemed to at least confirm that it could be possible:

• [TED] Hey, Roy. I'm just curious, what was it like being back at Chelsea? All them fans sure were happy to see you. 
  • [ROY] I don't know. Just felt... sad. Or something.
  • [TED] Really? Why is that?
  • [ROY (SIGHS, CLEARS THROAT)] Last season I was there, we played a match against Arsenal, and we fսcking murdered 'em. ...  But I played like shit. Right? [GRUNTS] I did. That was the first time, ever, I thought, I can't keep up anymore. I'm not good enough. And that was all I could think about for the rest of the year. I knew it was only gonna get worse. So at the end of the season, I left. ... I didn't wanna be one of them broken-down footballers just taking up space until they're dropped, years after they should have been.
  • [TED] Yeah, well, a lot of folks think it's better to quit than to be fired, you know?
  • [ROY] Yeah. But going back there today... there's a part of me... thinking maybe I should have stayed... and just fսcking... enjoyed myself. But that is not who I am, I guess. 
  • [TED (MAKING A CUTE FACE, CHUCKLING)] But, hey, if you wouldn't have left Chelsea when you did, we probably never would have met.
  • [EXITS]
  • [TED TO TRENT] Sport.
  • [TRENT] It's quite the metaphor. 
3 hours ago, kwnyc said:

I kept thinking: Trent/Rebecca? Maybe. They kind of click.

Me too - for the utterly insane reason that they both had glorious hair in their first scene together!

Rupert might have worn a villain cape but dammit, Rebecca wore a badass coat. And so my infatuation with her wardrobe continues.

I'm also in the tiny club who thinks Roy and the teacher would make a good couple. Keeley and reformed Jaimie work better for me than Keeley. Speaking of Keeley I really hope she stops floundering - the snow globe scene was great and hopefully signifies a turn-around. I see trouble ahead though - her friend's text message about using the company card for getting champagne (?) in the morning pretty much confirmed the CFO's assumptions.

Wow, Roy - carrying that article around for over a decade? Doctor Sharon would have thoughts on that. I was impressed how fast he faltered once he realized Ted was not in a joking mood. Serious Ted is such a rare sight it makes even Roy Kent pause.

Who's Liza???

• Like 7

I laughed every time Coach Beard screamed at something. And when Roy walked into the locker room and everyone tilted their heads and went "Awww."

This episode was definitely funnier than last week's.

• Like 14
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Trillium said:

I felt the same. This was the show I love.  The last episode just made me sad, but I’m not worried about the season, they know what they are doing. I loved everything about it. Jamie trying to comfort Roy (I 100% expect him to help bring Roy and Keeley back together), Trent Crimm and his amazing hair, Keeley bringing some Believe energy to her PR firm, and Rebecca being a fucking force of nature. And then there is Roy, and his not so subtle metaphor about Chelsea/Keeley. The new player is going to be interesting, but if Jamie Tartt can become empathetic, there’s hope for most people. Except Rupert, he can fuck all the way off.

That was my thought, too. When she went into Barbara's office to make it clear she couldn't talk like that to Shandy, then had a nice heart-to-heart over the snow globes, I thought, "She's being her own Ted Lasso!" I'd love to see her really get her Keeley mojo back and turn that soulless by-the-numbers office into a business that's really her own.

4 hours ago, LADreamr said:

I agree, but also like what they appear to be doing - letting Keeley come into her own at this new level.  Finding her power while maintaining her Keeleyness, and letting Roy grow out of the pressure and expectations put on him by himself and others, since he was a kid, and just being OK enjoying the experience.  It's going to make them so much better together, and a healthier couple for the long game.

I agree. It bums me out that they broke up to begin with, since Roy/Keeley was one of my go-to examples that happy couples could still be entertaining. But if they use the time apart to grow individually--Keeley becoming a success in her own way, Roy getting over some of his hang-ups--they could be in an even better place when they eventually get back together. Plus, everybody's breakup sympathy for Roy had me howling.

Loved Rebecca nabbing Zava without sweet talking him, the Chelsea crowd cheering for Roy, Dani eagerly wondering if Zava saw the goal he made with his face, Roy pulling out that article and Trent apologizing for it, and Higgins coming back to Rebecca with, "So I talked to my son's karate teacher..." Great episode!

• Like 11
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

This!👆

Feel free to throw tomatoes🍅🍅🍅, but is there any chance the Roy will wind up with the teacher or even someone else, and Keeley and Ted will discover they're soulmates? 

This dialog at the end of this episode seemed to at least confirm that it could be possible:

• [TED] Hey, Roy. I'm just curious, what was it like being back at Chelsea? All them fans sure were happy to see you. 
  • [ROY] I don't know. Just felt... sad. Or something.
  • [TED] Really? Why is that?
  • [ROY (SIGHS, CLEARS THROAT)] Last season I was there, we played a match against Arsenal, and we fսcking murdered 'em. ...  But I played like shit. Right? [GRUNTS] I did. That was the first time, ever, I thought, I can't keep up anymore. I'm not good enough. And that was all I could think about for the rest of the year. I knew it was only gonna get worse. So at the end of the season, I left. ... I didn't wanna be one of them broken-down footballers just taking up space until they're dropped, years after they should have been.
  • [TED] Yeah, well, a lot of folks think it's better to quit than to be fired, you know?
  • [ROY] Yeah. But going back there today... there's a part of me... thinking maybe I should have stayed... and just fսcking... enjoyed myself. But that is not who I am, I guess. 
  • [TED (MAKING A CUTE FACE, CHUCKLING)] But, hey, if you wouldn't have left Chelsea when you did, we probably never would have met.
  • [EXITS]
  • [TED TO TRENT] Sport.
  • [TRENT] It's quite the metaphor. 

I’m not sure how that leads to Ted and Keeley being soulmates. To me that was basically confirming Roy and Keeley end back up together. Roy quit too soon with Chelsea and right now is doing the same thing with Keeley, but as Ted alluded to, this time can be different. 

And I’m sorry but I don’t get the obsession with the teacher and what’s so interesting about her that people want more of her. I mean whatever but I just don’t believe a character with no first name is who Roy ends up with. 

FYI, Liza (the “plenty of fish in the sea” card sender) is the staff person keeping the Ice Bucket Challenge alive.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

This was a much better episode. I love how they were finding out about all the things they ended up with Zava is writing a book about Trent Crimm.

I would love for Keeley to be the Ted in her new career. Besides the CFO who started out looking down on her the rest just seem like they don't know how to deal with someone with a bubbly personality. Like the snow gloves she can find things they like to liven up the place.

I loved Rebecca going with prove you are the best by getting the worst team to win. I do wonder how it will work with the team. They just got to the point where gel as a team. Jamie's checking his ego and now they got another one. One that is worse because imo because he refers to himself in the third person. Do we think Ted can reach him and get him to stay in a team for more than a year. 

• Like 5

I loved the team’s collective shock at Roy & Keely’s breakup, and how invested they all seem to be in that relationship. The scene where Jamie tried to comfort Roy was awkward, sweet, and hilarious. I have enjoyed seeing Jamie evolving into a person rather than a “type.”

• Like 4
  • Love 5

This show is so cozy. A return to form this ep.

I liked how all the story lines are coming together for everyone. I thought Ted was particularly great this episode. I loved his text to Keeley. Chef's kiss on the scene between Ted and Roy. Ted was firm with Roy to knock it off and Brett played that abashed expression well. It's sometimes easy to forget that Ted is he gaffer and the boss. I thought both actors were so true to the characters and their working relationship right there. Same with when Ted fluttered his eyelashes at Roy at the end.

Zava is basically a mix of all the top dramatic and popular footballers. Jamie is not looking forward to it but it'll be a good challenge to his growth.

I love Trent Crimm including his great fashion sense.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Jamie has shown so much growth, old Jamie would've absolutely gone after Keeley and asked her out. New Jamie goes to check on Roy, knowing Roy hates that. 

Now with Zava he'll probably see how the rest of the team felt when someone's ego takes up all the space in the room. 

I didn't even notice we didn't see Nate at all. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

So much to love!  

I want to sour-yell someone.  
I loved getting a hint of Rebecca’s backstory. So happy Trent is back.  Coach Beard’s yell was awesome!

That was the most firm I can remember seeing Ted, which will come in handy (I hope) as he deals with Zava.  I think he’s going to need the heavier hand.  Remember in the first season when Ted was trying to reunite Roy and Jamie at the gala and talked to Roy about being an upstart who disrespected the veteran?  I wonder if that will now pass to Jamie and Zava and Jamie has to be the veteran.

Keeley said the team financing Bantr were funding her PR Group.  Since they sponsor Richmond, I assume Rupert can’t be behind them.  Though it could be fun that he is shown to be the main guy and gets banned from football ownership for having financial interests in two teams.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

Of course Ted said “yes” to Trent writing a book on Richmond because Ted never gives up on someone. Do Rebecca, Leslie, and Keely know Ted at all?

I don’t think Zava will stay long at Richmond because the story arc will be the team needs to realize they win by playing together not by having a big star. I predict he pulls a diva move and they fire him.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

New Jamie goes to check on Roy, knowing Roy hates that. 

New Jamie even has an "empathy" face!

That whole scene was great with Roy being properly freaked out over said empathy face to Jamie's retort about the elderly 'being skittish cause of the war' after the failed hug attempt. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 15
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I wonder if that will now pass to Jamie and Zava and Jamie has to be the veteran.

Zava's getting older. He was said to have been with, what, 14 teams in 15 years. He's hearing footsteps. that's why Rebecca's tongue lashing at the urinal got to him. He's edging up on Roy Kent territory, while Jamie is a virtual whippersnapper.

ETA: Shandy/Jamie. Yeah.

ETA: Keeley's funders are venture capitalists. They liked the way she promoted Bantr, and decided to give her the money to start her own PR firm, though unlike some Silicon Valley types, they seem to keep a firm hand on the budget with a Corporate Flying Object.

Edited by kwnyc
  • Like 5
  • Useful 4
5 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Zava's getting older. He was said to have been with, what, 14 teams in 15 years. He's hearing footsteps. that's why Rebecca's tongue lashing at the urinal got to him. He's edging up on Roy Kent territory, while Jamie is a virtual whippersnapper.

Yup. I'm really curious to see how that dynamic is going to play out, actually - he's clearly older, but at the same time immature. Will the rest of the team continue to fawn, or will he be an arsehole who turns them off him when they see what he's really like? If they intend to go with him learning to embrace the team spirit, eh. I'm not sure we need a rehash of Jamie's story arc.

Rebecca's "And you eat too much fucking asparagus!" cracked me up so much.

@Dac22 said:

New Jamie even has an "empathy" face!

That whole scene was great with Roy being properly freaked out over said empathy face to Jamie's retort about the elderly 'being skittish cause of the war' after the failed hug attempt. 

I loved the look on Roy's face after Jamie said he just came to see if Roy was okay - he went from pissed off to confused to maybe slightly touched in like a second and a half.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Like 8
  • Love 2

They're really emphasizing that Rupert lives in Rebecca's head, and that she's making decisions based on what she thinks will hurt him the most.

By the end of the season, I think she'll be at a place where she doesn't care what he does.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2

Jamie trying to comfort Roy and his revulsion....and then Jamie saying, "I forgot how skittish elderly people are because of the war."   And the chef kiss was Roy having zero reaction to that statement.    I do enjoy the budding bromance between those two. 

The Beard screams made me laugh each and every time.  

I was surprised that Zava went with Richmond.   I thought they needed much more adversary in the beginning of the season to overcome.   But then again, Zava seems to be this season's version of season one's Jamie Tartt.   A guy who cares more about himself than the team.   So, we'll see if once again Ted & Co can work their magic.  

I did love when they showed a window into Roy's vulnerability this episode.   Him holding on to Crimm's words to 17 year old Roy and how he carried that with him like the crumpled up article.   

Also, I can't be the only one who felt Roy was talking about Keeley just as much as Chelsea when he mentioned he wished he had stuck with it and not quit....he broke up with her because it is better to quit than to be fired.   

Not even a second of Nate in this episode.   I both want and don't want Nate to have some redemption this season.   I can't believe he is the villain he has turned out to be, so I have to hope that he has a Grinch like arc and by the end of this season his heart grows three times its size.   I wanna believe in Nate intrinsic goodness, even if he does not.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

They're really emphasizing that Rupert lives in Rebecca's head, and that she's making decisions based on what she thinks will hurt him the most.

By the end of the season, I think she'll be at a place where she doesn't care what he does.

Exactly -- the opposite of love isn't hate; it's indifference.

• Like 14

I admit alot of the British-accent dialog zips past me, so this isn't an in-depth analysis...

I just wanted to see more of Ted. Don't care about Keeley's business, really don't like Zava (and can't imagine that being a realistic way soccer players move around), not invested in Crimm's book. We don't need new characters now!

But loved some of Ted's lines (him, I can understand!)

"Beg to differ, Claudia Schiffer"

"Hey, I just said 'football'!"

and best of all: 

"We're going to a play about menstruation."

"Don't wanna be late."

Edited by highway61
typo
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

For her sake I certainly hope so! She is much too fabulous to be saddled with that prick in her head all of the time. 

This episode the show was back in form for me. But there are so many moving pieces, I wish they would slow down just a smidge. Let storylines and characters breathe a bit. 

I'm thrilled that Keeley finally put her foot down, however gingerly, with the CFO. I really do want her and her company to succeed and the stuff with Roy is really secondary for me. Although I've never been *THAT* emotionally invested in any of the romantic relationships on this show so that's me, not them. But I did love how invested the lads were in trying to comfort Roy. 

Zava is going to be an unmitigated disaster with this group. And I found it hard to believe that after 3 years, Ted still didn't know who he was. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Zava is going to be an unmitigated disaster with this group. And I found it hard to believe that after 3 years, Ted still didn't know who he was. 

It would be like the head coach of an NFL team having no idea who Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes are. Not very believable.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
29 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

It would be like the head coach of an NFL team having no idea who Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes are. Not very believable.

Could just be a reflex…he is so used to playing dumb which makes folks underestimate him, that it is sometimes automatic.   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I found that believable because they made the point that Zava is coming to the Premiere League for the first time (because his wife loved The Office 🤣) and I find it completely believable that Ted doesn't know players outside of the league in which he's coaching.  After all, he just called it "football" for the first time. 😄 

• Like 12
17 hours ago, Athena said:

Zava is basically a mix of all the top dramatic and popular footballers.

There's certainly no shortate of arrogant footballers out there, but everything about Zava just screams Zlatan. From theh way he looks, the fake bio (Albeit exaggerated. 9 teams in 23 years; but that's quite a lot for a top-level player), the attitude, the body language (Again exaggerated). Will be interesting to see where they go with it. Whichever way they go I'm sure there'll be a lot of ridiculousness. 

• Like 10
2 hours ago, AnnMarie17 said:

I found that believable because they made the point that Zava is coming to the Premiere League for the first time (because his wife loved The Office 🤣) and I find it completely believable that Ted doesn't know players outside of the league in which he's coaching.  After all, he just called it "football" for the first time. 😄 

That was my interpretation as well. I think they said he's left Juventus? Knowing all the players in the EPL (and I suppose the Championship from last season when they were relegated) is a lot for someone who doesn't have any background in football/soccer. I give him a pass if he doesn't know everyone in the other Euro leagues.

I'll echo everyone in that this was a great episode and great return to form. There were a lot of laugh out loud moments. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take the Zava on Richmond storyline. This show always surprises me and rarely disappoints me, so I'm not even going to try to speculate on that front.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, AnnMarie17 said:

Yup. Richmond aren't playing in any European cups, I find it completely plausible Ted hasn't looked into European players or watches matches from other leagues. They have scouts for that.

2 hours ago, Lathund said:

There's certainly no shortate of arrogant footballers out there, but everything about Zava just screams Zlatan. From theh way he looks, the fake bio (Albeit exaggerated. 9 teams in 23 years; but that's quite a lot for a top-level player), the attitude, the body language (Again exaggerated). Will be interesting to see where they go with it. Whichever way they go I'm sure there'll be a lot of ridiculousness. 

Again, yup. This is the guy, in case anyone is curious. 😅 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
2 hours ago, Night Cheese said:

I give him a pass if he doesn't know everyone in the other Euro leagues.

I don't think anyone expects Ted to know everyone in the other Euro leagues. But Zava must be one of the biggest names in football, from the way everyone responded to him.

Then again, I may be the wrong person for that plot point, because I've never found it believable that Ted, post-season one, knows so little about football. If he doesn't know basic stuff about the sport, what on earth does he spend his days doing? (Besides sessions with Dr. Sharon and giving motivational speeches, that is.)

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Schweedie said:

Yup. Richmond aren't playing in any European cups, I find it completely plausible Ted hasn't looked into European players or watches matches from other leagues. They have scouts for that.

They should be playing in the FA cup. That would be fun to see.

Honestly, while there are charming moments, I’m underwhelmed so far. The ‘aw shucks’ is exhausting with Ted. Two years in & you are still wildly uninformed as a coach? Nope. Not amusing at all. It was interesting to me at end, w/Roy//Ted/Crimm & roy talking about how he should have stayed even if he wasn’t up to it to just enjoy it. Maybe point is Ted knows he’s not good & wont fix things, got what he needed in fixing himself last year & even though he knows he’s not the answer, he enjoys these folks & will stay this season, for better/worse for team, because it makes him happy. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1