Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Not of fan of the new champ. Slow chooser. 

I'll take...uhhh....let's see ....maybe ....let me talk slow.

Spit it out

Yeah...hope she's gone soon

• Like 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Tonight I decided Mayim pauses before ruling on each response because she has to check her cards (or her screen, or whatever they give her) and she hasn't looked at or memorized what they say. It annoyed me a lot this time. CLEAR THE BOARD. Don't waste time!

Yes and some of them are obvious. Like 'what are you waiting for...it's correct'

• Like 9
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Tonight I decided Mayim pauses before ruling on each response because she has to check her cards (or her screen, or whatever they give her) and she hasn't looked at or memorized what they say. 

I am slightly skeptical of this theory. It's not a game of Trivial Pursuit where she would physically have to turn the card over to see the response -- presumably her script has the clue and response together and she has seen them, reviewed them, confirmed pronunciation, and rehearsed them. Is she still less familiar with the information than Ken? Yes, I'm sure, in a lot of cases. (Although it might be interesting to compare her response time in clues where she obviously is familiar with the material -- she may also unfortunately just have a slower reflex. I know I have been in situations where I can't get a word in edgewise because my sense of how long the gaps needs to be for me to fill it is just enough longer than my colleague's that they start up again before I reply.) And it would be great if she can speed up slightly. But I refuse to believe she is going in cold.

• Like 5

When they were doing the rotating hosts, with a new one every week, I don't recall ANY of them pausing like this. So either she is UNCOMMONLY slow with her reflexes, or she is the ONLY person who has not prepared and is going in cold. Or maybe she thinks the pauses add delightful suspense.

Either way, I'm sick of it.

• Like 14
  • Applause 4

Is it even remotely possible that Mayim is pausing for dramatic effect? (Because, you know, actor.)

I don't really think so, but I can't come up with another reason for the annoying pauses.

• Like 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m not picking on you here, but we get this same comment every time a long running champ gets defeated. Can we all just agree that:

1- Playing multiple games in a single day (or a succession of days) must be mentally stressful. Just getting yourself to a state of total focus and concentration, over and over, has to take a toll. 

I've been posting on this thread a much shorter time than many here, and I only post sporadically.  Sorry if my comment was a duplicate.  Silly me for not reading all previous posts. 🙂

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Hugs 3

The best part of last night (besides getting a new champion after a streak of impressive but boring runaway games) was having my Miami Dolphins as a clue!  Fins up!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Last night was an archive game for me.  I couldn't think of anything except Romeo and Juliet for FJ, so I wrote that down even though I knew with absolute certainty that it was incorrect.  I agree, though, that Benedict is not pronounced the same as Benedick, and the ruling was fair.

I only got three TS -- missing man, summit, and succumb.

I'll be out of town the next two weeks -- Norway, y'all! -- but I'll catch up when I return.

• Like 11
  • Applause 4
3 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I've been posting on this thread a much shorter time than many here, and I only post sporadically.  Sorry if my comment was a duplicate.  Silly me for not reading all previous posts. 🙂

No apology needed. And you don't have to read all the previous posts either (what a waste of time that could be!)  So glad there's a new champ in town. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

No apology needed. And you don't have to read all the previous posts either (what a waste of time that could be!)  So glad there's a new champ in town. 

I was just going to say something similar.  We're generally a pretty nice bunch here and if someone says "I’m not picking on you here" you can take them at their word ♥️

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I’m not picking on you here, but we get this same comment every time a long running champ gets defeated. Can we all just agree that:

Yep, every time.  And louder when it's a woman unseating a male champ.

5 hours ago, NoReally said:

Is it even remotely possible that Mayim is pausing for dramatic effect? (Because, you know, actor.)

Since the only time I ever notice a pause from her is on the DDs, that's my assumption.

I wasn't home last night, and only checked the archive for FJ, which I did not get.  But I certainly knew it wasn't Romeo & Juliet and can't believe two contestants guessed that.  Maybe just to have something to write down, not actually thinking it was that obvious?

• Like 5

Cue the internet whining about the judges not accepting Ben's FJ answer because of the spelling.  They never rule it correct if the spelling changes the pronunciation, and Benedict is pronounced differently from Benedick.  Only a slight difference, true, but a difference nonetheless.

I give him credit for getting that close.  I had no answer.  I love Much Ado About Nothing but it's been too long since I've read or seen it, I guess.  I highly recommend the Kenneth Branagh film for, among its many other pleasures, Branagh's and Emma Thompson's magnificent performances as Beatrice and Benedick.

10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Since the only time I ever notice a pause from her is on the DDs, that's my assumption.

She pauses for every single answer, unfortunately, which is why I don't think it's for dramatic effect.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I think he was phonetically correct, at least. 

No, they are pronounced differently.  Dick versus dic-t.

18 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Benedick and Appalachin — I don’t see why one was called wrong and the other was allowed.

Because Appalachin is an acceptable alternate pronunciation of Appalachian  whereas Benedict is pronounced differently from Benedict.  The 't' on the end changes it.

• Like 5

I am usually a huge supporter of women - in general. However, after witnessing just how superior Ken is as "host" (I thought he did an exceptional job during the Masters' tournament) vs Mayim's teeheehee at last night's DD (it was an exceptionally exaggerated giggle to me) and her constant pauses (they're only a nanosecond; however, they seem to be about 2 nanoseconds too long), I vote 100% to make Ken the (only) host of J! This being said by someone who wasn't super keen on him being host at all... I retract all my hesitations IN FULL. Sorry, Ken, for my crankiness (my Alex T fan status is finally starting to rest in peace).

Ben's loss was a tough one. Sooooo close and yet WRONG! (Notice how quickly Mayim announced his demise?) That's gotta hurt. If he'd left off the "t", I think he'd be ruled correct. JMO.

Bravo to the new champ. Her pauses rival Mayim's. LOL

• Like 11
43 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I wasn't home last night, and only checked the archive for FJ, which I did not get.  But I certainly knew it wasn't Romeo & Juliet and can't believe two contestants guessed that.  Maybe just to have something to write down, not actually thinking it was that obvious?

That would have been me.  Write down a couple from Shakespeare even if you know it's not right.  Meanwhile I was rapidly trying to access my Church Latin (pre-Vatican II and pre-3rd grade), and my high school Latin (thanks dear Sister Mary Octogenarian), but nothing was coming up.  Even if I had dredged up the Beatitudes, I didn't have enough Shakespeare to get to the right answer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

And louder when it's a woman unseating a male champ.

I'm the one who originally posted that Ben seemed exhausted, and I'm a woman.  I have no idea what you mean by your post, but OK, whatever.

• Like 1

It’s not only the pausing that annoys me. She also has to give the full answer every time when the contestant gave the appropriate last name, town etc. Ken doesn’t do that. An example would be the contestant answers Chicago and she will say “Yes, that’s Chicago Illinois”. It comes off like she thinks people won’t know it is she doesn’t explain. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
21 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm the one who originally posted that Ben seemed exhausted, and I'm a woman.  I have no idea what you mean by your post, but OK, whatever.

It's pretty straightforward -- as the other poster said, your post was merely a jumping off point for noting that every time a long-time champ's run comes to an end, there is speculation (on the internet, period, not just here) they, being tired from playing so many games, are relieved to be done, or even effectively threw the game.  I noted the additional factor that when it's a woman who has unseated a male champion, there tends to be more of those posts (especially of the wild "He didn't want to play anymore so let her win" variety).  It's a long-standing pattern. 

(I agree with the other poster's reaction to those posts - again, the overall collection of them; it's not about your theorizing he wasn't unhappy to lose in particular - that, sure, it's tiring, so especially on games that were their fifth of a five-game shooting day, they can be mentally wiped out, but they want to keep winning, so when they lose it's simply because someone else beat them, not because they decided, eh, I no longer care if I keep winning potentially tens of thousands of dollars for 20 minutes' work.)

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

No, they are pronounced differently.  Dick versus dic-t

I was referring to quahog (which he himself said he wasn't sure he pronounced right).

Correct pronunciation is ko-hog and he seemed to settle on kwa-hog, which does match the spelling (I do the same thing; not a word I come across very often so I tend to forget how it's pronounced...though maybe now I won't...).

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It's pretty straightforward -- as the other poster said, your post was merely a jumping off point for noting that every time a long-time champ's run comes to an end, there is speculation (on the internet, period, not just here) they, being tired from playing so many games, are relieved to be done, or even effectively threw the game.  I noted the additional factor that when it's a woman who has unseated a male champion, there tends to be more of those posts (especially of the wild "He didn't want to play anymore so let her win" variety).  It's a long-standing pattern. 

(I agree with the other poster's reaction to those posts - again, the overall collection of them; it's not about your theorizing he wasn't unhappy to lose in particular - that, sure, it's tiring, so especially on games that were their fifth of a five-game shooting day, they can be mentally wiped out, but they want to keep winning, so when they lose it's simply because someone else beat them, not because they decided, eh, I no longer care if I keep winning potentially tens of thousands of dollars for 20 minutes' work.)

Yes. Definitely agree.

Although, Ben may be the exception of a long-running champ who is actually tired (but not tired of winning!).

Ben’s run was interrupted by a bout of Covid, which, together with his massaging his eyes during the very quick DD “breaks” might indicate he suffers to some degree from “Long Covid” syndrome.😔 

Regardless, Ben definitely looked disappointed and full of regret (and not at all “relieved”) that he had written the name Benedict rather than Benedick.

I don’t see any interviews posted online yet with Ben Chan.

Hopefully, if he does have “Long Covid,” it might get better before the TOC.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Ben’s run was interrupted by a bout of Covid, which, together with his massaging his eyes during the very quick DD “breaks” might indicate he suffers to some degree from “Long Covid” syndrome.😔 

I'm pretty sure he was doing the eye-rubbing thing before his break, too. I did wonder if he had something wrong or if it was eye-strain or something. (Maybe he just needs he glasses prescription updated.) 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

So glad Ed won today - between Lynn and Joyce I was surprised they cleared the board in the J round and not surprised that they didn't clear it in DJ. I usually like to root for female contestants, especially older ones but not today.

Ready to forget about today's game. Had a few good categories, but not enough. Ran "That's a Wrap, Everybody!" and got 4 right in "Africa" in the J round and 4 right in "Train-ing Day" in DJ. Only 3 TSs - firm, fission and David Beckham. And I, like the contestants, did not get FJ

Is it just me or have there been a lot of anagram/scrambled categories lately? I don't usually do well in them since unless the clue helps me get it right away they're not on the screen long enough for me to unscramble them. Maybe it's just because with the Masters tournament we've had more games the last few weeks that I think they're popping up all the time.

• Like 10
Just now, chicagofan said:

Is it just me or have there been a lot of anagram/scrambled categories lately? I don't usually do well in them since unless the clue helps me get it right away they're not on the screen long enough for me to unscramble them. Maybe it's just because with the Masters tournament we've had more games the last few weeks that I think they're popping up all the time.

Not just you; I commented on this recently, too. I suck at anagrams and the time limit of the game certainly doesn't help. I usually only get them if the clue gives me enough info to figure it out without needing to completely unscramble the letters.

• Like 10

I guessed Bach.

I got the missed clues of Gold Coast, Vermont (embarrassingly, I started to say New York0, David Beckham, Fort Worth, William Faulkner, and spamnesia.

I got the entire category of Africa right, believe it or not.

• Like 3

May 24:

63% / 43% / 53%

Ugh, terrible game. Watched on YT early, too, because I was expecting a phone call from my cousin but I didn't know what time, except I said not between 8 and 9 (not missing the Masters final!) so I didn't know if she'll call earlier or later. She called at 5 so I went for a walk instead.

In J! I ran Africa and That's a Wrap, missed two in Con Must Go, and three in the rest. In DJ I ran These Bros Are Lit, missed two in Science and three in "D.B.", got one each Train-ing Day and Overlaps (but they only got to three of those), and totally failed To the Fort!

Did not get FJ, either. I did get the TS of firm, Gold Coast (DD), fission, Faulkner, and spamnesia.

This game felt sooooo slow, but I was rooting for the guy who won (whose name I have already forgotten), so there's that. I enjoyed his impression of the guard who freed his shoelaces.

• Like 5

Well, that's three FJ misses in a row for me!  I knew the composer, but would never have come up with the conductor.

Only three TS, too -- Gold Coast, fission, and magnitude.

Here's hoping for some speedier clue-pickers tomorrow. 

(I may have been unclear about my vacation -- I'm leaving Monday.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I knew FJ only because I dredged up a memory of learning in middle school music class that Liszt’s daughter Cosima married Wagner. That seemed unlike many FJ clues where it’s possible to deduce the answer even if you don’t know a specific fact. I wasn’t surprised it was a TS.

I am glad I wasn’t the only one who found both Lynn and Joyce slow pickers.

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I am glad I wasn’t the only one who found both Lynn and Joyce slow pickers.

Oh my gosh, this game was such a bore because of those two. From my couch, I was channeling Chandler Bing to Joey by yelling, "Get there faster!" Also, I'm not normally bothered by this, but Joyce had a vocal pattern that was driving me crazy.

And then there was Mayim, once again giggling at Daily Doubles being found. I don't get why she thinks it's funny when a contestant finds a DD. It happens in every game! Also, her framing of the mid-Jeopardy! round interview with Joyce about her television debut as a Pampers baby was cringe-worthy. I did enjoy Ed's untied shoelaces story, but that was because he told it well, no thanks to Mayim.

• Like 12
45 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Spamnesia is right in my wheelhouse of forgetfulness and email overload. So I got that one. I'm usually too slow for those kinds of clues.

I was very excited that I got spamnesia! I wasn't quick enough for those, either (though "tabooties" amused me greatly for some reason; it's kinda fun to say).

• Like 3

This was the first episode this week I was home to watch, so the returning champ was new to me, but I wound up rooting for her (and, on a shallow note, I like her glasses).

I wanted them to finish the overlap category -- I was enjoying (and running) it!  Tabooties really tickled me for some reason (the audience got a laugh, too, so whatever it is, it's not just me).

The consequential TS surprised me, with two of them almost getting there.  (Firm, in the same category, surprised me a little at first, but I suspect at least one was trying to come up with a building, not an organization, where lawyers work [probably thinking courthouse and realizing that wasn't it, and then running out of time to concentrate on the other part of the clue].)  No one getting David Beckham was unexpected, too, so they must not have known Galaxy = soccer

I ran Africa, con, wrap, and anagrams (they have really got to start putting the anagram up via chyron at the bottom of the screen so we can keep looking at it for as long as the contestants do) in the first round, but missed three in million and two in state.

But in DJ, I only ran overlaps, and since they only uncovered three of those clues, who knows if that would have held.  I got all but one in science and D.B., but missed three in lit bros and two each in forts and trains.

As I feared upon seeing the category, I did not get FJ.  (I did at least know the composer, which is more than can be said for many classical music clues.)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew FJ only because I dredged up a memory of learning in middle school music class that Liszt’s daughter Cosima married Wagner. That seemed unlike many FJ clues where it’s possible to deduce the answer even if you don’t know a specific fact. I wasn’t surprised it was a TS.

FJ must have been some factoid I'd once upon a time heard because it immediately popped into my brain and then wouldn't go away.  Yay me.

I too wasn't surprised it was a TS, but the answer of Hayden made me laugh since I knew he predated the composer.  (I checked and Hayden died 4 years before the composer was born.)

• Like 2

Just a bit much with the cutesy word categories tonight. Three of them in two rounds.  Anagrams some kind of before after and the remove 'con' one. They're not my favorite anyway but going a bit overboard. 

And seems like lots of anagrams lately. 

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

FJ must have been some factoid I'd once upon a time heard because it immediately popped into my brain and then wouldn't go away.  Yay me.

Ditto.  I vaguely remember Liszt as being an in-law to another famous composer so that was enough for a guess.

My only ts was spamnesia. 

I agree, too many anagram categories lately; also overlaps and rhyme time.

Let's hope the next game moves along a little faster.

• Like 4
On 5/23/2023 at 4:34 PM, Katy M said:

I said troilus and Cressida for lack of a better answer.

Me too. I know the Shakespeare tragedies better than the comedies (which blur in my mind)

On 5/23/2023 at 7:22 PM, Gemma Violet said:

I get the impression that Ben was exhausted and wasn't unhappy to leave.  (Or maybe 'exhausted' is just his default demeanor.  I forget if he was a bit peppier during his first few appearances.)

I thought he was low energy on his first (3?) games, and much more energetic when he returned. But I think we all respond to energy and/or lack thereof differently depending on how energetic we are personally perhaps.

On 5/24/2023 at 4:10 AM, Kimmmmmm said:

Yeah...hope she's gone soon

I had to root for her, we may have been classmates once.

On 5/24/2023 at 7:13 AM, NoReally said:

That's what I thought. I've since given up and just roll, or not, with the flow.

On 5/24/2023 at 7:46 AM, Gemma Violet said:

We tend to have long running themes and in jokes. It took me years, I think, to understand the Kit Carson joke. (you'll understand it eventually). Welcome to the forum.

19 hours ago, Bliss said:

I am usually a huge supporter of women - in general. However, after witnessing just how superior Ken is as "host" (I thought he did an exceptional job during the Masters' tournament) ... snip...I vote 100% to make Ken the (only) host of J! This being said by someone who wasn't super keen on him being host at all... I retract all my hesitations IN FULL. Sorry, Ken, for my crankiness (my Alex T fan status is finally starting to rest in peace).

We've always said in our house that Mayim plays the host, while Ken IS the host. We've only watched a little of the Masters' tournament, but it is so much fun seeing their relaxed, friendly, competition and gags, Ken included - even if I get very few of the answers.

17 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Another long running discussion...don't worry about it.

It was a bad game for me. I hated the spamnesia category - anagrams is bad enough. And is it just me, but when the category says "remove the con" isn't it implied that what remains is the answer/word instead of having to add some additional letters? Don't mind me, I'm just cranky. I don't think fast enough for those categories.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, it was a terrible game.

• Like 10
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was referring to quahog (which he himself said he wasn't sure he pronounced right).

Correct pronunciation is ko-hog and he seemed to settle on kwa-hog, which does match the spelling (I do the same thing; not a word I come across very often so I tend to forget how it's pronounced...though maybe now I won't...).

Oops, sorry, I misunderstood.

Ben pronounced quahog about 12 different ways.  Who knows, maybe one of them was right? 😕

I only know how to pronounce it because of a Family Guy episode.

Last night's FJ took some time for me.  I initially said Von Bulow but remembered that was Wagner's wife's ex-husband, so changed to Liszt in time to have written it down.  (To be completely honest, I said Claus Von Bulow then realized that was Sunny Von Bulow's husband.  Oops.)

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I enjoyed his impression of the guard who freed his shoelaces.

So did I.

It was a hit of miss game for me.  Much as one might expect from a game containing yet another anagram category (oy).  I did get 5 stumpers: Gold Coast, firm, William Faulkner, fission and David Beckham.  I should've gotten Belgium, it did cross my mind and yet I stupidly said France instead.  And I knew Seth McFarlane but couldn't get his last name pried out of my brain.

15 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew FJ only because I dredged up a memory of learning in middle school music class that Liszt’s daughter Cosima married Wagner.

She was married to Wagner's friend Hans Von Bulow first.  The friend who helped support Wagner before his operas became popular and with whom he lived during those lean years.  Cosima and Wagner had an affair and apparently, when Von Bulow found out, he generously stepped aside so they could be together.  😒

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

No one getting David Beckham was unexpected, too, so they must not have known Galaxy = soccer

My first thought on that clue was "Who on the Lakers has those initials?" despite being a soccer fan!  Then I realized I'd read the clue wrong and knew Beckham instantly.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

We tend to have long running themes and in jokes. It took me years, I think, to understand the Kit Carson joke. (you'll understand it eventually). Welcome to the forum.

I thought of you guys the other morning - the local radio Stump the DJ quiz included a question about the capital of Nevada.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

We've always said in our house that Mayim plays the host, while Ken IS the host.

Exactly.  She's acting a part.  She's not terrible, far from the worst of those who hosted during the immediate period after Alex's death, but you can see the effort.

• Like 9

I'm pretty sure I learned to pronounce quahog from Rosie Perez in "White Men Can't Jump."  In her Jeopardy game, there was a whole category called "Foods that start with Q", and quahog was one of them.  She pronounced it kwa-hog.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm sick of the anagrams. I've been here since TV Without Pity merged with Primetimer and I have no idea what the Kit Carson "joke" is. So, what the heck is it?

Credit to @proserpina65 (and to Primetimer's search function!) for this answer

Edit: It's not linking properly. Here's the link:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/121652-jeopardy-season-38-2021-2022/?do=findComment&comment=7551970

Edited by ProudMary
  • Thanks 2
23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Has anyone ever just spelled the response quickly, if they were unsure of the pronunciation? And would it count? 

I knew exactly how to spell it, but wasn't sure how to pronounce it. I thought "kway hog." That's what I would have said. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Has anyone ever just spelled the response quickly, if they were unsure of the pronunciation? And would it count? 

I have a vague memory of seeing that happen (and be counted correct), but I might be imagining it because it sounds like something I would do if I was afraid I was going to embarrass myself with mispronunciation (e.g. a word I'd only ever seen written, never heard said).

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

And is it just me, but when the category says "remove the con" isn't it implied that what remains is the answer/word instead of having to add some additional letters?

That is how it worked to get the correct responses; no additional letters added:

conduct - con = duct
concord - con = cord
confirm - con = firm
conquest - con = quest
consequential - con = sequential

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

No anagrams today!

Pretty good J round but it should have been better. Feel I should have gotten about a half dozen more correct responses that I couldn't pull out of the recesses of my brain like Studio 54 and Anthony Andrews. Did run 2 categories - "Coastal Waters" and "Our Returning Champion" and got 4 in "Up in the Airline". Would have run it except I said Qantas first instead of Qatar.

DJ was another story. While I did get 4 in "Shakespeare and His World" and "Euro Coins" I did horribly in the other 4 categories.

TSs/missed DDs in the J round were swallow-tailed. 1040 and John Glenn (DD). Should have gotten Agent 86 but somehow said Agent 88 instead. Oops! Only had 1 in DJ - Bard of Avon.

2nd correct FJ this week. I somehow pulled out Three Gorges Dam from somewhere. Didn't have a clue at first, but then in a closer look at the clue saw engineer which made me think of dam, and China dam led to the correct response. Whew! Sometimes my brain takes some interesting turns on the way to the right answer.

• Like 3