Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
15 hours ago, Trey said:

Did get FJ.  Jutes, Angles, Saxons; Jutes, Angles, Saxons.  Not all that many things remain with me from history classes but that trio did.

Apparently I jettisoned Jutes years ago...

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I knew Jim and quiet desperation. Not sure what it says about me, but I also knew two-toed sloth. 

I enjoyed the contestant stories. I think a 4 year old wanting to grow up t be a horse is delightful and her teacher is a stick in the mud.

In college we had a friend who made us free stationary, and the only quote I could come up with was the quiet desperation one. I must have seemed a depressing correspondent!

I got a call from my 3rd grader's teacher on 9/11 concerned that she was the only one who cried and was fearful that day (they watched the news in school, which I wasn't expecting). I told her that yeah, my kid got what was happening and the others didn't. Strangest parent call I ever got (in fact, it was the only parent call I ever got)

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I should've run RESEARCH, but nope. Too slow on the draw. 
Can we come up with an acronym for answers we know but were too tired to answer in time?

TTTA?

Didn't get FJ, but my Sporcles has been paying off and I celebrated when I got the Baku answer (which I'd just mastered in the Asian Capitals quiz).

So that made it a good game for me!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd like Diandra a lot better if she'd stop looking directly at the camera.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more negative commentary on this. Diandra's staring at me the whole game was really distracting. In all the years I've been watching, I don't remember ever seeing a contestant do that before. I hope she knocks it off on Monday. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more negative commentary on this. Diandra's staring at me the whole game was really distracting. In all the years I've been watching, I don't remember ever seeing a contestant do that before. I hope she knocks it off on Monday. 

I hope she GETS knocked off (of the show) on Monday. 

17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

, all I came up with (in a DD) was 2 toed sloth--& they even showed a picture! 

You'd think, after the contestant answered "toe", that it would rate a BMS, but no.

• Like 6
  • Fire 1

Diandra's constant looking at the camera was very distracting, but I wasn't going to comment on it unless others did.  I thought maybe she could see herself on a monitor in that direction, and was having her 15 minutes of fame admiring herself.  I hope the production crew tells her to focus elsewhere.  I've watched Jeopardy for years and years, and have never seen a contestant do that.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, learned something new today.  Apparently one of yesterday's categories included a term that's considered by some to be extremely offensive. I don't want to get into the details here but it's in explained in the first paragraph of "Andy's pregame thoughts" in the recap linked below.

I'm not sure if I'm glad I learned that or sorry I did!

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2023/05/final-jeopardy-5-26-2023.html

I have never heard of that.

• Like 6
(edited)

Jesse (username "jesuschin") shared an article on reddit (link to thread; it won't copy the link to the actual post for some reason, but his comment starts with "Obligatory dog tax") about Sadie and Benzy:

https://www.thedodo.com/close-to-home/dog-mom-hides-scared-baby-in-south-texas-shelter

Now Butter and Biscuit:

image.png.5e79bce23e614c7fd19eac09d4663752.png

42 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Diandra's constant looking at the camera was very distracting, 

Someone on the reddit recap asked why she was delivering her responses straight to the camera and Jesse replied "I hired someone dressed as Ghostface to stand behind her camera and point at her with a machete" 😄

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, Trey said:

I have never heard of that.

Me, either! I know lots of people on the spectrum, so I'm willing to give the J! authors a pass on not knowing, either. 

Of course, I don't hang out with people who say offensive things, so that might be why I didn't know. But still... learn something new every day!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Jesse (username "jesuschin") shared an article on reddit (link to thread; it won't copy the link to the actual post for some reason, but his comment starts with "Obligatory dog tax") about Sadie and Benzy:

https://www.thedodo.com/close-to-home/dog-mom-hides-scared-baby-in-south-texas-shelter

Now Butter and Biscuit:

That article in the Dodo is really sweet. The transformation of the dogs is very visible.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Me, either! I know lots of people on the spectrum, so I'm willing to give the J! authors a pass on not knowing, either. 

Of course, I don't hang out with people who say offensive things, so that might be why I didn't know. But still... learn something new every day!

I’ve never heard of that, either. I’m not saying it’s not a thing, but I searched and could find zero backlash about it— not even on Reddit, where people live for backlash. 

A google search of “ree” brings up a definition (“a state of excitement “), news about an Israeli electric car maker with that name, and lots and lots of stuff about Ree Drummond, Pioneer Woman. Nothing about it being an offensive term. So I don’t fault the Jeopardy writers, either.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, learned something new today.  Apparently one of yesterday's categories included a term that's considered by some to be extremely offensive. I don't want to get into the details here but it's in explained in the first paragraph of "Andy's pregame thoughts" in the recap linked below.

I've never heard of that, either!  I know people whose regular pronunciation of "research" sounds like "ree-search", and on occasion when I have an experiment that fails, I will say, "That's why they call it 'REE- search' instead of just 'search'."

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

on occasion when I have an experiment that fails, I will say, "That's why they call it 'REE- search' instead of just 'search'."

I have a button that says "A couple of months in the lab can save hours in the library."

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I've never heard of it, either. Does anyone else think it's wearying for so many people to get up in arms about stuff the rest of us never even heard of? I appreciate that some people may think "ree" is offensive, but, golly, take it in context and roll with it.

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
21 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

🙄 Oh please.

I am so sick of internet people trying so hard to be offended at everything and find insults everywhere they can.

• Like 5
  • Applause 6
2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

🙄 Oh please.

I am so sick of internet people trying so hard to be offended at everything and find insults everywhere they can.

I guess I have mixed feelings about that.  Based on the source I learned about it from, I don't think it's someone who's just trying hard to be offended.  On the other hand, based on comments here and elsewhere, it's something that's only known to a relatively small number of people, and I'm not surprised that folks at J! didn't see anything wrong with it.

On the third hand, you don't know what you don't know.  Not long ago, I was talking to my husband and he wasn't familiar with what "the R-word" referred to.  Or maybe he used it in writing referring to something else, and didn't realize what a loaded term it was.  So anyway...

In this case, I guess I'm glad I know...?   I can't imagine how I would inadvertently use the term and offend someone, but at least now I'll recognize it if I come across an online bully.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Not long ago, I was talking to my husband and he wasn't familiar with what "the R-word" referred to.

To me "the R-word" refers to a label used in a derogatory way to refer to those whose IQ measurements are not high enough for them to be deemed part of so-called "normal" society. 
Sometimes it has also been used to dismiss the the ideas or actions of kids who might "follow the beat of a different drummer" and sometimes even have higher IQs, in these cases probably used by kids who felt defensive in the presence of genius. 
So, is this new-to-us term just a shortened form of the more familiar-to-me "R word" used in the mid 20th century?
It certainly sounds like the first syllable of the old "R word."

Although this conversation is specifically about a Jeopardy! clue, should we take any further discussion to the Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex." thread?

• Like 1
(edited)
59 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Not long ago, I was talking to my husband and he wasn't familiar with what "the R-word" referred to.  Or maybe he used it in writing referring to something else, and didn't realize what a loaded term it was. 

15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

To me "the R-word" refers to a label used in a derogatory way to refer to those whose IQ measurements are not high enough for them to be deemed part of so-called "normal" society. 
Sometimes it has also been used to dismiss the the ideas or actions of kids who might "follow the beat of a different drummer" and sometimes even have higher IQs, in these cases probably used by kids who felt defensive in the presence of genius. 
So, is this new-to-us term just a shortened form of the more familiar-to-me "R word" used in the mid 20th century?
It certainly sounds like the first syllable of the old "R word."

Although this conversation is specifically about a Jeopardy! clue, should we take any further discussion to the Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex." thread?

Small talk is probably the best idea, but just so I don't leave things unclear here - what I was trying to say was not that he didn't know the R-word, but that he wasn't familiar with the literal phrase "the R-word" and that if you use that phrase, people will tend to make assumptions about what you mean.

But again, my point is we all have gaps and you don't know what you don't know.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

🙄 Oh please.

Does seem like a stretch. Plus it see.s there are variations to how it's used snd what it means. 

I've never heard it being used in any fashion myself. 

• Like 2

I'm all for learning things and doing better. When we don't know something, and then we find out, we can apologize and do things differently. I think there is a difference between malicious, deliberate insult and oblivious, accidental misuse of a term -- but both should be acknowledged and corrected.

So-called "microaggressions" are only small when they're rare, and you aren't the one being buried in the avalanche. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, possibilities said:

So-called "microaggressions" are only small when they're rare, and you aren't the one being buried in the avalanche.

Right; microaggressions matter because of their cumulative effect.  (And effect is more important than intent.)

I think it's great someone called attention to the issue with that category title.  Once we know something, we can - and should - adapt; there are a huge variety of words out there, so it's really easy to stop using certain ones. 

This one seems not at all widely known (I certainly wasn't aware, and I'm generally fairly up on these things [unlike so many others]!), so I think the tone of the linked piece was largely appropriate:

I would like to officially raise my objection to the sixth category in today’s Double Jeopardy! round: “REE” SEARCH. That letter combination is generally used in an ableist meme that mocks the reactions of many autistic people, and it is completely inappropriate in a Jeopardy! setting, as it will very likely be triggering for many viewers. This is definitely a case where fact-checkers need to be more aware of potentially sensitive subjects, and this category name should never have been approved.

The author didn't label the writers ableist jerks, call for a boycott of the show, or anything beyond raise and explain an objection.  Fact-checkers do need to research unintentional implications of a clue or category's wording; that should be as much a part of the job as making sure any names and dates are correct. 

I do think classifying it as something "very likely be triggering for many viewers" is an overstatement, but it's good to note.  I say that because, looking into this a bit, from my cursory research, the offensive term in memes is actually of the "reeeee", "reeeeee", or "reeeeeee" variety.  So a J! category of "REE"SEARCH, explained as responses ending with "-ree" (and as a follow-up to a first round category of RESEARCH), is not necessarily inappropriate, but indeed something to bring to their attention (I hope the author contacted the show - as I did when they put "gypsy" in a clue, propagated a typical "First Thanksgiving" myth in another, got it wrong on just about every level in a clue about Armenia, etc. - in addition to objecting on their own website) for future consideration.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

The only place that I found any mention of "Ree" used in this manner was in Urban Dictionary, which did not make any reference to autism specifically.  However, the meme usage does seem to be to use "REEEEE" (with a varying number of E's) to represent someone "whining."  The sort of preferences and aversions that people with autism have are often interpreted as whining or complaining by neurotypical people, so I suspect that's what's going on.

Neither my wife nor my stepson, who are both on the autism spectrum, were familiar with this when I asked them about it, but that doesn't mean it's not a thing.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
On 5/28/2023 at 2:23 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I've never heard of it, either. Does anyone else think it's wearying for so many people to get up in arms about stuff the rest of us never even heard of? I appreciate that some people may think "ree" is offensive, but, golly, take it in context and roll with it.

My response after reading the linked article was “spare me.”

• Applause 2

Don't know if it was the categories or what, but today was not a good Jeopardy day. Only had one decent category - got 4 right in "Trees Company". Got 2 TSs/missed DDs in the J round - conjfers and John Steinbeck (DD). and 2 more in DJ - Gulf Stream and free will (not too impressive since there were 11 TSs in DJ).

At least FJ was an instaget.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

Don't know if it was the categories or what, but today was not a good Jeopardy day. Only had one decent category - got 4 right in "Trees Company". Got 2 TSs/missed DDs in the J round - conjfers and John Steinbeck (DD). and 2 more in DJ - Gulf Stream and free will (not too impressive since there were 11 TSs in DJ).

At least FJ was an instaget.

I got the exact same as you did: conifer, Steinbeck, Gulf stream, and free will. Also an instaget FJ.

I don't keep track of how I did in each category.

I guess someone told Diandre to quit looking at the camera.

• Like 7

May 29:

60% / 60% / 61%

Consistent, if not great, game. In J! I missed one in Poetic Subjects and Cannery, two in Rockefellers, Trees Company, and Yes Oui, and four in Who Was That Masked Man (the only Spiderman movie I've seen is the Tobey Maguire one). In DJ I missed one in History, two in Gulf of Mexico, Chemistry, Pop Instrumentals, and Monthly People, and three in "Free" Words.

FJ was an instaget because what else would it be?

TS were conifers, Town (a guess, based on the rhyme, and the picture of trees in front of a building), Steinbeck (DD), free will, calcium, Gulf Stream (I suspect they were thrown off by the fact that the word "gulf" was in both the category name and the clue; I was too and didn't think I was right but it was the only thing I could think of).

Aw, I was rooting for Travis.

• Like 2

I really try not to criticize too much but it felt like Mayim's pauses were starting to trip up that one guy, Travis, several times he waited for confirmation and then started to add something to his answer. He would've been ruled wrong if he had added something they didn't want in the answer, right?

I just looked at the Archive to get Travis' name and even there they write something like Mayim is slow to rule.

• Like 18
  • Applause 1

Archive game for me, as I sit in the British Airways lounge in Dulles Airport, waiting for my flight to Heathrow.  It was interesting that the archive person commented on Mayim’s pauses.

Instaget FJ, and it seemed awfully easy for an FJ, especially compared to some others we’ve had recently.

I also got the TS of Steinbeck, conifers, Gulf Stream, Cuba, Pensacola, and calcium.

No idea when I’ll post again. The time difference and possible lack of internet will make it challenging!

• Like 5
  • Hugs 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
32 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I really try not to criticize too much but it felt like Mayim's pauses were starting to trip up that one guy, Travis, several times he waited for confirmation and then started to add something to his answer. He would've been ruled wrong if he had added something they didn't want in the answer, right?

I just looked at the Archive to get Travis' name and even there they write something like Mayim is slow to rule.

Heh. "[Mayim is a tad slow to rule]"

Yeah, it was really noticeable at least twice. Luckily on that one he only added Peninsula (to Yucatan), which was already in the clue and therefore just redundant.

I wonder, if he did add something that made him wrong, would they consider reversing the ruling if he pointed out that he wouldn't have added it if she wasn't so slow and making him think they were looking for more... I mean, she really has no excuse at this point.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 19
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

I was a little surprised at the questions the players missed today.  Gulf Stream?  Really?  Of course, I live in Louisiana, and we do tend to watch and be familiar with the Gulf since it sends us hurricanes on a regular basis.  

I agree that Mayim's pauses were more frequent today.  I really do think she's listening to the behind the scenes staff to tell her yes or no on answers, and she's not as quick as Ken is to respond.

Thank goodness someone told Diandre to stop looking at the camera.  At least I think they did because she didn't do it today.  I wanted Travis to win.    

• Like 7

Since Mayim has the answers in front of her, I don't understand why she'd be waiting for confirmation from staff. She seems to be doing the hesitations on DDs for dramatic effect. Maybe she's not keeping up when folks jump around the board?

• Like 5
(edited)
On 5/26/2023 at 7:03 PM, chicagofan said:

ell, for the 2nd day In a row I pulled the correct FJ response out of I don't know where. I was thinking "it's not the Angles or Saxons" when out of nowhere Jutes popped into my head. Once it did I thought it could be right since Jutland is part of Denmark.

I said Jutes primarily because I knew Jutland is part of Denmark.

Speaking of things for which I have little patience, stupid FOX 45 ran Nascar yesterday instead of Jeopardy and didn't run it late at night either, so I missed it completely.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 3
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Speaking of things for which I have little patience, stupid FOX 45 ran Nascar yesterday instead of Jeopardy and didn't run it late at night either, so I missed it completely.

We get J! on 2 channels - Baltimore Fox45 at 7 pm, DC ABC at 7:30 pm. Last night we watched on ABC.

2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

We get J! on 2 channels - Baltimore Fox45 at 7 pm, DC ABC at 7:30 pm. Last night we watched on ABC.

I have satellite tv and only get Baltimore channels because the company decided that was my local market.  One of the few downsides to satellite for me.

(edited)
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Since Mayim has the answers in front of her, I don't understand why she'd be waiting for confirmation from staff. She seems to be doing the hesitations on DDs for dramatic effect. Maybe she's not keeping up when folks jump around the board?

In the specific instances from yesterday's game I wonder if something like this might have happened. Mayim's response sheet says "Yucatan peninsula" - even though peninsula isn't necessary since it's in the clue. She's not sure if she should accept just "Yucatan" so is waiting for the voice in her ear to confirm that it's acceptable. The judges don't respond since "Yucatan" is correct. When Mayim doesn't rule the answer correct - the long pause - either the judges give her a ruling or she realizes that just "Yucatan" is acceptable and finally gives the go ahead. Meanwhile Travis doesn't know if his response is wrong, incomplete or if Mayim is in a trance so he starts adding to his response.

Similarly the other clue with the slow response might have had either "the U.S. Supreme Court" or "the Supreme Court of the United States". So when Travis just says "the Supreme Court" a similar thing happens, just the pause was shorter.

As for some of the other pauses - I got nothin'.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 7
  • Useful 4

I had a good game when I wasn’t getting annoyed by Mayim. I got conifers, the missed DD of John Steinbeck, calcium, Red Guard, Frankenstein, Gulf Stream, and FJ was an instaget. 

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Same here, with the addition of Gulf Stream. Otherwise, it wasn't a good game for me.

I did horribly in DJ.  I didn't do great in the first round, but it was acceptable and I was in the black.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had a good game when I wasn’t getting annoyed by Mayim. I got conifers, the missed DD of John Steinbeck, calcium, Red Guard, Frankenstein, Gulf Stream, and FJ was an instaget. 

Yup...she was at the top of her annoying game last night. Her pauses were causing poor Travis to add info' that wasn't necessary (& as we all know, that can be dangerous!) It wasn't the greatest for me, just getting a few TS's: West VA (for Jay Rockefeller), calcium, and Red Guard, and DD Steinbeck. When does Ken take over for Mayim (after she wouldn't cross the picket line)?

• Like 5
16 hours ago, dgpolo said:

That irritated the h*ll out of me -- so egregious, Mayim.  Come ON, get it together and stop it with these blasted pauses.  

• Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1

Season 39 ends July 28. Mayim "exited the show in its final week of filming". Not sure but I think I've read that they tape 5 games per taping day and do that no more than 2 days in a week. So I'm guessing Ken's return will be sometime in mid July depending on whether Mayim had already done any taping in the "final" week.

• Sad 2
  • Useful 1

Archive game for me.  Thankfully, once again, not being able to see the photos wasn't an issue -- I either didn't need them or they wouldn't have helped anyway.

The free will TS surprised me.  As did conifers, calcium (I guess none of them live in hard water territory and use CLR), Gulf Stream* and, especially, Cuba a bit.

I found the Theresa May clue undeserving of being a DD in DJ.

I missed three in masked, which is better than it could have gone for a category about Spider-Man and Batman, as cultural osmosis was my only shot at not blowing it entirely, but kept me from killing it in the first round.  If not for that, I'd have only missed one (the town TS in trees stumped me, too).

I didn't run a damn thing in DJ, though.  But I wasn't terrible; I got all but one in Gulf of Mexico, free, and chemistry, and missed two each in the rest (it would have been three in monthly people if not for my lucky guess of June for the first clue). 

FJ was an instaget.

19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Gulf Stream (I suspect they were thrown off by the fact that the word "gulf" was in both the category name and the clue; I was too and didn't think I was right but it was the only thing I could think of).

I suspected that, too, but it's still a bit odd to me because that was the third clue revealed in that category, and the two others (one of which was the DD selected immediately before it) had "Gulf" in the clue, too (in total, all but one in that category did).

• Like 2
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I get it on ABC out of NYC and Philadelphia, but unless there's some region-specific event happening, both will generally be showing the same thing, so if it's preempted, it's on both stations (occasionally something big will be happening in the NY area but I can still watch the other). I normally watch the NYC station because Philly is not in HD. If I can't watch I just go to youtube.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I suspected that, too, but it's still a bit odd to me because that was the third clue revealed in that category, and the two others (one of which was the DD selected immediately before it) had "Gulf" in the clue, too (in total, all but one in that category did).

I didn't even realize that. I only remembered it because it was a TS that I got.

Slightly better game - just slightly - than yesterday. However no TSs - did get 'triangulate' after the incorrect response of 'triangulation' and thought I should have gotten 'the Eagles'. Also should have gotten 'multiple choice' (brain fart) and 'Mario Cuomo' (somehow my brain was thinking mayor, not goverrnor). Oh well.

No FJ - I said 'Round Table', but without the Algonqin part.

• Like 2