Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

May 25:

53% / 77% / 64%

Tuned in late and missed a whole category; had to catch up during the commercial. Did terribly in the first round; I'm tired and that's my excuse. Missed one in Flag Terminology and Airlines, two in Coastal Waters and Numerical Words & Phrases, and four in Returning Champion and Doctor from Chicago. 

Did better in the second round - ran Politicians, missed one in Galactic Vacations, Shakespeare, and Euro Coins, and two in Music (should have gotten violinist; I know who Heifetz is but I briefly found myself staring into space instead of processing the clue...like I said, I'm tired) and Crossword Clues V.

Did not get FJ and my only TS were 86 and Bard of Avon.

Quibble: As far as I can tell, the company is called Alaska Airlines, not Alaska Air...

Bonus: Today's Consider This podcast episode is about a Jeopardy mystery!

• Like 4
(edited)

I'll be watching Top Chef tonight, so I just checked the archive for this game's clues.  Thankfully, not being able to see the photos within clues wasn't an issue; they either wouldn't have helped or I didn't need them.

I can't believe 1040 was a TS. 

I only ran waters and airlines in the first round, but I got all but one each in numerical phrases (Eightfold), Chicago doctors (The Lake House) and champions (Ramses).  I missed two in flag terminology -- which is better than I expected based on the category.

In DJ, I only ran politicians.  I got all but one each in vacations (Mons Olympus) and music (October), but missed three in Shakespeare (I did get the Bard of Avon TS, though) and two each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1

Another magnet collector here. I’m having a big piece of sheet metal (haven’t decided the shape yet) put into the hallway to my garage to display them on. I think they should make a Jeopardy magnet. I’d buy one. 

I got the missed DD of John Glenn, 1040, 86, Bard of Avon and I was able to come up with FJ. 

• Like 6

I did notice that Bialik's pauses before ruling weren't so awful tonight.  She's getting better at that, but that breathless excitement over the finding of DDs, as well as the stupid giggling, is becoming even more annoying.

• Like 6

For FJ would “Yangtze Dam” have been accepted?

I did instaget John Glenn and 1040, and got the DD of groundlings. I had only previously heard of the improv Groundlings, but after watching Mattea and the other Jeopardy Masters figure out answers on the spot, and with the extra time of a DD, I got groundlings from the DD clue:

• If you were part of this "earthy" group taking in a play at the Globe Theatre, you paid the lowest amount to stand in the pit & watch
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
19 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

For FJ would “Yangtze Dam” have been accepted?

I did instaget John Glenn and 1040, and got the DD of groundlings. I had only previously heard of the improv Groundlings, but after watching Mattea and the other Jeopardy Masters figure out answers on the spot, and with the extra time of a DD, I got groundlings from the DD clue:

• If you were part of this "earthy" group taking in a play at the Globe Theatre, you paid the lowest amount to stand in the pit & watch

You probably had a better chance than my answer: 'that big damn in china!'

• Wink 2
  • LOL 7
49 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I think they should make a Jeopardy magnet. I’d buy one. 

They have two at the Jeopardy! store, and I'm sure there are all kinds of unauthorized options out there, too.  (Plus you can always print something on photo paper and make a magnet out of it.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 2

I enjoyed the magnet story and yesterday's shoelace story. 

I think "quahog" was accepted because the rule is that, for J and DJ, you get credit if you pronounce something in a way that is consistent with the spelling of it. 

For FJ, you get credit if you spell something consistent with the correct pronunciation.

I feel like Mayim has been doing this job long enough that she should have settled into it by now, and not still be learning it. I wanted to like her, but I'm fed up at this point.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
9 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

I jumped in with "Aswan High Da.......Oh Damn! 

Funny, I said "I know it isn't Aswan High Dam." But I couldn't come up with the correct answer - it was a headsmack moment when answer was revealed.

Otherwise, it was an okay game for me.  I got the ts's of swallowtail, Agent 86, and Bard of Avon (before any contestants gave hints with their close but incorrect guesses) and I got the missed DD of John Glenn.

• Like 4

Which one first came up with the "bring it" saying? For some reason I think it was James, but Sam turned it into something truly funny (as only he could). Gee...regular Jeopardy seems so unexciting. Guess it'll take a while to adjust.

• Like 6
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have a vague memory of seeing that happen (and be counted correct), but I might be imagining it because it sounds like something I would do if I was afraid I was going to embarrass myself with mispronunciation (e.g. a word I'd only ever seen written, never heard said).

That is how it worked to get the correct responses; no additional letters added:

conduct - con = duct
concord - con = cord
confirm - con = firm
conquest - con = quest
consequential - con = sequential

Well, don't I feel dumb. Not just because of the answers, but now I remember my husband explained the same thing to me and I forgot it between then and my post. Sigh...

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

They have a set of three!

image.png.eca05a399bfe1ae272aa3884397d2c1c.png

There's also a Masters magnet:

jpdhoimagmas_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=16831425

There's also a throw blanket with the same clue-board print.

And you can get Masters pint glasses with each of their names!

jpdgwtpintmst_d377607e-1067-4153-83f6-86

I must have the throw blanket! I always have a throw blanket on when watching Jeopardy!

It wasn't a great game for me, and I don't remember what I got or what I didn't (see above about forgetfulness). But no doubt I enjoyed it.

Since we only watch the Masters tournament on the weekend, I don't have too much trouble adjusting between the two. But the masters sure is fun, it's nice to see them all so relaxed and friendly.

Didn't get the dam. So no FJ either.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I must have the throw blanket! I always have a throw blanket on when watching Jeopardy!

Tempting but I have so many already! I would totally buy a "Bring It" magnet with the clue board background, though.

• Like 3

I had a really good game last night.  Of the twelve categories I ran seven (Coastal Waters, Flag Terminology, Our Returning Champion, A Doctor From Chicago, Illinois, Galactic Vacations, Euro Coins and Music Of The Month) and got all but one clue in three others (Numerical Word & Phrases, Shakespeare & His World and Crossword Clues "V").

I got seven stumpers: swallow-tailed, 1040, 86, John Glenn, groundlings, grand duke and violinist.  (I guess none of these contestants have done their own taxes?)  I should've gotten the Bard of Avon and run that category but Bard of Stratford got stuck in my head and wouldn't get out of the way despite being ruled incorrect.

FJ came pretty quickly after putting China and engineer together.  It had to mean dam, and I remember the controversy about the Three Gorges Dam and how many people were displaced when it was built.  Not to mention the impact on the environment.

I wanna like the new champ, but I'm totally judging his getting married at Disney.  I have little patience for adults who are into Disney enough to go there without children.  (N.B. Disney World and Disneyland are my idea of hell, exceeded only by a Disney cruise because at least at the theme parks I could leave when I wanted.)

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Quibble: As far as I can tell, the company is called Alaska Airlines, not Alaska Air...

That was my answer.  I thought it was right and googling has confirmed that.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

(I guess none of these contestants have done their own taxes?)

I have, but I got stuck on other forms; went W-2, then 1099, realizing both are forms you receive from other entities, then ran out of time while trying to come up with the right number.

2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I wanna like the new champ, but I'm totally judging his getting married at Disney.  I have little patience for adults who are into Disney enough to go there without children.  (N.B. Disney World and Disneyland are my idea of hell, exceeded only by a Disney cruise because at least at the theme parks I could leave when I wanted.)

My best friend's family are all Disney people. I can think of few things I'd want to do less than spend a vacation with them there. (I love them, but the kids are a lot, sometimes.) My dad insists I've been to Disney World, but I was two, and I always tell him it doesn't count if I can't remember it. But I'm okay with that. (I don't hate Disney, but the older I get, the less a huge, crowded theme park of any kind appeals to me. Also can't do roller coasters anymore.)

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My best friend's family are all Disney people. I can think of few things I'd want to do less than spend a vacation with them there. (I love them, but the kids are a lot, sometimes.) My dad insists I've been to Disney World, but I was two, and I always tell him it doesn't count if I can't remember it. But I'm okay with that. (I don't hate Disney, but the older I get, the less a huge, crowded theme park of any kind appeals to me. Also can't do roller coasters anymore.)

I once went out a few times with a guy who went to Disney World every year.  It wasn't the reason I stopped seeing him but it was one of the signs that we didn't click.  I do sort of hate Disney.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, then you'd have little patience with me. The first time I went to Disney World I was in my mid thirties. We were 4 adults and 2 kids but I liked it enough to go back later that year on my own. Have been back many times and been to Disneyland and on 5 Disney cruises. I don't particularly care for the new champ, but his story about his Disney wedding made me like him just a little.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 2

I'm no longer fond of theme parks in general, the crowds bother me and I can't ride the rides I enjoyed the most.

I'm not fond of Disney in general, though going with our kids was fun (except for the inevitable meltdowns and the "If you can't be happy here" lecture).

But I have no problem with people who enjoy it. If it makes you happy, and is harmless to others, go for it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, don't I feel dumb. Not just because of the answers, but now I remember my husband explained the same thing to me and I forgot it between then and my post. Sigh...

Hell, in the time it takes me to walk from one room to another, I may very well forget what I went in there to do, so don't worry about it.

6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I wanna like the new champ, but I'm totally judging his getting married at Disney.  I have little patience for adults who are into Disney enough to go there without children.

I don't understand it, and, quite frankly, find it weird.  But a friend's husband is one of those people, and while he is indeed weird in many ways, we get on quite well.  So, while I confess my automatic reaction is still an eye roll, I've learned to course correct.  (I don't know why this particular thing annoyed me so; lots of people are into things I have zero interest in or outright dislike without me giving it a second thought.)

• Like 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

(I guess none of these contestants have done their own taxes?)

Maybe all these contestants use paid tax preparers, but I'll place some blame on the tax prep sites that most self-filers use. These companies obfuscate the forms, in my experience. You only get to see the actual forms once you're totally done, and I bet a lot of people never look at them.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Well, for the 2nd day In a row I pulled the correct FJ response out of I don't know where. I was thinking "it's not the Angles or Saxons" when out of nowhere Jutes popped into my head. Once it did I thought it could be right since Jutland is part of Denmark. That gives me 3 correct FJs for the 2nd week in a row. Will stop patting myself on the back before I hurt myself.

Especially since the rest of my game was just o.k. Didn't run any categories and only got 4 right in "You Just Made That Stuff Up". And only 2 TSs - Georgia in the J round and Jim in DJ. Don't these contestants know that Oglethorpe=Georgia? I guess not.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

It was a nice evenly matched game but not really too exciting.

My only ts was Billy Budd.  I saw the movie years ago and it stuck with me.

Did get FJ.  Jutes, Angles, Saxons; Jutes, Angles, Saxons.  Not all that many things remain with me from history classes but that trio did.

• Like 4

I was going to say juts, but i didn't figure they could be famous having never heard of them so I said vandals.

I got the  missed clues of Chinese Chicken Salad, two toed sloth, Georgia, an angry God, Jim, Fancy Free and gallium.

I got the entire categories of Spanish professions, adorable, America and made up.

My cat was lying on my lap during the first part of the show, and she was very upset that her picture wasn't included in the adorable category.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
(edited)

May 26:

60% / 67% / 64%

Blah first round. Missed one in Spanish Professions and Food Stuff, two in That's Adorable and Research, and three in America in the 1700s and Baseball.

Slightly better second round…missed one in You Just Made That Stuff Up, That Book Character Does Things (I knew it was Heart of Darkness, but I must have blocked the character name from my memory...I hated that book), and "Ree"Search, two in Quotes and Technology, and three World Cities.

I got FJ! Almost an Instaget...Jutland came immediately and then I thought "were they Juts or Jutes?" Only two this week but both were asterisks!

TSes were two-toed sloth (DD), [Sinners in the Hands of] an Angry God, Jim (in Huck Finn), Billy Budd, Neuralink (DD), and gallium (the book The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean has a fun story about a gallium prank...make a spoon out of gallium, which looks much like aluminum or another metal you might make spoons from, but has a melting point of around 85 degrees; serve your guest a nice hot cup of tea...)

Was low-key rooting for the champ to begin with, but his dogs named Butter and Biscuit clinched it. "You need Butter to make Biscuit"...too cute (or, "That's Adorable"!). Sorry to see him go; he seemed like a nice guy. New champ is fine, too, though.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

Mayim was rocking the sexy librarian look tonight. For all of her annoying quirks, I appreciate that she really seems to be having a good time hosting. It's not just a job or stepping stone, she enjoys being there.

I'd like Diandra a lot better if she'd stop looking directly at the camera.

My only TS was Jim. 

• Like 5
Just now, Grizzly said:

Mayim was rocking the sexy librarian look tonight. For all of her annoying quirks, I appreciate that she really seems to be having a good time hosting. It's not just a job or stepping stone, she enjoys being there.

I did like the seafoam color of her top.

• Like 4

I didn't get FJ tonight.  So easy in hindsight, though!  Oh well.

I did get the TS of two-toed, Georgia, Jim, and quiet desperation.

Congrats to the new champ.  Jesse was making me tired with all the leaning.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

But then, all I came up with (in a DD) was 2 toed sloth--& they even showed a picture! 

Yeah, I kinda scratched my head at that one, I got it because of the picture! Also got, Jim and an Angry God (had to read that sermon in one of my HS Lit classes, my daughter says she doesn't remember having to read it so they must have phased it out)

And I remembered the Denmark peninsula was Jutland and so guessed Jutes, Yay!

Loved Diandra's jacket/blazer

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I knew Jim and quiet desperation. Not sure what it says about me, but I also knew two-toed sloth. 

I enjoyed the contestant stories. I think a 4 year old wanting to grow up t be a horse is delightful and her teacher is a stick in the mud.

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I enjoyed the contestant stories. I think a 4 year old wanting to grow up t be a horse is delightful and her teacher is a stick in the mud.

Right? Maybe the teacher was new...I'd think any experienced preschool teacher wouldn't be fazed by a four-year-old who says they want to be an animal when they grow up. They're four. Most four-year-olds are adorably weird. Love her parents' response, though.

2 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I laughed at the response from Jesse Chin, "Sarakiacomesin," that was a line from The Office, nobody picked up on that?

I've never watched The Office, I wasn't even sure what he was saying.

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I laughed at the response from Jesse Chin, "Sarakiacomesin," that was a line from The Office, nobody picked up on that?

I never watched The Office, so it made no sense to me.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, possibilities said:

38 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Right? Maybe the teacher was new...I'd think any experienced preschool teacher wouldn't be fazed by a four-year-old who says they want to be an animal when they grow up. They're four. Most four-year-olds are adorably weird. Love her parents' response, though.

That sounded to me like one of those family stories that get retold (and remolded) over the years. I don’t think I’m ready to place too much judgement on this apocryphal preschool teacher 🙂

• Like 4

Neuralink was all over my newsfeed today, and I hadn't heard of it prior, so that was some coincidental timing!

Or just the latest in your-phone-is-always-listening and it is now trying to help me out with Jeopardy answers.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 6

I was a little surprised by the quiet desperation TS, but it seems the writers better predicted its difficulty level than I would have, valuing it at $2000.

I ran professions, food, baseball curses, and research, and got all but one in adorable (with a little more time, I'd have figured out roebuck and run that one, too; oh, well) so I almost had a stellar first round, but I missed three in 1700s.

I typically see a drop-off in my performance in DJ, but damn -- I blew Technology almost entirely (the only one I got was Jetson) and missed three each in characters (the only TS I got in that category was Jim) and cities.  I ran quotes, but missed two each in the rest.

I finished it off by not knowing FJ.

• Like 1

I fell asleep and missed the entire show.  Reading your posts I have to say that I, too, wanted to be a horse when I was a little kid.  When I realized that couldn't happen, I wanted to marry a horse.  I'm still waiting. Every horse has a damn prince riding it.  Sheesh.

I looked up FJ on TheJeopardyFan and I didn't get it. I couldn't remember "Jutland" and even if I did, it probably would not have led to the Jutes.  I thought it was named Jutland because it juts out, the way peninsulas do.  <shrug>

• Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

What? No Cubs' "Curse of the Billy Goat" for the CURSES! BASEBALL! category?
We wuz robbed, I tell ya, robbed! 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I was a little surprised by the quiet desperation TS, but it seems the writers better predicted its difficulty level than I would have, valuing it at $2000.

Likewise with Jim from the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which seemed more like a $400 gimme than a $1200 TS.

Meanwhile, I will continue to lead my life of "quiet desperation" with zero FJs for the week.

And even though:

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

Neuralink was all over my newsfeed today, and I hadn't heard of it prior, so that was some coincidental timing!

Or just the latest in your-phone-is-always-listening and it is now trying to help me out with Jeopardy answers.

I couldn't come up with Neuralink in time.
But does this mean Elon's Neuralink Corporation's PR people's insider information includes Jeopardy! results in advance of airing, and they had Neuralink wait to release the news? Seems like too big of a lawsuit (and bad PR) risk, so probably just a coincidence. Right???

I should've run RESEARCH, but nope. Too slow on the draw. 
Can we come up with an acronym for answers we know but were too tired to answer in time?

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I fell asleep and missed the entire show.  Reading your posts I have to say that I, too, wanted to be a horse when I was a little kid.  When I realized that couldn't happen, I wanted to marry a horse.  I'm still waiting. Every horse has a damn prince riding it.  Sheesh.

I got divorced 30+ years ago, but I might be willing to marry this👆 post.🤣
I wanted to be Leonardo Da Vinci when I grew up,
509980.webp
and liked to draw horses:

image.thumb.png.6f072209894551b27bcad1dd82ed52ac.png

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

...I looked up FJ on TheJeopardyFan and I didn't get it. I couldn't remember "Jutland" and even if I did, it probably would not have led to the Jutes.  I thought it was named Jutland because it juts out, the way peninsulas do.  <shrug>

All I could think of was that lower Michigan and Denmark look like mittens, and "The Mittens" could not possibly have been an invading army. 🥊🥊

But, @Prevailing Wind, the Jutes may have been named for the land which may have been named for the way it juts out:

...there is some archaeological evidence to support a theory that they originated from the eponymous Jutland Peninsula... 
(wikipedia.org/wiki/Jutes)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I haven’t been here in a few days because I got behind in my viewing and didn’t want to spoil any FJ answers for myself. HA- not that it made a difference I’ll have to double check, but I’m pretty sure I ended the week with a giant bagel. Blueberry flavored, because I like blueberries.

J! Masters was partly to blame for my delayed viewing, but so was Wednesday’s game. After that slog, I had to take a day and regroup. Seriously, what was that? It’s like Production went out of their way to gather the 3 most low-energy people they could find, then got them stoned on the way to the studio. Pauses before selecting a clue + pauses before answering + Mayim’s pauses before ruling = 30 Helens screaming “Let’s GOOO!” at the screen. More than once.

Thursday wasn’t much better. Even Mayim’s giggles were starting to sound desperate. At least Friday’s game returned to something approaching normal energy.

12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't hate Disney but I don't understand adults wanting to go there a lot. 

I went there once in high school. I remember being underwhelmed by everything and never had a desire to go back. And considering my patience for standing in line grows inversely with age, I doubt I ever will.

14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Which one first came up with the "bring it" saying? For some reason I think it was James, but Sam turned it into something truly funny (as only he could). 

I can’t swear to it, but I’m pretty sure Sam originated it, then others picked up on it. Kind of like everyone appropriating James’s “all in” motion.

On 5/25/2023 at 9:31 PM, ams1001 said:

They have a set of three!

image.png.eca05a399bfe1ae272aa3884397d2c1c.png

I don’t want to tell the J! store how to run their business, but if they’re going to have a trio of magnets, shouldn’t they look something like this?

9ED61ECC-66D0-484F-B220-A37F134921C8.jpeg.2e8ff2935540dec735b290b750d02391.jpeg     
4EF962F9-526E-471B-8434-DF2C1472C70F.thumb.jpeg.e7f41741d995c75d9149f57f7718570a.jpeg   DAD3B006-B33A-41CA-B7D4-FDF45DCC453E.jpeg.687c7da49735c05c0e9628b6f087ecb8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I haven’t been here in a few days because I got behind in my viewing and didn’t want to spoil any FJ answers for myself. HA- not that it made a difference I’ll have to double check, but I’m pretty sure I ended the week with a giant bagel. Blueberry flavored, because I like blueberries.

J! Masters was partly to blame for my delayed viewing, but so was Wednesday’s game. After that slog, I had to take a day and regroup. Seriously, what was that? It’s like Production went out of their way to gather the 3 most low-energy people they could find, then got them stoned on the way to the studio. Pauses before selecting a clue + pauses before answering + Mayim’s pauses before ruling = 30 Helens screaming “Let’s GOOO!” at the screen. More than once.

Thursday wasn’t much better. Even Mayim’s giggles were starting to sound desperate. At least Friday’s game returned to something approaching normal energy.

I went there once in high school. I remember being underwhelmed by everything and never had a desire to go back. And considering my patience for standing in line grows inversely with age, I doubt I ever will.

I can’t swear to it, but I’m pretty sure Sam originated it, then others picked up on it. Kind of like everyone appropriating James’s “all in” motion.

I don’t want to tell the J! store how to run their business, but if they’re going to have a trio of magnets, shouldn’t they look something like this?

9ED61ECC-66D0-484F-B220-A37F134921C8.jpeg.2e8ff2935540dec735b290b750d02391.jpeg     
4EF962F9-526E-471B-8434-DF2C1472C70F.thumb.jpeg.e7f41741d995c75d9149f57f7718570a.jpeg   DAD3B006-B33A-41CA-B7D4-FDF45DCC453E.jpeg.687c7da49735c05c0e9628b6f087ecb8.jpeg

See what I bolded? You're my sister from another mother. LOL

p.s. love your magnet choices! Fun fact: Gordon Lightfoot was born in my town/city and the other day I met his "grandpuppy" - his daughter's pup. His name is Bobby McGee and he's the cutest little thing...

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1