Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Just like we all answer "Aaron Burr" as though we have a mouthful of peanut butter. LOL

I have never seen the Aaron Burr commercial which is okay because I really don’t know why he’s famous.,,

• Mind Blown 1
32 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I have never seen the Aaron Burr commercial which is okay because I really don’t know why he’s famous.,,

In the Hamilton musical, Aaron Burr introduces himself with the line "I'm the damn fool that shot him." Incidentally he was Thomas Jefferson's VP.

• Like 2
On 5/20/2023 at 5:15 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

Aw, I still can't believe he is gone. One of my all time favourite  singer songwriters. 😢

When he passed, I asked my speaker to play his music.  I was soon looking up lyrics and crying on the sofa in the middle of the day.  I knew the 3 or 4 songs of his that got airplay in their day, but dang!  There were some feelings coming around that afternoon.  Have any of y’all heard his song about the boat?

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

There's a longer version, but this is what typically aired:

Solid Gold.  It lives in my family.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 5/19/2023 at 8:52 PM, chicagofan said:

I ran Commandments and got 4 in booze (couldn't come up with Jose in time) - somehow there's something weird about doing well in both those categories in the same game.

A lot of folks I know would say “yep, sounds about right”

• LOL 4

I like Mayim, but as someone from Appalachia, her pronunciation of Appalachian Trail had my parents and I screaming at the tv lol.

I was so rooting for Erica - as others said above, she had such a fun personality!

• Like 3
(edited)

I did okay Friday night.  Got FJ although I did briefly consider I-95, probably because of the word "route" in the clue.  Went back to Appalachian Trial in plenty of time.

I ran 4 categories: Some Of The 10 Commandments (seriously, another bible category?), On A First Name Basis With Booze, Sweet 1616 and Gaits.  Got all but 1 clue in 5 others: Those Balls Have "I"s (forgot about Spalding), Multiple Meanings, Literary Mismatches, The Human Body and Anagrams (which I usually suck at).  I got 7 stumpers, too: Jerusalem, Baffin, Inigo Jones, heartburn (forgot it was a book first, but I'm familiar with the movie), cuspidor, the Ministry of Silly Walks and giraffe.

I expected to do better in Hooray For Hollywood! but I couldn't come up with Max Factor in time and have never heard of Musso & Frank's.  I said Grauman's Chinese Theater for that clue, but since that is the original name, it would've been correct.

On 5/19/2023 at 7:34 PM, Katy M said:

Whizz Khalifa (sp?) saved me from totally tanking hip hop.

Wiz Khalifa and Flo Rida were my only gets in that category.  Although I should've known Ad Rock, if only from watching The Goldbergs.

On 5/20/2023 at 1:41 AM, South said:

And just like that, it’s back in me head, again!

Mine too.

On 5/20/2023 at 8:45 AM, GreekGeek said:

I did wonder if Erica should have received credit for “Appalachin” Trail. I know spelling errors don’t count if the pronunciation isn’t changed, but I thought the pronunciation is different if you omit the last “a.”

Allegedly those who live in Appalachia pronounced the name of the region "Appalatcha" so the name of the trail comes out more "Appalatchin".  That's what I've read in various places, not sure how true it is, but I'm sure that's why they accepted the spelling, due to the alternate pronunciation.

In my head, I went with Les Nessman's pronunciation: "Appa-lat-chia", but only in my head.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, South said:

When he passed, I asked my speaker to play his music.  I was soon looking up lyrics and crying on the sofa in the middle of the day.  I knew the 3 or 4 songs of his that got airplay in their day, but dang!  There were some feelings coming around that afternoon.  Have any of y’all heard his song about the boat?

Solid Gold.  It lives in my family.

Love it. And on the day he died, the bells at Old Mariners Church rang 30 times...29 for the crewmen of the Edmund Fitzgerald and once for him.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Not one of my better games - just wasn't feeling it today. Should have gotten some of the clues I missed but didn't pick up on some hints in the clue like "don't reanimate corpses" for Frankenstein.

Did about the same in both rounds. No TSs which is kind of embarrassing since there were so many of them. Only 2 decent categories - got 4 in "Assisting the Detective" and "Yo", I'll Solve It".

At least I got FJ. First said "The Wizard of Oz" and then changed it to "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". Too bad I can't count it as 2 correct FJs.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

May 22:

70% / 55% / 62%

Started out pretty bad but picked up as we went along for a decent first round…ran Problem (thanks to them taking so long with the 'solve for x' clue, I had time to figure it out), missed one Book, and two each in Art, Detectives, and "Yo."

Went to hell in DJ…ran Redwood Forest (the four they got to, anyway), missed one in A Loss for Words, two in Vacation Spots, three in Historic People and Rice Pudding, and four in Pop Culture 2003.

Did not get FJ and then felt dumb.

TSes were Frankenstein, x=5, The Man in the Iron Mask, Real Time with Bill Maher, and salamander.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

I got FJ right.

I got the missed clues of the Sun Also Rises and the Man in the Iron Mask,

I got the entire category of Detectives right and the entire category of pop culture wrong.

Had a much better first round than DJ.

• Like 4

My TS: Frankenstein, 5, Remington, The Sun Also Rises (read in HS), The Man in the Iron Mask, Michelle Williams, Red Cloud (they showed a picture of a red cloud!), bereavement.  I went with "newt" instead of "salamander", because I at least know that "lizards & geckos" are not amphibians, and I didn't think it was a frog or toad (the only other amphibians I know). FJ was an instaget.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I also said Anne of Green Gables for FJ -- the green threw me off, I guess.  

I did get the TS of Remington, Frankenstein, The Man in the Iron Mask, and salamander.

15 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I at least know that "lizards & geckos" are not amphibians

Thank you!  I was yelling at the TV about that.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also said Anne of Green Gables for FJ -- the green threw me off, I guess.  

Didn't think of Anne of Green Gables - which is somewhat surprising since I'm an Anne with an "E". What confirmed The Wizard of Oz for me was "a vivid jewel tone of green" in the clue which got me to emerald and The Emerald City.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

That detective category might have been my favorite category ever. My dad and I shouted with joy to see that Encyclopedia Brown was in there! So many great memories of reading those books together when I was growing up! ❤️

• Like 8
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
On 5/20/2023 at 5:27 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Apparently, The Jeopardy Fan found a citation that says app-a-latchen is the "southern" pronunciation, and app-a-LAY-shun is the "northern".  Much as I respect his body of work, I can't get behind that!

I grew up in the north, and now live in the south. I say “app-a-lay-chen”. Best of both worlds!

For FJ, I got stuck trying to think of green animals, for some reason. (“Is there a book about a lizard?”) Mr. Helens thought he had it, so I asked him for a clue. “Emerald.” “Oh! Wizard of Oz!!” So I got it with an assist. If only Jeopardy came with phone-a-friends.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 7

I wasn't home for this game, and after the Masters games I didn't have the mental energy to look up the whole game, just FJ, which was an instaguess I feared was totally off base, but I didn't have anything else, so stuck with it.  Good for me.

• Like 4
(edited)

I knew The Giving Tree was at least half a century later, but I couldn't get it's bright green cover out of my head. If only I would take my own advice and read the entire clue out loud to myself, I'd probably get more FJs.
The FJs I miss that I should have been able to get typically have a key word at the end (like "jewel tone of green") which I'd more likely catch if I read them out loud. 
And then there's the punny word play elements that one has to be ready to catch.

I did get the TSs of Frankenstein and Red Cloud.
I'm guessing they were missed by the contestants because of the image components?
Why don't they just get a bigger screen to make the visuals more accessible to the players?!?

OTOH, sometimes they don't let us at home see the clues as long as the contestants do.

So, I probably would've gotten 

• Solve for x:
    3x - 2y = 11,
    when y=2

if I could have seen it the entire time,
whereas Ben would have probably gotten it if he could have seen it clearly at all.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

For FJ, I got stuck trying to think of green animals, for some reason. (“Is there a book about a lizard?”)

My first thought was Frog and toad.  I don't think those books are that old, but its what came to mind first.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, chicagofan said:

At least I got FJ. First said "The Wizard of Oz" and then changed it to "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". Too bad I can't count it as 2 correct FJs.

I did that too.

I know there were a lot of ts's but either I didn't write them down or I didn't get them.

Instaget FJ.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought maybe The Secret Garden...A garden = green, to me. 

I considered that, too, for the same reason. I didn't think the date was right, either.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

My first thought was Frog and toad.  I don't think those books are that old, but its what came to mind first.

The Frog and Toad books were published in the 1970s.

• Useful 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Didn't think of Anne of Green Gables - which is somewhat surprising since I'm an Anne with an "E". What confirmed The Wizard of Oz for me was "a vivid jewel tone of green" in the clue which got me to emerald and The Emerald City.

Yep, Jewel green was what nailed it for me, though I did think of Anne of Green Gables.

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I first thought you were referring to Wind in the Willows (which was published in 1908), I wonder if the Frog and Toad books are based on that.

It was a pretty decent game for me, I ran "Yo", and nearly ran a few others. Apparently I paid no attention at all to pop culture in 2003.

And starting out the week with an FJ is always nice. Lets me relax with the next games.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2

I knew Anne of Green Gables was published in 1908. My first thought was The Secret Garden.

Nothing against Ben- he is a great player, but all these runaway games are getting old. With the other long run champs there were occasional close games. I think Mayim even mentioned he has the longest streak of runaway games.

• Like 1

I did okay last night.  Ran 6 categories: Art Imitating Life, Book-Pourri, Problem, "Yo", Vacation Spots and Redwood.  Okay, so they didn't get to the last clue in Redwood but I'm still counting.  I got all but one clue right in Assisting The Detective, Loss For Words and Pop Culture.  I got a whopping 10 stumpers: Remington, poke bonnet (thank you, Laura Ingalls Wilder), Frankenstein, The Sun Also Rises, 5 (if I got an algebra question right, it had to be dead easy), The Man in the Iron Mask, salamander, Michelle Williams, the White Stripes (man, I hate 7 Nation Army but it's why I knew the Wichita reference) and Jack Aubrey.

FJ was an instaget.  Jewel-green colored cover had to be a reference to the Emerald City.

18 hours ago, illdoc said:

Red Cloud (they showed a picture of a red cloud!)

I should've gotten that one but all I could think was Rainbow Cloud and knew that couldn't possibly be right.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

Mixed bag today - had a great J round but DJ was a disaster. And no FJ.

J round was one of my best. Ran "Aviation", "Historical Hodgepodge" and "G" Rated Words" and got 4 in "Super Bowl Winners by Quarterback". Got all 3 TSs/missed DD of missing man formation, black sheep and summit (DD).

Complete 180 in the DJ round - only got 3 right in 1 category - boo me! Did get the missed DD of Turkey but it was a total guess.

• Like 3
(edited)

May 23:

77% / 59% / 68%

Pretty good first round; ran Animals in Literature (shoutout to Bastet!), missed one in Aviation, Historical Hodgepodge, "G"-Rated Words, and Shellfish (which I do not eat), and three in Super Bowl Winners by Quarterback. When I saw the Super Bowl category I said I should just fill in the zeros before they even started...I just said Giants until one of them was right, and I actually knew Tom Brady played for the Patriots.

Then came DJ...sigh…Missed one in Sitcoms (I knew it was 'that Tim Allen show' but I couldn't think of the name in time), three in Paris, and two in everything else.

I got FJ but I had to think about it. So sad to see Ben! go, especially since he was so close!

Got the TSes of Black Sheep, internet, and Turkey/Türkiye (DD).

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

I said troilus and Cressida for lack of a better answer.

I got the missed clues of black sheep and Last Man Standing.

I got the entire ctegories of G words and sitcoms right (even without having ever watched at least 2 of them0 and the entire category of shellfish wrong.

• Like 2

I also said Troilus and Cressida because that is the J! Shakespeare standard question.  Can’t remember the new champ’s name but I predict she won’t have a long run.  I will miss Ben.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I also said Troilus and Cressida because that is the J! Shakespeare standard question.

Me too. And also because I said “No way can it be as obvious as Romeo and Juliet”

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
14 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

The answer is Benedick. Ben wrote Benedict.

Shoot, I said Beatrice & Benedict and that's how I would have written it too. 

Won't miss Ben. Not sure why he was given credit for quahog when he didn't think he pronounced it correctly.

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

The answer is Benedick. Ben wrote Benedict.

And here I was so proud of myself thinking I got half of the answer right. Shakespeare is not my category but took a guess figuring benediction meant blessing in Latin and therefore Benedict. I was confused when Mayim said Ben was wrong and had to look it up. 

Well, he had a good run!

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Won't miss Ben. Not sure why he was given credit for quahog when he didn't think he pronounced it correctly.

I think he was phonetically correct, at least. 

One could make a case for allowing creative spelling for Shakespeare characters, considering that Shaxper was inconsistent in the spelling of his own name.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
39 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Benedick and Appalachin — I don’t see why one was called wrong and the other was allowed.

I was thinking the same thing. I was so sure his name was Benedict.

25 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Not of fan of the new champ. Slow chooser. 

I'll take...uhhh....let's see ....maybe ....let me talk slow.

Spit it out

I was irked by her slowness at first, but she picked up the pace and impressed me in DJ.

• Like 1
(edited)

I get the impression that Ben was exhausted and wasn't unhappy to leave.  (Or maybe 'exhausted' is just his default demeanor.  I forget if he was a bit peppier during his first few appearances.)

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 5
12 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I get the impression that Ben was exhausted and wasn't unhappy to leave.  (Or maybe 'exhausted' is just his default demeanor.  I forget if he was a bit peppier during his first few appearances.)

I got the exact same impression.  He had a fabulous run and we’ll see him again.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

Benedick and Appalachin — I don’t see why one was called wrong and the other was allowed.

1 hour ago, Driad said:

One could make a case for allowing creative spelling for Shakespeare characters, considering that Shaxper was inconsistent in the spelling of his own name.

“Appalachin” is literally how it’s pronounced. I know there’s disagreement about whether the A in “lach” is long or short, but I’ve never heard anyone pronounce the “-ian” as two syllables. So that seems to me to be an acceptable phonetic spelling. 

But I also wondered if the spelling of all Shakespeare’s characters is absolutely standard. Apparently so. 

• Like 5
(edited)
26 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

But I also wondered if the spelling of all Shakespeare’s characters is absolutely standard. Apparently so. 

All I know is that a book I read back in the day had a theatrical family where a number of members had Shakespearean names - Desdemona, Macbeth, Juliet and...Benedick (no "T").

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

I get the impression that Ben was exhausted and wasn't unhappy to leave.  

I’m not picking on you here, but we get this same comment every time a long running champ gets defeated. Can we all just agree that:

1- Playing multiple games in a single day (or a succession of days) must be mentally stressful. Just getting yourself to a state of total focus and concentration, over and over, has to take a toll. 

2. No contestant on this show wants to be defeated. In their heart of hearts, they would all love to be the next Ken Jennings and go on a streak that matches (or surpasses!) his.

So yes, I’m sure the champs get tired. But no, they aren’t secretly hoping to lose. They are just extraordinary yet fallible humans who can’t always play a perfect game.

Great job, Ben! Good luck in ToC.

• Like 12
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 8
2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Because Appalachin is how it’s pronounced. The last a is silent.

This comes up again and again. FJ answers can be misspelled as long as it doesn’t change the pronunciation. If Ben had written “Bennedikk” that would have been ruled correct. But -dict is not pronounced the same as -dick.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2

Tonight I decided Mayim pauses before ruling on each response because she has to check her cards (or her screen, or whatever they give her) and she hasn't looked at or memorized what they say. It annoyed me a lot this time. CLEAR THE BOARD. Don't waste time!

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2