Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

And Ben, please lose the "raise the roof" intro and enough with the swaying.

Ben and Mattea seem to be cousins as far as their gestures and quizzical looks after responding. But I’ve decided I’m okay with it. 

36 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't know much about sports, but even *I* got Sally Fieldgoal.

I figured the problem was that the only role they identified was Gidget

• Like 6
On 5/17/2023 at 8:08 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I never thought of oysters as a Hawaiian thing, but due to lack of knowledge, that was the only thing I could come up with.

I did get Wednesday's FJ (probably because my parents lived there their last 30 years, and my oldest daughter went to the see the USS Arizona one time) but I almost rejected it because I wasn't sure if the water there was too warm for oysters (my oyster-eating experiences were in the Georgia Straight) . . .

11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Quoting myself after a night's sleep to say, D'oh!  What do you get from oysters?  Pearls...

Oooh.
Oy.
[ster]
I didn't even think of the "Pearl" part of "Pear Harbor."
It's always been like "Pearlharbor" to me. 🙃🤣🦪
But I did decide to go with it in time.

I also instagot and correctly said and pronounced the TS of qu'est-ce que c'est. Alex would love my pronunciation, thanks to my high school French teacher.  

For tonight's FJ the only Billy Joel song I could think of was "Piano Man" (16 years too early) but I did get the TSs of Look, Sally Field goal, and Persian.

Mayim's impersonation of Yogi Bear's "Hey, Boo Boo Bear" was spot on.

I guess I'll have to accept that the Daily Double visual and audio effects push her over the edge.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

GF said the flags category should have had 'Sheldon Cooper' doing video clues from his 'Fun With Flags' show.

As a native Long Islander, and Billy Joel fan since, well, forever, I would have been embarrassed if I missed FJ.

• Like 9
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wasn't paying too close attention, but I had to look up images of Snagglepuss. We had a B&W TV back then; I had no idea he was pink.  I knew the correct response, regardless of color, but the pink thing boggled me.

Snagglepuss was one of my TSs, but the pink part of the clue wasn't helpful. Briefly thought Pink Panther, but thought "no, if that was it they wouldn't have put pink in the clue". Just one I was able to pull out of the recesses of my brain in time. Thanks to the Saturday morning cartoons of my youth back in the olden days. Now exit, stage left

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Since classic TV animation is one of my jams, I easily ran the Hanna-Barbera category, including Snagglepuss. It makes me feel old that that clue was a triple stumper.

Since this is a Jeopardy! discussion, I'm sure no one will mind if I be "that guy" and point out that the Pink Panther cartoons were produced by DePatie-Freleng, not Hanna-Barbera.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Mayim tried with her "exit" line, but it just didn't work.  Maybe if she had attempted the Snagglepuss accent or even said "Exit stage left", but nope.

That's what I thought too.

Snagglepuss was my only ts.

For FJ I first said Uptown Girl but thought it was earlier so changed to We Didn't Start the Fire.  Good thing I changed🙂

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Damn, Ben is a beast!  Even after missing the first DD, he still ended up with a commanding lead.  He's really fast on the buzzer.  But hey, he said the same wrong answer I did for that DD.

I had a so-so game.  Did poorly in the first round, but better in DJ.  And I got FJ, mainly because Ben FM, my go-to morning car radio station, has been playing We Didn't Start the Fire a lot lately.  It's not one of my favorite Billy Joel songs.  Definitely nowhere near as good as the songs on his best album, The Stranger.

I only ran one category, International Movies.  I got all but one clue seven others: Restaurants (missed in the dark, which is an utterly stupid concept, imo), Magazines, Before & Actor, Flags Of Spanish Speaking Nations, Organizations, It All Starts With "U" and Repeats Itself. 

Sally Field goal and the Pillars of Hercules were my only stumpers; I knew the second one because I own the book of that name by Paul Theroux about his journeys around the Mediterranean (literally from one Pillar of Hercules to the other).  Given how much time I spent studying ancient Greek art in college, I should've gotten frieze but didn't.  And I could see Snagglepuss and hear him saying "Heavens to Murgatroyd" but could not remember the character's name to save my life.

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

We had a B&W TV back then; I had no idea he was pink

Me, too.  I just always assumed he was lion-colored.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

but I did get the TSs of Look, Sally Field goal, and Persian.

I almost said Persian but then didn't for some reason.  Wish I had.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Oooh.
Oy.
[ster]

I didn't either until I just read this.  I just said it because it was the only waterbased Memorial I could think of.  

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

We Didn't Start The Fire was playing on the radio when I started the car this morning.

I wonder if they're playing it because someone watched Jeopardy!

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
11 hours ago, Moose135 said:

GF said the flags category should have had 'Sheldon Cooper' doing video clues from his 'Fun With Flags' show.

With Amy Farah Fowler (Mayim) in it as well? I thought it was a nice tip of the hat to Mayim.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

We Didn't Start The Fire was playing on the radio when I started the car this morning.

Let's hope it doesn't become like that song about the ship on the big lake they call.... (😉) on our forum.

I did pretty well overall, I had 4 in 4 categories (State Capital, Restaurants. Hanna Barbara, and International Movies). Got 3 in most of the other categories.

With the date, 1989, and Billy, I got to the FJ pretty quickly. It was more the date than the rest of the clue.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Since this is a Jeopardy! discussion, I'm sure no one will mind if I be "that guy" and point out that the Pink Panther cartoons were produced by DePatie-Freleng, not Hanna-Barbera

Not to mention, but I don't think PP even spoke! 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Just found out that Ben went to my high school in NYC.  He was Class of ‘97. 
I would have guessed he was much older. 

Edited by HyeChaps
Typo
  • Mind Blown 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Just found out that Ben went to my high school in NYC.  He was Class of ‘97. 
I would have guessed he was much older. 

I assumed he was older than me...I was also Class of ‘97...in college!

Pretty good J round. Ran "Some of the 10 Commandments" and "Gates", and got 4 in "On a First Name Basis with Booze". TSs/missed DDs were Jerusalem and Mumbai.

DJ not as good but not horrible. Ran "The Human Body" and got 4 in "Sweet 1616". Only got the missed DD of Baffin.

I hate anagram categories because they're not on the screen long enough which makes it harder to figure them out. Got 2 of them - paparazzi and conquistador - but think I would have gotten Eggs Benedict and cuspidor if I'd had a longer look.

FJ was an instaget, so 3 for 5 this week in FJ. Yes!!!

Was talking to a friend earlier today who watches Jeopardy, but not on a daily basis. She said she doesn't particularly like it when Mayim hosts and specifically mentioned tbat she dislikes how she tends to pause before confirming answers. There's a reason why we've been friends since the third grade.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
(edited)

May 19:

83% / 43% / 63%

Finally a good round! Ran Commandments and Booze, missed one in Hollywood, Balls, and Gates, and two in Multiple Meanings.

Ugh on DJ…missed one in Human Body, two in Literary Mismatches and Anagrams (better than I've done in most anagram categories lately), three in Sweet 1616, four in Hip-Hop Names (was surprised I got any, to be honest), and totally failed Gaits (I, too, knew it was Silly Walks but could not come up with Ministry; but I should have known giraffe because I saw something about them being related to okapis recently).

FJ was an almost-instaget (though with a question mark at first because I was trying to think of what each letter stood for before it clicked that it was actually Georgia/Maine, but I said the answer before trying to sort out the letters).

My only TSes were Spalding (my sports-loving neighbors had a Pomeranian named Spalding…he looked like a furry basketball; wasn't sure if they made other sportsballs but it was my best guess) and Jerusalem.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of Mumbai, Jerusalem, somersault, and cuspidor.

I got the entire categories of gates, booze, and anagrams right.  I drink like once a year, so the booze one was a little weird.  Whizz Khalifa (sp?) saved me from totally tanking hip hop.

• Like 4

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  It runs very close to where I live, and this stretch is quite lovely.

I also got the TS of Jerusalem, tender, and Ministry of Silly Walks.  I should have gotten cuspidor, but my brain went to spittoon at the beginning of the clue, and wouldn't switch.

Is Ben getting tired?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Is Ben getting tired?

He always does look a little tired, but his results indicate otherwise.

He did take a bit of a risk ringing in on that last clue, right? I’d have to go back and look at the scores. I’m pretty sure if he’d gotten it wrong he would have lost the runaway. So I guess if he hadn’t rung in correctly, 2nd place lady could have gotten it and again he’d have lost the runaway. 

Amazingly, I think I got all the anagrams tonight. Usually I just stare at them with my mouth hanging open. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Since classic TV animation is one of my jams, I easily ran the Hanna-Barbera category, including Snagglepuss. It makes me feel old that that clue was a triple stumper.

23 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Couldn't think of snagglepuss. Probably 40 years since ive watched those cartoons. 

On 5/18/2023 at 8:07 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

We had a B&W TV back then; I had no idea he was pink

9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Me, too.  I just always assumed he was lion-colored.

9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And I could see Snagglepuss and hear him saying "Heavens to Murgatroyd" but could not remember the character's name to save my life.

I could see Snagglepuss, although in my mind's eye he was blue, still, I tried to come up with his name but got stuck on Snuffleupagus (grandbaby loves Sesame Street) which I knew was wrong.
But now I'm wondering if Snuffle-up-a-gus was at all inspired by Snaggle-puss.

I don't drink and got 4 out of 5 of the first names in the booze category. 
I also got 4 out of 5 in the 10 commandments. 

FJ was an instaget even though I could not figure out the acronym, but I assumed the "G" had to be for Georgia. There's no "G" that would go with the Pacific Crest Trail, and if there are any other north-south trails in the US, I'm not familiar.

I've noticed Mayim has totally stopped doing the snarky asides for TSs, which is a big improvement.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Finally a good round! Ran Commandments and Booze, missed one in Hollywood, Balls, and Gates, and two in Multiple Meanings.

I ran Commandments and got 4 in booze (couldn't come up with Jose in time) - somehow there's something weird about doing well in both those categories in the same game.

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

IIs Ben getting tired?

Hope springs eternal.  I don't understand why Mayim hesitates before saying the response is correct.  It's right there in front of her and most times it's either right  or wrong (no need to check with the judges).

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
54 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

I ran Commandments and got 4 in booze (couldn't come up with Jose in time) - somehow there's something weird about doing well in both those categories in the same game.

I had the exact same thought!

I hardly even drink (haven't had alcohol since shortly before Christmas, and wouldn't drink any of the items in tonight's clues, anyway) but somehow I tend to do well with alcohol categories. Not so much Bible stuff but the Ten Cs are pretty well known.

• Like 4
(edited)

I greatly enjoyed Erica and was rooting for her.  Alas.

Chris was so very confident in his wrong response to the Musso & Frank's clue, I had to look it (Nick & Sam's) up -- it's a Dallas steakhouse, and he's from a Dallas suburb, so mystery solved.

I almost ran the first round, but I could not for the life of me remember Kenan Thompson's name, and I missed two in commandments (which, of course, is pretty good for me and a Bible category).

But I only ran body in DJ.  I got all but one in anagrams (I knew "cuspidor" immediately, but the other TS, somersault, stumped me, too), but missed three in literary and two each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget.  I had a lot of those this week.  In fact, I think all but one (which I didn't get at all, let alone instantly).

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
On 5/18/2023 at 9:59 PM, shapeshifter said:

I did get Wednesday's FJ (probably because my parents lived there their last 30 years, and my oldest daughter went to the see the USS Arizona one time) but I almost rejected it because I wasn't sure if the water there was too warm for oysters (my oyster-eating experiences were in the Georgia Straight) . . .

Oooh.
Oy.
[ster]
It's always been like "Pearlharbor" to me. 🙃🤣🦪

Thank you for explaining that...I also think "Pearlharbor". I did get FJ, easily, because it's the first water-based memorial I could think of, but didn't get the oyster part of the clue.

• Like 4

Internet outage kept me from posting yesterday, but if I had, I would have noted that Mayim was pleasantly unannoying. I actually enjoyed her commentary on some of the cartoon clues, especially the understated “Hey Boo-boo”. Maybe there’s hope for her yet. 

Also, I got FJ, which combined with today’s near instaget makes for a satisfying conclusion to the week. I assumed “We Didn’t Start the Fire” was the song because with such convoluted lyrics, they had to be written before the music. For today’s, although I’ve never heard of the “GAME” acronym, knowing it referred to two points made me cut it in half, which led quickly to Georgia and Maine, then to the Appalachian Trail, of which I proudly hiked about 1 mile last summer! (We were hiking a different trail that happened to meet up with the Appalachian for a short distance.)

Although I got very close with other categories, the only one I ran completely was “On a First Name with Booze”. Make of that what you will.

I was rooting hard for Erica today. She was such a cheerful, charming presence and I wanted to see more of her. 

• Like 8
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And just like that, it’s back in me head, again!

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, South said:

OK - let's try this one:

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty
That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early

• Like 3
  • LOL 9

I thought Ben seemed vulnerable for the first time last night. If Erica and/or Chris had answered a few more questions correctly, they would have avoided another runaway. Although it didn’t change the outcome, I did wonder if Erica should have received credit for “Appalachin” Trail. I know spelling errors don’t count if the pronunciation isn’t changed, but I thought the pronunciation is different if you omit the last “a.”

• Like 1
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

He always does look a little tired, but his results indicate otherwise.

For this run he's seemed livelier than he did in his first few games. My memory (such as it is) was that he was pretty low energy (despite being a powerhouse) during the first run, so my mind made up the story that he was getting sick during those games.

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I took a shine to Erica.

She was a lot of fun and I was almost sorry that Ben won.

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't drink and got 4 out of 5 of the first names in the booze category.

I have one drink a year, generally, when we go out for my birthday. I haven't even had that since the pandemic started.

14 hours ago, dcalley said:

I knew cuspidor!

I got stuck on "spitoon", which I knew wasn't what they were going for. Couldn't come up with the "fancier" name. 😆

10 hours ago, South said:

Uh-oh.

I did okay, it wasn't the best game, but not the worst either. Got something in most categories, and more in anagrams than I usually do.

I was stuck on highways for FJ - after figuring out it was a route from Georgia to Maine. Never thought of the Appalachian Trail.

• Like 4
Just now, HyeChaps said:

I am sure that, if Ken had been hosting, he would have also said Boo Boo in the Yogi Bear voice.

He also would have properly done "Heavens to Murgatroyd".

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5
6 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

I am sure that, if Ken had been hosting, he would have also said Boo Boo in the Yogi Bear voice.

4 minutes ago, illdoc said:

He also would have properly done "Heavens to Murgatroyd".

And since the Snagglepuss clue was the last one in the J round he would have gone to commercial with "exit, stage left".

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I get it, Mayim is not Ken, Ken is not Mayim....but... Jeopardy is still Jeopardy!   I wish that was the main issue these days. 

Ben is a great champion and I can't wait to see him in the tournament of champions. 

I did really well on clues today.  It has been up and down for me this week. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

OK - let's try this one:

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty
That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early

Aw, I still can't believe he is gone. One of my all time favourite  singer songwriters. 😢

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8
9 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

but I thought the pronunciation is different if you omit the last “a.”

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Not when I say it...

Not when I say it, either.  And I pronounce the "ch" as a "ch", not as a "sh" -- Appalachia, to me, is pronounced apple-atcha.  And Appalachian is apple-atchin.  It is not pronounced the same as appellation, imo.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

People don't seem to have that long A problem with Apalachicola, though.  And that one's only got one L, which, in my mind, would lead you to believe the 3rd A is a long one, but it's not. Likewise, the second A following a single P. It's very confusing.

• Like 2
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Not when I say it, either.  And I pronounce the "ch" as a "ch", not as a "sh" -- Appalachia, to me, is pronounced apple-atcha.  And Appalachian is apple-atchin.  It is not pronounced the same as appellation, imo.

Apparently, The Jeopardy Fan found a citation that says app-a-latchen is the "southern" pronunciation, and app-a-LAY-shun is the "northern".  Much as I respect his body of work, I can't get behind that!

(scroll a little past halfway down here: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2023/05/final-jeopardy-5-19-2023.html )

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 1