Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Got 2 TSs - Wellington and Rizzoli & Isles. I got sheep before the reveal, but not until I said dog first. Remembered the cliche of there being more sheep in New Zealand than people.

Based on my googling, there are roughly 5 sheep for every person in New Zealand.  I ran that category.

I remember having gotten tired of Ben, but I'm glad to have him back for the moment since he eliminated Hannah.  And in a complete blowout at that, proving to me that she was a fairly mediocre champ who mostly had little to no competition.

4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Hannah throughout her sessions always took her fellow players into consideration when she was way ahead by betting lower.  I liked that about her.

Eh, I say bet for yourself, based on what you need to win and how comfortable you are with the subject.  I'd pretty much be betting the most I could without losing my lead as long as it was a good subject for me.

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Did anyone else notice that when Ben answered the Opera clue he added an extra vowel? I thought I heard Madama Butterfly and the answer should have been Madame Butterfly (with the last “e” not enunciated). 

Madama Butterfly is the correct name of the Italian opera.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I credit my years of watching every British crime drama under the sun with me getting Special Branch lol.  

I've been reading Anne Perry's "Thomas and Charlotte Pitt" books since the beginning, and I still blanked on it. 

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I enjoyed the books and the TV series but I had forgotten the cast and was trying to think of Anika Noni Rose instead of Jill Scott anyway.

I didn't remember Jill Scott's name either.

I could see her face, I knew who she is....and I also forgot her name!  I was telling my husband, "Oh, you know....she was the angry caregiver who abused her paralyzed sister in the one 'Law & Order SVU' episode!  And she's on 'Black Lightning'..."  But the actress's name?  Nope.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

My FJ guess was National Geographic… nah, of course it was Rolling Stone. Too easy. Had you rolling your eyes for a second, though, didn’t I?

I was not surprised at the outcome, although I did feel a little bad for deer-in-headlights Hannah. As bad as you can feel for a 5-day champ, anyway. But the one I felt really bad for was Wendy. Against 2 multi-day champs, she really had no chance.

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

BTW, if you can find 1st Ladies Detective Agency, I recommend it. 

Me too!! I loved that show so much. I’m still mad/sad that it ended so prematurely. (Exec producer, who brought it to the screen, died and his vision apparently died with him. I think there was also a rights issue tangled up in his estate.) It does appear to have survived the recent HBO purge, though, so that’s something. Such a unique and enjoyable show.

• Sad 2
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

although I did feel a little bad for deer-in-headlights Hannah. As bad as you can feel for a 5-day champ,

She was an 8-day champ.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Hannah throughout her sessions always took her fellow players into consideration when she was way ahead by betting lower.  I liked that about her.

She won but didn't humiliate her competitors.

I enjoyed Hannah's run, but I never got the impression that she wagered less out of consideration for the other contestants. It seemed to me she bet lower when she felt less confident about the category, which is a smart move.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2

May 16:

47% / 60% / 53%

Egads. Missed two in Poe, Pop Metal Bands, and B is the First Letter, three in RIP Lounges and Colleges, and four in Automotive Alliteration. In DJ I missed one in Animals, three in Twists, and two each in the rest. Had nothing for FJ and my only TS was stay-at-home.

Lydia-Claire was wearing a Poe necklace and there was a Poe category!

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I said Victor Hugo.  I knew it was wrong.

At least you had something.  I had nothing at all.

No ts's either.  Not a very good game for me.  Hope I do better in the Masters games.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Power of the Dog.

I should have gotten that one. I saw it, could picture BC in it, but blanked on the title (even after hearing the wrong response, I knew it was close but didn't get there).

• Like 3

Looks like I'm not the only one that would just as soon forget today's game. No TSs and only 2 good categories - ran "Poe Places" in the J round and got 4 in "Heaven on Earth" in DJ. And to finish things off a big no for FJ.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Lydia-Claire was wearing a Poe necklace and there was a Poe category!

Thank you! I noticed it during DJ and thought that's what it was. I liked Lydia-Claire and feel guilty that I couldn't quite root against Ben's streak for her so I was glad that at least she came in second.

I should have gotten that one. I saw it, could picture BC in it, but blanked on the title (even after hearing the wrong response, I knew it was close but didn't get there).

I remembered hearing about the movie on Pop Culture Happy Hour but I couldn't think of the title, and when Mayim ruled against Year of the Dog it sounded familiar enough that my first reaction was "Benedict Cumberbatch was in *two* cowboy movies in 2021?" before she gave the corrected title.

It didn't matter since it was a runaway, but when I saw the Final clue even though I couldn't think of a response I figured it was philosophy-adjacent and Ben would come up with it.

• Like 2

Ugh -- "Women World Leaders".  STOP IT.

And knowing the raven quoth "Nevermore" should not be worth $400 outside of a Toddler Tournament.

Once again, it was a close game until Ben got the first DD.  Tom seemed to really deflate after he got his wrong.

I did not see the end of Lydia-Claire's already-entertaining story coming, so that was fun.  And, like the contestants, I'd never heard of the game "Turn For the Wurst", but I agree with Mayim that's kind of cute.

I ran Poe, cars, and B, and got all but one each in the rest of the first round (I was so sure I was going to run Pop Metal Bands, but I didn't know the Kiss song).

But in DJ I only ran leaders, and only got close in Don't Go Anywhere, getting all but one.  I missed two each in all the rest.

I never even came up with a guess for FJ.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I did not see the end of Lydia-Claire's already-entertaining story coming, so that was fun.  

The reddit recap summary of her story says, "tried to turn the elementary school principal into a frog, and his wife wasn't much help" 😄

Anyone else wondering where Ben's tattoo is?

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4
6 hours ago, illdoc said:

She was an 8-day champ.

Yes, I thought Hannah had more than 5 games, I just didn’t recall the exact number. I only meant that I can’t feel too sorry for someone who has won enough to qualify for the the ToC. I hope she’s feeling good about her run.

I spent all of today’s FJ trying to figure out what Sartre meant in that quote, so never even got near the answer. But, hey, at least I knew all of the (apparently hilarious) pop metal bands!

Lydia-Claire may not have won the game, but she had the most entertaining contestant story in recent memory. Talk about Twists and Turns!

• Like 5

I read more Camus than I ever wanted to, when I was in school, and I knew Camus was being referenced, but somehow I thought it was supposed to be the name of a Camus protagonist, not of Camus himself. So I was reviewing all the stupid plots but couldn't remember a single name of a character.

Clearly, I'm tired. 

Also, I really hated Camus. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I didn't run anything, but I almost ran RIP, Poe, Automobile (!!) and Heaven. So that's fairly decent.

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I had the same problem - I think because I found the movie so very boring, despite the subtlety (which may be why I found it boring). 

14 hours ago, Trey said:

Whatever I had for FJ, I've already forgotten it. So it's almost like I had nothing.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Trey said:

I said Ernest Hemingway for no intelligent reason.  I just thought Sartre would've appreciated his macho attitude.  I now feel deeply ashamed that I did not get Albear Camoo.  Alex would've been so disappointed.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I knew it had dog in it, so I said The Way of the Dog.  Oh well.

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Also, I really hated Camus. 

I had to read L'Etranger for French class my senior year.  I also hate Camus.  (Although that book did provided the inspiration for a great Cure song, so that's something.)

• Like 3

Apart from not getting FJ, I had a particularly good game last night.  I only got 1 stumper (stay-at-home), but got all but one clue in Automotive Alliteration, Twists and Turns.  And I ran seven categories: Chillin' In The R.I.P. Lounge, Poe Places, Pop Metal Bands, "B" Is The First Letter, Heaven On Earth, Women World Leaders and Animals.

I was going to count Animals as an "all but 1 clue" category, since I said "foosa" instead of "fossa".  However, upon googling, I discovered that the locals pronounce it as "foosa" so I would have been correct.

• Like 4

Archive game for me for last night, and I did not get FJ.  I had no clue for FJ.  I did record the game and may watch, though -- how did Mayim do on the Camus pronunciation?

I might also have to watch to see the Poe necklace!

I got three TS -- Fossa/foosa*, stay-at-home, and Power of the Dog.  I loved that movie.

*I have to thank the movie, Madagascar for that one.  When I saw it, I wasn't sure what King Julien meant when he talked about a foosa, and I wasn't sure if it was a real animal, so I looked it up at the time and learned the real spelling. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

*I have to thank the movie, Madagascar for that one.  When I saw it, I wasn't sure what King Julien meant when he talked about a foosa, and I wasn't sure if it was a real animal, so I looked it up at the time and learned the real spelling. 

Me, too.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I just looked up foosa/fossa on Wikipedia because I've never watched Madagascar and I see it is related to the Malagasy civet.  Civet is what I answered for that clue so I feel somewhat (but not completely) vindicated.

• Like 5

Mixed bag today.

Did o.k. in the J round. No TSs, but ran "X" in the City and got 4 right in "Great Brits".

Knew that DJ would be a train wreck when I saw the categories - I was right. Did have a couple of bright spots as I ran "U.S. Presidential Elections" and got the TSs of telescope and (Sam) McGee. And I felt somewhat better about my DJ performance once I saw that there were 10 TSs.

FJ was pretty much an instaget - watery national memorial = Pearl Harbor.  2 for 3 this week so far. 🙂

• Like 2

May 17:

73% / 50% / 62%

Finally in the realm of "decent game" (for me), in the first round, at least…ran Pantomime Horse, missed one in Movies and Questions, and two in the rest. Back to "ugh" in DJ…missed one in Podcasts, two in Elections, Scientific Devices, and Poe'm's, three in Jeopardy After Dark, and, unsurprisingly, completely failed Recent Pop Music.

I got FJ, though not exactly an instaget…thought USS Arizona first, then figured it didn't have its own 'waters' and went with the harbor in which it sank. 

Got both second-round DDs, and the TSes of qu'est-ce que c'est (thank dog I didn't have to spell it), winds, turbine, and Bowen Yang.

• Like 3

I got FJ fairly quickly.

I got the missed clues of Brandeis, quest que c'est, winds, Double X, and telescope.

I gotthe entire category of x city right and music wrong.

had another terrible DJ, but not quite as bad as yesterday.

• Like 4

Not an instaget FJ, though it should have been.  I did manage it in time to write it down.

I got two TS -- qu'est-ce que c'est and Sam Magee.  If I'd had to write out qu'est-ce que c'est, I would have lost -- I had to look up how to spell it.  

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

If I'd had to write out qu'est-ce que c'est, I would have lost -- I had to look up how to spell it.  

I just copy/pasted from the archive.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2

I LOL at the fava beans clue; references to that Silence of the Lambs line never get old.

The telescope TS surprised me, as did neither of the others ringing in to pronounce qu'est-ce que c'est correctly (add me to the list who had to look up how to spell it).

I missed three in movies (I knew the Gene Wilder one was Willy Wonka, but I said "Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory" rather than the correct title, and two others I just plain didn't know), but other than that did well in the first round -- I only missed two clues in rest of the round.

I ran elections, got all but one in poems -- despite not knowing any of them, spotting the "M" meant I could figure them out easily enough -- and missed two in after dark, but otherwise DJ was not my round.  I feared I was going to blow Recent Pop Music entirely, and indeed I didn't know any of the songs, but I managed to get one correct response thanks to all the Oscars discussion letting me know about Everything Everywhere All at Once (which I plan to see once it's available for free on something I have, so don't have a cow if you loved it and can't believe someone hasn't seen it).  I missed three each in podcasts (I went into that category also thinking it might be a disaster, so that was something of a pleasant surprise) and scientific.

At least FJ was an instaget, so I ended on a high note.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just realized I never read Camus in English. It was always French. Is there a different way his name is pronounced in Anglicized form?

I’ve never heard it pronounced any other way than “cam-oo”, but I guess one difference might be in how the “oo” part is said. French speakers will make a very tight vowel sound, like a quick “ew”, while English speakers will sound more like a languid cow.

Count me among those who only know Camus from L’Etranger, and only in French. My first semester college assignment was to translate the book into English. What a slog.

My French language skills have been of little use over the years, but I do know how to say (and spell!) qu’est-ce que c’est! So, yay me? And unlike James Holzhauer, I will never complain about having too many French-based clues on Jeopardy.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Trey said:

Civet is what I answered for that clue

Me, too! I was so sure!!

7 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

while English speakers will sound more like a languid cow.

This makes me laugh! Every time I see a cow now, I will be thinking of this.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1

An okay game for me.  I got the ts's or missed DDs of qu’est-ce que c’est (which I copied and pasted from Browncoat), (Sam) McGee, and turbine.

An instaget FJ. Like @chicagofan I give partial credit to NCIS.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I never thought of oysters as a Hawaiian thing, but due to lack of knowledge, that was the only thing I could come up with.

Quoting myself after a night's sleep to say, D'oh!  What do you get from oysters?  Pearls...

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

while English speakers will sound more like a languid cow.

You made me laugh!

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

This makes me laugh! Every time I see a cow now, I will be thinking of this.

Or, when another Cam"ew" clue comes up.

Did okay. Was terrible at poetry (I loved poetry as a kid, then grew to hate it as it was taught to me in school). But I did know The Cremation of Sam Mcgee (a poem my father read to us often).

I would have had zip in podcasts, except they so generously included the only two podcasts I've listened to - WTF with Marc Maron, and Serial.

I would have run Great Brits, except for my continual confusion between Clara Barton and Florence Nightingale (at least that makes sense, unlike my Pollock and Calder confusion which is stupid because I absolutely know the difference between their art, but my mouth doesn't seem to).

I was totally sure I was wrong for FJ, since it was the only think I could think of as a monument that is related to water. But yay me!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just realized I never read Camus in English. It was always French. Is there a different way his name is pronounced in Anglicized form?

Not that I know of, but Alex used to really emphasize the pronunciation, to the amusement of commenters here.

Not a great game for me last night.  Did not get FJ.  Pearl Harbor did cross my mind, but somehow I discounted it because oysters aren't in Hawaii, I guess?  (Yeah, I know almost nothing about oysters.)

I ran Great Brits, "X" In The City, Y'know, The Movie Where and U.S. Presidential Elections.  (Yes, that's right, the person for whom politics and presidents are dreadful categories ran that one. 😲)  I got all but one clue in We're Full Of Questions.  My stumpers were qu'est-ce que c'est (and yes, I ended up with Psycho Killer in my head for the rest of the night), Bowen Yang and Nudie.  Sequined Nudie suits were de rigueur for country stars in the 60s and 70s.

16 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I came up with Boston Harbor and didn't think any further. 

I said the Chesapeake Bay because I know it has oysters.

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I feared I was going to blow Recent Pop Music entirely, and indeed I didn't know any of the songs, but I managed to get one correct response thanks to all the Oscars discussion letting me know about Everything Everywhere All at Once

I was just about the same, although I did know Harry's House because of all the ridiculous hoo-ha about Beyonce being robbed when Harry Styles won Album of the Year at the Grammys.  And I also did better in Podcasts than I expected, but that was mainly because newspaper + financial = Wall Street Journal and because Bowen Yang is the funniest current cast member on SNL.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

mainly because newspaper + financial = Wall Street Journal

Exactly how I got that one. I listen to a lot of podcasts but none of the ones in the category. I got Serial because the case was in the news in recent months, Welcome to Night Vale because a friend is a fan, and Bowen Yang because I've heard Las Culturistas referenced elsewhere (actually Matt Rogers was a panelist on Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! recently), I was fairly sure from the picture and then when I heard Saturday Night Live in the clue I knew for sure (even though I don't watch SNL). The only one I missed was Mark Maron.

• Like 1

The only one I missed was Mark Maron.

That was the only podcast I knew in the category.  (I also got the Wall Street Journal clue just because it was an easy guess that at only $400 the business newspaper being asked about was WSJ, but I'd never heard of the podcasts mentioned in that clue.)  I've only listened to it once, when he had Kathleen Madigan on, and that recently popped up again as a recommendation when I was watching another interview of hers on YouTube, so the title was fresh in my mind.  The other podcasts I'd never heard of.  (Same with Bowen Yang -- I'd never heard of him or seen him.  The guy reading that clue, Matt Rogers, wasn't a name that rang a bell, but I knew I'd seen him somewhere; it finally came to me that he'd been on Celebrity J!)

• Like 1

One of my better games - got 21 correct in both the J and DJ rounds so 70% overall. Didn't get FJ though - somehow have a mental block on that Billy Joel song.

In the J round I ran "Magazines" and got 4 right in "On a Visit to the State Capital" and "The World of Hanna-Barbera". Got 4 TSs - Phoenix (been to the Desert Botanical Garden and stayed near the Camelback Mountains), Look (I'm old), Snagglepuss (yes, I'm old) and Sally Field goal.

In DJ I didn't run anything but got 4 right in 4 categories - "International Movies?", "Flags of Spanish Speaking Nations", "History" and "Repeats Itself". TSs were Pillars of Hercules and Persian Empire (got there from Fars in the clue - Fars/Farsi/Iran/Persia).

And Ben, please lose the "raise the roof" intro and enough with the swaying.

• Like 4

Archive game for me since I'll be watching Top Chef tonight.  Unfortunately, I cannot blame any of my misses on not being able to see the pictures.

I only ran Before & Actor in the first round (fun category; my favorite was their TS, Sally Field goal).  I got all but one in everything other than The Arts, in which I missed two.  I wasn't much of a cartoon fan as a kid, so was leery of the Hanna-Barbera category, but cultural osmosis came through for me on everything other than the Snagglepuss TS (since "Not the Pink Panther, the other one" would not have counted).

I didn't get any better in DJ.  I ran organizations (thanks to the educated guess of Crohn being correct) and "U", but missed three each in flags and repeats, and two each in the rest.

FJ, however, was an instaget, so at least I again ended on a high note.

• Like 3

FJ was an instaguess.

I got the missed clues of phoenix and Sally Field goal.

For Snagglepuss, the closest I got was Scragglyfoot.  I feel like that character was a bit before my time, but I was kind of aware of him.  How can you have a Hanna-Barbera category with no Scooby-Doo?  Scandalous.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

May 18:

70% / 60% / 66%

Okay first round…didn't run anything but I missed one in Restaurants, Arts, Hanna-Barbera, and Before & Actor, two State Capitals, and three Magazines.

Less okay second round…missed one in Starts with U and Repeats Itself, two in Organizations and History, and three in International Movies and Flags of Spanish-Speaking Countries.

FJ was an instaguess, based on "that one's got a lotta words to fit music around…"

My TSes were frieze, Phoenix, and Sally Field Goal. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Instaget FJ, although I did question if it was that late, and if there was a song of his that I'd missed.  I hear that one on the classic rock station a lot.  I refuse to call it the oldies station!

I also got the TS of frieze, Phoenix, Look, Sally Field Goal, and Snagglepuss.  Mayim tried with her "exit" line, but it just didn't work.  Maybe if she had attempted the Snagglepuss accent or even said "Exit stage left", but nope.

• Like 4

I wasn't paying too close attention, but I had to look up images of Snagglepuss. We had a B&W TV back then; I had no idea he was pink.  I knew the correct response, regardless of color, but the pink thing boggled me.

I don't know much about sports, but even *I* got Sally Fieldgoal.

FJ was easy for me; I recall hearing it the first time driving to work from my condo - it had to be late 80s and what else could it be that the lyrics came first?

• Like 4