Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, SHD said:

I didn’t enjoy the mash-ups category. I thought they were all going to have a middle connection like the Snow White one. The rest were just two different answers pushed together. 

I did, too. I think that's why I missed a couple, because I was looking for connections instead of just thinking of what each part was referring to.

• Like 9

Since I'm off for Juneteenth, today kept feeling like a weekend day to me, and I remembered to tune in just in time.

The Palestine TS surprised me.  Same with Montana and no one guessing Sherman.  But with 19 of them, I guess nothing should surprise me.

I ran words and borders and got all but one in animals, TV, and flags (I should have run that one, but could not for the life of me pull Quechua from my brain to my mouth).  My "worst" category was eyes, in which I missed two, so I had a good first round.

In DJ, I was terrible in Shakespeare.  I'm hit and miss with that topic generally, and was all about the misses today -- I only got one.  Other than that, I did fine; the only category I ran was movies - and don't really know how - but I got all but one in idioms and weights & measures and missed two each in facts and generals.

FJ was an instaget.  I wouldn't say I know all things Dolly, but I know many, many things.  And reading about that was memorable, as I'm not used to applauding actions by Jeff Bezos.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I generally skip the interviews, and did tonight, so I just went and found it on the internet.  Wow, that was awful!  If nothing else, they should have stopped tape, and made him tell it again without "local lunatic".

• Like 2

Most head-scratching response of the night:  Who is Lee?

Sure MaryKate, Confederate General Robert E. Lee fired cannons at the State House of the Confederate State of South Carolina. 🤦‍♀️

I was shocked that Sherman was a TS.

• Like 7
  • Applause 6
(edited)

Shakespeare is not in my wheelhouse, yet I guessed and got Henry V and Lear. Go figure.

ETA: While Lee was definitely a goofy guess, it's not nearly as bad as the guy on Wheel who guessed "Belgium, Germany."  (It was Berlin.)

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5

Don't forget we had Jonathan's response of ghost in the 'F'ive Letter Words category, although I've made that kind of mistake when I've forgotten that there was some sort of hint in the category name.

• Like 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Where are they getting these contestants? They need to send talent scouts to recruit from this forum!

My theory from a few pages back is seemingly being reinforced —
that it's our (and other social media posters') fault for complaining so vociferously about the string of super champs who were cleaning the clocks of their opponents while clearing the boards nearly single handedly —
so TPTB probably lowered the threshold to be a contestant. 

Or maybe the shooting schedule has changed and they're playing Jeopardy! in the wee hours of the morning?

Having only had 4 hours of sleep myself in the previous 24 hours, I whiffed FJ, but the reveal of Dolly Parton was an "of course" moment.

But, even bleary-eyed, I managed to come up with the correct second half of the response of Scooby Doo in that horrible mash-up category for:

• An Alan Rickman "Die Hard" villain "wants those detonators" from a title Great Dane of 2002!

(after the contestant gave Hans Gruber). 
IDK, maybe after the other 2 contestants heard her identify the St. Bernard dog title-named Beethoven as being a Great Dane, they might have miss-heard Hans Gruber as Hans Brinker (with or without silver skates).
Or maybe they've never seen any Die Hard movies, which have been disturbingly on my mind since the announcement of Bruce Willis' dementia diagnosis, although apparently brain damage due to his insistence of doing his own stunts has not been blamed.

ETA:
Other than leading with "local lunatic," I liked Ben's pseudo super-hero story. 
I wonder if "local lunatic" a phrase used in that locale, or perhaps by his Mom? 
Regardless, now that the interwebs have exploded about Ben's using the term on Jeopardy!, I'm sure Ben will tell his story differently in the future.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

What about Napoleon as the winner of the Battle of Waterloo? 

For this threesome, it was an achievement just to remember that Napoleon was somehow involved.

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
6 hours ago, DrScottie said:

It’s like they’d never even heard the ABBA song!

• LOL 12
10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

No one so far has said they got the ts of King Lear.

Although I had a poor showing last night I did get that one. 
missed FJ too. My friend immediately texted me to let me know she did get it. I’m happy for her as she usually finds it difficult to beat me. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I know most contestants study obscure facts before their appearances on Jeopardy, but some of the things they should know were basic facts that I learned in all through my school years.  Sure, some of what is stuck in my brain I'll never use, and probably hated learning it when I was in school, but it's still there.  The younger contestants seem to be the ones who miss what I think are super simple clues.  Oh, and BTW, I absolutely hate the mash up categories.  Are these more common now?  I don't remember them as much in years past.  Is the clue crew running out of real fact based questions?    

• Like 8
8 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Don't forget we had Jonathan's response of ghost in the 'F'ive Letter Words category, although I've made that kind of mistake when I've forgotten that there was some sort of hint in the category name.

Not to mention that the actions described in the clue (It's a person with a habit of texting, "OMG! Sorry I can't make it! I forgot I have a thing. We should totally hang out soon though") is kind of the opposite of "ghosting" (I assume ghosting is no contact/response at all).

• Like 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, secnarf said:

My immediate response to FJ was Dolly Parton...then I paid more attention to the word "entertainer" and thought of Oprah...then decided she is too rich for someone to give her money to donate to buy cars for her audience ;) So luckily switched back to Dolly Parton in time.

I was uncertain about Dolly (mostly because of Bezos, it seems weird to give money for someone else to give away when you could just do it yourself), but I said it because...she gives from her heart. 

I don't know if she's Oprah level rich, but Dolly's pretty rich herself and has built an empire while continuing to be, to all appearances, a decent person.

11 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Well, you know, that's what came to my mind due to the strong Napoleon and Waterloo connection, despite the fact that I know that Napoleon lost (and rescinded my "guess" immediately). Sometimes my brain jumps to the wrong, and embarrassing answer, just because the connection stronger. So I try to not to judge (try being the operative word), given that I'd probably do a dumb thing like that in my haste to get the answer (and have definitely done on my couch).

Anyone get why the question "On Ark--on that of Arkansas" was phrased that way? We didn't get it.

Yeah, the story wasn't great. It seemed an odd story to use for Jeopardy, even if it had been rephrased.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5
(edited)

I always try to give the contestants the benefit of the doubt because you never know how people will react once the cameras start rolling. It’s easy to shout out answers from the comfort of your own couch but being up there on the stage- I can totally see blanking on clues you actually know.
That said, these games with so many TS  clues are not the most enjoyable to watch.

I did get FJ. I know Dolly does a lot of charitable work. I was not aware that Bezos has subsidized some of it though.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 9
31 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Anyone get why the question "On Ark--on that of Arkansas" was phrased that way? We didn't get it.

Because the alternative would be to choose between writing "Arkansas' border" and "Arkansas's border". It's not much of a joke and it does nothing to help anyone get the correct response -- all it does is draw attention to the writing and/or confuse people so it wasn't really worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 6

I’m glad to see others were bothered by the phrasing. While it’s not quite to the level of leaving a dog on top of a pyramid, it’s pretty close for me. I’m sure the situation was scary, but the state of mental health care access and treatment is horrendous in the United States, so making a joke of someone in crisis is distasteful and implies a lack of empathy. 

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
17 hours ago, DrScottie said:

They couldn't remember the Duke of Wellington if they wanted to. 

I didn't get that one but I did say, "well I know it's not Napoleon!"

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Not a great game today, but I've had worse - and not all that long ago.

In the J round I got 4 in "Let's Stick Together" and "American History". TSs/missed DDs were Sir Christopher Wren (DD), Jackie Robinson (really!) and promontory. Came close on 2 others but said world court instead of courthouse and food pantry instead of food bank. 😝

In DJ got 4 in "Chapter & Verse". Think I would have done better in "Just Say..." if they had gone in order so that I would have realized that all the responses were supposed to rhyme with "no". TSs were library paste, Falkland Islands and 101.

2 for 2 in FJ so far this week - yay me! Couldn't really think of anything but then I thought "o.k. the games were in Seoul, South Korea" which somehow reminded me that table tennis is big there. And then I thought that the size of the table might fit the clue. As for Janie's response I think that one sumo wrestler is bigger than that, much less two wrestling each other.

• Like 4

I said table tennis then thought maybe sumo or beach volleyball but decided to stick with my first answer.  Yay.

I got the missed clues of courthouse, food bank and Christoher Wren.

I had an OK first round, but totally tanked the second.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

June 20:

60% / 53% / 57%

All right, can we just skip to next week or something? This one sucks. Missed one in American History and Triple "A"-Rated Food, two in Let's Stick Together and Vowel, Vowel, Consonant, Consonant, and three in Architects and Nonprofits. In DJ I ran Chapter & Verse, missed two each in Let's Stick Together, Love Island U.K., and Just Say..., three in That Musical Act is Unreal!, and totally failed Math (not surprised by that, although I might have gotten 'twenty' if I had a few more seconds to process).

But I got FJ, another asterisk!

My TSes were courthouse, food bank, ciabatta, Promontory Point (though only after he got it wrong), I was so close on birds but I said feathers, and Pitcairn (DD), and table tennis (FJ). I would have gotten Po if I had figured out the theme of the category sooner (Just Say...[responses rhymed with No]).

Can I blame this terrible game on Tym putting me to sleep?
Tonight I learned that Australia is an island in the South Atlantic.

19 TSes tonight... seven in J! and eight in DJ, plus all three DDs and FJ.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
Just now, dgpolo said:

That's two contestants in the past week or so that tried to answer without waiting for Mayim to acknowledge them as the person to ring in first.

And Tym did it more than once. One of the things that bugged me about him besides the spelling of his first name.

• Like 13
  • LOL 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I said ping-pong for FJ and am marking it correct.

I did, too. Table tennis and Ping Pong are the same thing.
Ping Pong is actually a trademark.

The name "ping-pong" was in wide use before British manufacturer J. Jaques & Son Ltd trademarked it in 1901. The name "ping-pong" then came to describe the game played using the rather expensive Jaques's equipment, with other manufacturers calling it table tennis. A similar situation arose in the United States, where Jaques sold the rights to the "ping-pong" name to Parker Brothers. Parker Brothers then enforced its trademark for the term in the 1920s, making the various associations change their names to "table tennis" instead of the more common, but trademarked, term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_tennis#History

Edited by ams1001
fixed quote
  • Like 4

Goodness, I dont think I've seen anyone recently who was more 'in the hole" than Tym!   Some really strange answers tonight & Ben is not winning "the Big Bucks".  And nobody tonight seemed to have a sense of humor,  Maya did have several funny quips & they all remained stone-faced.

• Like 8
33 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I think some of Tym's brain cells died on Mt Everest. 

18 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

That's two contestants in the past week or so that tried to answer without waiting for Mayim to acknowledge them as the person to ring in first.

15 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

And Tym did it more than once. One of the things that bugged me about him besides the spelling of his first name.

I cackled when Tym found himself at negative 5,000.  I was primed to dislike him when he chose to describe himself as an "angel investor" and works in crypto.  I was not surprised that he was answering before Mayim called his name, he seems the type to do whatever he wants.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I think some of Tym's brain cells died on Mt Everest. 

Poor Tym — terrible showing and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a more blah contestant on Jeopardy.  

I, too, said Ping Pong in FJ and am marking it correct 😊

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 4
(edited)

30 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I cackled when Tym found himself at negative 5,000.  I was primed to dislike him when he chose to describe himself as an "angel investor" and works in crypto.  I was not surprised that he was answering before Mayim called his name, he seems the type to do whatever he wants.  

I had to look up "angel investor"...it sounds like something that would be involved in charitable endeavors, but no..

20 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Can I just say, everything’s legal in New Jersey. 

Then why is the county jail in my town? 🙃

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Sorry, that was a Hamilton reference. 

I know; I was kidding. I live in NJ. Never been in a duel, though.

(And the county jail is here because it's the county seat.) 

Dammit! I just saw an ad for Daisy Jones & the Six. I couldn't have gotten that before I watched tonight's show?! (I knew what show that clue was about but I couldn't come up with it in time.)

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I decided with only 45 sq ft, the playing field must be long & skinny, so I said, "Curling!" with an amazing amount of confidence.  I'll go lick my wounds now...

I surprised myself and even decided that the object in question was probably 9x5 feet. I too said ping pong and am marking it correct.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

My TSes were courthouse,

That was a clue where I didn't know what to say because I assumed they wanted something specific instead of generic.

38 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Dammit! I just saw an ad for Daisy Jones & the Six. I couldn't have gotten that before I watched tonight's show?! (I knew what show that clue was about but I couldn't come up with it in time.)

I had to see those ads about 40 times before I realized that the point was the man's wife or similar was a different person from the lead singer and that was causing a lot of drama. 

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I cackled when Tym found himself at negative 5,000.

I try very hard to be charitable about contestants and their foibles and weaknesses, but I cheered aloud at several points when Tym lost money (especially saying 100 instead of 101) because his introduction, anecdote, and responding not once but twice without waiting for Mayim to call on him had alienated me so badly. I was cheering for Janie but my loyalty wavered when she didn't get Wren and guessed Australia for the Falklands clue. 

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

That was a clue where I didn't know what to say because I assumed they wanted something specific instead of generic.

I did, too, but then I made a generic guess based on "justice" in the clue at the last second. At first I thought it might be some famous building I'd never heard of. There was very much a question mark at the end of my guess.

27 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I had to see those ads about 40 times before I realized that the point was the man's wife or similar was a different person from the lead singer and that was causing a lot of drama. 

I don't really know anything about the show; I remember seeing her doing the rounds of late night shows a while back.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I decided with only 45 sq ft, the playing field must be long & skinny, so I said, "Curling!" with an amazing amount of confidence.  I'll go lick my wounds now...

I first said curling, because I love curling, but then I thought about the 45 sq ft part, and changed to ping pong.  Like all the rest of you, I'm counting it as correct.  Two asterisks in a row!  Woo hoo!

I also got the TS of courthouse, ciabatta, Jackie Robinson, food bank, birds, Christopher Wren (I'd have to give my Bachelor's degree back if I missed that!), library paste, Pitcairn, and Falklands.

Tym reminded me a bit of Ted Allen -- only in appearance, though.  Ted's demeanor is much better.  Janie reminded me of someone too.  I think it was Tina Yothers from Family Ties, but I'm not sure.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My theory from a few pages back is seemingly being reinforced —
that it's our (and other social media posters') fault for complaining so vociferously about the string of super champs who were cleaning the clocks of their opponents while clearing the boards nearly single handedly —
so TPTB probably lowered the threshold to be a contestant. 

Or maybe the shooting schedule has changed and they're playing Jeopardy! in the wee hours of the morning?

Having only had 4 hours of sleep myself in the previous 24 hours, I whiffed FJ, but the reveal of Dolly Parton was an "of course" moment.

But, even bleary-eyed, I managed to come up with the correct second half of the response of Scooby Doo in that horrible mash-up category for:

• An Alan Rickman "Die Hard" villain "wants those detonators" from a title Great Dane of 2002!

(after the contestant gave Hans Gruber). 
IDK, maybe after the other 2 contestants heard her identify the St. Bernard dog title-named Beethoven as being a Great Dane, they might have miss-heard Hans Gruber as Hans Brinker (with or without silver skates).
Or maybe they've never seen any Die Hard movies, which have been disturbingly on my mind since the announcement of Bruce Willis' dementia diagnosis, although apparently brain damage due to his insistence of doing his own stunts has not been blamed.

ETA:
Other than leading with "local lunatic," I liked Ben's pseudo super-hero story. 
I wonder if "local lunatic" a phrase used in that locale, or perhaps by his Mom? 
Regardless, now that the interwebs have exploded about Ben's using the term on Jeopardy!, I'm sure Ben will tell his story differently in the future.

For sure.  “So tell me, Ben, have you ever been in a situation where you had to use your martial arts expertise?”.  “Once” will be his answer moving forward.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

The J! curse strikes again, with Tina Turner (she died about six weeks after this was filmed).

Again with all the non-answers -- 15 TS this time, plus 3 missed DDs and a double stumper FJ.  Good grief.

I almost ran the entire first round, but I missed one in architects (Wren, which was probably a fairly easy clue for a DD, but I'm not very good with architects) and together -- I had no idea there was an Equalizer film series with Denzel Washington; the only Equalizers I've heard of are the British guy and Queen Latifah, so I had a big fat nothing for that $200 clue.

I did well in DJ, too; I ran chapter & verse (thanks to several lucky guesses), sticky, and musical acts and missed two each in the rest.  If they'd chosen the Io clue later in the Just Say... category, when I'd realized the answers all consisted of []o, I'd have correctly guessed that one.  Alas, they went to it second.

Assuming they'd take ping pong, I got FJ.  I didn't think that was right, as I thought it had been an event well before that, but couldn't come up with anything else so stuck with it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Tym kind of seemed like an AI robot designed as a contestant for the show that needed some tweaks. 

I can forgive a lot of seemingly nonsensical answers but can’t forgive someone answering “The Replacements” when the question is about a fictional Irish band. LOL 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That’s what I said too. But Google says…

>>>The playing surface or curling sheet is a rectangular area of ice, carefully prepared to be as flat and level as possible, 146 to 150 feet in length by 14.2 to 15.7 feet in width.<<<

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

the only Equalizers I've heard of are the British guy

That reminds me of something Stephen Fry asked on QI years ago... Why does Edward Woodward have 4 D's in his name?  And the answer was, "Without them, he'd be EwarWooWar."  I'm not sure why that struck me so funny, but I literally laugh out loud every time - even now, I'm having a coughing fit from laughing.  And I still don't know why.  It's funny, but not THAT funny, is it?

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was sitting in my apartment saying: "the one with the stone! and the broom! and and and what is that one called???" so... I took that flame out to another level.

I was rooting for Janey. She was quick, and she did seem to have some humor about the situation. Also, I am ready for a new champ.

47 minutes ago, opus said:

>>>The playing surface or curling sheet is a rectangular area of ice, carefully prepared to be as flat and level as possible, 146 to 150 feet in length by 14.2 to 15.7 feet in width.<<<

I've watched curling, so I should have realized it was a way bigger area than than clue's limits, but this week I think any bad answer gets past my filter given the run of actual contestants who've flamed out. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 6/19/2023 at 8:55 PM, SHD said:

I didn’t enjoy the mash-ups category. I thought they were all going to have a middle connection like the Snow White one. The rest were just two different answers pushed together. 

I hated that category. Snow White and the Seven Samurai was clever, and I was expecting more of that. But time ran out before I could figure out anything to link Ron Burgundy and the Temple of Doom, and literally all I needed was the word “and”? OK, then. “Rocky and Bullwinkle” was fine, but it was a different kind of link than Snow White and the Samurai. Very inconsistent, very annoying category.

Monday’s FJ was my least favorite kind. Unless you saw the news story (I didn’t), there was no real way to figure it out. I like the ones with a backdoor clue, so even if you don’t know the answer, you can make a reasonable guess. I threw a dart and hit Lady Gaga, just like Ben, and for probably the same reason: none. (That was after my joke answer of Sia. Who knows, Bezos could also be a Survivor fan!)

25 minutes ago, SHD said:

Tym kind of seemed like an AI robot designed as a contestant for the show that needed some tweaks. 

I can forgive a lot of seemingly nonsensical answers but can’t forgive someone answering “The Replacements” when the question is about a fictional Irish band. LOL 

Or “Spinal Tap” for that same Irish band.

I’m not going to defend Tym, but he seemed rattled from the start. He kept jumping in before being called, and when he started to dig a hole, visible panic set in. By the time he was -$5k, he looked like he wanted to vomit. I almost felt bad for him, but then I caught another look at the spelling of his name. Whatever, Tymbo.

I didn’t know Ping Ping was an Olympic sport. 

• Like 10