Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I guessed FJ right.

I got the missed clues of 1849, Cerebrum plum, and triangulate.

I got the entire categories of cat and mountains right and I was ever so close on years, missing only one clue by 1 year.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

May 30:

77% / 60% / 67%

Pretty decent first round…ran Authors' First novels, missed one each in Fruity Rhyme Time (I was semi-distracted when they picked the first one and did not get my brain in gear in time), "M.C", and Hammer, and two in The Year that Was and Band's Songs (should have gotten Rage Against the Machine but I blanked).

Not so great in DJ…missed one in Cat Breeds and Middle G, two in Mountains and Disney Endings, and three in Czech and Scientists.

Did not get FJ, nor did I get any DDs. I did get the TS of The Eagles, 1849, cerebrum plum, and Vulgate Bible.

• Like 3

An okay game for me.  I got only two ts's: 1849 and triangulate.

I got FJ pretty quickly since I recognized the lakes (particularly Windermere) as being in the Lake District of England. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Trey said:

I got FJ pretty quickly since I recognized the lakes (particularly Windermere) as being in the Lake District of England. 

I knew they were 'the lakes' but I had no idea there was a The Lakes Literary group.

• Like 4

"Cerebrum plum" does not rhyme.

Credit my English double-major in undergraduate, I got "Lake poets", though I didn't remember precisely who they were.

• Like 6

I like Ilhana. I'm glad she's the new champ.

I pre-guessed Algonquin Roundtable for FJ, because I couldn't think of any other Literary Groups, but knew it wasn't a correct answer as they were obviously looking for a British grouping. 

Mayim was particularly awful this evening. The pauses get worse and worse, especially on the Daily Doubles. Speaking of the DDs, she's still not leading into them properly. In the first round, she said to Diandra, "You have $400. How much would you like to wager?" This far into her tenure, it should be second nature for her to say, "You can wager up to $1,000" but as often happens, she did not. Diandra then said, "Let's make it a true Daily Double." Might she have made the higher wager, had she been reminded? We'll never know. Also, uncomfortable interviews and the return of a bit of Bialik condescension on the Eagles' TS. 

I miss Ken!!!

How long is her contract?

• Like 12
  • Fire 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Mayim's response sheet says "Yucatan peninsula" - even though peninsula isn't necessary since it's in the clue. She's not sure if she should accept just "Yucatan" so is waiting for the voice in her ear to confirm that it's acceptable. The judges don't respond since "Yucatan" is correct. When Mayim doesn't rule the answer correct - the long pause - either the judges give her a ruling or she realizes that just "Yucatan" is acceptable and finally gives the go ahead. Meanwhile Travis doesn't know if his response is wrong, incomplete or if Mayim is in a trance so he starts adding to his response.

I haven't noticed other contestants thinking they need to fill the gap so I have wondered whether the contestants can usually see that Mayim is looking at her script or looking over to the judges' light so it doesn't feel as long to them as it does to the viewer at home. But in terms of whether the script is ambiguous, I don't see any reason why the writers can't structure the script so that it is easy to see which part of the response is required and which is optional. For example:

Clue: This 76,000-square-mile peninsula juts up into the Gulf's south end.

Response: Yucatan [Peninsula]

The writers must know what they intended so it doesn't make sense to require the host and the judges to reinterpret everything -- it should go smoothly unless a contestant comes up with an alternate response that isn't ruled out by the category or the phrasing.

Based on today's FJ category I pre-guessed the Algonquin Round Table or the Inklings and couldn't come up with the correct response.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
FJ
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I never heard of the Lake Group. I said Bloomsbury, almost certain it would be wrong.

New champ kinda looks angry. Maybe it's because she sort of reminds me of a neighbor who IS angry, all the time.

I know what you mean, but I think she’s just really concentrating when she’s playing the game. She was all smiles at the end. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

The Eagles TS was a bummer.

Diandra sounding like Alex when she gave the André-Marie Ampère response was fun.

I can't believe no one figured out triangulate with triangulation already out there (Nathan didn't even figure out what he'd done wrong until Mayim gave the correct response).

I ran rhyme time, hammer, and M.C. and got all but one in bands, but missed two each in years and novels so it wasn't a bad first round, but definitely not my best.

In DJ, I only scientists and cats (which would sound like a sure thing for the goddess of cats, but I don't pay attention to breeds, so I wasn't entirely confident going in), but got all but one in mountains and G.  I missed three each in Czech (it should have been two, but I said 40 years instead of 30 for the war, even though I know better) and Disney (thank heavens for cultural osmosis, or it would have been five).

I got FJ only because I've been to the Lake District; I'd never heard of "The Lake Poets" (some of them individually, of course, I mean heard of them referred to as a group that way) until then.

• Like 4
(edited)

They never had to format the script any special way for anybody else, so that's probably why they didn't think of doing it for her. But this far into her hosting, it just makes it look like neither she nor they give a damn.

Edited by possibilities
fix typos. my keyboard is dying.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 2

I completely forgot there was a game yesterday (holiday weekends always throw my days off) so I watched both episodes back to back. Yesterday’s FJ was so easy it wasn’t even fun to figure out (“hmmm… a soldier who was unidentified was removed from a memorial once his name was known… whatever could it beee?”) but I had no idea for today’s. Clearly it wasn’t the Algonquin Round Table because that’s named for one place, not three, but I guess they felt compelled to put something down. I wonder what I’d do in that situation— write down something I knew was wrong just in case my brain was tricking me, or go for a personal shout out? Probably the former, although these days I’d be sorely tempted to write “Who needs to stop giggling!”

Yesterday or today, there was a DD reveal that did not prompt a giggle, and it was such a departure that I actually perked up and smiled. I thought, maybe she’s letting that go! Then the contestant answered, Mayim responded “th-ha-ha-at’s ri-ha-ha-hight!”, and I buried my face in the sofa cushion.

13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Having looked at the archive, I can say I would've gotten FJ correct.  I would also have gotten Frankenstein; my brother was a big fan of Edgar and Johnny Winter.

Years ago, I went to an Edgar Winter Group/ Rick Derringer concert at a small club with a boyfriend, who was a big fan of both. After, he dragged me around back so we could basically accost the musicians as they exited and do the whole fan chat thing. Edgar Winter was extremely nice and friendly, and seemed happy to talk to us. Derringer, conversely, was a bit of a dick, but maybe he was just hungry?

I was really surprised no one knew the Eagles. As I commented at the time, has it been that long?

• Like 6

I did not get FJ for Tuesday’s game.  I also got Algonquin stuck in my head, and didn’t know about a Lakes group.  

But I did get the TS of Eagles, Great Mouse Detective, and triangulate.  Very sad that the Eagles was a TS.

• Like 4

I think I got FJ mostly because there were multiple names I should have recognized because I read a Lake District mystery series (but didn't), and I had a vague recollection from my college poetry class (hated the professor, hated the class) that there was a poets group named for lakes. Somehow it all came together in a near instaget against all odds.

It was an okay game, but getting a triple stumper FJ was the highlight.

10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I may suck at geography but at least I know Peru is not in North America!! 🤣

My husband, who's good at geography, also named something in South American - he'd just had a brain fart on the couch, much less embarrassing than at the podium.

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My "Eagles Greatest Hits" album is almost 50 years old.

Well, that makes me feel old. Then again, I am. So it's all good.

• Like 5
  • Wink 2
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No classic simpsons fans. The vulgate of st jerome!

I like that episode a lot but had no recollection of this. Thanks for mentioning it.

fzfio8g4htp31.png

• Like 2

Last night was an okay, not great, game for me.  FJ was an instaget as I've been in the Lake District and have had English Lit classes which covered the Lake Poets extensively.  I was surprised that none of the contestants got it, especially since Windermere and Grasmere are pretty well known.

I ran First Novels, The Year That Was and Cat Breeds.  Got all but one in Band's Songs (I know OF Rage Against the Machine but not the names of any of their songs), Fruity Rhyme Time, "M.C.", Czech It Out and Scientists.  My stumpers were 1849, the Eagles and cerebrum plum.  Should've gotten Moravia but could not think of it in time.

17 hours ago, chicagofan said:

did get 'triangulate' after the incorrect response of 'triangulation'

Me, too.

16 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I knew they were 'the lakes' but I had no idea there was a The Lakes Literary group.

The Lake poets were a major group of English poets during the Romantic period in the early 19th century.  Again, I credit multiple English Lit courses in college for that knowledge.

16 hours ago, SeanC said:

"Cerebrum plum" does not rhyme.

I guess they were counting "um" and "um" as rhyming, but yeah, it was quite the stretch.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I may suck at geography but at least I know Peru is not in North America!! 🤣

I said Colombia.  In my defense, I missed that the clue specified North America. 🥴

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Years ago, I went to an Edgar Winter Group/ Rick Derringer concert at a small club with a boyfriend, who was a big fan of both. After, he dragged me around back so we could basically accost the musicians as they exited and do the whole fan chat thing. Edgar Winter was extremely nice and friendly, and seemed happy to talk to us. Derringer, conversely, was a bit of a dick, but maybe he was just hungry?

The summer before covid, my brother and I went to see Deep Purple, Edgar Winter and Alice Cooper at a show in Philly.  Those guys are all old now, but damned if they still didn't put on quite the show.  Glad to know that Edgar Winter is nice.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, dcalley said:

I like that episode a lot but had no recollection of this. Thanks for mentioning it.

fzfio8g4htp31.png

Rod and Tod argue over which edition to use for Bible trivia.  One of them wants the vulgate.  Only reason I know it

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Best game so far this week. Glad that Kyle didn't win because I thought there were a couple of questionable rulings in his favor. First was 'intranet' - I may have misheard but I thought Kyle said 'internet' and then Mayim said "Yes, intranet". I kept expecting a scoring change, but no. Second was the 'William Henry Harrison' response. 'Harrison' should have at least been a BMS - after all his grandson Benjamin was also president. Then Kyle started to add to his response but as far as I heard he never said William but started Henry.  If that's the case the response should have been ruled incorrect. Glad that they did do a BMS for Adams.

As for me, J round was a bit better than DJ. Ran "Andrew Lloyd Webber" (I've seen all of the shows in the category except for the new one) and got 4 in "Countries in Short". Got 4 TSs - the beach, Andorra, cetaceans and Toyota Camry. In DJ only got 4 in "Famous Siblings" and only 1 TS - Slaughterhouse 5. Sad that there were 9 TSs/missed DDs in each round.

FJ was an instaget for me. For some reason I immediately remembered that Geena Davis was a close to Olympic caliber archer. The rest of the clue backed that up for me as I thought of Hunger Games. Good that I didn't think of 'A League of Their Own' so that I didn't think of changing my response. Guess Ilhana didn't think that a sports (or maybe a movie) category was a strong one for her since she bet $0.

Dingo!!!

• Like 8

I didn't get FJ.

I got the  missed clues of beach, Andorra, something I can't read that looks like peg city, primate, cetaceans, 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Slaughterhouse 5 and plexiglas.

I got the entire categories of countries and order right.

Not sure why Adams needed a BMS and Harrison didn't.  Consistency would be nice. Also, did she accept internet for intranet with no correction later

• Like 7

See, Mayim! That's why you need a BMS! He didn't know which Adams it was! As to the non-BMS Harrison, I think because he started saying "Henry", they gave it to him (if he knew "Henry", he probably knew which Harrison. I, personally, wouldn't have given to him based on that, since it's his middle name, not his first). I, too, heard "internet" not "intranet", but maybe they thought he had some sort of accent and he was really saying "intra" and just sounded like "inter"?

• Like 8

May 31:

73% / 67% / 70%

Surprisingly decent game considering I was a bit frazzled. Got home a few minutes into the game (they were all in the red when I turned on the TV) and had to put groceries away (then go back down to the car to retrieve the two pints of ice cream that fell out of the bag on my way home), and played most of the first round via the archive.

Ran The Natural Order and Andrew Lloyd Weber (I was assuming the Cats song in question was Memory, so I gave myself the point, then I just went to youtube to see if I was right), missed one in Countries in Short and 8-Letter Words, and three in Around the USA and Cars.

In DJ I missed one each in Famous Siblings, Barriers & Dividers, and "V"erbs (could not pull venerate out of my brain), two in Numerical Literature and Landmarks of Great Britain, and three Presidents.

I got FJ; of course my first thought was baseball when I heard Geena Davis (I wasn't looking at the screen while she read it), but then realized the year was wrong for A League of Their Own; did not think of the right movie but I know Geena Davis does archery so I went with that)

Did I count right? There were 18 missed clues?! Eight plus the DD in the first round, and nine in the second. I got nine of them -  beach, collapse, penguins, primate, and cetaceans in J!; and Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Brett Easton Ellis, Sir Walter Scott, and plexiglass in DJ.

Adams gets a BMS but not Harrison? WTF? Can we at least be consistent within one game? 🙄

• Like 7

If they were going require greater specificity on “Adams”, they shouldn’t have accepted “Harrison” as a one-word answer in the same category.

I got Final after thinking about it for a moment — it doesn’t seem like any of the contestants approached the question from the perspective of trying to narrow down blockbuster films of that year, though.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I got Final after thinking about it for a moment — it doesn’t seem like any of the contestants approached the question from the perspective of trying to narrow down blockbuster films of that year, though.

I tried, but since school and my first couple of jobs, I don't have a way to time reference when movies come out.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

FJ was an instaget for me. For some reason I immediately remembered that Geena Davis was a close to Olympic caliber archer.

Same here! Here's the Wikipedia section on that for anyone who wants a little more info.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So many unanswered questions or just wrong answers tonight. I got a few TSs. Camry, carbon, 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse, and plexiglass. No FJ. So basically these past two nights have been duds for me. 
   I wonder if Mayim now thinks she shouldn’t have taken this job. She’s on and off. There is no consistency to her hosting. I agree with all of the previous posters about the BMS and missing wrong enunciations. 

• Like 8

My first thought was baseball for tonight’s FJ also, but I knew the year was wrong and A League of their Own wasn’t a franchise film. I thought of karate because of the Karate Kid films, thinking that there had been one where the Kid was a girl. There was—but it came out in 1994, ironically the same year as A League. Hilary Swank was the girl Kid.

The champ reminds me of Angie Harmon.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I wonder if Mayim now thinks she shouldn’t have taken this job. She’s on and off. There is no consistency to her hosting. I agree with all of the previous posters about the BMS and missing wrong enunciations. 

I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I share some of the quibbles about Mayim’s hosting (mainly the pauses) but she is the host, not the judge. If she rules incorrectly, it would be reviewed and adjusted. 

And for what it’s worth, the cc’s said “intranet”. I think that one was arguably correct. Or acceptable, at least. 

• Like 7

For FJ, as soon as I saw Geena Davis' name, I said archery as I was aware of her personal history in that sport. My mind went to the movie "Brave" although I wondered if I had the correct sport as it didn't seem to fit the bill unless "Pixar films" can be considered a franchise! I stuck with my answer (Yay!) but I never made the connection to "The Hunger Games." I've never seen any of those films.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Instaget FJ for me for Wednesday’s game.  I knew the franchise and that Geena is an archer.

Wow, there were a lot of TS!  I got the beach, collapse, primate, cetaceans, limestone, carbon, Sir Walter Scott, plexiglass, ha-ha, and vet.  Many years ago, I read a book called “The Ha-ha”, and I remember looking up the definition at the time.  I don’t remember much else about that book, though.  I suspect I would have gotten more of the TS if I could have heard or seen some of the clues.  Archive game for me, and from what y’all are saying, I think I’m okay with that!

• Like 3

I hope Ilhana sticks around; I really dig her.

The collapse TS made me sad -- everyone needs to know about the bee crisis!

I'm a little surprised no one figured out Camry from kanmuri.  The plexiglass and vet TS also surprised me a bit, and Slaughterhouse-Five would have if they hadn't already been so bad in the Numerical Literature category. 

I was a bit off my game in the first round; I ran words and cars and got all but one in USA and Andrew Lloyd Webber (good gods, those clips went on too long), but missed three in orders and two in countries.

In DJ, I only ran siblings.  I should have run verbs, too, but could not pull venerate out of my brain in time.  I also got all but one in British landmarks and barriers.  I missed two each in the rest.

I had high hopes for FJ based on the category, but wound up having no idea as I was trying to think of a film franchise about women's sports and came up blank (there are too few individual films about women's sports, never mind a franchise).  Hunger Games would have never, ever occurred to me in thinking about sports (I've never seen the films [or read the books], although once the response was revealed, I did flash back to those endless commercials featuring a woman pointing a bow and arrow). 

And I am so used to reading reports from that institute, I completely failed to register them specifying a Geena Davis Institute (on Gender in Media) study, rather than just saying "a study", was another hint.  I know she's an archer, so I should have got to it that way, but it's like I forgot I was playing J! (where every aspect of the clue is meaningful) and it just went in one ear and out the other because I see that name so frequently in connection with studies.

(BTW, it is a fantastic organization that has done a lot of very necessary work, which has led to concrete changes in many TV/film projects.  Davis is to be commended for channeling the frustration she felt when she had kids and realized how androcentric and littered with sexist stereotypes the programming made for them was into such an endeavor.)

• Like 11
(edited)

I was so sure the FJ answer was car racing due to the Fast & Furious franchise.😅 I was just trying to think of franchise films that were somehow sports related!

And awww, awkward time to promote Bad Cinderella since it closes on Sunday. 🫣

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, chicagofan said:

First was 'intranet' - I may have misheard but I thought Kyle said 'internet' and then Mayim said "Yes, intranet".

You definitely misheard. He clearly said "intranet".

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, chicagofan said:

and then Mayim said "Yes, intranet".

I imagine Ken would have said something like: "Or LAN, Local Area Network"
and that Mayim's card said something about a LAN or intranet.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I imagine Ken would have said something like: "Or LAN, Local Area Network"
and that Mayim's card said something about a LAN or intranet.

Well, it had to be intranet because the category was 8-letter words.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

Kyle definitely said “intranet”. I was listening closely because I thought someone might screw it up.

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

I think because he started saying "Henry", they gave it to him (if he knew "Henry", he probably knew which Harrison.

That is what I thought. His response went something like “Hen- Harrison”, which made me think he was about to say “Henry Harrison” but then realized it wasn’t a hyphenated last name. Or because he realized Henry isn’t the first name, but the middle. But either way, while we can make assumptions, the judges shouldn’t. A BMS was definitely called for.

When I saw FJ, “Geena Davis” + “sports” meant it had to be either softball or archery. I puzzled over it because while I know A  League of Their Own is not a franchise film, I could not think of any film, franchise or not, that involved archery. But I went with archery by default and just before the answer was revealed, got a brain flash of the movie poster and shouted “Hunger Games!” Katniss for the win.

59 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The collapse TS made me sad -- everyone needs to know about the bee crisis!

It doesn’t mean that they don’t know about the crisis, necessarily, but maybe just couldn’t come up with the specific word for the breakdown. That was the case for me.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Many years ago, I read a book called “The Ha-ha”, and I remember looking up the definition at the time.  I don’t remember much else about that book, though.

I read that book, too! And I also don’t remember anything about it, other than I liked it. 

So many DDs, and some strange wrong answers. A possum is an order of mammals??

When the Cats clue came up, did anyone else start singing “Midnight… and the kitties are sleeping…” ?

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

My first thought was baseball for tonight’s FJ also, but I knew the year was wrong and A League of their Own wasn’t a franchise film. I thought of karate because of the Karate Kid films

I thought of figure skating for I, Tonya. Pleasantly surprised when I looked it up that it was released in the same year as Hunger Games. Oh well. 

• Like 1

I was on Team Mayim during the hosting try-outs. Regretfully I feel she has not filled the role to her potential. Though I am pleased that the condescending “Come on you guys!” are mostly gone, the long pauses are infuriating 😡 and the BMS are lacking. 

Yes, I also heard internet, not intranet. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

It doesn’t mean that they don’t know about the crisis, necessarily, but maybe just couldn’t come up with the specific word for the breakdown. That was the case for me.

For any given contestant (or viewer), of course, which is why I almost always refrain from expressing surprise about a missed DD -- since everyone has knowledge gaps and brain farts - and usually only comment on TS, where I'd have predicted at least one would have come up with it.  This is one where I'd have hoped at least one was invested enough to know the term.

• Like 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

surprised no one figured out Camry from kanmuri. 

I knew Camry from 15 years of collecting monthly vehicle sales data. In all that time, I think the Camry wasn't the best selling car (trucks are counted separately) maybe 3 months.

I screamed BE MORE SPECIFIC at the Harrison clue.  That was just wrong 

I didn't think of Hunger Games at all; got archery from Geena Davis and thought it might have been Wonder Woman or some other comics franchise 

Edited by bad things are bad
Add thoughts
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I ignored the part of the clue mentioning a movie franchise, since I don't care about them & know very little. I just knew Ms. Davis is an archer, so I went with archery.

Moi aussi (said in Alex Trebek’s voice).  Except I don’t know what a film franchise is.  I knew 2012 was waaaay too late for ALoTO, then remembered Geneva Davis is an archer. I would never have connected with The Hunger Games, having exactly zero interest in fantasy/ whatever.

Just now, PaulaO said:

Moi aussi (said in Alex Trebek’s voice).  Except I don’t know what a film franchise is.  I knew 2012 was waaaay too late for ALoTO, then remembered Geena Davis is an archer. I would never have connected with The Hunger Games, having exactly zero interest in fantasy/ whatever.

I had no idea Hunger Games came out that long ago. Somehow it feels very recent, to me. I thought of Bend it Like Beckham (soccer) but was pretty sure it would be wrong.

I was right with you on Colony Collapse, Bastet.

That is a mind-blowing statistic on the Camry! I still miss the Corolla we had in the 1980s, and also the Tercel we had after that.

• Like 2