Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Katoby

• Start Topic

I am so sick of the BIG 3...whatever generation.

Make your kids feel special in their own right...and not as a unit. Most will feel siblings feelings anyway. 

They, without their own real friends for the most part, are not better for being a unit.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Or she might be living her best life and live to see 80.   

There aren’t many elderly obese people in nursing homes.

It struck me that Kate kept ragging on Toby for putting his SF job ahead the family, for taking phone calls or whatever distraction taking him away from her and the kids. But then she lets her job distraction take her away from counselling, and it sounds like it wasn’t the first time (Toby said something about being late again). Then there’s the whole “she won’t budge on moving to SF for Toby’s job, but when he makes a huge career sacrifice for her, she just shrugs” issue.

It’s interesting that although the show gives us these negative Kate moments, I really don’t think the showrunners actually want us to think negatively about Kate. As if they want us to think these double standards are okay because she’s a Pearson, a Big Three.

I’m glad that Toby finds a nice woman to spend his life with. I’m still wondering about Kevin’s happily ever after, and I really want to see the Rebecca and Miguel story.

• Love 20
12 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

So far we’ve called him Elliot and Ethan.  I vote Eddie next.

It would be hilarious if he had a different name in each Pearson's POV. Like, everyone knows that he's Madison's new husband/baby daddy, but he's not significant enough - except to Kevin - to remember his correct name.

• LOL 11

Remember when they first introduced the Philip character and he was like breaking up with a supermodel type for being boring.  lmao.    Kate is a sad sack, a sanctimonious killjoy, part of a family who is super in to waxing nostalgic and explaining why this one day at the pool / ice cream parlor/ zoo is a real defining moment and an explanation for why they did x, y or z before they start crying.    This is what he finds interesting?

Toby did nothing wrong, it is honestly so ridiculous that they are painting him as the bad guy.  Kate is one of those women who wants her partner to bring in the money so she can be there for the kids, then bitch about how he's not there and she has to do everything.   

Why does the kid who plays Jack during the proposal era not look anything like younger Jack and grown up Jack?   

• Love 22

Whatever the last name ends up being, do we think Kate will keep Damon as her last name for Jack and Hailey's sake? 

I don't think Kate was ever Kate Damon. She appears to have kept her maiden name. When she signed the police report when Rebecca had an episode and ended up lost from the cabin, she signed the report "Kate Pearson".  Jack's name is Jack Pearson Damon.

It's possible she won't take Phillip's last name either. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Shermie said:

There aren’t many elderly obese people in nursing homes.

1) You haven't been to the same nursing homes I've been to.  
2) I'm not sure a nursing home is my ultimate goal.  Dying before spending everything I saved my entire life on 4 days in a nursing home?   Thanks.  I'm fine with a quicker end.  

Which is no knock to the amazing staff of therapists and nurses at nursing homes but really, truly.  My mom spent 100 days in a rehab facility that was half nursing home and the people there were amazing but if I get the option of a quick exit or a nursing home I'm team quick exit.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Elijah's 

Elijah!!!! I totally called him Ethan...  That's either on me... or on the writers for making him so forgettable that I've only just noticed he shares a name with my grandfather.  

• LOL 3
38 minutes ago, kili said:

I don't think Kate was ever Kate Damon. She appears to have kept her maiden name. When she signed the police report when Rebecca had an episode and ended up lost from the cabin, she signed the report "Kate Pearson".  Jack's name is Jack Pearson Damon.

When the lady gave Kate her nameplate for her classroom when she got the supervisor position I thought it said Mrs. Pearson-Damon?

• Love 14
6 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I walk 15 miles a day

How is that even possible? I don't see how anyone would have enough hours in the day to walk that much, unless you don't have to work, or your job involves walking.  Anyway, yeah you!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, lexiexx said:

Remember when they first introduced the Philip character and he was like breaking up with a supermodel type for being boring.  lmao.    Kate is a sad sack, a sanctimonious killjoy, part of a family who is super in to waxing nostalgic and explaining why this one day at the pool / ice cream parlor/ zoo is a real defining moment and an explanation for why they did x, y or z before they start crying.    This is what he finds interesting?

Toby did nothing wrong, it is honestly so ridiculous that they are painting him as the bad guy.  Kate is one of those women who wants her partner to bring in the money so she can be there for the kids, then bitch about how he's not there and she has to do everything.   

Why does the kid who plays Jack during the proposal era not look anything like younger Jack and grown up Jack?   

You mean the already chubby Jack, but then look at his genes.

3 hours ago, MBayGal said:

How is that even possible? I don't see how anyone would have enough hours in the day to walk that much, unless you don't have to work, or your job involves walking.  Anyway, yeah you!

I've heard that people with certain jobs, like warehouse workers, can get in 15-20 miles a day. I've been wfh since the pandemic and don't even get a mile in during my workday. I have to plan two walks into my schedule to get to 10,000 steps. It's a struggle. 

15 miles a day is 3-5 hours of walking depending on your pace. Impressive.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cameron said:

You mean the already chubby Jack, but then look at his genes.

Many  kids fluctuate in weight, mine were too hyper, but I wondered why they did that and was it a shot at Toby for wanting to limit the marshmallows. I couldn't help but notice Hailey wasn't given really any lines and didn't seem happy in most scenes. You never hear what she does during the day or what she likes. I don't get why they had to adopt on show but later she is working with art and might add to story in some way.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, debraran said:

Many  kids fluctuate in weight, mine were too hyper, but I wondered why they did that and was it a shot at Toby for wanting to limit the marshmallows. I couldn't help but notice Hailey wasn't given really any lines and didn't seem happy in most scenes. You never hear what she does during the day or what she likes. I don't get why they had to adopt on show but later she is working with art and might add to story in some way.

Thinking the same thing about Toby wanting to limit the sugar that young Jack was eating.  Guess it proves that Toby was right.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Though I'm not Team Kate, I'm decidedly on Team Can't-Stand-Tob, so there were no winners for me tonight. Glad that they moved the story along and hope this was the end of the Kate/Toby centric episodes. More Rebecca/Miguel, fewer Jack Pearson flashbacks, and maybe a touch more of Uncle Nicky being happy (because it makes me happy). For purely selfish reasons, I'd also like to see another episode with Dr. Luka Kovac. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I couldn't help but notice Hailey wasn't given really any lines and didn't seem happy in most scenes. You never hear what she does during the day or what she likes.

I could tell in the montage that she said something during their slime session with Toby and he was replying, but the music drowned them out.  He seems great with kids.

• Love 7

So future Kate is not dead. And future Kate still hasn’t changed her “eating habit” (tm Dr Now). It would be unlikely that Future Kate would be alive in 25-ish years. Which the show wanted us to believe since they’ve been teasing whether she was still around all year.

When Toby and Kate were fighting and Toby brought up some very valid points, Kate’s only response was “Oh, wow”. Even the writers know she’s wrong.

When Toby wanted to reconcile just prior to the signing of the papers, Kate’s argument was that she’s happy now. Of course she is. She’s living in the house while Toby’s in a crappy apartment, Toby is back at a job he doesn’t like, Toby is paying for everything, and Toby is the one who has to come visit their kids. Kate made literally zero sacrifices or changes in her lifestyle.

So Kate, with no formal training or degree, who was working at the school as a part time aide, is now a “supervisor” of some sort.  Who is she supervising? There were no other more qualified candidates?

I’m still not buying the Kate/Phillip “love story”. What changed in his personality that he would want to be with such a self-centered miserable person? Making him out to be a jerk from the get go didn’t help.

It must be hard on Kate that Phillip’s story or woe and guilt over the death of a loved one is much, much worse than hers. I wonder if their marriage vows will include a stipulation that her story of her father’s death will forevermore be much more tragic than his story of his wife’s death?

It took ten or so years, and right before Kate’s wedding, but Toby finally realized that Kate was always right and that he was always wrong, and that there’s no denying the irrefutable perfection that is being a Pearson. BTW, cute second wife for Toby. Kind of looks like a younger version of Rebecca.

• LOL 1
  • Love 23

I just realized that the therapist asked when they had just had a nice dinner alone and somehow that became “Toby has to make a nice dinner for Kate while putting the children to bed.”  Because of course. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 12

Yes, because Toby does love to play the martyr. And, while I’m at it, of course he had to insert himself on Kate’s wedding day  Loathe him  

Glad we are done with this divorce mess. Ready for show to wrap up. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, cameron said:

Thinking the same thing about Toby wanting to limit the sugar that young Jack was eating.  Guess it proves that Toby was right.

Or the show cast the best actor for the job from their small talent pool.  The show made it a point to cast blind actors for Jack which limits the talent pool.  I really don't think the show was trying to prove either one right in that particular fight when they cast 7 year old Jack.  

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I just realized that the therapist asked when they had just had a nice dinner alone and somehow that became “Toby has to make a nice dinner for Kate while putting the children to bed.”  Because of course. 

With the problems that Kate and Toby had, I was surprised it took the therapist 16 months to suggest something as simple as date night.  After their communication issues, one of their biggest problems was neither one putting their marriage first.  Both of them let their jobs and kids become their top priorities while their marriage suffered.  I would have thought Diane would have suggested date night within the first 6 months.

• Love 5
On 4/13/2022 at 4:05 AM, Chatty Cake said:

I don’t see Kate and Phillip as a couple. It was a crappy thing to throw at viewers. 
Hated that Toby tried so hard for a whiny, nagging unhappy woman. Now that she’s with the pipsqueak douche she’s suddenly happy and nicer? Bullshit.

I agree with this but I’ll add that we have seen Kate glowing with happiness at work, so I could buy that this is the Kate who “makes him happy.” That’s the Kate he knows.

They have NO CHEMISTRY. And I honestly thought it was going to turn out he was lying about his wife being killed; it seemed that absurd. She didn’t even say goodbye! *eyeroll*

and Kate just could not handle the fact that Toby grew up. The end. I really like new and improved Toby so I'm glad life gets better for him. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 22
8 hours ago, hoosiergirl said:

You guys…I laughed so hard. The wife was blind. And infertile. And killed by a drunk driver on the very day she left Philip. LOLOLOLOL. 

Philip clearly had a personality transplant since the last episode he was in. The dating scenes were laughable. And it’s not because Kate’s fat and he’s moderately okay-looking. It was like he was some neutered wimp who had undergone a lobotomy. I got interested when he snapped at Kate that his life was messy. But then I laughed at his dumb back story. 

I felt for the poor actor who had to try and sell that crap. I like the actor who plays Philip ok but I felt like he was struggling with that part.

While certain parts of the show that depicted the break up of a marriage were well done, the unrealistic Kate/Philip "love story" took me out of it.   

• Love 13
1 hour ago, BC4ME said:

I felt for the poor actor who had to try and sell that crap. I like the actor who plays Philip ok but I felt like he was struggling with that part.

While certain parts of the show that depicted the break up of a marriage were well done, the unrealistic Kate/Philip "love story" took me out of it.   

Kate is really a morbidly obese person who is a thin  version of his late wife.  Both women fixated on getting pregnant; "come hell or high water".

Edited by cameron
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

Logistically, having friends requires hiring other actors and creating stories about or including those characters.

there are certainly logistical issues with storylines and economic concerns with how many actors per episode. so, yes, it’s a real issue, with no easy solution — particularly when the lead characters are as entitled and self-absorbed as the pearsons. there’s no one to call them on their shit. i had the same problem with the bravermans on parenthood.

• Love 6

I've hate watched this show forever, but I actually loved this episode with the exception of Toby having to give up the job he loved.

Upon reading your comments, I'm starting to question myself!  You all are so right about so much of this!

Edited by Boo Boo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

When the lady gave Kate her nameplate for her classroom when she got the supervisor position I thought it said Mrs. Pearson-Damon?

It did, but then the look on Kate’s face made me think that wasn’t something she expected to see. And do people even use “Mrs” anymore? I actually don’t know; I’m of the Ms. generation and I think most all my friends kept their birth names when they married. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

It did, but then the look on Kate’s face made me think that wasn’t something she expected to see. And do people even use “Mrs” anymore? I actually don’t know; I’m of the Ms. generation and I think most all my friends kept their birth names when they married. 

For that matter, do people really use nameplates anymore? It's a school for blind kids, so only the sighted faculty/staff would even know it was there, and presumably they know her name and don't call her "Mrs."

This should probably go in the unpopular opinions thread: I've been wondering whether a different actress might have managed to make Kate more likeable. Sometimes even a fairly unsympathetic character can become somewhat sympathetic with the right actor who is capable of infusing some vulnerability. This is not a knock on Chrissy, and I know she needs to work with the lines she's given. But she made choices, too -- for example, adult Kate rarely smiled. (Or if she did, it was so long ago that I don't remember.) Chrissy said she wished she had gotten to give the Kate monologue that was written for this episode, which would have made her come off as even more loathsome than she already did. I just really wonder about the choices she made for Kate's portrayal. I also happen to think that it would have made more sense to cast someone who was ~50 lbs overweight for this role, given the direction that the character took. 

Edited by Jillybean
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, lexiexx said:

I feel like the writers are gaslighting us.  We've spent 6 seasons with Kate being a miserable wretch, yet they wants us to believe she is somehow suddenly so much fun and so interesting.

1 hour ago, Johnny Dollar said:

It must be hard on Kate that Phillip’s story or woe and guilt over the death of a loved one is much, much worse than hers. I wonder if their marriage vows will include a stipulation that her story of her father’s death will forevermore be much more tragic than his story of his wife’s death?

As Chrissy said in that interview posted upthread, no one will ever live up to Jack, so this marriage is doomed either way.

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

What is the timeline of the Ms generation?

9 hours ago, kili said:

If Philip's last name is Paiman, she could be Kate Pearson Damon Paiman.

30 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Maybe the retiring teacher/supervisor/whatever (Sheila?) took it upon herself to make the nameplate, and she defaults to Mrs. for married women. I noticed the nameplate had braille on it, so it was created for blind and sighted people.

3 hours ago, debraran said:

I couldn't help but notice Hailey wasn't given really any lines and didn't seem happy in most scenes. You never hear what she does during the day or what she likes. I don't get why they had to adopt on show but later she is working with art and might add to story in some way.

I think the main reason for Hailey and the adoption storyline was because the writers needed a plot line for K & T that season. 

When do we learn that she is working with art?

1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

They have NO CHEMISTRY. And I honestly thought it was going to turn out he was lying about his wife being killed; it seemed that absurd.

Maybe Philip killed her! He really couldn't stand that crooked nose.

1 hour ago, BC4ME said:

I wonder if he laughed when he first read the monologue.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't mind Kate, Kevin, and Randall being called The Big 3, but I don't like Hailey and the twins being handed the nickname because it excludes Jack. I know he doesn't share their birthday, but he's not in the club. Granted, he seems to have turned out fine, but I still think it's thoughtless to use a group nickname that excludes one of the kids.

They're called the new Big 3 because they were all born on the same day - in this family, of course they're going to be called that - so it excludes all other children NOT born on this day. I think this is something Jack can understand.

• Love 2
On 4/13/2022 at 9:46 AM, Laurie4H said:

I wonder about her job also.  She doesn’t have a degree does she?

Didn't she mysteriously finish her degree despite them never showing her in class, online, cracking open a book, studying?

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Crs97 said:

So far we’ve called him Elliot and Ethan.  I vote Eddie next.

11 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It would be hilarious if he had a different name in each Pearson's POV. Like, everyone knows that he's Madison's new husband/baby daddy, but he's not significant enough - except to Kevin - to remember his correct name.

I saw "Ethan" and I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't for the life of me think of his name.

9 hours ago, lexiexx said:

They seem to be wanting to be consistent in casting blind actors at every age, which is cool, but I imagine that limits their options in finding a good likeness. I'll just go with "chubby kids sometimes turn into thin adults after hormones and growth spurts kick in" and ignore that his face is a completely different shape.

41 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

For that matter, do people really use nameplates anymore? It's a school for blind kids, so only the sighted faculty/staff would even know it was there, and presumably they know her name and don't call her "Mrs."

It also had a line in Braille beneath the printed name. I would guess the kids are told that there are nameplates and they can feel for them.

11 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

In the flash forward when Jack's daughter is born, she is working in an art gallery. Maybe she'll curate a collection of Kevin Pearson Watercolors.

2 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

Didn't she mysteriously finish her degree despite them never showing her in class, online, cracking open a book, studying?

Yeah, but it was from a community college. Unless there was some special program that allowed her to finish a Bachelor's there (which is apparently a thing, so it's possible, but I don't think they told us), it's likely only an associate's degree.

Edited by ams1001
fixed formatting
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Why do TV shows have to equate bad jobs with how an office looks like? Thy implied that Toby's LA job wasn't that good, then show him waling into a nondescript office, and he is all sad and depressed. The writers are subscribers to the Elitism movement

I am in the minority but I don't hate Kate. I think that the story of her relationship with Toby is one of the best plots in this show. It is adult and who Kate is as an adult is consistent with Kate as a teenager. I can appreciate that, even if I might disagree with how she reacts to certain things. I do think they lost some of Toby's initial character though. But the writing is still above average for TV these days, imo.

I hope some day we see outtakes with the toddler Jack. The kid is too precious.

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I think the main reason for Hailey and the adoption storyline was because the writers needed a plot line for K & T that season. 

Maybe Philip killed her! He really couldn't stand that crooked nose.

I wonder if he laughed when he first read the monologue.

I know I struggled not to laugh.  I mean really? 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I agree with this, but I also think Hailey was a band-aid baby.  Kate and Toby decided to adopt her for some of the same reasons why other couples decide to have a child after going through a rough patch.  They erroneously believe having a child will fix what's wrong with their relationship and cement them together.  They made the decision to adopt after a long year where they struggled with Jack and each other.   

• Love 9

I loved that the name plate had Kate's name in Braille also. It was a nice touch.

Nodding along to the thought that the show was more concerned with hiring a visually-impaired child vs one that was thinner or even looked all that much like 3-year-old or adult-Jack. I had a moment of "who are these kids?"

It is also very common for kids to go through a phase where they gain weight that can have zero to do with what they are being fed/amount and level of activity, etc., and more to do with changing bodies/hormones. For many, though not all, once the growth spurt hits, they go back to their slimmer selves.  

1 minute ago, Crashcourse said:

And he said the poor wife had a hook nose.

He said "crooked," not a hook nose.

But I agree that they could have stopped with the failed IVFs as the reason for the demise. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bumblebee84047 said:

I like Phillip.  There, I said it.

I do, too.

He won my heart when Kate gave him that big Pearson speech/monologue and made all sorts of assumptions about him and he gave it right back to her.

He out-monologued her - a rare feat for a non-Pearson.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Poor Rebecca. She had a hard enuf time remembering Philip's name.

23 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

In the flash forward when Jack's daughter is born, she is working in an art gallery. Maybe she'll curate a collection of Kevin Pearson Watercolors.

Thanks, but see, I don't even remember the FF where Jack's daughter (Hope?) is born. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I had already corrected the post.  Crooked or hook, it doesn't matter.  🤷‍♂️

Either way, definitely the most tragic part of the story. 😢💔

• LOL 13