Type keyword(s) to search

A Tribute to the Late, Great, Robin Williams

• Start Topic

I honestly thought this was a hoax when I first heard it, because it wasn't blasted on every entertainment outlet.  But when the local news announced it, my heart just sank.  Such an unbelievable loss from such a talented man.

Like many, I grew up with Robin Williams' movies (Hook, Mrs. Doubtfire, Aladdin) but I was so impressed at how he was able to nail dramatic roles, and even dark comedies like Death to Smoochy.  That has to be one of my favorites.  It's hilarious, and his performance is both hysterical and heart-wrenching.  I can't recommend it enough.

I knew he'd gone through some issues, but I had no idea he was so depressed.  I'm truly sad for his family, because as painful as it is for the public to lose him, I don't even want to imagine what they're going through.  I really hope their wishes are respected and they can mourn privately.

RIP, Robin Williams.  You'll be missed by all of us.

• Love 4

I don't know how to phrase this with all the weight it deserves, but Mr. Williams' presence in the world made me feel better about the world.

I didn't feel that way about him, but that perfectly describes the way I felt about about two actors whose deaths I mourned as if I actually knew those fine women (who they were is irrelevant, and I don't wish to derail), so I can relate to the sentiment even though I don't share it in this instance.  My sympathies of course are primarily with his family and friends, but I also feel for fans who are feeling this loss in a very real way.  It can be a rather floundering feeling.

While I was not a fan (I didn't dislike him, I just didn't often respond to him), I do love his performance in Dead Again.  Also in The Birdcage -- that one was really quite touching, and one that has stayed with me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

He was such a huge part of my childhood and when I got older I appreciated and was impressed by his dramatic roles like his guest appearance on Homicide: Life On The Street and as the murderer in Christopher Nolan's remake of Insomnia.

• Love 3

I've loved him my entire life. Grew up with Mork and Mindy and never once did I watch him and not appreciate what he brought to the screen; doesn't matter if the film wasn't that great, his presence elevated it in my eyes. I don't think I've ever laughed harder at any comedian's stand ups, either. This is so terribly sad. He's not just my favorite comedian, or one of my favorite actors, he's one of my favorite people in this world. My heart breaks.

• Love 3

Robin Williams: Daughter Zelda's Message to Her Late Father

Late Monday evening Zelda tweeted a quote from French writer Antoine de Saint-Exupery ... "You - you alone will have the stars as no one else has them… In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night... You - only you - will have stars that can laugh."

— Zelda Williams (@zeldawilliams) August 12, 2014

She added … "I love you. I miss you. I'll try to keep looking up. Z"

• Love 9

California News Station KTVU: Robin Williams Hanged Himself

#BREAKING: Sources close to the investigation tells KTVU that #RobinWilliams hanged himself

More Details

Just before noon on Monday, police received a 9-1-1 call saying a man had been found unconscious and not breathing inside his own home in Tiburon, California. Police and fire personnel rushed to the home and got there at 12 p.m.

Robin McLaurin Williams, 63, was pronounced dead at 12:02 p.m.

A forensic examination is scheduled for August 12th.

Edited by Jiggle Billy

A day later and I'm still gutted, I loved so much of his work including The Crazy Ones which I thought was a great comedy.

I loved Robin Williams growing up, from Mork and Mindy to Aladdin to his serious acting in Dead Again, Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society, and Hamlet.  His stand ups were manic and utterly hilarious.  Great talent.

• Love 4

The last thing I saw him on was Louie a year or two ago. Great guest bit with him playing someone with his name, but who wasn't him, as he and Louie marked the passing of a fellow comic. Think I'll go see if I can watch that online.

I had forgotten about that appearance on Louie!!!  He was great in it as always.  I thought it WAS supposed to be him, its not always clear on Louie.  He blurs the fiction/real line quite a bit on his show.  Anyway that was a hilarious episode and scenes they did together. 

He was one of the few people that could pull off comedy and drama.  I think Robin Williams, Tom Hanks and Bill Murray all can do it best and combine the two better than any other actors.

• Love 2

To say that the death of Robin Williams is tragic is an understatement. He was phenomenal. If anyone epitomized the phrase "full of life," it was Robin Williams. Everytime I saw him, it made me smile. His TV interviews made me laugh more than some of his movies. There are just too many great memories of his TV interviews for me to list them all. He was not only an incredible talent, he was an incredible human being, as he proved with his friendship with Christopher Reeve, his work with Comic Relief and St. Jude's Hospital, his entertaining the troops and on the 9/11 telethon, among many other things.

Just the other day I watched The Birdcage again and it's as funny now as it was when it first came out and much of that was because of Williams. However, as funny as Williams was, he was just as great at drama, as he proved in Dead Poets SocietyGood Morning, Vietnam, One Hour Photo, The Fisher King, Insomnia, Death To Smoochy  & his Oscar-winning role in Good Will Hunting. My favorite dramatic role of Williams was in Awakenings, in which he gave a beautiful, restrained performance. That Williams was capable of such subtlety is a tribute to his talent.

Williams was a genius, but unfortunately, like too many geniuses, he had demons like depression and addiction that were too much for him. The way I see it, it doesn't matter how Williams died; it matters how he lived. My condolences to his family and his friends.

RIP, "My Captain."

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 12

As much as I hate to repeat myself, what I said about him in the In Memoriam thread definitely bears repeating here:  He wasn't just "an actor" or just "a comedian."  He was an institution, and he was and is irreplaceable.

RIP, Mr. Williams, and thank you for sharing your gifts with all of us.  May you finally have the peace of mind and spirit in the life to come that were so cruelly denied to you in this life.

• Love 3

So many great posts here that I don't know what else I could add, expect that his soliloquy in Good Will Hunting about how he gave up a ticket to the legendary Game 6 of the 1975 World Series to be with his future wife was one of his finest acting moments.  RIP.

• Love 3

So many great posts here that I don't know what else I could add, expect that his soliloquy in Good Will Hunting about how he gave up a ticket to the legendary Game 6 of the 1975 World Series to be with his future wife was one of his finest acting moments. RIP.

I LOVED that soliloquy one of my all time favs.

RIP. My Genie :-(

• Love 3

I am so bummed. I woke up this morning thinking I dreamed it, the sad news, but it was real.

A tribute from director Barry Levinson: "A bleeder in a world of sharp edges."
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/director-barry-levinson-remembers-robin-williams-we-94563281217.html

Improv from Inside The Actor's Studio:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz8lor_inside-the-actors-studio-classic-episode-robin-williams_news

This, with James Lipton, kills: 
on.msnbc.com/1oFlCdD

I think one of the funniest damn things he ever did was a riff as John Bobbitt's severed penis. Which, as we all remember, was discarded on the side of the road. So, arms at his sides (because a penis has no arms), one eye closed (because a penis has only one, um, eye) ... Robin-as-penis is trying to somehow flag down a ride. Cracking wise while being spun in circles by the wind from the vehicles speeding past, hoping for a ride in ... a Peterbilt. LMFAO. I've watched lots of his comedy clips in the past couple days but I've not seen or found that one. If anyone comes across it, please link it. TIA.

• Love 3

I loved this post from Sheila O Malley, featuring two takes of the same scene on Carol Burnett. I have never seen this before and I laughed til I cried.  Thank you Robin, for giving us your genius . 

http://www.sheilaomalley.com/?p=87988

If that's the scene I think it is, what I remember about it is that the first time it was done as scripted, and then Carol came out and told the audience (and the viewers at home) that Robin had liked it so much he wanted to do it again -- only this time, he wanted to improvise his lines.  She then said that that was exactly what they decided to do, and then concluded with a heartfelt "Pray for us, please!"

And yes, in the end, even Carol broke character and lost it a couple of times.

• Love 2

Robin was one of those rare talents where I would hear he was involved with a project and that was all I needed to watch it.  

The Crazy Ones really was hilarious and I'm sad it didn't do better.  Networks are too quick to cancel shows now without giving them a chance.

Good Morning, Vietnam is my go to Robin movie.  I can recite it from start to finish and it STILL makes me cry laughing even though I've seen it a bajillion times.  The quotes from it I use constantly in every day life.  I can't count the number of times I've woken up one of my friends with "It's O 600 in the morning.  What's the O stand for?  OH MY GOD IT'S EARLY!"

The amount of times someone said "We just let him go and built the movie around him." or something along those lines is truly amazing.  That is the mark of a true entertainment genius.  

I will miss him terribly.  RIP Mr. Williams.  And thank you.

• Love 2

If that's the scene I think it is, what I remember about it is that the first time it was done as scripted, and then Carol came out and told the audience (and the viewers at home) that Robin had liked it so much he wanted to do it again -- only this time, he wanted to improvise his lines.  She then said that that was exactly what they decided to do, and then concluded with a heartfelt "Pray for us, please!"

I remember Carol Burnett showing the redo in a special and pausing at around at 8:21 on the video after he sung the Negro spiritual and Carol was breaking and pointed to Robin's face saying something like "Look at him! He knew he got me, the little--"

Robin's daughter Zelda had to quit Twitter because of vile trolls tweeted her (fake) autopsy photos of her dad. What the hell is wrong with people?

Edited by VCRTracking

Robin's daughter Zelda had to quit Twitter because of vile trolls tweeted her (fake) autopsy photos of her dad. What the hell is wrong with people?

Poor Zelda!  I can't imagine why anyone would WANT those pictures.  I literally screamed "I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!" at the news when it announced the details of the suicide.

Back to what's worth remembering, my first and foremost favorite Robin Williams movie will always be Aladdin.  I loved Aladdin and the King of Thieves too; it was great that they managed to get him back for that one -- it made it 1000 times better.

I too love The Birdcage and his rare straight-man performance.  One Hour Photo was definitely a notable performance, but he scared the crap out of me.  And even though I don't like Mrs. Doubtfire, I loved her character.  I so wish Mrs. Doubtfire's show had been real.

• Love 3

Robin's energy, his life-force, is out there in the 'verse once again. Who knows what plane he'll end up on this time, I just hope it's a worthy vessel. 

He did a lot of good in his time here with us, so thanks Robin. Thank you very much, indeed.

• Love 10

Jumanji is my favorite movie of Robin Williams.

I took my mom to see it when it first came out, she loved RW. She bought on video and later on DVD.

About a year ago the movie was on and I just left it on in the background my son was 3 at the time at came in the room and sat down and watched it and loved it. My mother passed away 6 yrs before my son was born. It made me feel like my mom was sending her RW love to my son. Silly I know. We just watched Jumanji on Netflix, it made me sad. RIP Robin Williams.

• Love 5

Robin Williams has three grown children, and I imagine one day some or all of them will have kids.  I'm just sitting here thinking about what a wonderful, funny, cool grandpa he would have been. 

• Love 9

Good Morning, Vietnam is my go to Robin movie.  I can recite it from start to finish and it STILL makes me cry laughing even though I've seen it a bajillion times. 

My friends and I quote that movie all the time. "It's hot! Damn hot!"

I was watching Death to Smoochy last week and it's one of my favorite films. I feel like he stole the movie even though Norton is great in it too, but Williams is just delightful  in the villianous role.

• Love 1

We watched World's Greatest Dad last night, because we wanted to see one of the more recent Robin movies we hadn't seen. It's good. Serious with dark-comedy  undertones. All I'll say is, unless you're prepared for some very uncomfortable and unsettling pre-echoes of the way Robin's life ended, don't watch it. If you think you can handle it, then do. This morning Mrs. Stone and I remain convinced that Robin's doing this movie had something to do with his final decision. We can't say why or what, but we can't shake the feeling.

• Love 2

We watched World's Greatest Dad last night, because we wanted to see one of the more recent Robin movies we hadn't seen. It's good. Serious with dark-comedy  undertones. All I'll say is, unless you're prepared for some very uncomfortable and unsettling pre-echoes of the way Robin's life ended, don't watch it. If you think you can handle it, then do. This morning Mrs. Stone and I remain convinced that Robin's doing this movie had something to do with his final decision. We can't say why or what, but we can't shake the feeling.

Yeah, I had seen this about 6-8 months ago, and do you know this is the first thing that popped into my head at the news?  Ugh.

A couple of good ones that are often forgotten or overlooked are Dead Again and Jack. 

He also did Hamlet in the mid 1990s. 

The ones that stand out in our minds are the manic, crazed, flight of ideas Robin williams that is just hilarious, but he really did about aout comedy and half serious roles at least through the early 2000s. 

• Love 2

Willowy beat me to it. I was just about to post that article.

But what has me seeing red is the Coroner's statement about how he had "no choice" and did "nothing wrong" in releasing the details of Williams' death. And I call bullshit. We don't see them making press conferences and providing the details for each and every autopsy they do, do we? Because he was a celebrity, or any celebrity, that means this maroon can pull out the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) card? And the only time it would be released is if someone requested it, and also  there are so many, many other things involved in a FOIA request.

Give me a fucking break. Sorry, we have a client for whom?/who? ( I can never remember which is the proper word) do multiple FOIA requests, so I know it's not a question of someone asked, and by Golly, according to California law, we have to divulge this information to all and sundry!

Asshole.

• Love 2

Sorry for the double post, but I just found this on my FB page...Jon Stewart uploaded a montage of all of Robin Williams' visits to the show. Made me laugh, then just sad, since the last appearance was talking about his return to television. Man, I didn't think I'd miss him so much, you know? I mean, I knew he was still around, but didn't think much, but now that he's gone...it's like...I don't know, I can't come up with the right words...

Robin Williams on The Daily Show

• Love 5

Robin Williams: Fans Want Actor Memorialized in 'Zelda' Video Game

Robin Williams could be memorialized in a video game that was so near and dear to him ... he named his daughter after it.

Legions of Williams fans have started an online petition to have a character in the "Legend of Zelda" game named after him.

Williams was famous for his love of video games, especially "Zelda." Not only did he name his daughter Zelda after the character ... the two even appeared in commercials for the game.

Now a petition has sprung up on change.org to have the next incarnation of the game feature a character named Robin. "He won't get to play it, but he'll live on forever in a universe he always loved" ... so the petition reads.

77,000 fans have signed on ... so far.

Robin Williams Zelda Ad #1

How cool would that be?! Long live Robin Williams!

• Love 3

My grandmother died last week and now Robin, a massive part of my childhood and adulthood, is gone. I'm just gutted.

Everyone here has already named movies of Robin's that I loved, but for some reason I always remember a quote from one of his standup specials where he was riffing on Canada and said "Canada's like a loft apartment over a really great party". I have no idea why that line stuck in my memory (I actually love Canada), but it was such a random and funny line that I always think of it when I think of him.

I'm sad that his depression got so bad that nothing could pull him out of it and he felt like leaving was the only way out. I hope he's found the peace and joy in the next life that he so freely gave to everyone else in this life.

• Love 9

I've had to spend the last few days just processing all of this. I know he was just a celebrity and I know many people on the Internet are sadly correct in saying that there are worse things going on in the world, like Mike Brown's death and all, but it does still feel like a huge loss. Robin Williams is someone who I grew up watching. I may only be twenty, but the first movie I saw him in was Mrs. Doubtfire, and then Aladdin. Those two movies were just wonderful and a huge part of my childhood. I watched Mrs. Doubtfire with my dad and that's kind of how we bond from time to time. I've seen a lot of Williams' movies too. Flubber, Hook, Nine Months, Patch Adams, and in the more recent years, Night at the Museum, RV, License to Wed and Old Dogs. I watched Insomnia for the first time almost two years ago, when I was in my first year of university, and it was the very first movie I watched in my first film class. Seeing him in that actually helped me find my niche in film, which is now my major. 

I watched What Dreams May Come with my parents years ago and for the longest time, I couldn't remember what the title was called until this week, but I remember watching the movie and I've known the plot so clearly and it was the first time I realized Robin Williams could not only do the comedic roles. I've always planned to watch Dead Poets Society, and I even got the movie for Christmas a couple of years back but I've never gotten around to watching it, so I guess now I probably should. I also want to watch Good Will Hunting, Jumanji (I think I watched it years ago but I barely remember it),  The Birdcage, Jack and The Fisher King. I've actually never heard of Good Morning Vietnam but I think that's also going to be on my list. The Crazy Ones is the last thing I saw him in and I wanted that show to be renewed so badly, but I was incredibly disappointed when it wasn't. Sitcoms aren't my thing, it's hard for me to get into them, but this show was one of the rare ones that captured my attention and I was so incredibly sad when they cancelled it. 

So, I am definitely going to have to go on a Robin Williams binge these next couple of weeks to appreciate even more what a talent we've lost. And I think every time the Night at the Museum 3 trailers come on TV, I'm going to get a little more sad, knowing that it was one of his last roles and I'm willing to bet that movie will be a huge seller, just for Robin alone. 

Edited by jessied112
  • Love 5

Robin Williams: Fans Want Actor Memorialized in 'Zelda' Video Game

How cool would that be?! Long live Robin Williams!

I do know that World of Warcraft is already working on creating an in-game memorial of some sort. It may be an NPC, perhaps a quest line, not sure what they're going to do but he was a regular player and the petition for it started immediately and Blizzard responded very quickly that they're going to be creating something for him.

• Love 3

Other deaths have bothered me before. John Ritter. Heath Ledger. Patrick Swayze. Paul Walker. But this destroyed me. It doesn't seem real - he was truly larger than life.

Good Will Hunting and Aladdin are two of my favorite movies period. I also love, love, love Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam and Mrs. Doubtfire.

• Love 8

Other deaths have bothered me before. John Ritter. Heath Ledger. Patrick Swayze. Paul Walker. But this destroyed me.

Yeah, Ritter was a tough one, mostly because, he, too, was a big part of my childhood.  Patrick was sad because of the ugliness that is cancer and Heath and Paul were sad because they were so young.  I'm not related to Robin, nor have I every worked with him or even met him, so I it would be silly of me to go through all 5 stages of grief, but I am experiencing a bit of anger right now and it's mixed with a little fear. 

Please understand as you read this, that I know nothing about depression/bi-polar disorder (I've heard both in relation to him--I don't know which one is correct). I'm lucky that no one in my family has it.  I have mental issues that require me to take meds prescribed by a psychiatrist, but it is far from an issue with depression. I find myself angry that this man, who was so kind hearted to seemingly everyone, who was so universally loved, who had enough money to use any resource available, felt like this was his only option.  That he felt like he couldn't get through life anymore.  Maybe the Parkinson's diagnosis was the final straw.  It scares the hell out of me to think that if he couldn't handle it, how hard is it for others that are lonelier and can't get the help they need.  I know Robin was a master at covering up his issues via his acting and comedic abilities, so I guessing that others with depression wouldn't be quite as successful at hiding it, but I do wonder if I'm missing something from anyone in my life.  I hate to think that someone could be suffering like this and I would be completely unaware. 

I really hope my comments haven't offended someone here.  Like I said, I know nothing about that kind of depression and the last thing I would want is to know that I've hurt someone by being clueless.  The stories of Robin will fade out of the spotlight soon and we'll move on to the next tragic event, but this really hit me in a way that made me want to know more.  Physical diseases are hard to watch, but easy to see and therefore to know how to help.  It's the mental ones that are harder to understand and assist with (believe me, I have to explain myself a lot on my bad days).

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 7

This death was very hard to take for me because #1) it coincided with the first year anniversary of my brothers death (who was diagnosed paranoid/schizophrenic) and then #2) it brought up horrible memories of my cousin's suicide who had Parkinson disease.

Sometimes big deaths like these ... the grief isn't all about the person that died, but the memories we all have of our own circles that mimic.

Hurt is hurt.  And I know how I felt when my brother and my cousin passed.  Those memories all came flooding back to me, and I hurt for me and for the family of Robin.  Celebrity or not.  I hurt for them. 

• Love 14

That Williams was just diagnosed with Parkinson's makes this story even more tragic. I heard a statistic on CNN the other day that about 40% of Parkinson's patients suffer from depression and since he had just found out that he had it, it must have been devastating for him. Since one of Williams' closest friends was Michael J. Fox, who's lived with Parkinson's for over 20 years,  I'm not judging Williams by any means, but it's a shame that he was in so much pain that he felt that he couldn't turn to Fox for help. Given time, I think that Fox could've helped Williams deal with Parkinson's like Williams helped Christopher Reeve deal with his paralysis.

Robin's daughter Zelda had to quit Twitter because of vile trolls who tweeted (fake) autopsy photos of her dad. What the hell is wrong with people?

That is absolutely horrifying. There are some really sick sack of shits out there.

That is disgusting. As if the family's not suffering enough already. However, I wouldn't call the douchebags who tweeted those photos "sacks of shit" because at least shit is useful sometimes.

Even more disgusting was Todd Bridges' comment about Williams' suicide being "selfish." Hey, Todd, you wanna know what I call selfish? Washed-up, judgmental, self-righteous assholes who try to exploit a much bigger, much more talented and much more popular celebrity's death just to make themselves relevant again.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

Even more disgusting was Todd Bridges' comment about Williams' suicide being "selfish." Hey, Todd, you wanna know what I call selfish? Washed-up, judgmental, self-righteous assholes who try to exploit a much bigger, much more talented and much more popular celebrity's death just to make themselves relevant again.

Who the fuck asked Todd Bridges?? Ugh...