Type keyword(s) to search

A Tribute to the Late, Great, Robin Williams

• Start Topic

I know Robin was a master at covering up his issues via his acting and comedic abilities, so I guessing that others with depression wouldn't be quite as successful at hiding it, but I do wonder if I'm missing something from anyone in my life.

Actually, as someone who has suffered through clinical depression since my teens, I've found that we're often very good at covering it up.  I think it comes from feeling very alone and misunderstood most of the time.  You don't want to do anything that you think will alienate people and make you even more isolated, so you act happy and approachable, because that's also the way you get through the day.  The job I have is sometimes very intensive counseling for other people, so I have to make sure they know I am present and available to them.

Also, the Parkinson's diagnosis could have had something to do with an increase in his depression, but not necessarily.  It doesn't need a reason to show up; it just does sometimes.  And it's kind of like having a virus in your system.  You know there will be outbreaks, but you never know when or how bad.  You just deal with it the best you can when it appears.  

I'm not saying any of this to turn the discussion to me.  It's just a perspective that I thought might help.

Edited by LADreamr
  • Love 7

I just realized how poorly constructed that statement was.  I should never post while in a hurry.

Thanks for your response, @LADreamr. It's a sad and frightening thing. I know how I feel when things get bad for me (I have high anxiety/stress/OCD. I'm developing TMJ from clamping my teeth in my sleep and when the dentist asked if I've been stressed lately and my response was that I live in a state of stress-it's just higher than usual.), but can't imagine what it must be like to live with episodes of severe depression.

• Love 2
I'm not judging Williams by any means, but it's a shame that he was in so much pain that he felt that he couldn't turn to Fox for help.

We'll never know what role, if any, the Parkinson's diagnosis played in RW's decision to end his life.  I would not presume to think that talking to any one person would have made a difference.

• Love 1

I read somewhere today that Parkinsons meds might have the side effect of making someone suicidal. Is it true, I don't know (and I don't want to Google it), but I've heard enough pill commercials that I know there are pills where that's a legitimate problem. Although, most of them seem to be for depression.

You don't want to do anything that you think will alienate people and make you even more isolated, so you act happy and approachable, because that's also the way you get through the day.

This point really hits home.  I worked with someone for over a decade, most genial man you could ever want to meet, always genuinely smiling, married to his college sweetheart.  We worked at (honestly) the most relaxed place you can imagine.  I went on vacation and came back and was told he had killed himself.

This was six years ago and I think about him occasionally, more often now with the news about Robin Williams.  My co-worker had been on medication, which I didn't know.  I would not have thought he had *something* that would drive him to do what he did.  I think that the issue is complicated, medically as well as psychologically and that we are quite a way from understanding it.  It's not a one size fits all; people are "imbalanced", for want of a better term, in different ways and it takes time and committment from the doctors and individuals to find what works to restore that balance or at least to bring the scales somewhat on the same level and even then it probably needs to always be tweaked.

The sweaty toothed madman :)

Edited by raven
  • Love 1

It helps people make sense of what they might consider a senseless death.  It did me anyway.

Me too, Biz. It wasn't senseless imo, but at least it gives it some perspective, for lack of a better way of putting it. I don't envy what he was going through, not one bit.

• Love 2

Like many of you, I've always known Robin as an institution in my pop culture life; didn't know a time without him.  

His death really stunned me and drove me back to my favorites:  Aladdin, Good Will Hunting, The Birdcage, Insomnia, Hook (Bangarang!) One Hour Photo, Mrs. Doubtfire, Dead Poet's Society, etc, etc.

I think I'd forgotten how gifted he was at what he did and how much he made me laugh, feel and think.  I'm sad for his death and for his family; mental illness is just that, an illness.  There is so much stigma and misunderstanding attached, but the end remains the same:  A man who was loved by many is gone.  And for me, that's just sad.  As I learned this weekend watching the fab movies above, it is going to be a while before the melancholy of his loss isn't there when I watch one of his amazing performances, but it is never going to dull my love and appreciation for his work and for him as a person.

• Love 2

I just came across a song by Seals and Crofts that kind of fits (imo):

So I wanna laugh while the laughin' is easy

I wanna cry it makes it worthwhile

I may never pass this way again

That's why I want it with you

'Cause you make me feel like I'm more than a friend

Like I'm the journey and you're the journey's end

I may never pass this way again

That's why I want it with you

Source: We May Never Pass This Way Again -- Seals and Crofts

Especially the above quote from it. I know it's a kind of a break up love song kind of thing, but something about it drew me in and made me think of Robin.

• Love 1

There's another facet to Parkinson's which *may* have been a factor in this event: there is a great probability of PDD (Parkinson's dementia). My dad has PD and he lives with me so I can take care of him. Lately the PDD is coming on strongly, and it's just really adding insult to injury. So, because Robin was a good friend of Michael Fox and did lots for the MJF foundation I wonder how he could have escaped being aware of the PDD component. I can't help wondering if, in addition to the lifelong battle with depression, that was his tipping point.

• Love 2

I read somewhere today that Parkinsons meds might have the side effect of making someone suicidal. Is it true, I don't know (and I don't want to Google it), but I've heard enough pill commercials that I know there are pills where that's a legitimate problem. Although, most of them seem to be for depression.

Parkinson's meds don't make someone suicidal, despite what some lawyers and others on the internet might claim and/or say.  Parkinson's also does not necessarily make someone depressed, plus he had depression I am assuming before the diagnosis, he didn't really need another reason for his depression

On the other hand, some of the meds he was one for his likely bipolar diagnosis or psychiatric problems could make someone have parkinsonian symptoms.  The atypical antipsychotics in particular can do this.  Which means he may have been parkinsonian and had the symptoms, but not had parkinson's disease.  That part of it may have been secondary to his medications

And then there is the constant debate over antidepressants making sonmeone suicidal.  There is a small risk of this but in someone with I am assuming based on what we know probably decades long history of psychiatric problems plus polysubstance abuse, it would be just about impossible to say his prescription medications, no matter which one is being discussed, that caused his suicide. 

• Love 1

Last night, as I was flipping through the channels, I saw the last couple of minutes of an old Oprah Winfrey Show on OWN and it was Robin promoting the Fisher King.  I checked out the guide and an hour later they were showing her episode with Robin promoting Good Morning Vietnam.  Of course, he went off on a lot of tangents, but there was a lot of serious talk, too.  Over the past few years, no matter how much I adored him, I couldn't sit through an interview with him because he got way too manic.  I wonder if there's a correlation between that and his depression getting worse over the years? 

Anyway, while I was waiting for that show, I watched the last hour of Good Will Hunting.  It was a bitter sweet feeling watching that wonderful performance and I smiled a lot, but it was the Oprah show that did me in.  He said something very funny and I started with a laugh out loud, then the tears started.  Then, I got myself together and the cycle would repeat itself.  Interesting because I thought it would be the other way around--his serious stuff making me cry and his stand up making me laugh and smile. 

• Love 2

We'll never know what role, if any the Parkinson's diagnosis made in RW's decision to end his life. I would not presume to think that talking to any one person would have made a difference.

I base my opinion on his widow's announcement of his Parkinson's. Based on her statement, she probably thought that it played a role in his decision. As for whether or not talking to one person about one's problems makes a difference, based on my personal experience, while sometimes it doesn't, many times it does, especially if the other person knows all too well what you're going, or are about to go, through.

On another note, last week on one of the entertainment news shows, there was a repeat of an interview that RW did about one of the funniest moments he had with Christopher Reeve: One day, back in the 80s, he and Reeve were walking down the street and these two Black women who saw them yelled out, "'Superman' & 'Popeye!'" because of their title roles in both films.

• Love 3

Revisiting Robin Williams one last time...

Mara Wilson went quiet about him after one small tweet, but finally wrote a longer piece about him on her blog day before yesterday: http://marawilsonwritesstuff.com/remembering-robin/

Lisa Jakub, who was in Mrs. Doubtfire with Robin and Mara, as the older sister, wrote this 8 or 9 days ago, and it may not have been linked here yet: http://lisajakub.wordpress.com/2014/08/11/farewell-to-robin-williams-a-thank-you-note/

Reposting this from the In Memoriam: Celebrity Deaths thread, because it has to be one of the best things I have read to date about this man.

• Love 3

Recently watched The Birdcage for the first time - what a fun, but also touching, movie! Gene Hackman makes one ugly woman!

Yea it's one of my favorites. In the middle of watching The Dead Poets Society for the first time, I really like it so far. Heck it would have been fun to have had him for a teacher.

I had a teacher like that. His name was Mr. Arduser. I never even knew his first name but it was all about inspiring creative thought in students, not just mindlessly following the established norm. He was awesome and all the students loved him. 

• Love 2

I had a teacher like that. His name was Mr. Arduser. I never even knew his first name but it was all about inspiring creative thought in students, not just mindlessly following the established norm. He was awesome and all the students loved him. 

Nice :). I kind of did too. His name was Mr. Busch. He made learning about history fun.

• Love 2

Yes, I definitely did, too. His name was ... wait for it ... Mr. Rogers! He created a special class just for our school where he made his own curriculum for grade 12 English students and instead of being in a stuffy classroom, we went to a cabin at a summer camp everyday. He even showed us this film, which is where I first saw it.

• Love 3

I was lucky to have more than one teacher like that. But the one that comes to mind is the gentleman with the unlikely name of Wilson Heap, my high school Latin teacher. I'm writing this as a shout-out in case he's online in heaven.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

Just found a neat entry on tvtropes site :).

Some more info on Robin Williams

For any Pokémon fans this should make you grin... He'd also gone on record saying that if they ever make a Live-Action Adaptation of Pokémon, he wanted to play Professor Oak.

That would have been awesome. Would have loved to have seen that movie.

Also just found this from Dorkly.com.

Link to the article

It's a really good read.

• Love 2

A channel called cloo is airing Mork & Mindy lately. As a young ScullyinApt42, I saw the show on Nick at Night and didn't think much of it. Seeing it with new eyes, it's hilarious! 

(Mork is working out with a Mary Lou Retton exercise tape. "This will increase your bust!" the instructor says.)

MORK: "When I got here, I said 'Earth or Bust!' Now I have both. Yay."

Young Robin, and older Robin actually, are quite handsome to me. Watching Mork, Williams seems to really enjoy the role - which is heartwarming and heartbreaking to see, now that he's passed.

Edited by ScullyInApt42
  • Love 5

Just checked the schedule in my area: and they're airing... Yanni and Celtic Woman respectively INSTEAD of the Robin Williams' Tribute. Where's a facepalm smiley where you need one? Only times are way in the morning...

Hopefully it's just a mistake in the programming. If not, I'll be very upset.

Double checked on their site and they have it listed for the channels.

OK, that's weird.  The link is the correct address, but it jumps to a different page.  I'll work on this, because it's a fun video.

Yea I know. That is rather strange.

Figured out why they're not airing it at 9pm in my area... stoopid Fund Raising time! Darn it.

Edit: Got to see it... at 2am. Was crying my eyes out in parts. It was SO well done :(. Even his friends/other celebrities were almost crying at times. It was a good remembrance.

• Love 1

Jessica Chastain told a great story on the Today show about Williams, a Julliard alum, started a scholarship for Julliard students, which not only helped her pay for school, she was the first person in her family to go to college because of it. Unfortunately, Jessica had never had the chance to meet Williams in person, but she said that his generosity has both touched and inspired her, which is beautiful.

• Love 3

Jessica Chastain told a great story on the Today show about Williams, a Julliard alum, started a scholarship for Julliard students, which not only helped her pay for school, she was the first person in her family to go to college because of it. Unfortunately, Jessica had never had the chance to meet Williams in person, but she said that his generosity has both touched and inspired her, which is beautiful.

I think I saw that tribute somewhere before. It was really nice of her to share.

As for last night's PBS special...

I really enjoyed learning more about what took place behind the scenes of Mork and Mindy, and how they tried to sneak things past the censors :p. Good for you guys! Also enjoyed the stories that the comedians shared about getting to know him.

I couldn't find it anywhere.  I have DISH Network and there are about 4 different PBS stations and none of them listed it.  I couldn't find any information on the website, either--everything there was listed the same as it was on the DISH guide.

I'm bummed. 

Edited by Shannon L.

I couldn't find it anywhere.  I have DISH Network and there are about 4 different PBS stations and none of them listed it.  I couldn't find any information on the website, either--everything there was listed the same as it was on the DISH guide.

I'm bummed. 

That stinks :(.

Have you tried looking up 'Robin Williams' or scrolling through as much of the DISH guide you could on the PBS channels? That's what I had to do to find out when it was being aired where I'm at.

I just checked and it shows that it'll be airing at 3am on PBS via DISH, where I'm located.

Try checking this site out. It's where I was able to look up the schedule.

I saw it. The parts that got me were when he was sharing anecdotes, and his eyes were all squinty and he had this amazing beard and you could tell he was loving remembering the moments.

I thought Pam Dawber was a little 'off' in some parts, but I chalk that up to bad editing, and I absolutely LOVED how everyone was universal in their praise of his talent, and of his humanity, in equal measure. 

• Love 1

I saw it. The parts that got me were when he was sharing anecdotes, and his eyes were all squinty and he had this amazing beard and you could tell he was loving remembering the moments.

I thought Pam Dawber was a little 'off' in some parts, but I chalk that up to bad editing, and I absolutely LOVED how everyone was universal in their praise of his talent, and of his humanity, in equal measure. 

Yea it was really cool.

She didn't seem that off to me tbh.

Same. It was incredible.

I saw this this morning and I had to share. It's a sad reminder of the magic that was lost.

However, it is a beautiful tribute to Robin by an editor.  It made me bawl, but good happy tears to know I was a part of this man's generation.

• Love 3

Willowy, how do you mean "off" about Pam Dawber? My feeling was that some of the speakers were trying too hard, but that's understandable, since they wanted so badly to say lots of good things about Robin. Damn, I wish someone would spin the earth backwards, the way Superman did in the first film, to get back to the week before he ended his life. Then someone could drag him into a mental health facility for him to get some help. Amazing what fantasies one can come up with.

• Love 1

Damn, just rewatched "Authority", the L & O: SVU episode he was in... he was SO good in it. He should have gotten the Emmy. Man will he be missed :(. He was good acting wise in it. So many different emotions, from sadness to outrage. He was one very good actor.

Some of my favorite quotes:

Merritt Rook: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, what evidence does Ms.

Novak have against me? A doctored photograph and a phone card that I bought and gave away as an act of charity.
That's it.
Now, I don't blame Detectives Benson and Stabler for arresting me, or Ms.Novak for putting me on trial.
They're just following orders, like a sheep following a shepherd.
But we're all in danger of being sheep, blindly following the herd, never questioning authority.
It was the great American poet, Wendell Berry, who said it best when he was describing the perils of bowing at the altar of conformity.
"Your mind will be punched in a card "and put away in a little drawer.
"And when they want you to buy something, they will call you.
"When they want you to die for profit, they will let you know.
"So, friends, each day, do something that won't compute.
" Ms.Novak will stand up here and tell you I am guilty.
You must convict me.
Don't be a sheep.
Think for yourselves.
Find the inner courage to act.
Find me not guilty.
Thank you.

Merritt Rook: (in an anguished tone) I put my faith in a little god in a white coat and he killed my wife and son. PUSH THE BUTTON!
Elliot Stabler: (softly with tears in his eyes) No.
(Merritt pushes the button and a female voice screams)
Merritt Rook: (screaming) PUSH … THE … BUTTON!!!
Elliot Stabler: (looks at the button) I can't do it.
Merritt Rook: No? Why?
Elliot Stabler: Too many people have suffered already.
Merritt Rook: Then you, Elliot Stabler, are a human being. Congratulations, you are not a sheep like I was. You're a man. Thank you.

Don't worry Robin, I won't be a sheep. RIP.

Just came across this on Ellen's website, a nice tribute to Robin and Joan.

One of my favorite things in the world is to see comedians make other comedians lose it.  Tim Conway had a knack for that that gives me goose pimples.  There is a scene in this clip that had Ellen just cracking up, pure joy at the humor of this man.  That was great, thanks for sharing this.

• Love 2