Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: Lisa's Journey

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

She is stuck in bed higher than a kite half the time.  Just who was prescribing all those meds?  

Either she goes to several doctors, and gets prescriptions, or she shops online, and orders from places that don't limit amounts of pills, or don't even require a prescription.   She might also buy them off the street.  If someone wants a bunch of prescription meds, they'll find a way.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I thought this episode while disgusting was interesting.  I bet that many of Dr. Now’s patients are just like this, begging  for treatment, but doing absolutely nothing to help themselves.  We were able to see what he deals with.  It’s so sad.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I question her mental stability.  Maybe, she’s had some brain damage from stokes or illness.  

Possible. I bet she's on 20 prescriptions a day for her physical issues including opioids plus psychiatric...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Burning Rubber said:

- she has a child that appears to no longer be in her life for some reason; she only mentioned wanting to spend time with grandchildren.

- her geriatric boyfriend was buried without a service, and no family member was mentioned in the obituary. 

- there were many flies landing on her encrusted legs, there must have been maggots.

- early in the show, many of her leg crevices were stuffed with tissues.

- since she is unable to move from the bed, it probably hasn't been washed in four years, including the disgusting pillows.

- she vacillated between manic prattling about her loser boyfriends to hostile, unprovoked defiance.

- what got her the most excited about getting out of bed is the thought of dumping her elderly boyfriend/caretaker ASAP.

- old dude was a feeder, there cannot be two opinions on the matter.

- she was such a liar, I doubt her story about a doctor ordering her to stay in bed, to the point of also doubting that she was raped. 

- photo included to remind everyone of normal Lisa portion sizes!

20220202_214634.jpg

I paused at this particular moment and told my husband that if I ever needed to use a sheet pan as a plate, to take me out back and shoot me.  

• LOL 23

Any way, can you imagine what her sister or whoever found in that hovel when it was cleaned?

The bedroom was repugnant but I actually noticed once or twice when Randy walked through the family room, that it was actually pretty tidy. There didn't see to be crap all over the floor, the furniture was dated but appeared to be in decent condition. I think that other parts of the house might have been sort of reasonably maintained but just not the bedroom.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

And that was after she talked to the doctor. Usually we get those hauls before the first appointment.

It was also after Randy purged the house of the "bad stuff." When she said that,  I assumed Randy the out the bad foods. But I think she actually meant she ate it all. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Pattycake2 said:

I thought this episode while disgusting was interesting.  I bet that many of Dr. Now’s patients are just like this, begging  for treatment, but doing absolutely nothing to help themselves.  We were able to see what he deals with.  It’s so sad.

It makes me wonder why some people even bother to reach out to Dr. Now when they have no intention of following through.  They have so many PTs, therapists,  and doctors made available and just are so stuck in their misery.  I've noticed how mean and demanding so many of them are.  Ordering people around without pleases and thank yous.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Tuneful said:

Pounder kept blaming her problem on Randy bringing her fattening food and being her "enabler" when she no doubt manipulated and threatened him into doing so.

She was on the phone the entire time he shopped, telling him what to buy. I'm sure there would have been hell to pay if Randy didn't come back with the cart full of sugar and carbs. Then he'd come back exhausted but she did not care.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, FormeryHeavyJ said:

The son is living out the advice of the rock band "Slade" from around 1985....."Run Run Away".

I thought that was by Jefferson Starship, but I see now that one is "Runaway."

Loved Marty Balin. RIP. 

If she hadn't left her bed in three or four years, how was she prescribed all that medicine?  Do I remember correctly that she was in a rehab facility at one point?  Maybe she was given a lot of it there.  She probably needed to stay and full-time care (someone who wasn't wearing oxygen himself), but people cannot be forced to allow someone to take care of them against their wishes.

RIP Randy.  Wherever you are now has to be better than what you left.

• Love 6

She can lay there with her rotting legs all hopped up on drugs.... I don't care. Yes, there are people who fail, many whom are really nice but caught up in addiction....she is a mean, vile POS, who lay there while her boyfriend died. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, nokat said:

It makes me wonder why some people even bother to reach out to Dr. Now when they have no intention of following through.  They have so many PTs, therapists,  and doctors made available and just are so stuck in their misery.  I've noticed how mean and demanding so many of them are.  Ordering people around without pleases and thank yous.

They like the idea of weight loss surgery and the attention that comes from it. Until recently, Dr. Now was the only one on tv and these 600 pounders do like their devices and social media.

They do not want to watch calories, exercise, stop taking their pain meds, or having enablers at their feet. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I watched this last night, I had a hard and frustrating day and just wanted to relax and watch 2 hours of mindless entertainment. Instead, I was riled up and angry at Lisa for 2 hours! What a miserable bitch she was. Not only did she have a piss poor attitude, she was incredibly mean, unstable and a flat-out liar.

I would start singing "Liar liar pants on fire" but that's not applicable because Lisa HAS NO PANTS. 

I don't know where to start, nor would I be saying anything else that hasn't been said. Those legs -- seriously looked like barnacles on the bottom of a boat. 

I can't tell you how stabby it made me to see her move around her right flipper foot when she was talking. Why did that enrage me so much?

It is unbelievable to me that Dr. Now didn't drop Lisa as a "client" as soon as she started lying (or, "playing games" as Dr. Now is so fond of saying) and being absolutely beligerant to the nutritionist. I was yelling at the TV.

The thing that I am the MOST grateful for was that with the exception of the fish tank, there were no cats or dogs in the house. No children in the house. Although, I hope the fish are being cared for. 

RIP Randy. 

• Love 14
7 hours ago, nokat said:

She was on the phone the entire time he shopped, telling him what to buy. I'm sure there would have been hell to pay if Randy didn't come back with the cart full of sugar and carbs. Then he'd come back exhausted but she did not care.

I also wondered what the grocery tab must have been for all those "processed food" delights!  Didn't see ONE FRESH ITEM. 

What must their food bill be???  In the hundreds and hundreds of $$$$ per week.  How does this compute??  Even with Food Stamps.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I also wondered what the grocery tab must have been for all those "processed food" delights!  Didn't see ONE FRESH ITEM. 

What must their food bill be???  In the hundreds and hundreds of $$$$ per week.  How does this compute??  Even with Food Stamps.

I don't think people get that much per week to be able to eat like that. I think there is a bit of over do for the show, but she certainly isn't a light eater! I was at the store the other day and they had frozen pizzas for $1 but they were pretty thin. I wonder if they normally hit up food banks? 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, hookedontv said:

It is unbelievable to me that Dr. Now didn't drop Lisa as a "client" as soon as she started lying (or, "playing games" as Dr. Now is so fond of saying) and being absolutely beligerant to the nutritionist. I was yelling at the TV.

I noticed that we saw the nutritionist, then a “4 hours later” screen and the physical therapist showed up. I would love to hear what the nutritionist told Dr. Now to get him to send PT over there that quickly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

On the giant-leg-lymphedema scale, Lisa ranks somewhere between season 5's James K (hopeless) and Tracey (real progress).

Actually, I really really wanted to make Lisa watch Tracey's story — just to see that it could be done, even with legs like that. Tracey (45, from Ohio) ended up losing 200 lb and getting her first lymphedema surgery by the end of her episode. She had huge legs and tiny flipper feet, but she was still mobile despite the pain, and she rode for 20 hours in the back of a car to get to Houston.

Lisa ("I dunno") didn't seem very strong on imagination. Maybe it would have helped to show her the example of someone in a similar situation.

...No, I don't really think it would have helped much.

Sigh.

RIP Randy.

WHERE'S MY RESPECT??? 😵

2AD3A8C6-4B86-4A43-9A3F-EDC4D799F7D3.jpeg

• Love 7

Her name is Lisa Barnett Ebberson. She has an active FB account. She was vaguely "looking for help" January 27th in some group post. People are bashing her on her private page because, of course, it's set as public. 

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I just went grocery shopping. Meat is expensive but I bought lots of vegetables and fruit (no grapes :P ) for a week for probably a quarter of what she spent on cereal (which is expensive if you don't buy the off brands.) I buy big bags of brown rice and various beans that I cook in an Instant Pot (I love how easy it is). Grease is not a flavor.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SomeWords said:

On the giant-leg-lymphedema scale, Lisa ranks somewhere between season 5's James K (hopeless) and Tracey (real progress).

Actually, I really really wanted to make Lisa watch Tracey's story — just to see that it could be done, even with legs like that. Tracey (45, from Ohio) ended up losing 200 lb and getting her first lymphedema surgery by the end of her episode. She had huge legs and tiny flipper feet, but she was still mobile despite the pain, and she rode for 20 hours in the back of a car to get to Houston.

Lisa ("I dunno") didn't seem very strong on imagination. Maybe it would have helped to show her the example of someone in a similar situation.

...No, I don't really think it would have helped much.

Sigh.

RIP Randy.

WHERE'S MY RESPECT??? 😵

2AD3A8C6-4B86-4A43-9A3F-EDC4D799F7D3.jpeg

Did Tracey ever have WLS?  I think she was unique to this show regarding her issues and profound weight loss.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Yokosmom said:

Well I wanted a discussion of those legs as they looked life threatening. What were  those encrustations? Why were they turning black later on in the episode? Also, how has she not died from a bedsore by now? Three years in bed? I had a wheelchair bound relative killed by a bedsore and believe me, he was clean and well cared for. 

I did a little googling, and one possibility that came up was a vein condition called stasis dermatitis. "In areas where the skin is discolored the skin will often become inflamed, irritated, and itchy. [...] The word “stasis” refers to the pooling of blood that occurs when the veins are not working properly. The word “dermatitis” refers to inflammation of the skin." One of the pictures in that link has a similar blackish discoloration on the leg (though it doesn't look quite so...scaly).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Occasionally the universe sends us a reminder that the medical world is not a just one. Think of all the kind grandpas and hopeful cancer survivors who've died of Covid by the hundreds of thousands. But even that evil virus couldn't kill Lisa. She's abused her body so severely for so long, I guess I shouldn't be surprised she had more lives left in her. Maybe she's immortal.

• Sad 1
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, snarkish said:

Her name is Lisa Barnett Ebberson. She has an active FB account. She was vaguely "looking for help" January 27th in some group post. People are bashing her on her private page because, of course, it's set as public. 

Yes, live-in help in return for free place to live, but that sounds like a terrible plan for the people who move in.    I guess we know where the two ladies who moved in after Randy died came from.   

Randy could have been shopping at one of those grocery outlets, instead of the regular grocery store.    They often carry a lot of off brands, at cheap prices.  

No, Tracy lost a lot of weight, and was having lymphedema removals, and Dr. Now said she didn't need WLS, and would be fine if she stuck to her nutrition program.    I think she's the only one who lost a lot, and resolved her issues without the weight loss surgery.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
On 2/4/2022 at 5:19 AM, nokat said:

I'm starting to think that this show has jumped the shark and the recent seasons' terrible and outrageous poundticipants are deliberately chosen for ratings.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, readheaded said:

I'm starting to think that this show has jumped the shark and the recent seasons' terrible and outrageous poundticipants are deliberately chosen for ratings.

Someone else pointed out this is become the Jerry Springer Show for the morbidly obese.  It is worse than a freak show.  Dolly, the gospel singer, Eat & Cry Eat & Cry and now this disaster.  I got so pissed watching the nutritionist attempt to do her job with a petulant 5-year old Blobzilla I turned it off.  I hardly EVER do that.

On the plus side of this year (is there a plus side????) I have to give MASSIVE props to the snarker who came up with Rainbow Not-So-Bright for Dolly.

• Love 10
21 hours ago, readheaded said:

Agree. It's similar to what happened on the various hoarding series--going for sensationalism. HIgher and higher up the gross scale we go, with (for the hoarders) closeups of insects; rodents; dead cats; toilets that haven't been cleaned in decades; piles of soda bottles full of urine; etc.

I guess no way could they and the Pounder Hounders show a less-severe issue that many viewers could actually relate to (for themselves or someone they know) and that could be wrapped up in an episode. I say, let this strategy backfire on them. They're put up people who are unlikeable and who virtually no one roots for, and who in some cases have criminal and/or racist records.  Yet the producers don't do the most rudimentary background checks that most employers do now. 

Edited by Tuneful
  • Love 5

With the Covid restrictions and shut downs, the producers are showing anyone who will keep on filming, even if they're not good candidates for Dr. Now's Da Vinci robot.  

I know we've had some outrageous programs the last two seasons, but with months of shut down, and the production company having to test constantly, I think they're showing us a more realistic sample of what Dr. Now's 600 lb. patients are really like.      I think we were only getting the really interesting ones, before, and now they're accepting anyone who will be filmed.   

On this episode, I think they were filming with a tripod setup, and monitoring from outside the house when Randy fell over, and I bet they're the ones who called the ambulance, since Lisa wouldn't call until she needed an ambulance.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

So I grew up in the town where Lisa lives. Did a little digging and she owns that house (it’s only about 3 blocks from my childhood home and I walked by it on my way to school). It’s always been a dump. I remember her son being in school off and on. Never knew his mother was like that but also never saw her at any school events…shocking, right? As far as I know, he is not around that town anymore. Randy was a greeter at Wal Mart. I refuse to speak ill of the dead but they deserved each other. 

• Useful 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I am bummed, well maybe not from the sounds of it, but my DVR didn't record this episode, must have been when I called and complained to Dish about my ever rising bill and lack of Fox for the last 4 months, I usually watch these on Saturday afternoons after I have done errands, cleaning and laundry. Thank you to the poster who mentioned the supersized episode on Thursday. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I am bummed, well maybe not from the sounds of it, but my DVR didn't record this episode, must have been when I called and complained to Dish about my ever rising bill and lack of Fox for the last 4 months, I usually watch these on Saturday afternoons after I have done errands, cleaning and laundry. Thank you to the poster who mentioned the supersized episode on Thursday. 

You cleaned and did laundry? What are you doing here. :D It wasn't that good of an episode.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

When she was yammering away about her extensive and odd love life I thought it was funny how she said she didn’t find Randy attractive at first.

Seriously, like she is a supermodel. So delusional.

I thought it was funny how she told stories about four different guys and then she said something to the effect of, and then I turned 21…

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Someone up above asked a question about why some of these people even bother to go to Dr. Now when they have no intention to follow his advice. Well, he does give them a book to read (with his picture on it prominently displayed on their coffee tables.) I think they feel by displaying it and maybe even reading it, they will magically lose weight.

I can compare this to back in the early 80's when VCRs were all the rage. I bought several different work out tapes so I could look like the person making the tape and possible have "buns of steel." I watched those tapes several times a week from start to finish. Guess what, they made no difference in my fitness or body shape or weight. I guess you have to do MORE than just WATCH them to get any results!!

• LOL 10
  • Love 2