Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Gifted Program

• Start Topic

Janine convinces Ava to start a gifted program at Abbott led by Jacob. However, when some students begin to feel left out, Gregory and Janine put their heads together and come up with a solution. Elsewhere, Barbara pushes a hesitant Melissa to start dating again.

Airs February 1st.

• Love 2

Well, look at Gregory actually taking a real interest in the school, the children, and its programs for once. Welcome to Abbott Elementary, G!

Ava Eva Coleman, huh? I think I'll call her Ava Evil Coleman. She really needs to stop pulling children out of class.

Leave it to the smart kid of offer up a dose of realness to Ava.

Lovely little Sidney? When she told the snake to "fly, little birdie"? I thought, "I'm glad God made you pretty 'cause he didn't make you smart".  Although, she did catch on to addition and subtraction in the end. I was proud of her.

Love how impressed the custodian was with Malcolm (or entirely different reasons than everyone else, of course).

Still love Janine's enthusiasm, but..again. What is she wearing?

Jacob? Lordt! I don't think I'd have the patience.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

Her clothing choices have got to be intentional but I don’t get it.

I’m petrified of snakes. I could not even watch the scenes with them.

Melissa and her ex seem to have a nice relationship. I liked that moment of vulnerability they showed with her.

LOVED the boy calling Ava out. “You don’t do anything!”

• Love 16

I liked this episode, even though it didn't have as many laugh-out-loud moments as other episodes. My favorite moment was the last scene when Janine said "What?" to the camera after talking about Gregory.

And I liked the cook coming to claim his potatoes. 

The gifted program issue hit home. My kids went to public school, and they were both high-achieving. When they finished their work early, their teachers would have them help other students. And yes, sometimes grade other kids' worksheets. LOL. A few other parents and I advocated for getting gifted services in our school. We felt our children deserved the resources and opportunities to stimulate them intellectually and help prepare them for later education. They shouldn't miss out just because we couldn't sent them to private school or a "rich" public school. 

I understood Janine and Gregory's point that "non-gifted" kids should also have fun and stimulating educational experiences. But the two are not mutually exclusive. 

Those snakes freaked me out, even though I know they were fake. Not as bad as mice or rats though. If there were rodents on screen, I would have turned the episode completely off.

Edited by topanga
  • Like 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Her clothing choices have got to be intentional but I don’t get it.

My sister was an elementary school teacher (now a librarian) and I've always wondered at her wardrobe choices. I don't mind, except when she decides to send me an outfit! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Gregory really stood out in this episode, and I loved him saying that non-gifted students should also have stimulating educational experiences.

I was so happy and surprised to see Richard Brooks as Barbara's husband.

I like all of the characters on this show--except Janine.  She gets on my nerves. 

• Love 6

Was Barbara's husband a teacher, too?  She said he wore a uniform.  I think I missed an important visual clue during their cute lunch scene.  It was nice to get a little more background about the veteran teachers apart from their interactions with the younger staff.  

For a second, I thought Malcolm made Ava consider her horrible work ethic, but I guess it's too soon for her to have that epiphany.

I continue to be so impressed by the respectful way the writers depict teachers and staff at Abbott Elementary (administration notwithstanding).  

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

Ha, I usually don't notice what people are wearing but I actually loved the cardigan she had on early in the episode. I also liked Gregory's coat in their last scene.

My favorite part of the episode was the look of dawning realization on Ava's face when Malcolm revealed that he saw through her, followed immediately by her trying to get rid of him.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
35 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

Elementary teachers often wear teacher clothes.  It's a combo of needing to dress professionally, not look like the kids and being able to have a full range of movement while also being easily cleaned.

Sure, but Melissa and Barbara and Gregory and Jacob wear simple clothes - dress pants and button-downs or sweaters (I liked the yellow Barbara had on, although I couldn't wear it - it looked great against her skin). Like, they probably shop at Old Navy or Macy's. Janine wears shapeless, often too-big clothes in wild patterns. None of the other teachers dress like Janine, which is what makes me think her wardrobe choices are saying something. I'm just not sure what.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I didn't even notice her clothes. That probably says something about me.

You might wanna get that checked out. It's weird. /Ava 

But for real, loved this episode. Ava being in a sorority was a good reminder that this zany woman is college educated lol. I also loved Greg taking an interest, and Janine's burgeoning crush on him.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, Court said:

Y'all. I love this show. A couple weeks ago, there was a snake in another teacher's classroom. Most of our kids ran out. I hate snakes but another teacher and I caught the thing in my McDonald's cup. I still wonder how it got into our building!

When I taught middle school, a classroom had a pet snake. I refused to go in the room. Then, the snake got out. I was too scared to go to the bathroom for at least a week. The students had a bake sale to raise money for a bake sale. I bought nothing. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Vandy10 said:

I, too, have lots of thoughts about gifted programs. In addition to the testing biases you mentioned, I also get annoyed with the deep misunderstanding most people have of giftedness. True giftedness is different from just being smart or a good student. Gifted students often struggle in school, don’t finish work early, don’t necessarily test highly, and many have other special needs on top of being gifted (twice exceptional children).

I was one of those kids in a gifted program (the only one in my grade, actually) and it was two days a week I went to another teacher to do projects for an hour. I was basically just in the regular class with more work. And my regular teachers found ways to keep me occupied and learning, from extra assignments to harder books to read and so on. I sat in the regular class but I did more work than the other kids. Done might complain about doing more work but it kept me busy and my mind working. When I got to junior high and didn't have the extra work, I was so bored. I went an entire school year without taking homework home because that I always got it done during the school day. 

The point of this, I guess, is that when my teachers were allowed to modify things within the classroom to fit different kids, it helped without selecting out some kids. I know some kids were also given different projects if they were good at different things, or needed more help with different things. But I never knew who was advanced and who was getting help because the teachers had a variety of things for each lesson, so no one stood out. Teachers see the kids, and I think (as a non teacher but former student) that if teachers have resources to do that, everyone is better off.

We also had chicks in all the classrooms. They aren't that e pensive to let everyone do that. I really feel like Ava's greed and miserliness is played for laughs, but feels real to how too many districts act. Can't spend money. Then we won't have money.

• Love 11

Not as wonderfully funny as last week's episode, but still great.

Ava was in rare form this epsiode with young Malcolm (shout out to the Malcolm X glasses!).  He had her number just as much as Courtney had Janine's.  Also have to give a shout out to Janelle James' acting.  In the scene where Malcolm says she doesn't do anything her face falling in slow motion was perfect!  So well done.  That is an emmy worthy reel right there.

re: Janine's clothes -- I have given Janine's clothes some thought esp after this episode.  I headwank that Janine is most definitely the type of have idolized one of her own teachers, probably an elementary school teacher.  And she idolized her so much so that she was the person who influenced Janine's own decision to go into teaching and now she has patterned herself after this teacher down to her clothes.  The teacher may have been older so the clothes on her may have been more age appropriate than they are on Janine, but to Janine -- this is what a good teacher looks like.  It might also explain some of her hero worship of Barbara, she's just wired that way.

I liked the message about Gifted programs.  I liked the way the show approached it.  It really can start off as a good thing that meets the need of the more advanced students.  But people are pre-disposed to become clannish and separating out groups like that aids in creating biases and inequalities even if not intended.  Even the name 'Gifted' is very loaded in that sense.  And I say this as a person who was in the gifted program in elementary school.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:29 AM, topanga said:

My favorite moment was the last scene when Janine said "What?" to the camera after talking about Gregory.

Yup.  My lil' shipper heart grew a bit here.

• Love 22
21 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Sure, but Melissa and Barbara and Gregory and Jacob wear simple clothes - dress pants and button-downs or sweaters (I liked the yellow Barbara had on, although I couldn't wear it - it looked great against her skin). Like, they probably shop at Old Navy or Macy's. Janine wears shapeless, often too-big clothes in wild patterns. None of the other teachers dress like Janine, which is what makes me think her wardrobe choices are saying something. I'm just not sure what.

I think that the actor is just incredibly short and it's very hard to find flattering clothes that work on her.  She probably has very distinct ideas about what works.  This is how I think of the Olsen twins too.  Quinta is 5 feet tall.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

re: Janine's clothes -- I have given Janine's clothes some thought esp after this episode.  I headwank that Janine is most definitely the type of have idolized one of her own teachers, probably an elementary school teacher.  And she idolized her so much so that she was the person who influenced Janine's own decision to go into teaching and now she has patterned herself after this teacher down to her clothes.  The teacher may have been older so the clothes on her may have been more age appropriate than they are on Janine, but to Janine -- this is what a good teacher looks like.  It might also explain some of her hero worship of Barbara, she's just wired that way.

That makes sense. My teachers in the 80s wore clothes of the same shape, though with less wacky colors and patterns.

• Love 4

I don’t think the clothes are supposed to signify anything other than Jeanine is different from the other teachers—she’s a different generation, new to teaching, got more of that newbie enthusiasm, etc. I don’t think it’s any deeper than that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Janine lost some major credibility with me when she said she hadn’t heard about Dr. Gardner’s multiple intelligence theory. 

She has a quirky wardrobe like a few teachers I know. My fave so far is the pink sherpa jacket. 

• Love 8
On 2/4/2022 at 3:16 AM, Vandy10 said:

I don’t think the clothes are supposed to signify anything other than Jeanine is different from the other teachers—she’s a different generation, new to teaching, got more of that newbie enthusiasm, etc. I don’t think it’s any deeper than that.

She's the same generation as Jacob and Gregory and as new to teaching as they are, but they dress "normally."

On 2/3/2022 at 9:41 PM, Megan said:

I know right? Her outfits seem completely normal to me.

Personally, I think her clothes are ugly. She looks like she's channeling the worst of 1960s hippie fashion.

I just binged all the episodes to date. I like the show, and it's made me laugh out loud several times. 

Even though Melissa seemed to talk smack about her ex-husband, I really liked their conversation at the end. I'm glad they didn't make him a villain. 

I also like that these are flawed characters with vulnerabilities, although we haven't seen Jacob fleshed out yet. I want there to be more to him than awkward-white-guy-with-liberal-guilt-teaching-at-a-majority-Black-school.

I'm not really feeling Gregory. He doesn't have the idealism of Janine or Jacob nor the competence of Barbara and Melissa. He's too cynical and jaded already, and in the episode where all the kids were giving him drawings, I felt like he just wanted to throw them away because he couldn't be bothered. 

"A.P. Bio" could have taken a lesson from this show on how to make teachers interesting. On "A.P. Bio," when any of the other teachers were involved in a subplot, the episode came to a screeching halt. 

What do all the teachers teach?

Barbara -- kindergarten 

Janine, Melissa -- 2nd grade

Jacob -- 6th grade

Gregory -- ?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm not really feeling Gregory. He doesn't have the idealism of Janine or Jacob nor the competence of Barbara and Melissa. He's too cynical and jaded already, and in the episode where all the kids were giving him drawings, I felt like he just wanted to throw them away because he couldn't be bothered. 

Yea, Gregory doesn't work for me either. The only times I like him is when he's looking at the camera or flirting with Janine.

• Love 2
On 2/2/2022 at 8:22 PM, Vandy10 said:

I, too, have lots of thoughts about gifted programs. In addition to the testing biases you mentioned, I also get annoyed with the deep misunderstanding most people have of giftedness. True giftedness is different from just being smart or a good student. Gifted students often struggle in school, don’t finish work early, don’t necessarily test highly, and many have other special needs on top of being gifted (twice exceptional children).

Yep. That was me. High IQ, hard core ADHD (although not diagnosed until I was an adult). Reading at a college level in second grade...but couldn't finish a worksheet on time to save my life.

My 2nd grade teacher referred me to be tested for the gifted program--that's how I know what my reading level was that year. But just the year before, my 1st grade teacher had referred me to be tested for special ed and held back a grade because I just literally could NOT complete any work in class and I was always just staring off into space. She told me to my face that she thought I might be "mentally disturbed." Nice thing to say to a six-year-old! 😕

So, yeah. School was...interesting. LOL.

ETA: I started with the GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) program with my district in third grade. It was one full day per week in a self-contained classroom at another school...all of the gifted kids from one grade level throughout the entire district came on any given day. It was all completely self-paced, project-based learning. And I *LOVED* it. It saved my life. I lived for those days. When I remember school, it's pretty much the only positive memories I have.

Edited by auntiemel
  • Love 10

I like cynical Gregory and he seems to be interacting more with the other teachers.  I think any hesitancy on his part is because he might not feel too comfortable yet because he is a substitute and his future there is uncertain.  

• Love 9

I never forget that Gregory wanted to be principal without ever being a teacher. I don't know how they can rehab his character fully, unless they somehow make me forget that brand of arrogant BS. I try to forget, but every time he acts aloof of apathetic, it's all I can think of and it makes him seem more like a snob than in insecure newbie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I never forget that Gregory wanted to be principal without ever being a teacher. I don't know how they can rehab his character fully, unless they somehow make me forget that brand of arrogant BS. I try to forget, but every time he acts aloof of apathetic, it's all I can think of and it makes him seem more like a snob than in insecure newbie.

From what I recall, he was offered the job, but they pulled the offer because the current principal had some dirt on someone. He’s apparently more qualified than she is. There are people with admin degrees in education who have very little experience, if any, in the classroom. There are people in district office positions who have very little, if any, experience in the classroom. I feel his character represents them, although most of the ones I know like that wouldn’t sub because they would think that’s beneath them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

5 hours ago, Neiman said:

From what I recall, he was offered the job, but they pulled the offer because the current principal had some dirt on someone. He’s apparently more qualified than she is. There are people with admin degrees in education who have very little experience, if any, in the classroom. There are people in district office positions who have very little, if any, experience in the classroom. I feel his character represents them, although most of the ones I know like that wouldn’t sub because they would think that’s beneath them.

@Neiman -- I think you're right, but even if you have a degree in education administration, you would have some teaching experience. Gregory doesn't look much older than Janine or Jacob (Jacob seems older than Gregory), so how much time could he have spent as a teacher?  I just googled "education administration" and this website popped up: 

Education Administration Degree Programs:

An education administration degree focuses on the administration and management of education systems. Education or school administrators work in many areas, including admissions and data management, guidance and career services, and finance and human resources. The goal of an education administrator is to organize and manage their administrative department while facilitating the objectives of the institution for which they work. These administrators work in daycares, PK-12 schools, and colleges and universities, both private and public.

An education administrator commonly has experience working as a teacher and in most cases has earned a master’s degree in education administration or a related subject. A degree in education administration is a good fit for those who are seeking administrative roles in education, both in educational institutions and in public or private organizations involved in education and policy. An education administration degree program can also be a good fit for those looking to change careers from another field and enter the education space. Read more about how to launch a career in this field on our guide to becoming a school administrator.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/2/2022 at 1:57 PM, tennisgurl said:

I'm a weirdo who likes snakes, if I was a kid in that classroom I probably would have grabbed one and tried to put it in my pocket. 

Me, too. Goes back to when I was a pre-teen in the 70s and the boys brought out someone's rainbow boa to terrorize us girls and I wasn't having it. I asked to hold it, though I wasn't sure I wanted to, but it was soft and warm and I loved seeing the boys crestfallen (and later one lived in the coral on our house and we bonded), so when the little girl picked one up, I said, "Yay...NO!!!!!!" And laughed.  

I like the relationships between the teachers and support staff (but stop taking potatoes, Janine)

This show is still so feel-good for me. 

• Love 2

I love this show ya'll.

I think the wardrobe choices are deliberate. 

It shows that the character has an amazing attitude but can sometimes be clueless.

It also showcases that she is not flush in money department...particularly with that free spending boyfriend.

• Love 8

I recently read an interview with Quinta re: Janine's clothes.  She is aware of the discussion aound Janine's clothes on the social media.  She said that Janine's clothes are a deliberate choice.  And... what I found most interesting and very in character... Janine thinks she's killing it when it comes to fashion.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I recently read an interview with Quinta re: Janine's clothes.  She is aware of the discussion aound Janine's clothes on the social media.  She said that Janine's clothes are a deliberate choice.  And... what I found most interesting and very in character... Janine thinks she's killing it when it comes to fashion.

Is it wrong that I want to say "That's so Janine" about a fictional character?

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
On 2/2/2022 at 9:28 AM, LydiaMoon1 said:

Well, look at Gregory actually taking a real interest in the school, the children, and its programs for once. Welcome to Abbott Elementary, G!

Ava Eva Coleman, huh? I think I'll call her Ava Evil Coleman. She really needs to stop pulling children out of class.

Leave it to the smart kid of offer up a dose of realness to Ava.

Lovely little Sidney? When she told the snake to "fly, little birdie"? I thought, "I'm glad God made you pretty 'cause he didn't make you smart".  Although, she did catch on to addition and subtraction in the end. I was proud of her.

Love how impressed the custodian was with Malcolm (or entirely different reasons than everyone else, of course).

Jacob? Lordt! I don't think I'd have the patience.

Didn’t love the expressed humor to animal abuse but the rest of the show was good. 

• Love 1

I'm a teacher who ended up pulling my 2e kid (profound giftedness/autism) out of public school because there was just no way they could meet the needs of my little statistical outlier, who was neither gifted nor autistic for just a couple of hours a week. 

I did giggle at the snakes-because my identified PG/ASD kid adores reptiles, and hatching chickens is normal kindergarten stuff, but hatchuhf snakes would be much more interesting. Although everyone would have noticed the difference between snake eggs and chicken eggs. Snake eggs are shaped differently (more cylindrical than ovoid) and are leathery. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Another problem with some of the processes for identifying advanced students is that students can qualify for an advanced class with superior nonverbal reasoning scores and average verbal scores. Then they end up in an advanced class where there is a lot of emphasis on higher level language arts skills and activities. It doesn't go well. I agree with the thoughts many others have shared already as well. 

• Love 2
On 2/2/2022 at 7:51 AM, Empress1 said:

I’m petrified of snakes. I could not even watch the scenes with them.

Me too - I covered the lower 2/3 of my IPad screen until I was sure they were gone. 

On 2/2/2022 at 9:42 AM, Empress1 said:

The way he said “zero po-ta-toes” made me laugh.

And then the adorable “Yayyyyy!” from Sidney … because she doesn’t like potatoes!

I’m really enjoying this show (other than the snakes). I’ve heard a few good things and finally decided to check it out. I’m a big fan of Tyler James Williams going back to Everybody Hates Chris, if I’d realized he was in this I would have started watching sooner.   

Edited by Irish Mermaid
Typo
  • Love 5

I liked this episode. The PIE acronym explains so much about Janine. She doesn't give up I want to meet Melissa's ex-husband and Barbara's other daughter. I want to know how Ava graduated college either she cheated or she's pretending to be dumb.

• Love 3
On 2/3/2022 at 12:22 PM, Bookish Jen said:

I really like it when Gregory brought up the concept of multiple intelligences. There are so many ways to be smart and gifted. Teachers and administrators need to be more aware of that.

I liked that scene, too. I think he had a lot of great points in this episode. I wasn't in gifted programs in school, so I was always curious what the kids who were in them did all the time. It's interesting to get the stories from those who were part of those programs. 

But yeah, I think it's good to find ways to nurture everyone's strengths. Unfortunately so many schools are so loaded down with having to tackle so much other stuff with kids nowadays that they don't have the time (or means, or money, or whatever) to do such a thing. 

On 2/3/2022 at 12:01 PM, DearEvette said:

Yup.  My lil' shipper heart grew a bit here.

Same :D. That scene with them in the parking lot was so cute and natural and charming. 

I also really liked the storyline about Melissa and that guy at work, and Barbara trying to encourage her to give it a go. I really like the friendship between them. Melissa's conversation with her ex at the end was touching, too. Aw. 

I also loved the scene with Barbara and her husband. Just a few moments of them interacting and I could already picture the long, happy history they shared :). I can totally see why Barbara adores him. 

Add me to the list of those who didn't give any noticeable thought to Janine's wardrobe one way or another. It seems pretty much "stereotypical teacher" to me :p. 

• Love 1