Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Tried to make galoshes fit goulash, but no joy. LOL.

LOL So did I! And I never did get to Wellington although I know both the food and the boots.

My ts's were blue flu, yellow-bellied, jodhpurs, Morningstar, radio, and horse - why the contestant said mare instead of horse for that one is beyond me.

I did not get FJ and never would.  I did get the tie breaker.

At first it looked like the game was going to belong to Emily but the other two turned things around and it became a very good competitive game.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, ABay said:

Yes, go-go boots were not thigh high. Maybe they were Before Their [writers] Time.

The only thigh highs I remember seeing were in strip club/disco scenes in movies and tv. Never on the street (well, normal streets). 

There were over the knee boots at some point that I vaguely recall, but I don't remember them being called go-go boots.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Okay, so last night's game was a tale of two halves for me.  First round was great.  I only ran 2 categories (Color Me Bad & "The" End) but got a boatload of stumpers: go-go/engineer/jodhpur boots, Higgins, super collider (was this the one Dr. Sturgiss worked on?), Morningstar, radio, blue flu, yellow-bellied and clothe.

Double Jeopardy, on the other hand, was much less successful.  I only ran Active Bible Verses (WTF?) and got Martin Scorsese and horse.

I had not the slightest idea for FJ.  There was absolutely nothing in that clue which would've made me think Waiting for Godot.  I was surprised that all 3 contestants got it right.

18 hours ago, Roaster said:

Ugh, what is Ken Jennings doing on my screen?

Saving those of us who dislike her from Mayim Bialik as host.

17 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I felt bad that Erica led throughout and lost on a tiebreaker, but why didn't she bet just one dollar more? I loved her glasses!

I'm glad she lost because it did not look like she finished writing "Godot" to me.  At least it looked no more finished than a contestant's "Tubman" a few weeks back, and the judges ruled that one incomplete.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It’s obvious in hindsight, of course.

How so?  (Honest question, not snark, because I saw no connection.)

17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

ANOTHER bible category??!?!??!

My thoughts exactly.

My "Waiting for Godot" story: I used to work at Borders Books in Newark, Delaware.  Every year we got students coming in for books on their schools' reading lists.  Waiting for Godot was a popular one.  One day a pair of teenage boys came in and asked for the book, pronouncing the "T" at the end (as in go-dot).  I couldn't resist the urge to have a little fun and asked them if that was anything like "Waiting for DelDot" (the Delaware public transportation service).  All I got from them was a couple of blank looks.  Oh well, I thought it was funny.  At least they weren't asking for Aunty Gone by Sophie Keyes - a coworker had someone do that once.

16 hours ago, ByaNose said:

My Philly girl disappointed me with her wager. I also hate ties. There has got to be a better way. How about do-winners? I know people hate give a trophy to everyone but I hate the tie breaker. 

They used to have cowinners when there were ties.  The producers changed that ages ago.

15 hours ago, PBnJay said:

And I got it easily from recently seeing Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider multiple times.

Between that movie and the Katherine Anne Porter novel "Pale Horse, Pale Rider", it was an instaget for me.

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

but the tie-breaker was pretty much an instaget -- I assumed it was the president, and that happens to be one of the time frames where you can give me a year/years and I can tell you who was in the Oval Office.

I knew that Robert Caro had written multiple books about LBJ, so I only needed the author's name for that one.

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

But, if you look at it that way, there's always only one correct answer to the question and in the past they've always asked for the BMS.

Not always.  See my previous mention of Adams and Roosevelt as accepted answers in a "First President" category.  NO BMS for either one.

• Love 5

Imagine being the guy who nearly lost the game because he couldn't remember 'circumcision.'  Lucky for him the woman with the awful glasses made such a terrible bet, because she knew the tie-breaker as well.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

My feelings re: last name duplicates, in particular this Mt. Rushmore instance. True, there is only one Roosevelt on Mt. Rushmore, but how do we know that the contestant knows which one it is if there isn't a BMS????

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Didn't the contestant who landed on the daily double spot have less than $1000?

Ken didn't say the wager could be up to $1000.

No. All the contestants who hit a DD had more than $1,000. In the J! round, Erica bet $600 when she had $1,200.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

That pause *always* made me nervous, especially when a contestant was responding to a daily double.

The pause for a ruling irritates me to no end. Maybe the pause will improve with experience, but right now Mayim is too slow too often. A lot of the time, a contestant will try to BMS or change their answer. I wonder what would happen if the contestant changed their answer to something incorrect? 

(Kind of reminds me of LeVar’s hosting. While a popular option for host, I feel like maybe his mis-speaks, word stumbles and time-lags were either not edited or were less frequently edited than other host options.)

• Like 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I wonder if they hit an all time high in TSs last night.

No.  A while back, there was a game with a lot of TS, prompting me to look up (and post about) the record, but of course I've forgotten what it was and had to look it up again:  24.  There was a 2015 game with 24 TS, one of which was FJ.  And a game in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions (2005) also had 24 TS (plus all three DDs were missed, and only one player was left standing for FJ [he got it right, at least]!).

• Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I ran colors, but I'm sure none of you could hear me yelling the answers because all y'all were yelling too loudly yourselves. 😉
I also got TSs of jodphur (but I said it "jodphur" so probably not?), radio, Berlin, Morningstar, and collider (or would I have gotten a BMS and, if so, would I have said "super" collider?).

No FJ for me. I guessed A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (which at least was just a year off) and You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (IDK, does his sad Christmas tree make an appearance?).

19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I also knew the Miranda clue was referring to Sex and the City, but I didn't know who played her

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I never watched the series, but knew the characters' names - but not which actress played which role. I tried watching it, just wasn't my cup of tea.

I never got into Sex and the City either, but I came up with Nixon because she ran for Governor of NY in 2018, but do not ask how my brain made the leap, although I think it had something to do with IMDb-ing her.

I think Teddy Roosevelt deserved a BMS. I'm guessing Ken decided against it due to all the TS answers? Or for time? Or is not his call to make?

I read the Winds of War books - my dad was a big fan and for awhile I read all the books he did (even the ones that he said I couldn't - but he didn't know that). I didn't know he wrote the others (or didn't remember). I got Marjorie Morningstar because that's a direct translation of her name.

Similarly, Mom had all the Woulk books on the shelf. I don't think I read them, but through osmosis I got Marjorie Morningstar and Berlin. I looked Herman Woulk up on Wikipedia because it seemed like his name was mentioned at home. It's possible he or his parents at least lived near and/or worked alongside my parents or their parents, in NY and/or Europe.

Spelling theater "theatre" is one of my pet peeves. It's always seemed to me just a way to make people think it's more classy. Not being a classy person, but definitely a theater person, it just rubs me the wrong way.

I still pause on whether to spell it theatre or theater, and also do that with a lot of other words that are spelled the British way in Canada since I wrote a lot of letters when I lived there for 2+ years without even running water or electricity, so no snobbery involved, except of the hippie variety. 😉

Edited by shapeshifter
line spacing
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Imagine being the guy who nearly lost the game because he couldn't remember 'circumcision.'  Lucky for him the woman with the awful glasses made such a terrible bet, because she knew the tie-breaker as well.

Did anyone notice the little hand motion he was making? Kind of like a circle? I thought that was kind of funny and endearing. I related to it because I often use my hands to try to remember a word or action. He knew what it was, the word just wasn't coming to him.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I still pause on whether to spell it theatre or theater, and also do that with a lot of other words that are spelled the British way in Canada since I wrote a lot of letters when I lived there for 2+ years without even running water or electricity, so no snobbery involved, except of the hippie variety. 😉

I don't think of individuals being snobbish in that regard - more like institutions, small town theaters, etc. But having a reason to spell it either way makes a lot of sense too.

I took advantage of that when I was in a German realschule - they taught British English, and I'd say "that's the way Americans spell it" mostly when it was true, but on occasion, I wasn't honest. The teacher hated me from the get-go anyway. Still, when the observers were there, guess who she called on most of the time?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

RE theatre/er, the director of our high school program taught that "theatre" referred to the art or the practice thereof, while a "theater" was a performance space.  But all the movie houses I attend seem to use re.  Interesting.  I'll be keeping my eyes out.

RE co-champions, I would not be opposed to them either.  I suspect the main reason that rule changed is that the show does not want to pay more than one player's score in cash. (I've forgotten the details but I recall reading that Arthur Chu bet to tie several times during his run, and the rule changed not long after.)

It's also been pointed out that each slot occupied by a co-champion means one fewer person, of the tens (hundreds?) of thousands who apply, can play.  There aren't very many contestants a year who have lost in a tiebreaker - maybe they could be included in future "Second Chance Tournaments."

• Like 5
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I never got into Sex and the City either, but I came up with Nixon because she ran for Governor of NY in 2018, but do not ask how my brain made the leap, although I think it had something to do with IMDb-ing her.

I didn't watch the show, but picked up through cultural osmosis that Sarah Jessica Parker's character was Carrie and, apparently, that Cynthia Nixon's was Miranda because an image of Nixon popped into my mind immediately at that clue.  Except I could not get her name from my brain to my mouth in time.  "The one who ran for governor of NY" is as far as I got before the contestant answered.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

The miniseries The Winds of War was heavily branded as Herman Wouk's,  so even though I never watched it I was familiar with his name. I did not know that he had written the Caine Mutiny and Marjorie Morningstar. 

I own all his books and they are a fabulous read. The follow-up book to The Winds of War is War and Remembrance, another favorite. HIGHLY recommend all of his writings.

5 hours ago, ABay said:

Yes, go-go boots were not thigh high. Maybe they were Before Their [writers] Time.

Correct, no go-go boots were thigh high. Knee high, yes. Just above ankle, yes. Thigh high, NO. That stupid clue deserved to be a TS. Actually, it should have not been a clue at all. Ask for over-the-knee boots if you want to buy a pair of thigh-high boots.

11 hours ago, Katy M said:

But, if you look at it that way, there's always only one correct answer to the question and in the past they've always asked for the BMS.

No "they" haven't! At least, not according to posters here. No BMS is one of the biggest complaints in this thread.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

No, no, no, Ken! Yogi "THE" Bear is not his name and should not be considered correct! It's not like the Smokey (the) Bear controversy---he is only Yogi Bear.

• Like 6
  • Applause 7
  • Love 3

90%(!) / 70% / 80%

Holy cow! I only missed three clues in the first round! Ran Cartoon Theme Songs, 20th Century America, Hybrid Animals, and Lock, missed one Key and two San Diego News Clues. Didn't run anything in DJ but missed only one in National Parks (thanks to them including Kruger in the South Africa clue or it would have been two), Let's Build a House, Possessive Lit, and Under Quarantine, two in Word Origins, and three in Movie Directors (frankly I'm surprised I got any in that one). Got 2/3 of the DDs and my TSes were llama/alpaca, candidate, loophole, Schnauzer (DD, I grew up with a miniature one), and cantilever (not even sure where that was hiding in my brain). And yay for the Jersey boy. I won't complain about having him on my screen another day.

FJ was an instaget, thanks to the Hilarious World of Depression podcast and Rhett Miller:

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, illdoc said:

No, no, no, Ken! Yogi "THE" Bear is not his name and should not be considered correct! It's not like the Smokey (the) Bear controversy---he is only Yogi Bear.

I thought the same but it did seem like Ken paused before declaring him right, so I’d guess that was a ruling that came to him from the powers that be. I still don’t think it’s right, though. I’m just not going to blame Ken.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

super collider (was this the one Dr. Sturgiss worked on?)

Yup!

In popular culture

A Hole In Texas is a 2004 novel by Herman Wouk, which describes the adventures of a high-energy physicist following the surprise announcement that a Chinese physicist had discovered the long-sought Higgs boson. Parts of the plot are based on the aborted Superconducting Super Collider project.

On the January 21, 2021 episode of Young Sheldon the supercollider is mentioned when Sheldon Cooper's (Iain Armitage) mentor Dr. John Sturgis (Wallace Shawn) gets a new job there. A subsequent episode on the April 1, 2021 episode shows an exterior shot of the facility with Dr. Sturgis receiving a phone call from Sheldon's grandmother (Annie Potts).

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, illdoc said:

He hesitated, so I thin that was the judge's call.

1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

No "they" haven't! At least, not according to posters here. No BMS is one of the biggest complaints in this thread.

Recently, but I don't remember it being so in years past.  

I got FJ, believe it or not.

I got the missed clues of candidate and loophole.

i got the entire categories of 20th century, cartoons, and hybrid parents right.

I had a great first round. I only missed 5 clues total, a so-so second round and I got FJ, putting me solidly in the black.

• Applause 3
(edited)

I saw OPERA as FJ category and thought, oh, crumb. Then I saw the clue and almost started laughing. I just watched the Seinfeld rerun, "The Opera," where they are going to see ... Pagliacci! Elaine is dating Joe Davola who dresses up like a clown (Pagliacci!), calls Elaine "Nedda," and comes to the theater (er, not re) after threatening to kill Jerry. GREAT episode and an easy FJ for me.

seinfeld.thumb.jpg.7e0c55f6c6f35712487c2093182e3b52.jpg

The shallow side of me will enjoy the new champion, as long as he lasts.

Edited by PBnJay
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

Am I the only one bugged by the pronunciation of dash-und without a Trebekian correction?  Or am I the outlier?  It is dox-und, right? I mean, we had one many decades ago and I never heard it pronounced otherwise until recently. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Am I the only one bugged by the pronunciation of dash-und without a Trebekian correction?  Or am I the outlier?  It is dox-und, right? I mean, we had one many decades ago and I never heard it pronounced otherwise until recently. 

Yes, I totally caught it, which told me that player doesn't know dogs. People say "dash-und" because it's spelled that way, dachshund. The word is German, not English, and is correctly said "dok-sund. But as we know, how words are pronounced isn't a hard-and-fast rule on this show.

I HATED that entire category of mixed breed mutt dogs like they are something special. Those writers need to get over it, a dog of two or more breeds is a mutt/mongrel, not some fancy schmancy hybrid, and they do not deserve an entire category on a show aimed at people who have some modicum of intelligence.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7

I can just barely handle accepting Smokey the Bear, but this Yogi the Bear shit has got to go.

The candidate TS surprised me, as did phonograph and valley a bit, but that's it; much better game than yesterday's, even with poor Catherine basically being a non-entity.  I correctly predicted Frank Capra would be a TS.

I got all but four in the first round; I joined the contestants in being stumped by Kiwanis and Dr. Seuss, plus missed Schmigadoon! and the Animaniacs (I've never heard of either one).

I also only missed four in DJ (two each in lit and parks), which is fantastic.

I groaned aloud at seeing Opera as the FJ category, but that Pagliacci is about clowns is one of the things I know (thanks to Seinfeld), so that was an instaget.

On a shallow note, I loved what both of the women from the San Diego TV station were wearing (well, the part I could see, obviously).

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I amazed myself by getting FJ tonight!  It was not an instaget, more of a, "Dammit, what's the one with the clowns?  Pa, pa, oh, Pagliacci!"

I also got the TS of Kiwanis, Frank Capra, schnauzer, valley, and cantilever.

Agreed that it is not Yogi THE Bear, just Yogi Bear, and that response should not have been accepted.

For those of you who haven't seen Schmigadoon, I highly recommend it if you like musicals.  It's hilarious!

• Applause 1
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

plus missed Schmigadoon! and the Animaniacs (I've never heard of either one).

I couldn't think of Animaniacs although I have heard of them and was able to picture Dot. Really enjoyed Schmigadoon (and am looking forward to season 2, Schmicago) so that was an instaget for me.

I thought Ken paused for longer than necessary before he accepted the response of Woolworth's and I wasn't sure why.

I confused myself in this quarantine clue:

A 1793 yellow fever epidemic struck this city, then the U.S. capital, forcing the government to evacuate to Germantown

I thought it was saying that it struck one city and subsequently struck a second city, the US capital, so I ignored the date and guessed Baltimore.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I HATED that entire category of mixed breed mutt dogs like they are something special. Those writers need to get over it, a dog of two or more breeds is a mutt/mongrel, not some fancy schmancy hybrid, and they do not deserve an entire category on a show aimed at people who have some modicum of intelligence.

Only two of the clues were about dogs. The definition of hybrid includes: the offspring of two plants or animals of different species or varieties, such as a mule (a hybrid of a donkey and a horse). and: a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture. "the final text is a hybrid of the stage play and the film"

So everything in the category was a hybrid by definition and as I said, only two were about dogs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Isn’t there some rule about initial articles being optional, so maybe that was the rationale for accepting “Yogi [the] Bear”?
I don’t agree with it; I’m just suggesting a reason.

In contrast, we always referred to the stores by their Trade Name: Woolworth’s.

I had time to yell both “Dr. Seuss!” and “Theodor Geisel!” for that TS. 

I assumed those HYBRID ANIMAL PARENTS were made up for fun as I gleefully called out their hybrid names, but I guess made up things can be real.🤔

I did alright considering how distracted I was, but then I didn’t have to beat anyone’s buzzing abilities.  
It was nice that poor Catherine got to save face at the end by knowing FJ and getting second place. 
I did not know FJ.

And, yes, I mentally corrected the mis-pronunciation of dachshund for the contestant. I try to be generous to those who learned words by reading because they had no other experience with the term.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought Ken paused for longer than necessary before he accepted the response of Woolworth's and I wasn't sure why.

I’m guessing it’s because the name of the chain of stores is “Woolworth” not the pluralized “Woolworth’s,” however the wording of the clue would allow for the plural form to be correct:

”In 1960 4 students in Greensboro, N.C. staged a sit-in at this store's whites-only lunch counter, sparking other sit-ins in the South.”

So the answer of “Woolworth’s (stores)” would be correct.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Sandiscot said:

The theatre/theater in San Diego where the Queen unveiled a statue of William Shakespeare was named after the Globe in London, but is called The Old Globe. 

Now, being three theatres (yes, I'm one of those who's always spelled it that way), the collective goes by "The Globe".  I've never heard the individual one referred to in the clue as anything other than "The Old Globe" and I agree that was the proper response, but I can maybe see why they accepted "The Globe" instead, especially with how lenient they've become since Harry Friedman's departure (not that there weren't accuracy and inconsistency issues during his long tenure; there certainly were, but there seems to have been more of a loosening trend with Mike Richards and then Michael Davies).

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

The contestant actually said “das-cund”, which doesn’t even follow the spelling and greatly annoyed me and my little “dox-und” (yes, that’s how he likes it pronounced).

1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

I’m guessing it’s because the name of the chain of stores is “Woolworth” not the pluralized “Woolworth’s,” however the wording of the clue would allow for the plural form to be correct:

Where I grew up, there was one of those stores with its original sign, name written in old-fashioned script above the door: “Woolworth’s 5 and 10 cent Store”. I think the the cent symbol and/or ampersand may have been used, not sure, but that was definitely the wording, and everyone just shortened it to “Woolworth’s”. I would have yelled as loudly as I did at the “Yogi” answer if Ken The Jennings had ruled it incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

If you call him Yogi The Bear, it totally screws up the Yogi Berra pun.

The Animaniacs theme song has been running through my head ever since the clue.

I wish we still had Woolworth's.  Especially their "Luncheonette."

Back in the mid-70s, I lived near a shopping center that had a movie theater and a Woolworth's. I got to the movies too early, so I went into Woolworth's and was browsing up and down the aisles, pretty aimlessly, when I became aware I was being followed. Apparently, aimless wandering is a sign of potential shoplifting.  I bought a candy bar and left. I was kind of insulted.

FJ was another insta-get for me. Bet the rest of the week sucks.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got Marjorie Morningstar because that's a direct translation of her name.

A recent silly Facebook challenge invited you to change a word from a movie title to a fruit, so I offered "Marjorie Mangosteen".

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
12 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My "Waiting for Godot" story: I used to work at Borders Books in Newark, Delaware.  Every year we got students coming in for books on their schools' reading lists.  Waiting for Godot was a popular one.  One day a pair of teenage boys came in and asked for the book, pronouncing the "T" at the end (as in go-dot).  I couldn't resist the urge to have a little fun and asked them if that was anything like "Waiting for DelDot" (the Delaware public transportation service).  All I got from them was a couple of blank looks.  Oh well, I thought it was funny.  At least they weren't asking for Aunty Gone by Sophie Keyes - a coworker had someone do that once.

It seems book store workers often face this problem. I once read where a man dialed the Strand used book store in NYC to ask if they had a copy of "Bartleby the Scrivener", as his son needed it for school. "Yes". "Would you put it aside for me?" "I would prefer not to". The man was outraged, and demanded to speak to the boss.

Less jocularly, I once read how good the librarians at the NYPL are at finding things, for instance, when a student of evolutionary biology needed a seminal work called "Oranges and Peaches".

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Those writers need to get over it, a dog of two or more breeds is a mutt/mongrel,

My dog is mixed breed.  Please do not call him a mongrel again.

This is the only time I will be polite about this.

• Applause 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

A pretty decent game for me last night.  I got the ts's or missed DDs of Schnauzer, llama/alpaca, Frank Capra, valley, candidate, loophole, and All the King's Men.

Opera is not a great category for me but I am not totally devoid of knowledge either and it turned out to be one I know.

Hard to believe South Africa didn't have television until 1976.

Poor Catherine! I felt so bad for her and was glad that she at least survived to play FJ, and got it right.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I confused myself in this quarantine clue:

I got that one mostly because I read this book a few years ago.

image.png.c1032f9135fffcab90b6353341378e5a.png

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wish we still had Woolworth's.  Especially their "Luncheonette."

The small town my dad grew up in, and my grandparents still lived in when I was a kid, had a Woolworth's. When we were old enough we used to walk the few blocks from their house into town and buy candy and stuff. I don't think they still had a lunch counter then.

There wasn't a whole lot else to do around there.

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Animaniacs theme song has been running through my head ever since the clue.

My roommate and I used to watch the Animaniacs every day when I was in college. Then she would watch Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and I would go visit our friends across the hall or otherwise find something else to do.

6 hours ago, Montreal Meany said:

Less jocularly, I once read how good the librarians at the NYPL are at finding things, for instance, when a student of evolutionary biology needed a seminal work called "Oranges and Peaches".

There's a long-running joke in the bookstore biz about people looking for a book and all they know is that the cover is blue. There is a meme floating around the internet where a store did a display of blue books with that on the sign. One of my prouder moments in my bookstore career was the day I found a book on very little more than "it's red." (I think the only other info they had was that it was on a certain display table in the recent past and a very general idea of the subject. I don't remember what the book was now.)

image.png.6fa4d9152da86c455a7856c35812a4d8.png

• Like 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I just saw this article about what the judges have allowed or rejected for final jeopardy answers.  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jeopardy-viewers-debate-spelling-rule_n_62d7ac86e4b06e213fb896dd

I am one of those people who does not have good fine motor control, so my writing is not great even under the best of circumstances.  Instead of having people write their answers, why can't they type it? I realize that there is a certain amount of fudging going on here, when a contestant is not exactly sure of the answer but still.  

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Agreed that it is not Yogi THE Bear, just Yogi Bear, and that response should not have been accepted.

Agree with @shapeshifter that perhaps the show's leniency about articles missing before titles makes them lenient about articles added to the middle of names. As not right as that is.

11 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Only two of the clues were about dogs.

Thanks for clarifying. Still, two too many.

When I was a kid I would walk downtown on a regular basis to get books at the library. I'd also go to Woolworth's to get the Top 10 song list for that week and maybe buy a 45, plus I always went downstairs to see the animals they had for sale. Once they had a monkey and I was somewhat amazed that he could pee out of his cage bars to hit anyone who walked by much less stood near.

Funny how some memories stay with through the decades.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I amazed myself by getting FJ tonight!  It was not an instaget, more of a, "Dammit, what's the one with the clowns?  Pa, pa, oh, Pagliacci!"

That's essentially how I got it. I wasn't sure that was the name of the opera but I said it anyway and got FJ!

12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I couldn't think of Animaniacs although I have heard of them and was able to picture Dot. Really enjoyed Schmigadoon (and am looking forward to season 2, Schmicago) so that was an instaget for me,

My husband was the at-home parent when my kids were watching Animaniacs, so I was seeking for it, but didn't reach the answer.

8 hours ago, Montreal Meany said:

It seems book store workers often face this problem. I once read where a man dialed the Strand used book store in NYC to ask if they had a copy of "Bartleby the Scrivener", as his son needed it for school. "Yes". "Would you put it aside for me?" "I would prefer not to". The man was outraged, and demanded to speak to the boss.

LOL. I use that quote from Bartleby a lot (not to anyone's face, generally), but it's for my own enjoyment and I don't expect people to recognize it. Though in a book store...

I looked up cross breeding which reads:

Crossbreeding is the breeding of two different breeds from the same species to create a new breed. This is usually done to produce offspring with superior traits.

My take from that then is that cross-bred dogs aren't mongrels or mutts (mutt btw means mongrel). At least to the world at large. That being said, I shuddered at the chiweenie. That seems like a terrible combination of traits. Poor puppy.

I did pretty well - I ran Quarantine, which tracks as I'm obsessive about germs and such (even well before the Pandemic). I almost ran a couple others, which I don't recall at the moment.

So glad to have Ken back. I don't hate Mayim, I just prefer Ken.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

My take from that then is that cross-bred dogs aren't mongrels or mutts (mutt btw means mongrel). At least to the world at large. That being said, I shuddered at the chiweenie. That seems like a terrible combination of traits. Poor puppy.

I've seen pictures of chiweenies; some are very cute and some are very odd-looking. I hope the weenie part is at least a miniature doxie. I always feel like breeding a tiny breed with a significantly larger breed is probably a bad idea. (I at least hope the larger breed is the mom.)

• Like 4