Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 7/9/2022 at 8:43 AM, shapeshifter said:

Perhaps Sodom is more well known than Gomorrah because it is easier to spell? 🙃

So of course I’d choose the latter word remembering that spelling doesn’t always count in FJ. 😂

I did get Edinburgh, YSL, Alan Jackson, Glenda and Jackson. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Spelling as per Browncoat.
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I did get Edinburg, YSL, Alan Jackson, Glenda and Jackson. 

This reminds me that I think a Country Singer category would rock, and end up being five triple stumpers like that famous Football category a while back. No one recognized Chris Stapleton and no one knew Alan Jackson yesterday. There are a ton of fun clues that could be written for that category. Keb' Mo' was recently mentioned here; he would make an excellent clue as well.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

and was sad to see no one knew Glenda.

I recognized her from the cinema, although I had no idea she was involved in politics.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Same. I don't need a "previously on" for Jeopardy, nor do I need to know who's in the lead at all times. 

It's necessary filler because the amount of time actually spent asking and answering questions is negligible compared to the half hour TV time slot.  Presumably some study has shown that this is what the target demographic wants.  It's also one of the reasons I only watch sporadically - I'd much prefer the show if they actually just concentrated on the trivia.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

So of course I’d choose the latter word remembering that spelling doesn’t always count in FJ. 😂

I did get Edinburg, YSL, Alan Jackson, Glenda and Jackson. 

I’m going to pick a nit — it’s Edinburgh, with an h.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Mr. ECM usually reads the newspaper while I watch Jeopardy, but last night he was in an exceptionally chatty mood, for some reason, and I didn't have the heart to shush him. Especially since he's been working hard repairing the a/c in my vehicle. 

Besides YouTube, where can I find the game online? I see Archive game mentioned a lot, where can I find this? TIA

I was glad to see one of the contestants answered FJ incorrectly like me. I said Babel. 😂

Edited by ECM1231
  • Like 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Besides YouTube, where can I find the game online? I see Archive game mentioned a lot, where can I find this? TIA

Tha archive is here:

https://www.j-archive.com/

Click on the current season and it'll take you to the game list.

Or this link will take you to the categories for the most recent game:

https://www.j-archive.com/showrecentcategories.php

Click on the show date at the top and it'll take you to the full game. Hover over the dollar amount for the clue in the grid to reveal the answer (or tap it if you're on mobile). (Unfortunately you can't see images/videos in clues.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Tha archive is here:

https://www.j-archive.com/

Click on the current season and it'll take you to the game list.

Or this link will take you to the categories for the most recent game:

https://www.j-archive.com/showrecentcategories.php

Click on the show date at the top and it'll take you to the full game. Hover over the dollar amount for the clue in the grid to reveal the answer (or tap it if you're on mobile). (Unfortunately you can't see images/videos in clues.)

Thanks so much!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Perhaps Sodom is more well known than Gomorrah because it is easier to spell? 🙃

And it has a so-called sin named after it.  Although, I have a friend who used to think gonorrhea was named after Gomorrah.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Speaking of J! Archive, it says July 7 was "Jimmy McGuire's last game as a member of the Clue Crew."

I found this:

Clue Crew

Very little actual news but info and conjecture can be found in the comments.

I didn't find any sort of official announcement.

Too bad nothing was announced on air.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 2
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Trey said:

I found this:

Clue Crew

Very little actual news but info and conjecture can be found in the comments.

I didn't find any sort of official announcement.

Too bad nothing was announced on air.

He's still stage manager, as far as I can tell...

edit: J! wiki says Clue Crew from 2001-2022 and became Stage Manager in season 38 after the previous SM retired.

https://jeopardyhistory.fandom.com/wiki/Jimmy_McGuire

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1

Sodom and Gomorrah are always mentioned together, but if you read the whole story leading up to the destruction, Sodom is the city that's more prominent.  Lot lives in Sodom, the angels come to visit him in Sodom, it's the men of Sodom who come to Lot's house and demand that he send the angels out to them.  Lot and his family flee from Sodom when the fire and brimstone come down.  Sodom is where everything happens.  Frankly, it's weird that Gomorrah gets destroyed as well.  As far as we're told in the Bible, Gomorrah didn't do anything! 

• Like 2
  • Useful 7
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maybe I'm just too much of a local, but I'm surprised no one seemed to think of the Bronx. Even if you don't know there are 5, isn't the Bronx widely known, enough so that you'd expect it to be mentioned?

Well, once the answer was established as the Bronx, I smacked my head and said "of course, the BRONX" - but I didn't come up with it. I've never paid much attention to the 5 boroughs, though I am very familiar with their names (Staten Island threw me though, didn't know it was one of them.)

So the short answer is yes, I agree that it should be expected, but for me at least, I didn't even get the answer to the one borough with which I have a personal connection.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maybe I'm just too much of a local, but I'm surprised no one seemed to think of the Bronx. Even if you don't know there are 5, isn't the Bronx widely known, enough so that you'd expect it to be mentioned?

Yes you are.

As has been shown time & time again not everyone knows everything no matter how obvious it may be to you or I, which it wasn't in this case for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

I started out strong on Thursday, running Borough, blank&blank, Salad Dressing & Rhyme, and getting Bronx (it was the only one left, for freak's sake!) and Winston.  And while I had no chance of running Hemingway, I could've gotten the DD if I'd said For Whom The Bell Tolls instead of A Farewell To Arms, but I always say the wrong one.

Then it went downhill in DJ.  I only ran "G"eography, although I did get Vienna and Gothenburg.

I said Scrooge for FJ.  I thought the date might be too late, but couldn't think of anything else.

Friday was better.  I ran Scandinavia, Weather, Cold War, Extinct and Jacksons, and got Edinburgh, both Alan and Glenda Jackson (I was bummed no one got her), Mary Todd Lincoln and Yves St. Laurent.  I would've run Crosswords "C" but couldn't come up with cassowary, and I misunderstood the mercury clue and thought they wanted another kind of fish, d'oh.

I said Babel for FJ.  I can never remember which book has Sodom and Gomorrah in it, and besides, I always think of them together, so since the clue only wanted one city, I didn't think it could be one of them.

• Like 5
On 7/8/2022 at 10:25 AM, Trey said:

My only ts was MacBeth.  I thought it very odd that the contestants didn't get it, given Duncan as the predecessor.

I should've gotten that one, but was too busy trying to think of who came after MacBeth to realize that they wanted MacBeth.  I didn't get to Malcolm in time to say that either, though.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:51 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

The one I had doubts about was Rick and Elsa instead of Rick and Ilsa.

I questioned that as well.  It's Ilsa, but maybe pronounced Elsa?  It's been a long time since I've seen Casablanca.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:31 PM, Bastet said:

But other than that, I only missed Morbius (never even heard of it) in the first round.

I said Moebius.  Close, but no strip, alas.

On 7/9/2022 at 10:19 AM, Clanstarling said:

I said Jericho because it was the only "single" city I could think of (as opposed to Sodom and Gomorrah), but I knew it was wrong because I was pretty sure the walls didn't come tumbling down in Genesis. (as for the meteor vs an earthquake - if it wasn't a direct strike, I would assume it felt like an earthquake)

I eliminated Jericho precisely because I know Joshua got there after the Exodus from Egypt, so it was too late for Genesis.

On 7/9/2022 at 10:19 AM, Clanstarling said:

True, but without the knowledge about the study, you're left to simply pick and choose one of the two cities. Which seems poorly designed to me.

I agree.  I think it was a poorly written clue.

On 7/9/2022 at 4:18 PM, Leeds said:

It's necessary filler because the amount of time actually spent asking and answering questions is negligible compared to the half hour TV time slot.  Presumably some study has shown that this is what the target demographic wants.  It's also one of the reasons I only watch sporadically - I'd much prefer the show if they actually just concentrated on the trivia.

This is why I often watch a recording of Jeopardy - I fast forward past pretty much everything but the game itself.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 7/9/2022 at 5:11 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

And it has a so-called sin named after it.  Although, I have a friend who used to think gonorrhea was named after Gomorrah.

There's an early SNL sketch about the Sodom Chamber of Commerce trying to come up with a non-sodomy publicity campaign which references Gomorrah selling itself as more family friendly.  I remember thinking "but what about the gonorrhea?".  Needless to say, your friend was not alone, but in my defense, I was a kid when I saw it.

On 7/9/2022 at 8:25 PM, MrAtoz said:

Sodom and Gomorrah are always mentioned together, but if you read the whole story leading up to the destruction, Sodom is the city that's more prominent.  Lot lives in Sodom, the angels come to visit him in Sodom, it's the men of Sodom who come to Lot's house and demand that he send the angels out to them.  Lot and his family flee from Sodom when the fire and brimstone come down.  Sodom is where everything happens.  Frankly, it's weird that Gomorrah gets destroyed as well.  As far as we're told in the Bible, Gomorrah didn't do anything! 

I avoid reading the Bible like the plague.

2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Yes you are.

As has been shown time & time again not everyone knows everything no matter how obvious it may be to you or I, which it wasn't in this case for me.

Anyone who watches Law & Order should know about the Bronx.  Apparently it's quite murder-y.  Or roots for the New York Yankees.  That's pretty much how I know about it.  I tend to think most Americans SHOULD know the 5 boroughs of NYC simply from watching television; it's not particularly specialized knowledge.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I questioned that as well.  It's Ilsa, but maybe pronounced Elsa?  It's been a long time since I've seen Casablanca.

I hear both, depending on who's speaking.

• Useful 2
16 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Anyone who watches Law & Order should know about the Bronx.  Apparently it's quite murder-y.  Or roots for the New York Yankees.  That's pretty much how I know about it.  I tend to think most Americans SHOULD know the 5 boroughs of NYC simply from watching television; it's not particularly specialized knowledge.

Of course I know of the Bronx but I had no idea there were only 5 boroughs or what they were and in my defense I'm not American, so I'm sticking with that one.

• Applause 3
5 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Of course I know of the Bronx but I had no idea there were only 5 boroughs or what they were and in my defense I'm not American, so I'm sticking with that one.

I grant you an exemption from my looking askance. 😀

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
On 7/9/2022 at 4:20 PM, Browncoat said:

I’m going to pick a nit — it’s Edinburgh, with an h.

That was my fault for not proofreading. It auto worded me and I should have corrected it to Edinburgh. Thanks for pointing that out. It made me look stupid. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

That was my fault for not proofreading. It auto worded me and I should have corrected it to Edinburgh. Thanks for pointing that out. It made me look stupid. 

As long as you don't pronounce the G I think you can be forgiven!

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Meh. Ran nothing tonight. TSes were South Dakota (DD), dead, Marquis de Sade, W. S. Burroughs. Could not come up with FJ and felt really stupid when it was revealed. Gah.

Once again...rooting for the champ, but liked new guy, too.

Might have to root for the Jersey boy tomorrow. He's not too far from me.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

I couldn't come up with FJ either.  It was so far off my radar that I'm not sure I ever would have thought of it.

And the only TS I got were "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood," Marquis de Sade, and "Saving Private Ryan."

• Love 1

I didn't have a clue about FJ.

I got the missed clues of South Dakota, dead and Marquis de Sade.

I got the entire categories of Great Britian and familial prhases right.

Great first round, OK second round, lost FJ, ended up in the red.  Again.  I hope nobody ever comes after me for my Jeopardy losses.

• LOL 2
(edited)

I did get FJ, probably because the Porgy & Bess song "Summertime" is one I still sing to fussy babies or in the shower or when walking on a beach alone with waves crashing.

And also probably because, like @mertensia mentions below, it is set in the South.

BTW, I had pre-guessed Cats.

The final scores were kind of crazy pants, but I guess Steve knew the formula:
https://www.j-archive.com/wageringcalculator.php?a=23000&b=13800&c=7400&player_a=Robert&player_b=Steve&player_c=Aleithia
🤔

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I got two right that I didn't know that I knew - I don't remember the second one, but how the hell I knew to say "Cicero" is beyond me.

I felt the same!   I was snapping my fingers “ oh fuck, fuck, fuck…Cicero!”  Absolutely no idea in which dusty corner of my noggin that was lurking about.  “Thank you” to whomever the awesome middle or high school teacher was that managed to etch that into my memory. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, South said:

“Thank you” to whomever the awesome middle or high school teacher was that managed to etch that into my memory. 

I can't even claim that. It must be that I learned "Cicero" from watching Jeopardy!

They showed a promo during tonight's show, showing the empty studio seats and announcing that tickets for Season 39 are now available on the website.

And I got to thinking... would Mayim be any better in front of an audience?  I hope to high heaven we don't get to find out.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I got two right that I didn't know that I knew - I don't remember the second one, but how the hell I knew to say "Cicero" is beyond me.

I knew that one!  But I’m currently re-reading Colleen McCullough’s Masters of Rome series so…

• Love 1

Not a great game for me.  My only ts's were dead, Cicero, and Saving Private Ryan.

Porgy and Bess never entered my mind, nor did anything else.  Later in the evening I turned on my golden oldies station and there was Sam Cooke, singing a lovely rendition of Summertime. If only I'd heard that earlier.

Can we blame the Jeopardy! curse for the sequoias being in danger from forest fires?

• Sad 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I got Porgy and Bess but I call foul because it is done more as an opera than as a Broadway show. The clue says "most revived show in Broadway history" so I feel that the revivals should be on Broadway not the Met.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I follow Jeopardy on Twitter and they said that starting next month the show will be in front of a live audience.

We also had an announcement/ad during the show airing.  I forget the exact wording but they panned the camera over the empty seats and said something like "it's not the same without you" and said something about the live audience coming back.

14 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I said “hoes before bros” instead of “sisters before misters.”  And I was serious.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I really want to know more about your family, since it was a family word category... 

Isn't "bros before hoes" the original version of that phrase?  And "sisters before misters" is a later version (which actually fits the clue)?  So I can see how some version of the former would come to mind.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I avoid reading the Bible like the plague.

🤣👍

17 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I said “hoes before bros” instead of “sisters before misters.”  And I was serious.

I did too. I didn't know what the category was (tuned in mid show due to a TIVO failure), but still, it seems someone should have thought that it would be a possible answer. I mean, there's been a hoe incident  before. 😉

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I did get FJ, probably because the Porgy & Bess song "Summertime" is one I still sing to fussy babies or in the shower or when walking on a beach alone with waves crashing.

"Summertime" was my husband's signature song in a band he played in our early days (in fact, I just listened to his version in the morning - I love hearing my man sing). BUT, since it was a bluegrass band (the music for the lyrics was "normal" - the instrumental breaks were bluegrass), I didn't really relate to Porgy and Bess - and in any case, I didn't relate Porgy and Bess to South Carolina or the "most revived shows" So I didn't get it.

11 hours ago, South said:

I felt the same!   I was snapping my fingers “ oh fuck, fuck, fuck…Cicero!”  Absolutely no idea in which dusty corner of my noggin that was lurking about.  “Thank you” to whomever the awesome middle or high school teacher was that managed to etch that into my memory. 

I got as far as "C." Sigh... but that's better than before. I'm slowly learning to think of Cicero thanks to Jeopardy.

We record Jeopardy and tune in about half way through so we can ff through the commercials. Unfortunately, for the first time ever, our TIVO "service" wasn't available (couldn't even pause). So we missed a lot of single Jeopardy. Never did get back on our feet - so it wasn't a great game for us.

Edited by Clanstarling
Because "revised" is not the same as "revived"
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1