Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, Ailianna said:

For Book of the Dead, I said The Book of Going Forth by Day. Not to be one of those people; I've just been reading A lot of Egyptian history/archeology lately, and that's the actual translation if the title, but you rarely hear it in the non-academic arena. Would they have ruled that correct?

Given that it can be found in a fairly simple search, I think it would. It might have been a change to the score later in the show.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:34 PM, illdoc said:
On 7/14/2022 at 10:19 PM, 30 Helens said:

Morticia

Addams (2 Ds).

But pronounced the same, so Morticia is a good answer. Wrong, but good!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

But pronounced the same, so Morticia is a good answer. Wrong, but good!

Yeah, I knew it had 2 d’s, I just included it for humorous effect. I actually debated between Gomez and Morticia, but decided Morticia sounded funnier. 😜

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
(edited)

Friday was an okay game for me.  I only ran 3 categories (Bite Club, Ovid and Get Better) and only got 6 stumpers (black mamba, Down East, pall-mall, NCIS, Leander and Metamorphoses).  I'd have run the Opera category like usual if it hadn't been for Dead Man Walking - I had no idea where that takes place.

I did get titanic, after first discarding the possibility of the clue referencing the Olympian gods.

On 7/15/2022 at 7:44 PM, annzeepark914 said:

An anaconda in Africa? Really???

Did anyone hear me screaming black mamba?

Was that you I heard?  I thought it was the echo of me screaming it?

Edited by proserpina65
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I'd have run the Opera category like usual if it hadn't been for Dead Man Walking - I had no idea where that takes place.

I didn't know Dead Man Walking had been made into an opera, but I know the notorious Angola prison is in Louisiana, so I got that one.

I also managed to correctly guess Wagner, just because everything in that clue sounded German and I happen to - thanks to J! - know he was German, so he's my first guess for German composers.

Other than that, I blew the category.  As is typical with opera, although sometimes I surprise myself.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I didn't know Dead Man Walking had been made into an opera, but I know the notorious Angola is in Louisiana, so I got that one.

If I'd had time to think about it, I probably would've gotten it but since it wasn't FJ, there wasn't enough time for my brain to puzzle it out.  (I don't like modern opera, so that didn't help.)

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Was that you I heard?  I thought it was the echo of me screaming it?

Yes, it was. What's even nuttier is, while I'm yelling the correct response to the three silent contestants, I'm waving my arms, gesturing dramatically. I look like the mad conductor.

• Wink 2
  • LOL 7

Ugh, what is Ken Jennings doing on my screen?

William was down to nothing two-thirds of the way through the game but made a big comeback.

A tie-breaker?  I think we have noticed before: the tie-breaker clues are always easy.  The main thing is to ring in first.

• Love 3

Lots of TS's! I knew blue flu, yellow-bellied, go-go boots, engineer boots, clothe, radio, Berlin, Morningstar, Scorsese, balderdash, funambulist, and horse.

I felt bad that Erica led throughout and lost on a tiebreaker, but why didn't she bet just one dollar more? I loved her glasses!

I thought William wasn't going to be around for FJ, let alone win!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

God, I did terrible tonight (67% / 57% / 62%). In J! I ran Good History, missed one in Color Me Bad and "THE" End, two in Boots and Wouk Mob, and four in TV (never seen any of 'em**). In DJ I ran Active Bible Verses (of all things), missed one in Americana, two Trophy Husbands, three in Boots and Words, and four in Feelin' Independent. On the up side, I got all three DDs and several TSes - Abraham, yellow-bellied, go-go boots, jodhpurs (I even spelled that right on the first try!), Berlin, supercollider, and pale horse.

And I got FJ! I thought of Waiting for Godot immediately for some reason, had no reason think it was right, but didn't come up with anything else so I went with it. (Did not get the tiebreaker, though.)

**Well, I'm sure I saw an episode of Magnum P. I. here and there when I was a kid, but it wasn't exactly must-see TV for me at age 5-12... I also knew the Miranda clue was referring to Sex and the City, but I didn't know who played her.

• Like 3

I said the cherry Orchard.  I was trying to think of something that had to do with trees. Wouldn't have gotten it in a million years anyway.

I got the missed clues of blue flu, jodphurs, clothe, radio, Berlin, Morningstar and horse.

I got the entire category of Bible verses right.

I couldn't think of Supercollider, but i knew it from Young Sheldon. Also missed something else Iknew, but I forgot what.

23 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I also knew the Miranda clue was referring to Sex and the City, but I didn't know who played her.

Same here.  I just knew it wasn't SJP.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

One of those ts I got thanks to Agatha Christie and her mystery, Ride A Pale Horse. Another was thanks to my grandfather's favorite word: balderdash! Then, radio, jodphers and Morningstar (they weren't Wouk fans). Ill-fitting jacket aside, I'm glad Ken is back. He doesn't draw attention to himself. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Apparently I need to brush up on theatre, because I did not get FJ.  It’s obvious in hindsight, of course.

So many TS!  Ones I got include Higgins, blue flu, yellow-bellied, go-go boots, engineer boots, jodhpur, radio, Berlin, supercollider, and horse.

• Love 3

ANOTHER bible category??!?!??!

How fancy to spell FJ "Theatre."  I thought it was an insta-get. I watched a documentary series on a London production of the play starring Patrick Stewart and Simon Callow. Throughout the entire 6 episodes, it was pronounced GODoh by everyone.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

...while I'm yelling the correct response to the three silent contestants, I'm waving my arms, gesturing dramatically.

That never works for me either...

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

I couldn't believe how much faster the show was with Ken at the helm. It seems like there's always a pause while Mayim waits for the person in her ear to tell her if the answer is correct.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 14

My Philly girl disappointed me with her wager. I also hate ties. There has got to be a better way. How about do-winners? I know people hate give a trophy to everyone but I hate the tie breaker. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, anniebird said:

I couldn't believe how much faster the show was with Ken at the helm. It seems like there's always a pause while Mayim waits for the person in her ear to tell her if the answer is correct.

I was just going to say the same thing.  The show was faster, smoother and more enjoyable.  And Ken didn't laugh at every daily double. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, anniebird said:

Came here just to say this but you beat me to it.  So much faster and more pleasurable.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, anniebird said:

That pause *always* made me nervous, especially when a contestant was responding to a daily double.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Roaster said:

Ugh, what is Ken Jennings doing on my screen?

Making PBnJ very happy.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

One of those ts I got thanks to Agatha Christie and her mystery, Ride A Pale Horse.

And I got it easily from recently seeing Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider multiple times. A young girl in a cabin is reading that Bible verse when Clint rides up on his (very handsome) grey horse. Side note: Clint always rides an extremely nice horse in all his (American) westerns.

1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

That pause *always* made me nervous, especially when a contestant was responding to a daily double.

Speaking of Daily Doubles, I was wanting to play @shapeshifter's recording when Ken announced the DD, just so I could hear -- and enjoy -- the difference.

This was the smoothest half hour I've spent in a long time. No irritations about anything the host said or did. I haven't enjoyed a J! episode like this one for a long time. (Read: Since Ken hosted last.)

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

ANOTHER bible category??!?!??!

How fancy to spell FJ "Theatre."  I thought it was an insta-get. I watched a documentary series on a London production of the play starring Patrick Stewart and Simon Callow. Throughout the entire 6 episodes, it was pronounced GODoh by everyone.

I always use “theatre” to refer to the stage and “theater” for where movies are shown, but that’s just me.

Yeah, I’ve seen a production of “Waiting For Godot” (so FJ was an instaget) and in the show itself the character is referred to as GOD-oh. That’s now become one of those things where the mispronunciation has become standard and pronouncing it correctly makes it look like you don’t know what you’re talking about, like forte

Ken was on that one BMS instantly, no awkward pause waiting for the judges. However I did notice he did not hesitate or ask for a BMS for the contestant’s response of “Roosevelt”like with the Bush answer last week, so it does seem like the judges have relaxed their rules on that. With the same scenario happening the same way for both hosts it doesn’t seem to be choice they make but is from the judges to not ask for a BMS.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

No irritations about anything the host said or did.

He didn't ask for a first name for President Roosevelt (and didn't add the info when he confirmed the response was accepted). And he described Higgins on Magnum PI as a friend or assistant when the original was neither (can't comment on the reboot).

I did appreciate his level of engagement for the most part, pointing out when the contestants were forgetting the category, or adding context to a response. 

I was shocked to see it end in a tiebreaker. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Oh look, another Bible category already (on the up side, I managed to get all but one -- circumcise was my joke guess, but it counts, and I knew/figured out everything else but Galilee -- but come on!).

I cannot believe blue flu was a TS, after Erica spotted them blue.  Go-go boots and yellow-bellied also surprised me.  As did no one guessing radio; maybe the second part of the clue tripped them up.  They had a lot of TS; 13 in the first round and five in DJ.

I ran colors, history, and "the" and got all but one in Wouk (pretty impressive, since I'd never even heard of him) in the first round, but missed three each in boots (it should have been two, but I couldn't get jodhpur from brain to mouth) and acting (could have been five, as I'd never seen any of the TV shows, but I knew Julia Roberts due to the Erin Brockovich reference and figured the Laker had to be Magic).

I didn't run anything in DJ, but I did well; I missed two each in words and boot, and got all but one in the rest.

I got both FJ clues; the first one took me some thought, but the tie-breaker was pretty much an instaget -- I assumed it was the president, and that happens to be one of the time frames where you can give me a year/years and I can tell you who was in the Oval Office.

There should never have been a tie-breaker, though; good grief, Erica gave the game away with her FJ wager, when her best bet was easy to figure out.  It should have been $6001, but she bet $4001.  Did she do the math wrong?

[searches entire self, and the house for good measure] Nope, still cannot find a single fuck to give whether Mayim or Ken is hosting.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

got all but one in Wouk (pretty impressive, since I'd never even heard of him)

The miniseries The Winds of War was heavily branded as Herman Wouk's,  so even though I never watched it I was familiar with his name. I did not know that he had written the Caine Mutiny and Marjorie Morningstar.  The only response I got correctly in the category was the Caine Mutiny.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I pre-called loathe in the "the" category. Not sure what that says about me. 😄

2 minutes ago, Glitches said:

How funny. I pre-called Soothe. 

I pre called seethe.

Two more to go….

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I pre-called loathe in the "the" category. Not sure what that says about me. 😄

My initial response when they showed that category was "what, like a scythe?"

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
50 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I always use “theatre” to refer to the stage and “theater” for where movies are shown, but that’s just me.

I’ve always used “theatre” regardless. Don’t know what that says about me, other than maybe I read too many British mysteries as a kid.

Getting the supreme boot in Genesis, he was told, "a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be"

Was I the only one who was surprised that Yoda was in the Bible?

• LOL 8
On 7/16/2022 at 10:55 AM, Clanstarling said:

I'd be thrilled. I'm pretty good at memorizing, but I'm also lazy.

I was more "deadly bite, really?"

I answered Tom Sawyer. I always forget the Adventures of part.

I haven't checked, but I've wondered if someone way back in the family tree is responsible for the definition of the word. 😄

I think this trend started happening when we started using computer programs (especially Excel) to sort alphabetically. It is annoying, but not as annoying as way back in the day when my local Blockbuster "alphabetized" by the first letter of the title.

I hate the smell of patchouli and am old enough to have smelled it a lot.

I did pretty well, but no FJ. I would have run Ice Cream, except I said Brown Bunny instead of Blue Bunny - two VERY different things.

I, too said Blue Bunny and thought of Brown Bunny.  Different indeed.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Ken was on that one BMS instantly, no awkward pause waiting for the judges. However I did notice he did not hesitate or ask for a BMS for the contestant’s response of “Roosevelt”like with the Bush answer last week, so it does seem like the judges have relaxed their rules on that. With the same scenario happening the same way for both hosts it doesn’t seem to be choice they make but is from the judges to not ask for a BMS.

My theory is that “Roosevelt” didn’t get a BMS because of the question being posed as “Which of the four Presidents on Mt. Rushmore...” There’s only one Roosevelt on Mt. Rushmore and the only possibly correct answer options are Roosevelt, Lincoln, Washington, or Jefferson.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SHD said:

My theory is that “Roosevelt” didn’t get a BMS because of the question being posed as “Which of the four Presidents on Mt. Rushmore...” There’s only one Roosevelt on Mt. Rushmore and the only possibly correct answer options are Roosevelt, Lincoln, Washington, or Jefferson.

But, if you look at it that way, there's always only one correct answer to the question and in the past they've always asked for the BMS.

• Applause 4
  • Love 3

I wonder if they hit an all time high in TSs last night. I was so tickled to see Ken back on my screen. That made the game much more enjoyable for me. I got jodhpur boots, clothe, radio, Supercollider, and horse. I did run the category of “The” End. I drew a complete blank on FJ. 
   I was sorry to see pretty Emily go, but wagering didn’t seem to be the strongest suit of her game. On a shallow note I agree about Ken’s jacket being ill fitting, especially as his tie was so visible below the button area. Erica had a an interesting choice of eyewear. I wonder if they were worn to be decorative or as a personal statement. 
(Every time I use the word ill on my pad it always corrects to I’ll. It’s annoying.) 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

He didn't ask for a first name for President Roosevelt (and didn't add the info when he confirmed the response was accepted). And he described Higgins on Magnum PI as a friend or assistant when the original was neither (can't comment on the reboot).

I did appreciate his level of engagement for the most part, pointing out when the contestants were forgetting the category, or adding context to a response. 

I was shocked to see it end in a tiebreaker. 

Higgins turned into a friend through the years,  albeit one exasperated by OG Magnum. 

I would totally rock an OG **Magnum, PI** category.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Throughout the entire 6 episodes, it was pronounced GODoh by everyone.

I've always pronounced it goDOH. Then I read that was the wrong way to pronounce it, that the correct way was as @Prevailing Wind wrote. So I anxiously awaited how Ken would say it, figuring the Jeopardy! PTB would have told him the correct pronunciation. Ken affirmed my pronunciation so that's the one I'm going with. I wonder how Alex would have pronounced it?

• Love 1

Ken's back! Thank goodness. While at first I though Mayim was ok as a host, the longer she was on, the less I liked her. Too much giggling and rare decent banter when they talk to the contestants. She wasn't good at commenting on their stories, just that odd laugh...

And why did they dress her in a suit jacket so often? She looked so uncomfortable. 

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I also knew the Miranda clue was referring to Sex and the City, but I didn't know who played her.

I never watched the series, but knew the characters' names - but not which actress played which role. I tried watching it, just wasn't my cup of tea.

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Spelling theater "theatre" is one of my pet peeves. It's always seemed to me just a way to make people think it's more classy. Not being a classy person, but definitely a theater person, it just rubs me the wrong way.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I ran colors, history, and "the" and got all but one in Wouk (pretty impressive, since I'd never even heard of him) in the first round...

I read the Winds of War books - my dad was a big fan and for awhile I read all the books he did (even the ones that he said I couldn't - but he didn't know that). I didn't know he wrote the others (or didn't remember). I got Marjorie Morningstar because that's a direct translation of her name.

11 hours ago, opus said:

I pre called seethe.

And I pre called absinthe... which is hilarious because the only thing I ever drink is the odd glass of wine, and my one lemon drop martini for my birthday.

It was a pretty good game for me.

I knew blue flu, yellow-bellied, engineer boots, jodhpur, clothe, radio, Berlin, Morningstar, and The Expanse - after correcting Ken's pronunciation of Beltalowda - it's the best scifi series I've ever seen, though it took a few episodes to get into it).

Tried to make galoshes fit goulash, but no joy. LOL.

Ran Color Me Bad.

As for FJ, I got Waiting for Godot only because I have a vague image of two guys on a hilltop on horses (?) - so that seemed like a spare enough set for one tree. I have always heard the Brits refer to it in that pronunciation - so I'm not convinced it's wrong so much as a regional variance.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

Ken's back! Thank goodness. While at first I though Mayim was ok as a host, the longer she was on, the less I liked her. Too much giggling and rare decent banter when they talk to the contestants. She wasn't good at commenting on their stories, just that odd laugh...

And why did they dress her in a suit jacket so often? She looked so uncomfortable. 

Since the male hosts always wear suits I thought the jackets were fine on Mayim.  If she looked uncomfortable in her wardrobe I didn’t notice, I thought she looked much more polished during this run.  But looks aside her mannerisms (the giggling, odd comments, and most of all that pause while she waits to be told if an answer is right or wrong) bother me so I’m delighted Ken is back again.  

I got FJ which surprised me, it was a pure guess on my part.  

• Like 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I have always heard the Brits refer to it in that pronunciation - so I'm not convinced it's wrong so much as a regional variance.

It’s not wrong. It’s the correct pronunciation. The variance (goh-DOH) is the wrong version that has now become the standard way to say it.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Useful 3
10 hours ago, SHD said:

This is exactly what I thought.  In this case, I didn't expect a BMS.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, SHD said:

But wouldn’t that be true for every question that then gets asked a BMS when the last name is the same?

• Applause 2
  • Love 3