Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Well, I didn't do great last night.  Only ran It Happened In July and Economics, but did get at least 4 right in most of the other categories.  I would've run Animal Sounds if I'd realized they weren't in the "Q" category - I was trying to come up with a word that had a q in the middle which meant the same thing as per.  Oops.

My stumpers were 78, cement, chisel, screw and glut.

I did, however, get Ford's Theatre.

I object to Yungsheng getting credit for 90210.  Luke Perry was on Beverly Hills, 90210, not the 2008 reboot/sequel which was just titled 90210.  It didn't make any difference in the end, but it bugs me that the judges are accepting incorrect answers.  They're getting extremely sloppy about that sort of thing.

13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

But how to pick Ford's Theatre over, say, Watergate...I'm not sure.

For me, it was being more familiar with the part of DC where the Hoover building is.  It's not that far from the Smithsonian and the National Gallery of Art.  I knew the Watergate Hotel was down on the river, so it couldn't be that.  Ford's Theatre was the only other spot I could think of which would fit the clue.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

And not to make fun of Suzy, because she has more guts than me to even go on the show, but “mar-kwiss”?? Is that an acceptable pronunciation?

It's how the British pronounce marquis.  Learned that from watching lots of British period pieces.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

The clue, with its reference to "Corner of the Sky," was definitely pointing toward "Pippin."  Wikipedia identifies "Pippin" as an alternate spelling of "Pepin."  Encyclopedia Britannica lists of the Carolingians with that name under "Pippin," and gives "Pepin" as the alternate spelling.  I'd call it a wash.

I have never heard it pronounced that way.  Learn something new everyday, I guess.  Corner of the Sky meant nothing to me.

• Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I got the ts's of purr

I didn't "hear" purr in per and since they defined it as "for each" I was trying to come up with a second word to follow per.  My Latin dictionary doesn't even have "for each" as as a possible translation of per. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I have never heard it pronounced that way.  Learn something new everyday, I guess.  Corner of the Sky meant nothing to me.

"Corner of the Sky" is a song from the Stephen Schwartz musical Pippin, which is (very loosely) based on the life of Charlemagne's oldest son, Pepin (sometimes called Pepin the Hunchback).

The name Pepin, as you probably know, was all over Charlemagne's family line, with his great-grandfather, his father, two of his sons, his grandson, and his great-grandson all having that name.  The name is spelled "Pippin" in some sources, especially English and German sources.

Hopefully they would have accepted "Pepin" if anyone had said it.  But the fact that the clue quoted a song from the musical makes me think that "Pippin" was the answer they expected.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

"Corner of the Sky" is a song from the Stephen Schwartz musical Pippin, which is (very loosely) based on the life of Charlemagne's oldest son, Pepin (sometimes called Pepin the Hunchback).

The name Pepin, as you probably know, was all over Charlemagne's family line, with his great-grandfather, his father, two of his sons, his grandson, and his great-grandson all having that name.  The name is spelled "Pippin" in some sources, especially English and German sources.

Hopefully they would have accepted "Pepin" if anyone had said it.  But the fact that the clue quoted a song from the musical makes me think that "Pippin" was the answer they expected.

I've heard of the musical Pippin but the title and the fact that Ben Vereen starred in a production of it are the sum and total of my knowledge.  So the song reference was not a clue for me.  I'd have argued if they'd ruled me wrong for answering "Pepin".

13 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I read a book on Medieval history a few months ago and it used "Pippin." 

I still didn't get it. 

Never seen the musical.

28 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've heard of the musical Pippin but the title and the fact that Ben Vereen starred in a production of it are the sum and total of my knowledge. 

One other fun fact about the musical: Irene Ryan (Granny from The Beverly Hillbillies) was in the original production, in the role of Pippin's grandmother.  She had a song called "No Time At All," about being old but feeling young.  In the lyrics, she mentions that her lovers call her "Granny," which always got a big laugh from the audience.

It was the last role she played before she died.

• Like 2
  • Useful 6
  • Love 5
On 7/5/2022 at 12:30 PM, Trey said:

I wonder if they would have got Detroit if the clue had been reversed, giving the Canadian city.

Highly doubtful any of them even knew there was a Canadian city named Windsor. It was easy for me, however, having taken that tunnel more than once. 

• Love 4

Meh…ran Movie Magic, missed three in Geography and Historical Hodgepodge, two in Literary Doctors, Lyrics, and Science, and one in everything else. Did not get FJ or a single TS.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

For FJ I quickly went through Midwest - wheat, no, San Francisco - Asia, rice, no - soybeans!

That was my thought process, too!  

I've been distracted by some family issues, so I didn't give the game my full attention.  The only TS I wrote down was Hawthorne.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I said wheat.  I would have never thought of soybeans in a bazillion years.  Because of SF, I briefly considered rice, but that's not a big crop in the midwest. And I remembered all the cornfields, but they wouldn't have come by ship.  I thought potato but that would have come from the east.

I got the missed clues of Kalahari (only because Sahara wouldn't be $1000 daily double) and buttercup.

I got the entire category of geography right beleive it or not.

Ok first round, pretty good DJ, tanked on Final and ended up slightly in the red.  Maybe I should stop autocounting FJ as $10K.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

For FJ I quickly went through Midwest - wheat, no, San Francisco - Asia, rice, no - soybeans!

Yep, same here. 

Good game between Yungsheng and Alicia. I was kind of rooting for her because she's from my neck of the woods.

Was anyone surprised that Yungsheng, a public defender, wasn't buzzing in for whichever category it was involving law? I don't remember exactly what the name of the category was. Was he just slow to buzz in? They weren't difficult.

A few days ago there was a category about rhyming drinks of the alcoholic variety. I believe there might have been some photo clues. I'm wondering if anyone here said "Bahama Mama" instead of the correct Mai Tai. I was so pleased with myself, only to be wrong. Lol I looked it up and they look similar, and both contain rum. 

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

A few days ago there was a category about rhyming drinks of the alcoholic variety. I believe there might have been some photo clues. I'm wondering if anyone here said "Bahama Mama" instead of the correct Mai Tai. I was so pleased with myself, only to be wrong. Lol I looked it up and they look similar, and both contain rum. 

I never heard of a Bahama Mama, but if they look similar it might have been accepted. It does sound delicious!

I didn't think Yungsheng pronounced "expelliarmus" correctly even after he corrected himself; I was surprised he received credit for it.

Hawthorne was my only TS too, and I almost said Washington Irving. I couldn't quite come up with Thomas Mann in time, but I knew 1947 was much too late for Goethe. At least I managed to figure out FJ tonight.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I didn't think Yungsheng pronounced "expelliarmus" correctly even after he corrected himself; I was surprised he received credit for it.

I thought he sort of dropped the R but then some accents do that. I didn't notice if he did it on other words, though.

17 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Mayim's pronunciation had a very hard R but the English non-rhotic pronunciation sounds very much like Yungsheng's corrected version to me.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

It sounded to me like he was imitating a British accent while saying the word, without quite realizing it. My guess is that he has seen the movie(s) but never seen expelliarmus written down?

• Like 3
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Mayim's pronunciation had a very hard R but the English non-rhotic pronunciation sounds very much like Yungsheng's corrected version to me.

I didn't realize the movies had the actors pronouncing it without a distinct "r", so now I understand what Yungsheng was doing.

• Love 2

How embarrassing for Yungsheng when he blanked on sidebar; his colleagues are going to have a field day with that.  That was a fun match between him and Alicia.  I was rooting for her (and she wound up with a higher Coryat score), but he had a clear choice for FJ wager while she had to pick something within a wide range, and it worked out for him.

After a fantastic game last night, I was terribly off my game in tonight's first round -- I missed three each in movies and stock symbols, plus three other scattered clues.

But I had a more typical game in DJ; I ran courtroom, and got all but one each in songs and A-E.  I missed three each in literary doctors and history, plus two in science, so it wasn't a great round, but not terrible.

The only TS I got was "Faith".

Figuring FJ had to be referring to a staple of Asian cuisine, I initially said rice yet quickly corrected myself since that first arrived in the South, via slave ships from Africa.  I then guessed soybeans, and couldn't think of anything else that sounded like a better guess, so stuck with it fairly confidently.

On a shallow note, I liked the colors Mayim, Alicia, and Jen wore, and Alicia's glasses.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I didn't realize the movies had the actors pronouncing it without a distinct "r", so now I understand what Yungsheng was doing.

My father is English so I am very familiar with unpronounced R. I didn't think Yungsheng was putting on an accent as much as he was repeating the pronunciation he had heard. But I guess that depends on whether he read "expelliarmus" in the books or only heard "expelliahmus" in the movies.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

I enjoy YungSheng a lot, and especially after yesterday's story about his grandmother teaching him Chinese, also love that he writes his Chinese name 永勝 the last two days.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

How embarrassing for Yungsheng when he blanked on sidebar; his colleagues are going to have a field day with that.

Funnily enough, Mayim asked the same thing here:

Edited by argrow
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, argrow said:

Funnily, Mayim asked the same thing here:

I love that he said the judge is the one who's really going to nail him on it, as I thought the same thing.

• Love 4

I can't believe blanked on "Faith". That song is all over oldies radio and heard it the other day. It was a favorite of mine growing up. I got all of the other lyric clues, even the more modern one...

I find my lack of "Faith" disturbing...

• Fire 1
  • LOL 4
7 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

I can't believe blanked on "Faith". That song is all over oldies radio and heard it the other day. It was a favorite of mine growing up. I got all of the other lyric clues, even the more modern one...

I find my lack of "Faith" disturbing...

I didn't get that or "When Doves Cry." I was trying to sing the latter in my head and didn't get far enough in time. I got the others ("Shape of You" and "Old Town Road" mostly just from cultural osmosis; "Bad Day" is on my ipod so I hear it every so often). So annoyed that I missed the two that were all over the radio when I was a kid.

(edited)
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said wheat.  I would have never thought of soybeans in a bazillion years. 

I said wheat too - soybeans never entered the equation. I did think "maybe wheat isn't the all american crop" which lead me to the show "The Americans" and led me to think, wouldn't it be ironic if it were a Russian crop originally..." So I went way off into the void with that one.

12 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Heh heh....I wonder if Alicia's dad and brother ever realized that there actually is a song called Timothy? 

NOT a suitable lullaby for a little kid with that name! 😆

OMG, I haven't thought of that song in years. The young girl who loved ghoulish things loved that song. LOL. I did notice that it was written by Rupert Holmes. Which explains a lot...

12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

My father is English so I am very familiar with unpronounced R. I didn't think Yungsheng was putting on an accent as much as he was repeating the pronunciation he had heard. But I guess that depends on whether he read "expelliarmus" in the books or only heard "expelliahmus" in the movies.

Now, if it had be "leviosa," I would have had it in an instant - given Hermione's kind of snotty lesson in pronunciation. (I relate to Hermione, so it's not exactly an insult)

10 hours ago, argrow said:

I enjoy YungSheng a lot, and especially after yesterday's story about his grandmother teaching him Chinese, also love that he writes his Chinese name 永勝 the last two days.

Funnily enough, Mayim asked the same thing here:

If only Mayim could be so relaxed for the regular contestant interviews. She was actually kind of fun there.

I did pretty good in the Jeopardy round - at least 3 in every category (four in geography, which astounded me). Double Jeopardy wasn't as good, but still reasonable.

I said Hesse instead of Mann - which is a habit of mine, despite the fact that I've read Mann and avoided Hesse.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, secnarf said:

It sounded to me like he was imitating a British accent while saying the word, without quite realizing it. My guess is that he has seen the movie(s) but never seen expelliarmus written down?

There's no such thing as a British accent, what you think of as a British accent is actually a south eastern English accent or just English would do.

I also don't pronounce my 'r' s and the trouble I get spelling my name over the phone in the U.S. is a nightmare as there's an r in the middle of it.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

So last night was not a good game for me.  I only ran one category (State of Denial) and only got one stumper (Nathanial Hawthorne).  I did get FJ though, primarily because I remember the Chinese embargo on our soybeans a couple of years ago which hit the Mid-West (and the Eastern Shore of Maryland) very hard.

I was rooting for Alicia, but am fine with Yungsheng continuing as champion and would've been fine with Jen winning as well.  I like having multiple contestants who are pleasant and not overly quirky.

16 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Was anyone surprised that Yungsheng, a public defender, wasn't buzzing in for whichever category it was involving law? I don't remember exactly what the name of the category was. Was he just slow to buzz in? They weren't difficult.

They weren't difficult and yet I still managed to miss sidebar, despite working in a courthouse.  Sometimes the words just won't come out of the brain.  But I suspect he was having some trouble ringing in quicker than Alicia; she was pretty fast on the buzzer.

16 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

A Mai Tai has fewer/different ingredients than a Bahama Mama, although they do look somewhat similar.  But I don't think Bahama Mama would've fit the clue since it referenced " "the tiki-est of tiki cocktails".  Tiki cocktails are Polynesian in inspiration and came out of the tiki bar trend which was at its height in the 50s & 60s.  The Mai Tai is considered the ultimate tiki cocktail and its invention is credited to the owner of the LA tiki bar Trader Vic's.  I probably wouldn't have argued it one way or the other, though, since a Bahama Mama does fit the general requirements of a tiki cocktail, ingredient and flavor wise.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Figuring FJ had to be referring to a staple of Asian cuisine, I initially said rice yet quickly corrected myself since that first arrived in the South, via slave ships from Africa. 

Yep.  If you ever are in the Low Country of South Carolina, try visiting the Rice Museum in Georgetown.  It sounds weird but it was fascinating and detailed the history of both indigo and rice production in SC.  Well worth the trip.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

The only TS I got was "Faith".

I should've gotten that one.  I love that song and sing along whenever it plays on the radio.  But no, it stayed stuck in some tiny crevice of my brain instead.  I didn't get Bad Day either but I think that was because I hate that song and have tried to blank it out of my mind ever since I first heard it.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I said Hesse instead of Mann - which is a habit of mine, despite the fact that I've read Mann and avoided Hesse.

That was my answer too, even though I was fairly certain it was wrong.  I always forget about Thomas Mann.

2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

There's no such thing as a British accent, what you think of as a British accent is actually a south eastern English accent or just English would do.

I've always thought of it as the standard BBC accent.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

All I got last night was Buttercup. 
🎶 Why do you build me up, Buttercup, just to let me down 🎶

I had no idea there was a creeping buttercup - but it looked like a buttercup to me, so I got it.

🎶And then worst of all, you never call, baby when you say you will  but I love you still🎶

• Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Youtube night for me (left work late and had to go to the grocery store; got home 10 minutes in). Ran Salad Dressing and Rhyme Zone, missed one NYC Borough and ___&___, got three in Speedway, surprisingly. Knowing the definition of shrapnel is the only thing that saved me from completely failing Hemingway. Missed 2-3 in every category in DJ. Got FJ pretty quickly and my only TSes were Macbeth and Vienna. Sorry to see Yungsheng go but I liked Brian, too, so it's all good. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I had no idea there was a creeping buttercup - but it looked like a buttercup to me, so I got it.

🎶And then worst of all, you never call, baby when you say you will  but I love you still🎶

I'm old enough to remember when that song first dropped. 

This New Yorker ran the boroughs category and my only TS was in that category....the Bronx. Almost ran the salad dressing category.

Finally got a Final Jeopardy this week. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

I got FJ right.  After saying SH, I briefly considered Scrooge but realized that year was too late.

i got the missed clues of Bronx (surprised nobody got that, aren't there only 5 boroughs), freezing point, Macbeth and Vienna.

I got the entire catgory of NYC boroughs right.  I was doing really well in the first round until the final 2 categories where I only got the $200 in both Hemingway and Speedway.  I did terribly in DJ.  So, this was a night I was glad of my $10000 FJ rule.  I only ended up losing $400.

• Applause 1
9 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I also don't pronounce my 'r' s and the trouble I get spelling my name over the phone in the U.S. is a nightmare as there's an r in the middle of it.

Sorry - I had actually debated whether to use "English" or "British", but decided on British because not all of the actors/actresses in the Harry Potter movies are English, and I was trying to convey that I felt he was unknowingly imitating the accents of those in the movies. I do know there are many different regional accents within England and across the UK.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Thanks to our recent discussion on how to pronounce "scone," we're smarter than the writers, because we KNOW it doesn't rhyme with "zone."

I thought of our discussion here too! Funny that that came up shortly after we had been talking about it. I can't actually remember what got us talking about it in the first place, though.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, anniebird said:

I thought Yungsheng mispronounced expelliarmus twice and then Mayim pronounced it correctly, said "Yes!"  and accepted his wrong answer. Can't wait for Ken's return.

This was discussed upthread, here is a bit of it.

22 hours ago, GreekGeek said:
23 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Expand  

After FJ I got curious as to who was the most portrayed Non-human literary character in film and television.

Answer:

Spoiler

Dracula

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I immediately thought Sherlock Holmes, but then I stopped myself and asked if Dracula would be an answer--and decided that the use of the word human meant no vampires.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I cannot believe the Bronx TS -- it was the only borough left!  (Every once in a great while, an answer is repeated in one of those "Which one?" categories, but it's rare.)  The freezing point TS surprised me as well, but that was a doozy!

I joined the contestants in being stumped by the two Hemingway clues, and I also failed to come up with roan, but got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, I ran acronyms (and was pleased the category didn't include any initialisms, as has happened before) and got all but one in newspapers, geography, and chemistry (I should have run that one, but couldn't get valence from my brain to my mouth).  I missed three each in scarves (since "not Amy Adams, the other one" would not have counted for Isla Fisher) and leaders.

FJ was an instaguess I felt pretty confident was correct, even though I've never seen any of the films/shows. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Thanks to our recent discussion on how to pronounce "scone," we're smarter than the writers, because we KNOW it doesn't rhyme with "zone."

I'm embarrassed that I missed FJ.

Scone can actually rhyme with either zone or gone.  It tends to be a regional difference.

54 minutes ago, Driad said:

Who is your film or TV Sherlock Holmes? Mine is Jeremy Brett.

Jeremy Brett, yes please.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I cannot believe the Bronx TS -- it was the only borough left! 

That presumes that you are certain there are only 5 boroughs to begin with.

I was more shocked that everyone rang in with a guess and yet no one got from Wiener to Vienna.

I couldn't come up with Hartford Courant because I was trying to think of a paper called Actuelle or similar.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

That presumes that you are certain there are only 5 boroughs to begin with.

It's not about that presumption; J! almost always goes with the official, so even if all three of them happened to think there were seven, or however many, boroughs, four of the recognized five had been accounted for in the previous clues and not one contestant even rang in with a guess on that last clue; it was dumb not to offer the fifth as a guess even if none of them knew the park.

9 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was more shocked that everyone rang in with a guess and yet no one got from Wiener to Vienna.

I was also surprised everyone stayed in Germany, with no one twigging to Austria at all, let alone Vienna. 

• Fire 1
  • Love 3