Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I did get a laugh yesterday when Ken said "Thanks" when the player asked for the category "GOOD ABS."

*sigh* Bye Matt, we hardly knew ye. But what a fluke that Emmie's interview was about her learning the constellations and she knew all the summer ones, then the FJ category ends up being CONSTELLATIONS. Man, talk about luck. For Emmie, not Matt.

27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got were Madison Square Garden, and Daveed.

Not sure if you are being cheeky or not, but I'll be "that person" (translation: a PITA smartass) and say the artist is Jacques-Louis David. Just pronounced Da-veed.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Not sure if you are being cheeky or not, but I'll be "that person" (translation: a PITA smartass) and say the artist is Jacques-Louis David. Just pronounced Da-veed.

Cheeky, of course, because of the Diggs part of the clue.

• Like 1
  • Wink 2

Wow! I almost blew FJ due to that "burden of knowledge" - I knew Cygnus has a star named Deneb, but I didn't think it had a second name, and a swan has nothing to do with a kid's tail, so, yeah, I realized they wanted the Goat (after discarding Aries, the Ram as being a lamb, not a kid). I finally reached the Capricorn conclusion just in time.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

what a fluke that Emmie's interview was about her learning the constellations and she knew all the summer ones, then the FJ category ends up being CONSTELLATIONS. Man, talk about luck. For Emmie, not Matt.

When the FJ category of CONSTELLATIONS was announced, I was worried for Emmie that it might be one of those “burden of knowledge” moments of humiliation, but she pulled it out.

I haven't come up with any FJs this week, but at least I've run a category in most. Today's were WHAT'S YOUR "ANGLE"? (which I'm guessing everyone ran) and HEALTH & MEDICINE. 
Like Matt, for today's FJ, I guessed Gemini. For yesterday's, like absolutely no one, I guessed The New Jersey Turnpike, LOL.

5 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I watch TMZ and Daily Blast Live every day and am way up on pop culture and today's music makers.

As a college reference librarian, I made a point to watch TMZ at least once a week so I could quickly help students (and set them at ease) with their entertainment-industry and pop-culture research projects. Now it's more like once every other month, which is probably not enough for Jeopardy! 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

Even though I've raised plenty of "those" kinds of kids, my mind landed on human kids and I couldn't figure which constellation had anything to do with children. So Matt's Gemini could have been my answer too ... if I had thought of it!

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1

Archive game for me due to news coverage, so for a couple I had to assume I'd have come up with it had I been able to see the picture (e.g. catfish).

I ran numbers, bears, and angle and got all but one each in venues and the Met, but missed two in west, so third game in a row getting all but four in the first round.

Very much not the third game in a row also getting all but four in DJ, though.  I ran words, health, and bottoms up, but the ones I didn't run, I was terrible in; I missed all but one book, missed three in geography, normally a strong subject for me, and another three in hitmakers (I knew the oldsters, but none of the modern artists). 

I closed it out with having no clue for FJ; I am not good with constellations.  I did figure kid referred to a goat, but I didn't know what constellation was connected with a goat.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

Even though I've raised plenty of "those" kinds of kids, my mind landed on human kids and I couldn't figure which constellation had anything to do with children. So Matt's Gemini could have been my answer too ... if I had thought of it!

I did think of Gemini and it was my response. I have no idea where I thought the tails were coming from, though! Realized after the music finished that that was stupid of me, but still didn't connect kid to goat and switched to Leo.

• Like 3

I did not put together the kid> goat> Capricorn sequence for FJ, but the husband did, and I haaate that. (I’m very competitive.)

4 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I liked Matt a lot, but he lost me when he didn't get Madison Square Garden, which seemed so obvious.  That's one reason I'd be a terrible contestant even though I do know a lot of random stuff - I would freeze or blurt out a wrong answer then kick myself (mentally) for the rest of the game.

The way he threw his head back when Ken told him the correct answer, he was kicking himself pretty hard, too. I liked Matt, and I would have liked to see him go further. Then again, as I shouted at Emmie when she won, “You go with your bright pink hair!”

• Like 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Clue: "China pledged to leave this region's system in place for 50 years after 1997."

Answer: Hong Kong

Ken: "Pledged anyway."

Oh!  Thanks for the fill-in.  For some reason, I expected something off-color, or racist.  Don’t know why.   But I like that comment both politically and pop culturally.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I liked Matt a lot, but he lost me when he didn't get Madison Square Garden, which seemed so obvious.  That's one reason I'd be a terrible contestant even though I do know a lot of random stuff - I would freeze or blurt out a wrong answer then kick myself (mentally) for the rest of the game.

I have similar concerns.  First of all, the MFs that I readily blurt out at home wouldnt put me in the good graces of the production folks. Secondly, I too would  fixate on an incorrect answer…how to learn where I went wrong, what might I have had confused with the correct answer, what do I know that should have given me the info I needed… you know, just like at home, but instead right in the midst of the game.  

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

got the missed clues of Madison Square Garden and On the Road.

I'd like to take a moment to thank Supernatural for my getting On the Road. 

• Like 3

I didn't get any ts's but FJ was an instaget, so it's all good.

Didn't care about Matt one way or the other but I liked Emmie from the start and am glad she won.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I realized they wanted the Goat (after discarding Aries, the Ram as being a lamb, not a kid).

If only I had followed your thought process...

Mine went something like: kid, kid, tail, GOAT that's Aries, NO! I always mix them up it's Capricorn! Yay!

• Applause 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I ran Angles, and did okay on other categories. But not a stellar game for me.

I managed to get to Goat - but not to the constellation. For some reason, I didn't remember that Capricorn was a goat...sigh... My whiny complaint in the beginning was that I could only think of astrological signs. Boy did that bite me in the tail!

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I got "goat" from "kid" in the clue, figured it was the sign, and said "Sagittarius".  When the response was revealed - head smack - "oh, yeah!  Sagittarius was the spider".  Odd look from the Mr.  Double head smack.

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 9
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I managed to get to Goat - but not to the constellation. For some reason, I didn't remember that Capricorn was a goat...sigh... My whiny complaint in the beginning was that I could only think of astrological signs.

I did even worse. I got to goat but I was unable to remember Capricorn and instead fell into the Chinese zodiac. After muttering "could the sheep be a goat?  Why would a sign that lasts for a full year be associated with one of the constellations? I think I'm on the wrong track here." I gave up.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 4

TS: January, Distinguished Flying Cross, Thackeray, Mel Brooks, The Way We Were, Copperhead and FJ.

FJ: I was thinking "do I know the governor of Tennessee (assuming it was his/her inauguration) ? Who was elected President then? Clinton/Gore. Wait! Al Gore is from Tennessee. You Can Call Me Al ! (Call Me Al and whistling starts in my head)". Asterisk for me!!!

• Like 2
  • Applause 10
(edited)

80% / 77% / 77%

Another pretty good game...missed no more than two in any category. Ran Double Letters, Expensive Foods, and Colleges & Universities. Missed one in Month of History, TV Title Character Speaks (never watched Archer...or Dexter, actually, but I know just enough about the character to have guessed correctly), Life of Pablo, and Places from A to A. Missed two in British Folklore, At Cross Purposes, Books of the Civil War Era, and Metallic Expressions.

Could not come up with FJ. Annoyed. My first name starts with Al. (Been a while since someone sang that song to me, though. And I'd prefer you don't call me Al, unless you're my dad.)

Got eight of the twelve TSes (there were six in each round): vassal, moose, melons, Thackeray, Mel Brooks, The Way We Were, copperheads, and Seton Hall.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of vassal, January, moose (after reindeer), copperhead, Louisa May Alcott, and Thackeray.

I got the entire categories of double letter and month right.

I had a great week except for Monday.

• Applause 2
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

FJ: I was thinking "do I know the governor of Tennessee (assuming it was his/her inauguration) ? Who was elected President then? Clinton/Gore. Wait! Al Gore is from Tennessee. You Can Call Me Al ! (Call Me Al and whistling starts in my head)". Asterisk for me!!!

My thought process exactly!

I wasn't able to keep track of TS tonight, though.  I'm not at my house, so I'm not sure of my weekly FJ score either.

• Applause 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was absolutely sure it was Graceland. 

I wasn't absolutely sure - it was at least 6 years old in 93 - but that's what I said anyway.  At least it was newer than "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard."  LOL

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I got "goat" from "kid" in the clue, figured it was the sign, and said "Sagittarius".  When the response was revealed - head smack - "oh, yeah!  Sagittarius was the spider".  Odd look from the Mr.  Double head smack.

I gave you a sad emoji because I'm a Sagittarius and felt bad for the centaur.

I got FJ by sheer luck, my sister, who is somewhere on these board, does a family chat where she sends us all puzzles (rebus, Wheel of Fortune boards) and cards from trivia games. Earlier this week she sent a card from Songburst which is a complete the lyric type game. It was 'You Can Call Me Al' so that's the song that came to mind and what I said, it was only after I said it that I thought, you know I think this may have something to do with Al Gore!

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

I am lukewarm towards Paul Simon's solo work (still bitter about the break up of Simon & Garfunkel) so I spent at least half of the 'think music' caught up in that. Then I mentally made my way to Clinton, but didn't get far enough to think of Al Gore, and I had no idea Gore was from Tennessee.

• Sad 1
  • Love 3

I'm sure my neighbors are wondering why I was screaming "The Way We Were!" a little while ago.  No one guessing moose surprised me.

I only ran words and foods in the first round, but I got all but one in history and folklore, and missed two each in cross and TV (pretty good since I never watched any of the shows), so not bad.

I didn't run a single category in DJ.  I got all but one in Pablo and colleges, but I missed three each in places and books, and two each in expressions and EGOTs.

FJ was an instaget, so I rebounded to end on a high note.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

TS's: Flying Cross, The Way We Were, and Seton Hall. All I came up with was Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard. I didn't recognize the song title "You Can Call Me Al" until I listened on YouTube and then remembered. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 7/21/2022 at 4:48 PM, mjc570 said:

I didn't get it either. Sure I've heard of it but I was thinking of parks. Might be more obvious if you're from the area or care about NYC.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/20/2022 at 7:56 PM, anniebird said:

I can't take it any more - what does TS mean? I thought I would be able to figure out after hundreds and hundreds of posts, but no.

Sorry in advance to the faint of heart, but I gave up trying to figure it out after seeing many many references and now just read it subconsciously as "triple shit".

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 9
(edited)
12 hours ago, bankerchick said:

All I could think of was 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover.  Then, as the buzzer went, I thought of Graceland.

Yeah Graceland was all I could come up with. 

Loved the archer clue. One on my favorite lines from that show.  I have an archer danger zone t shirt. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 1
(edited)

Good game for me last night.

I got the ts's or missed DDs of vassal, moose, copperheads, Seton Hall, L.M. Alcott, and Thackeray. I said Carl Reiner instead of Mel Brooks.

For FJ I concentrated on the song rather than whose inauguration it was since I didn't know.  I ran down a list of Paul Simon songs and rejected them all, then You Can Call Me Al came to mind and I just knew it was right.

I'm sorry Emmie didn't stay longer but Karla is quite likeable too.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I was thrown off by the Tennessee reference and the only thing I could come up with was Graceland. Familiarity with Paul Simon's songs in date order plus remembering that Al Gore was the new VP in '93 and putting it all together in a few seconds enough to write a fairly long song title was required. No wonder no one came up with it. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was absolutely sure it was Graceland. 

Me too - but it was the right album, at least. 😉

14 hours ago, secnarf said:

I am lukewarm towards Paul Simon's solo work (still bitter about the break up of Simon & Garfunkel) so I spent at least half of the 'think music' caught up in that. Then I mentally made my way to Clinton, but didn't get far enough to think of Al Gore, and I had no idea Gore was from Tennessee.

That's quite a lengthy grudge. I respect that.

12 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

TS's: Flying Cross, The Way We Were, and Seton Hall. All I came up with was Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard. I didn't recognize the song title "You Can Call Me Al" until I listened on YouTube and then remembered. 

I never would have come up with it - as the You Can Call Me Al video is stuck in my mind with Chevy Chase, and not the much shorter Paul Simon. And even then, I kind of dismissed the song itself at the time as a trivial pop tune. (I love Simon, but that one didn't call to me).

Speaking of trivial, reading up on Paul Simon in relation to the You Can Call Me Al song, I found out this bit, which makes the song make just a wee bit more sense to me:

Simon's 1972 song, "Run That Body Down", from his second solo album, casually mentions both himself and his then-wife ("Peg") by name. Paul and Peggy, misheard as Al and Betty by Pierre Boulez, are also referenced in Simon's 1986 hit single "You Can Call Me Al"

I did okay in general, it was a fun game nonetheless.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Speaking of trivial, reading up on Paul Simon in relation to the You Can Call Me Al song, I found out this bit, which makes the song make just a wee bit more sense to me:

Simon's 1972 song, "Run That Body Down", from his second solo album, casually mentions both himself and his then-wife ("Peg") by name. Paul and Peggy, misheard as Al and Betty by Pierre Boulez, are also referenced in Simon's 1986 hit single "You Can Call Me Al"

You reminded me of something from when I first started at my second bookstore. As I mentioned yesterday, my first name starts with "Al" but I generally don't like to be called that. On my first day I was going through the usual rounds of 'no, it's pronounced like this' that always comes with meeting new people, and the manager on duty asked if they could call me Al. I said no. So they called me Betty (which later got shortened to Betz by another manager). 😄

• LOL 15
1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

I wonder if also sang Graceland at that event.

Not as I understand the press coverage; it seems it was a surprise appearance late in the event, and he just performed "You Can Call Me Al" -- which Al and Tipper came out and danced to.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, mertensia said:

I didn't get it either. Sure I've heard of it but I was thinking of parks. Might be more obvious if you're from the area or care about NYC.

I’m from NYC but I didn’t get it either. I even ran MSG through my head as one of the possible places but my mind was concentrated on the “Madison Square” part rather than the “Garden” so quickly dismissed it.

I had no clue at all on FJ. All I knew was it was for Clinton/Gore but I have no idea what “You Can Call Me Al” is, don’t know if I’ve ever heard that song before.

22 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I had no clue at all on FJ. All I knew was it was for Clinton/Gore but I have no idea what “You Can Call Me Al” is, don’t know if I’ve ever heard that song before.

Well, clearly we need a musical interlude, here...

• Fire 7
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Paul Simon is 5'3".

Somebody once asked Carrie Fisher about her not very long marriage to Simon and she replied, "Short people; short marriage."

And while we're discussing songs & names, Mrs. Gore got her nickname of Tipper as a young girl when her favorite song was the Andrews Sisters' "Tipi Tin."

• Like 3
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Not as I understand the press coverage; it seems it was a surprise appearance late in the event, and he just performed "You Can Call Me Al" -- which Al and Tipper came out and danced to.

Oh wow.....al (mr. Personality) and tipper (ms. Album warning label) gore dancing.  Had to be quite a sight!  

All I remember from the Clinton gore campaign is don't stop thinking about tomorrow being played a lot.  

• Like 3