Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I love that song. Like much of Paul Simon’s work, it’s much more than it first appears to be. And the video is so fun. Thanks for posting, ams1001

On 7/23/2022 at 8:00 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:
On 7/23/2022 at 6:01 AM, Leeds said:

Sorry in advance to the faint in heart, but I gave up trying to figure it out after seeing many many references and now just read it subconsciously as "triple shit".

BMS

I think my initial translations of these acronyms were “tough shit” and “bowel movements”. But that’s just where my mind goes. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I think my initial translations of these acronyms were “tough shit” and “bowel movements”. But that’s just where my mind goes. 

I think your mind will have a lot of company there, many of whom you know!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)

19 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

He did good...it was fun to see Ken in a different setting

Not surprising. I'm glad he got both players 50K. (And given that they're twins and apparently share a brain, I'm not surprised they were equally good at coming up with clues.)

Responded further in the appropriate thread.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1

Ugh. Apparently the Jeopardy gods have decided I was doing too well last week and wanted to take me down a peg (or two). Not even sharing my score. Only thing I ran was Slow (fitting, since I run slow as well), missed one in Chemistry, Literature, Special K, and Catchphrases, and 2-4 in everything else. My only TSes were atomic weight and Kente cloth. 

Did not get FJ though with a little more time I might have thought of it.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight, and I spent the rest of the think time absolutely certain I was wrong.  I did briefly think of Tina Turner, but stuck with the correct response in the end.

The TS I got included atomic weight, Allegheny, and kente, and I also said, "You get a car!" for the Oprah DD.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I got FJ right.  Total guess and not at all confident, but it still counts.

I got kente (I have no idea how to spell it, but that doesn't matter).

I got the entire category of slow right and 8 letter wrong.  Getting fJ right saved me, but I really didn't have that bad of a night.  DJ was better than first round and it's worth more money.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Once Ken advised Angela that she could wager up to $1000 when she said she would make it a Daily Double, she changed her wager.  I think Mayim would have just accepted the $400 wager and moved on to the answer.  This to me is a reason why it needs to be said every time it happens, as I think sometimes the contestants get caught up and forget they can wager more.

I loved Karla's response to the Oprah clue.  "You Get A Car!"

I guessed Stevie Nicks.  For no particular reason, I don't like the new champion.  I think he reminds me of someone I know.

• Like 4
  • Love 8

I initially also said Beyoncé, then thought 1998 was too early for Destiny’s Child. I didn’t know about the 25-year rule. But after ruling out Beyoncé and focusing on rock group (as opposed to pop group) I blurted Stevie Nicks as basically the only person I could possibly think of. I was floored when it was right. 

I also loved the response of “you get a car” 😂 I think that phrase is probably more connected with Oprah than any other. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

Not a great game for me. I really struggled with the 8 letter word category, especially. TS's were atomic weight, macchiato, and Kente. I was way off with FJ. I said Gladys Knight even though she and the Pips weren't a rock band. 😂

• Like 2

Archive game for me, as my friend had to reschedule our weekly phone call to tonight at 7:00 (she's lucky I love her).

The "You get a car" response to the Oprah DD made me laugh just reading it.

I missed two in breakfast and one each in chemistry and actors, so I'm back to my pattern of missing four in the first round.

In DJ, I only ran geography and homonames.  I was utterly terrible in medieval; the only one I came up with was sonnet.  I also missed three in bust and two each in catchphrases and K.

FJ was an instaget; love her.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5

For FJ I thought of Gren Stepheni and Beyonce. I forgot about the 25 year rule. So was trying to think of female artists that were in a group in the 90's then had solo careers. I should have realized that they were to recent.

And I love how the one question (a triple stumper) ended with Ken going "apparently" it is then the answer. Which I forgot what it was. But wow if Ken didn't even know it they didn't have a shot lol. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I also said, "You get a car!" for the Oprah DD.

I said it out loud before the contestant did so maybe she heard me and I ruined it for her. Still, a fun wrong answer.

I first thought Dolly for FJ given her objections to being voted into the R+R Hall of Fame, but couldn't come up with a band for her. So I went with Beyonce just because I couldn't think of anyone else. Tina Turner was a very good wrong answer though. Wish I had thought of it. Even though I love Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks.

I was eating a yogurt, feet up on the counter, when this clue was revealed: "This Hawaiian dish with a rhyming name is white rice topped with hamburger, a fried egg & gravy." I about fell out of my chair and choked on my yogurt yelling out the answer. A friend and I have had multi-day lengthy discussions about loco moco vs. poke, so much that loco moco is our inside joke. Do the J! writers have my house bugged?

Shout out to Ken for reminding the player she could bet up to $1000 on the first DD. Ken rocks.

Edited by PBnJay
  • Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Once Ken advised Angela that she could wager up to $1000 when she said she would make it a Daily Double, she changed her wager.  I think Mayim would have just accepted the $400 wager and moved on to the answer.  This to me is a reason why it needs to be said every time it happens, as I think sometimes the contestants get caught up and forget they can wager more.

Yes. As this happened, I said out loud, "And THAT'S why Ken has to be the full-time, permanent host!" 

And about an hour later, I learned that he wouldn't be. 😡

• Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, possibilities said:

There is such a thing as a waxing crescent moon.

True; and a waning gibbous moon, by the same token. But neither describes illumination as such. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle

Stevie was an insta-get for me. We have the same birthday, although she's a year older than I am.

However, I pre-guessed "Warren Zevon" "Who is the performer that is the most egregious omission from the HoF?"  I admit, though, I may be biased.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

My only issue with the WANE clue was that it was too easy for $1600:

• ”To get smaller, or especially to get less bright, like the Moon”

But I did struggle with the category title of HOMONAMES instead of homonyms.  
Does anyone know if they purposely try to make the category titles distracting and not just cute?
Because I get easily distracted.
They might as well title all the categories SQUIRREL as far as I'm concerned.

For FJ all I could think of was that she had an S name, so I went with Gwen Stefani, but I knew that was wrong. Both Stevie Nicks and Gwen Stefani were popular when my kids were teens rather than when I was a teen, so that’s my weak excuse.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I also thought of Beyonce/Destiny's Child but I wasn't sure about the dates and also don't know if they would count as Rock & Roll.

If Dolly Parton counts as Rock & Roll, why not?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I also thought of Beyonce/Destiny's Child but I wasn't sure about the dates and also don't know if they would count as Rock & Roll.

The rock hall isn't picky about genre. It's more like the popular music hall of fame. Dolly Parton was elected snd while a great singer and person, not really in the rock and roll category

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Were there many ts's last night?  I got only half of one, weight instead of atomic weight.  I guess half a ts is nothing to brag about.

FJ was an instaget.  I must have read something sometime about Stevie Nicks and the R&R HoF because I seemed to know it was right.  Although I did consider Diana Ross but she didn't sound right to me.

Another new champion, I forget who.  Really, I forget about the contestants as soon as the game is over (sometimes before) unless they do or say something remarkable or last more than a few days. 

Edited by Trey
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

The clue for wane in the Homonames category was bad. A waning moon is simply getting smaller. A crescent moon may give less light than a fuller moon but waning does not inherently describe brightness.

I don't remember the clue but the answers in that category were homonyms for people's names, right?  Wane/Wayne

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I said Joan Jett for FJ.  I thought I had seen something about her in relation to the HoF recently.  It looks like she was inducted with the Blackhearts in 2015 but not as an individual.

• Like 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I loved Karla's response to the Oprah clue.  "You Get A Car!"

We had a good laugh at that one too.

15 hours ago, secnarf said:

I initially also said Beyoncé, then thought 1998 was too early for Destiny’s Child. I didn’t know about the 25-year rule. But after ruling out Beyoncé and focusing on rock group (as opposed to pop group) I blurted Stevie Nicks as basically the only person I could possibly think of. I was floored when it was right.

I searched my mind (which naturally went blank) for Hall of Fame bands with women in them - first up was Jefferson Airplane/etc. but I knew Grace Slick was no longer a musician. Then I came up with Fleetwood Mac and pictured Stevie Nicks but it was a challenge to get her name out of my mouth. I did, in time, but was totally sure I was wrong.

Otherwise, the game wasn't good for me. I only "almost ran" one category - Literature of the Middle Ages (in itself a surprise). I didn't catch on to Homonames until halfway through the category. And the only celebrity catchphrase I came up with was Emeril (Bam!). I did get other answers on the board, but these are the ones that stick out.

Well, at least I got FJ.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Applause 3
37 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

And the only celebrity catchphrase I came up with was Emeril (Bam!).

That answer made me stop and think it should have been ruled wrong because Emeril is Legasse's first name. According to Jeopardy standards, last name is okay, just first name is not. So I guess we can just answer "Kit" from now on.

I know, I know, but it's the principle of the thing.

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

That answer made me stop and think it should have been ruled wrong because Emeril is Legasse's first name. According to Jeopardy standards, last name is okay, just first name is not. So I guess we can just answer "Kit" from now on.

I know, I know, but it's the principle of the thing.

Depends on the first name.  They've usually accepted Elvis, Dante, and Michelangelo, and of course, Madonna and Cher.  But, is he famous enough for just a first name? I don't know.  I tend to think not.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Maybe you have been conditioned by recent players to think she was 90+ years old and thus too old?

No, I know how old she is (more or less); she and the Supremes were a part of my time.

• Like 2

Most (although not all) of his many shows have used just his first name.  There was Essence of Emeril, Emeril Live, Emeril Green, his sitcom which was just called EmerilEmeril's Table, and Emeril's Florida.  On the other hand, he had a variety show called The Emeril Lagasse Show, and his current show on Amazon Prime is Eat the World with Emeril Lagasse.

It's a tricky one, but I think he's one of those guys who is mostly known by just his first name.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

My first thought for FJ was Joan Jett. But then I thought they wouldn’t induct someone twice when the only difference was essentially a backing band. So I tried to think of women who were part of a larger group but not the lead, and that led me straight to Stevie Nicks.

I had no idea about the 25 year rule, either!

Saw this today: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-ken-jennings-hosts-1235325067/. Yay for more Ken, but <sigh> for more Mayim. I hope they decide to keep her mainly in primetime.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Stevie Nicks was my pre-call, because I knew that little bit of trivia about her already.

"Of the 4 swim strokes used in the Olympics, this one with a body part in its name is the slowest" (breaststroke). I just want to acknowledge the other strokes with a body part in the name: backstroke and butterfly!

Edited by dcalley
  • Like 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, dcalley said:

"Of the 4 swim strokes used in the Olympics, this one with a body part in its name is the slowest" (breaststroke). I just want to acknowledge the other strokes with a body part in the name: backstroke and butterfly!

But as a parent who has put in my time at swim meets, I can attest that breaststroke is definitely the slowest!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Maybe they'll make her just the host of "Celebrity Jeopardy".

Frankly, I think the producers have bungled this whole "replacement host" thing from the get go. Trebek has been dead for over two years and we're still having to deal with who is going to be the permanent host? So now we are going to have two hosts? And more Jeopardy shows? For me I find Mayim Bialik to be haughty, arrogant and smarmy. Initially, I disliked Jennings but he has evolved into being a better host since he started. I believe that the producers are doing this because they fear backlash from Bialik fans and maybe from Bialik herself. Jennings would easily find work elsewhere on another game show or some other endeavor. He always brings in the ratings whereas Bialik's ratings stink. I don't see her graciously stepping down with out a fight carried out on social media or elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4

I immediately knew it was someone from Winnie the Pooh for FJ tonight, but it took me a bit to get to the right character.  I did get to it in time to write it down.

The only TS I got were Dave Matthews and Regan, unless you count mollusk as correct for the whelk question, which you shouldn't.  Burden of knowledge -- I never would have said shell.

Middle dude was really rough on his buzzer!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I said Thumper.  

I got the missed clues of Absolute zero (guess), Mount Logan, Reagan (not sure why I knew that), Highlander (loved the show, not so much the movie(s)).

I got the entire categories of Travel idioms and scientific laws right

Ended up in the black even botching final.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Frankly, I think the producers have bungled this whole "replacement host" thing from the get go. Trebek has been dead for over two years and we're still having to deal with who is going to be the permanent host? So now we are going to have two hosts? And more Jeopardy shows? For me I find Mayim Bialik to be haughty, arrogant and smarmy. Initially, I disliked Jennings but he has evolved into being a better host since he started. I believe that the producers are doing this because they fear backlash from Bialik fans and maybe from Bialik herself. Jennings would easily find work elsewhere on another game show or some other endeavor. He always brings in the ratings whereas Bialik's ratings stink. I don't see her graciously stepping down with out a fight carried out on social media or elsewhere.

If we have to keep her, I hope Ken at least gets promoted to an official host and not just "hosting" next season.

I stopped at my parents' after work and ended up staying for dinner so I couldn't keep score. I know I got a few TSes but I'm too lazy* to go through the archive at the moment. Did not get FJ and was sad. 

image.png.f284df4554fa046715b22724f21235cc.png

58 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, did anyone else do a double take when they introduced Alexa Jakob?  I mean, since we had an Alex Jacob....

I didn't catch her last name, but I laughed a little when she got the Billy Joel clue and The Downeaster 'Alexa' immediately popped into my head.

*edit: Okay, I went and checked. I got absolute zero (DD), Mecca, Highlander, and Freddy Highmore.

I ran Play Title and Travel Idioms in the first round and What's in Your Gullet in the second. Missed one in History, Sirius XM channels, Idol Talk, and Scientific Laws.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, dcalley said:

Stevie Nicks was my pre-call, because I knew that little bit of trivia about her already.

5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

But as a parent who has put in my time at swim meets, I can attest that breaststroke is definitely the slowest!

Anyone who has seen me thrashing about in my attempt to do butterfly would disagree :P

I did get Final Jeopardy (thankfully). I also remember the last time Eeyore was an FJ answer, when Alex practically gave it away by reading the clue in an Eeyore voice!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 6

I got Dave Matthews Band and shouted out "Eeyore" so, yeah, my dose of intelligence for the day is done.....

BTW-Have I mentioned I like Ken? I wish he got the job full time but half of Ken is better than none at all.....

• Like 1
  • Love 3