Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

I would like to think that my guess of Love Boat rather than Fresh Off the Boat would have been acceptable.

However, the category was "Mashed-up Sitcom titles" and Love Boat is not considered a sitcom. But I like your thinking!

• Sad 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

However, the category was "Mashed-up Sitcom titles" and Love Boat is not considered a sitcom. But I like your thinking!

That's what I was wondering, because I said Love Boat, too (did not count it correct). Wikipedia calls it a "romantic comedy/drama"; it ran from when I was about two years old through elementary school but I don't recall my parents watching it and I doubt I've ever actually seen a full episode.

I thought of you, too, @M. Darcy.

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

That's what I was wondering, because I said Love Boat, too (did not count it correct). Wikipedia calls it a "romantic comedy/drama"; it ran from when I was about two years old through elementary school but I don't recall my parents watching it and I doubt I've ever actually seen a full episode.

Love Boat was appointment TV for me in high school and college.  We had a drinking game for it, so I've probably seen most of the episodes, but I may or may not remember all the ones I saw.

• Wink 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

My entire knowledge of Wuthering Heights comes from the Kate Bush song of the same title (best thing to come out of the book, as far as I've heard over the years -- everyone I know who's actually read the damn thing hates it).  It has served me well several times on J!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good link to Second Chance; thanks. Since I don't remember any of those people, this will be all new episodes for me. Hope Ken is hosting. Or maybe I'll be too busy to watch.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Good link to Second Chance; thanks. Since I don't remember any of those people, this will be all new episodes for me. Hope Ken is hosting. Or maybe I'll be too busy to watch.

He is.

A NOTE FROM JEOPARDY! EP MICHAEL DAVIES: NEW HOSTS AND NEW INITIATIVES

Ken will kick off the season in September,

host the inaugural Second Chance competition and the heavily anticipated Tournament of Champions featuring Amy Schneider, Matt Amodio, Mattea Roach, Ryan Long, and many, many more.
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1

Friday's game was a mixed bag for me.  The first round was not particularly good.  I only ran Movie Facts and my only stumper was clement/cement.

DJ, on the other hand, was much better.  I ran History, French Phrases and Mashed Up Sitcom Titles.  I would've run Watercolors if my mouth had said the "Dali" that was in my brain instead of "Degas".  I also got Anne Boleyn and Father Knows Best & Freaks and Geeks.

And yes, I was one of those people who answered King of the Hill & The Big Bang Theory.

Lasers came to me pretty quickly for FJ once I connected "home audio" with cd players.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:04 PM, Katy M said:

I got the entire category of business abbreviations right.

I only got one right in that category: annual percentage rate.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:17 PM, bad things are bad said:

Aaagh. You're spotted the Upper Peninsula,  how do you not get Lower?

Maybe by not knowing there is a Lower Peninsula?  I'll admit to knowing almost nothing about Michigan geography.

On 7/30/2022 at 10:50 AM, MrAtoz said:

No practical applications for lasers?  What about all those death rays and stuff throughout 1950s sci fi?  What about that?  Huh?  Huh?

Those were very top secret, hush hush.  Just like the sharks with fricking laser beams on their heads.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 7/30/2022 at 6:31 PM, M. Darcy said:

Sigh. They really had to end the season with a clue about that bastard Izaak Walton. 

At least it wasn't my nemesis, Alexander Graham Bell.

On 7/31/2022 at 1:23 AM, dcalley said:

My thoughts exactly!

d3154e5c3acf09ab27574724c0c2b331.gif

tumblr_lwj10gOfMe1r55djgo5_r1_250.gifv

I'm probably one of the few people on the planet who vastly prefers the Pat Benatar version of Wuthering Heights to the Kate Bush original.

1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

Since I don't remember any of those people, this will be all new episodes for me.

Sadie Goldberger was the contestant screwed over by her handwriting on the Harriet Tubman clue.  If anyone ever deserved a second chance on Jeopardy, I'd say it was her.  None of the rest are the least bit familiar to me.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

Sadie Goldberger was the contestant screwed over by her handwriting on the Harriet Tubman clue.  If anyone ever deserved a second chance on Jeopardy, I'd say it was her.  None of the rest are the least bit familiar to me.

Yes she was.  It was on June 17, 2022, when she had the right answer, but didn't finish writing it.  She would have won and eliminated Megan Wachspress who had some really lucky and close wins and will be in the Tournament of Champions.  I'll be cheering for Sadie in the Second Chance Tournament, but not Megan!  

• Like 4

Other Second Chance Contestants: 

Tom Philipose, a literary professor lost to Ryan Long on June 2, 2022.  It was a Triple Stumper Final Jeopardy.  Philipose had $18,800 and bet it all winding up with $0.  Ryan wound up with $19,300 and the bad bet cost him a chance at winning.

Alicia O'Hare lost to Yungsheng Wang this month on July 6th.  He was a 3-Day Champion beating her with $36,401 to Alicia's $24,400.  Again it was a bad bet that cost her a chance to win.

Then there's the lady with the Blue hair, the Learned League Member, Rowan Ward who ❤️ed horses and appeared on Aug. 13, 2021.  I'm glad to see her getting a second chance at winning.

Edited by dbklmt
  • Useful 2

Oh, I forgot we were in reruns now.  Just turned on the TV to see Matt Amodio's grinning face.  Turned off the TV.  Nothing against Matt per se.  I'll watch some of the reruns, but it's not "appointment TV" for me.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

my only stumper was clement/cement

I got it because one grandpa worked with cement (we had sidewalks ALL AROUND our house - great for roller skating!) and the other grandpa's name was Klemons, Americanized to Clement.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Oh, I forgot we were in reruns now.  Just turned on the TV to see Matt Amodio's grinning face.  Turned off the TV.  Nothing against Matt per se.  I'll watch some of the reruns, but it's not "appointment TV" for me.

I knew it was going to be a rerun but I’d forgotten Matt was the retuning champion. I didn’t watch much of his run because he bugs me. I gave it another chance today. I changed the channel before double Jeopardy. I’m just not looking forward to the TofC even though I like Amy & Ryan. 

• Like 2

Today's rerun featured Tracy Pitzel, one of the "Second Chance" contestants (I suspect several of these 6 weeks of reruns will feature "Second Chance" contestants). My question: What did she do that merits a "second chance"? Was it because she was one of the few who made sure Matt did not have a runaway game? Was it because if she had gotten FJ right, she would have beaten Matt (who got FJ wrong)? I need details! BTW, tomorrow's show also is a Matt game (I don't know if it has a "second chance" contestant--I didn't pay that much attention. I only knew about Tracy because the station announced that today's show featured a second chance contestant). It's possible that the reruns will also include the final games of each "Super Champ".

I thought Mayim did a really good job of hosting in this rerun.  Maybe it's not her, but the TPTB, we should blame for all her giggling and silliness.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Isaac Applebaum was in the prime-time College Tournament.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Isaac Applebaum was in the prime-time College Tournament.

Yes, he was one of the four semi finalists, but only three moved on to the finals in the College Tournament.  Since he had the lowest money winning total he was the odd man out and they rewarded him for a spot in the Second Chance Tournament.  Hopefully, it doesn't happen again for him as this tournament is set up the same way that this year's College National Championship Tournament was.  

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Today's rerun featured Tracy Pitzel, one of the "Second Chance" contestants (I suspect several of these 6 weeks of reruns will feature "Second Chance" contestants). My question: What did she do that merits a "second chance"? Was it because she was one of the few who made sure Matt did not have a runaway game? Was it because if she had gotten FJ right, she would have beaten Matt (who got FJ wrong)? I need details! BTW, tomorrow's show also is a Matt game (I don't know if it has a "second chance" contestant--I didn't pay that much attention. I only knew about Tracy because the station announced that today's show featured a second chance contestant). It's possible that the reruns will also include the final games of each "Super Champ".

You're right! Matt's games will be for the first three days of this week.  Tomorrows is one of his few close games going into Final Jeopardy.  On Wednesday, he will face the person who beat him, Jonathan Fisher who is also in the Tournament of Champions.

This particular game was the first hosted by Mayim Bialik when Mike Richards got fired.

Edited by dbklmt
Edited to add additional thoughts
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
37 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

On Wednesday, he will face the person who beat him, Jonathan Fisher

Thanks for the heads up so I can schedule being gone that day.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

I know I’m feeling sorry for myself but the second chances tournament is bugging the hell out of me.  When do I get a second chance - where’s the KenVictims tournament? 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 8
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 4
6 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

That would be an AWESOME tournament, and could last an entire season by itself. I give it a big thumbs up. There's still hope @M. Darcy!

We are getting close to the 20th anniversary (just 2 years away) so hope isn’t totally gone. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/1/2022 at 4:37 PM, Roaster said:

I debated about whether or not to watch since I really disliked Matt Amodio.  I made the mistake of watching, which just reminded me of why I'd stopped when he was the champion.  Plus, it really pissed me off that the judges credited him with a correct answer of "Ferdinand" for the clue about the Archduke Franz Ferdinand; they absolutely should've required the "Franz" since "Ferdinand" wasn't his freaking last name.  Just another example of how sloppy the judging has gotten on the last several years.

22 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

That first repeat showed how much Mayim’s styling has improved. 

Yes, it did.  Another channel runs reruns on Sundays, and they recently aired the episode where Mayim wore the leather skirt with the rust-colored blouse and darker rust/brown blazer, an outfit I really liked and which looked great on her.  (See, I CAN say nice things about Mayim. 😏)

On 8/1/2022 at 4:21 PM, dbklmt said:

Other Second Chance Contestants: 

Tom Philipose, a literary professor lost to Ryan Long on June 2, 2022.  It was a Triple Stumper Final Jeopardy.  Philipose had $18,800 and bet it all winding up with $0.  Ryan wound up with $19,300 and the bad bet cost him a chance at winning.

Alicia O'Hare lost to Yungsheng Wang this month on July 6th.  He was a 3-Day Champion beating her with $36,401 to Alicia's $24,400.  Again it was a bad bet that cost her a chance to win.

Then there's the lady with the Blue hair, the Learned League Member, Rowan Ward who ❤️ed horses and appeared on Aug. 13, 2021.  I'm glad to see her getting a second chance at winning.

None of those contestants sound familiar.  I guess they weren't that memorable to me because I didn't consider their losses to be particularly egregious.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:34 AM, M. Darcy said:

I know I’m feeling sorry for myself but the second chances tournament is bugging the hell out of me.  When do I get a second chance - where’s the KenVictims tournament? 

I want a second chance, damn it.  How about those of us who were beaten fair and square by a returning champ because we stupidly rang in a few times with a wrong answer when we could've kept our mouths shut and ended up with enough money after DJ to keep from losing if we bet nothing on FJ?  Don't we deserve another shot at it?  😒

Yeah, I'm joking, but I don't actually like the idea of the Second Chance Tournament unless everyone involved got cheated by bad judging.  Bad wagering/didn't know the FJ answer at all should not count.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Would you want Ken to host the tournament? You could all throw buzzers at him!

Heh.  Not that I’ve been thinking about this for 18 years, but my original idea was we’d all play against each other and the last two left would play against Ken again. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 7

Since this is a rerun and all the important stuff has been hashed out months ago, can I just say I’m liking Mayim’s green/blue color combination. And her flats!  My feet and calves feel better when I see prominent women who aren’t wearing spikey heels. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Driad said:

Last fall I missed a lot of episodes (used the jeopardyfan for FJ).  I'm enjoying seeing these games even though I mostly know how they turned out.  

Yeah, the promos I’m seeing aren’t making any attempt to keep us in suspense. I guess they figure, anyone who’s watching now, is already a fan who knows how things turned out. 

• Sad 1
23 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

the promos I’m seeing aren’t making any attempt to keep us in suspense. I guess they figure, anyone who’s watching now, is already a fan who knows how things turned out.

Not only are the promos (during the show!) telling you who wins on "tomorrow's show", but they are also telling you (or at least hinting) that one of the contestants will be in the second chance tourney.

43 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Not only are the promos (during the show!) telling you who wins on "tomorrow's show", but they are also telling you (or at least hinting) that one of the contestants will be in the second chance tourney.

I was about to say, I’m okay with getting more background on the second chance players, but now that I think about it, if you didn’t know or remember how that rerun came out, I guess that would be a spoiler as well. 

editing after watching - oh yeah, I see why she’s in the second chance tournament!  I’m sure I saw that one the first time around but I forgot what a contest it was!

Edited by SoMuchTV

This Reddit post gives synopses on each of the Second Chance contestants.  (I'm not entirely sure this belongs in the season thread, but I guess so if the reruns feature many of these players.)

I was surprised not to see similar info with the official announcement of their names, and can't say I remembered more than one or two of them (which says nothing about them and everything just about all the many other things in my brain from the past year).

I think it's what they're discussing on the first episode or two of the "Inside Jeopardy" podcast, so I guess they want you to go there instead, but I'm just not interested in more media to follow, so I appreciate that this Redditor did the work.

Interesting to read about how these reruns are being framed.  I have seen a few questions online like  "why is Matt back - is this the ToC already?"  I hadn't thought to wonder whether they were clearly identified as reruns.  Not everyone follows so closely.

• Like 2
On 8/2/2022 at 1:47 PM, M. Darcy said:

my original idea was we’d all play against each other and the last two left would play against Ken again. 

With Mayim hosting? I can't even picture Mayim hosting while Ken plays. It makes me laugh just trying to imagine it.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

With Mayim hosting? I can't even picture Mayim hosting while Ken plays. It makes me laugh just trying to imagine it.

Thanks for that mental video that indeed is hilarious. That whole Ken Victims Tournament is such a fab idea, I love everything about it. Ken actually ruined $100,000 Pyramid for me, I can't watch it any more after he smoked his episode. Too many "not smart" people on after his turn.

I'm thinking the reruns are starting with the big winner, then the person who beat him, then the person who beat that person and so on. So I see the theme of it, it's kinda cool. If I am correct.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I'm thinking the reruns are starting with the big winner, then the person who beat him, then the person who beat that person and so on. So I see the theme of it, it's kinda cool. If I am correct.

Exactly!  We're going to see all the Tournament of Champions and Second Chance contestants in the six weeks of reruns before Season 39 begins on Sept. 12th.

The first three days gave us 2 Tournament of Champions and one Second Chance contestant, Jessica Stephens.  Interesting that Jessica Stephens beat Matt, but unfortunately for her, so did Jonathan Fisher.  She's definitely a good choice for the Second Chance Tournament.

The next two days will spotlight 6-day Jeopardy Champion, Tyler Rhode, but no Second Chance Contestants.

I actually like watching the reruns and Matt's games were his closest in his winning streak.

I've discovered that it doesn't matter if I've seen it before, I still get the same wrong answers that I got the first time around.  I know one category I'll be running again on Friday's show in Double Jeopardy--Musical Touring Companies 🥰!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, dbklmt said:
3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Exactly!  We're going to see all the Tournament of Champions and Second Chance contestants in the six weeks of reruns before Season 39 begins on Sept. 12th.

The first three days gave us 2 Tournament of Champions and one Second Chance contestant, Jessica Stephens

2 Second Chancers: you forgot Tracy Pitzel (from the first rerun).

• Thanks 1

We get J! on the NBC affiliate, which is going to be having some football thing tonight, starting at 7.  SO -- All you Metro Atlanta folks, if you wanna watch, it's on Channel 36.  As the channel 11 newsreader was announcing this, the closed captioning said "Willow Fortune and Jeopardy! will be seen on WATL, Channel 36."  I think I have a new nom-de-net: Willow Fortune.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10
8 hours ago, PBnJay said:

That's cool. I missed tonight because I left work late and then had to go to the grocery store on my way home.