Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 8/4/2022 at 2:15 PM, dbklmt said:

I've discovered that it doesn't matter if I've seen it before, I still get the same wrong answers that I got the first time around.

On 7/30/2022 at 11:10 AM, Trey said:

I will be here during reruns to see if I learned anything.

Interestingly, if it was something I did “know” but couldn’t remember when it first aired, I am getting it in the reruns, but if I wasn’t knowledgeable about it the first time, I don’t know it in the rerun either.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Sometimes I still get the same wrong answer but, if it was a topic that interested me, I would do some research on it and then I get the correct answer.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Was last night's show supposed to convince me that Jeff Smith deserved to be in the Second Chance Tournament?  Because all I saw was someone who got FJ wrong and lost, just as it's supposed to happen when you get the answer wrong and someone else gets it correct.  In fact, all it did was convince me that the entire Second Chance Tournament is bogus to begin with.  As far as I can see, Sadie Goldberger is the only one who deserves to be brought back because her loss was a judging error, not a wrong answer/bad bet.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I didn't see any reason to bring him back either.  At least not regarding FJ.  Didn't he and the other non-winner lose points earlier in the game because judges decided their answers were wrong? Maybe it was something to do with that. 

But that might have happened another night to two different people.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 1

I could be wrong, but based on the last two nights, it seems to me they are bringing back people who did really well overall.  The previous night Cindy had 16,000 before she lost (and I think if I remember correctly if she had bet it all she would have won).  And last night Jeff had 16,000 before he lost.  So it doesn't seem to matter why they lost, they played well overall thus giving them a second chance.    

Edited by SierraMist
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
31 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I could be wrong, but based on the last two nights, it seems to me they are bringing back people who did really well overall.  The previous night Cindy had 16,000 before she lost (and I think if I remember correctly if she had bet it all she would have won).  And last night Jeff had 16,000 before he lost.  So it doesn't seem to matter why they lost, they played well overall thus giving them a second chance.    

Still seems pointless to me.  Hell, I had around $11,000 before I lost it on FJ, give me a second chance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 1

Per Jeopardy Archive, Jeff Smith's Coryat score was $23,200 which is high.  So he was a good player.

But yes, he lost fair and square according to the rules of the game as hundreds of contestants over the years have.  He missed FJ and he missed both Daily Doubles he found.  You do that and you probably will lose.

I, too, am getting skeptical about the second-chance tournament.  I thought it was a good idea at first, but I now think it's so the producers can put together games they think will be close and featuring contestants they want to showcase.  10 of the 18 in the second chance pool are women, while only 4 of the top 14 on the TOC qualifier list so far are women.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I feel like they're cramming Mayim down our throats.  I can't find anywhere where the host is named, just the contestants.  I have to watch the beginning of the show and then change the channel when I find she's on.

I tried The Jeopardy Fan and not only is it not listed but the co-hosting announcement really ticked  me off..."I also hope that this announcement will stop the constant lobbying from so-called “fans” who, often for misogynistic or anti-Semitic reasons, do not want to see Bialik hosting."  Uh....after all the guest hosts my first choice was Robin Roberts, second Buzzy Cohen, then Ken. 

I've asked friends, none of whom watch Jeopardy, about her.  The reaction has been "Who?".  Till I tell them she was on Big Bang Theory.  Then they say they like her.  Me?  I never watched Big Bang and my only experience with her has been her commercial and her Jeopardy performance.  Fail.

I've been ready to give up on Jeopardy and then Ken shows up and I'm happy temporarily.  I don't think this will last.....they'll eventually have her on too long for me to even watch to check.

• Sad 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, deemac said:

I tried The Jeopardy Fan and not only is it not listed but the co-hosting announcement really ticked  me off..."I also hope that this announcement will stop the constant lobbying from so-called “fans” who, often for misogynistic or anti-Semitic reasons, do not want to see Bialik hosting because she sucks at it and is a crap host." 

I fixed it for The Jeopardy Fan.

You're welcome, Andy.

• Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, deemac said:

I feel like they're cramming Mayim down our throats.  I can't find anywhere where the host is named, just the contestants.  I have to watch the beginning of the show and then change the channel when I find she's on.

I tried The Jeopardy Fan and not only is it not listed but the co-hosting announcement really ticked  me off..."I also hope that this announcement will stop the constant lobbying from so-called “fans” who, often for misogynistic or anti-Semitic reasons, do not want to see Bialik hosting."  Uh....after all the guest hosts my first choice was Robin Roberts, second Buzzy Cohen, then Ken. 

I've asked friends, none of whom watch Jeopardy, about her.  The reaction has been "Who?".  Till I tell them she was on Big Bang Theory.  Then they say they like her.  Me?  I never watched Big Bang and my only experience with her has been her commercial and her Jeopardy performance.  Fail.

I've been ready to give up on Jeopardy and then Ken shows up and I'm happy temporarily.  I don't think this will last.....they'll eventually have her on too long for me to even watch to check.

The JBoard post shows the rerun schedule and the Archive marks the first game of Mayim or Ken hosting. It continues with one host or the other until it switches.

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=379905#p379905

https://j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=38

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Wednesday FJ: When this game was first broadcast, I thought that "this Asian nation" meant a nation on the continent of Asia.  I don't recall whether I realized in time that they included islands.  Possible that the contestant who said India had the same problem.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I DID manage to remember the correct response was NOT Brenda Starr, and managed to drag Lois Lane out of the recesses of my mind.

Same! 

On 12/20/2021 at 8:09 PM, shapeshifter said:

When I thought of Brenda Starr, I thought it odd that I'd never before read that she was "inspired by movie character Torchy Blane of the Morning Herald, she has since gone on to win a fictional Pulitzer." My red-haired, starry-eyed daughter was a newspaper reporter for 12 years, so I had Googled Brenda Starr a few times, and should have heard of a Pulitzer, but I didn't bother trying to think of another fictional reporter in the time left, and so grew hopeful for no real reason, only to be brought back to reality when the correct response of Lois Lane was revealed.

And I mainly got FJ Lois Lane this time because her name rhymes with Torchy Blane, so that made sense to me in the world of Jeopardy! Cluedom.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Dunno if there is a better spot for this question, but does anybody know if there’s been a determination of who is fastest on the buzzer among Amy, Matt and Mattea?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, South said:

Dunno if there is a better spot for this question, but does anybody know if there’s been a determination of who is fastest on the buzzer among Amy, Matt and Mattea?

I'm sure someone will have the real answer for this, but it seemed to me that Matt and Mattea (especially Matt) would buzz in first and then work out the answer to the clue based on the wording of the clue. And they were both knowledgeable enough to be able to do that.  It seemed like Amy only buzzed in if she knew the answer right away.  I think Matt will have the advantage because of his style of play.  Which makes me prefer Amy or Mattea.  Just a personal opinion.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 8/17/2022 at 7:06 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I DID manage to remember the correct response was NOT Brenda Starr, and managed to drag Lois Lane out of the recesses of my mind.

While I said Brenda Starr once again. Some people never learn. But now that I know Torchy Blane rhymes with Lois Lane, I'll get it right the next time this ep reruns. So thanks!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I'm sure someone will have the real answer for this, but it seemed to me that Matt and Mattea (especially Matt) would buzz in first and then work out the answer to the clue based on the wording of the clue. And they were both knowledgeable enough to be able to do that.  It seemed like Amy only buzzed in if she knew the answer right away.  I think Matt will have the advantage because of his style of play.  Which makes me prefer Amy or Mattea.  Just a personal opinion.  

Interesting.   I’m pulling for Amy.  I’d also be over-joyed for Ryan to slay.  It’s going to be a great tournament regardless.

• Like 3

Am I the only person who is finding too many of the questions Kindergarten Jeopardy worthy?  Surely it shouldn't be about who can buzz in fastest knowing the question/answer will be a no-brainer.  Why can't this show showcase contestants with a depth of knowledge?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I just saw horrible news - they are moving Jeopardy to 330 pm in the Washington DC area. Do they think people don’t work during the day anymore? 

Do you get Fox Baltimore? It's on at 7 pm ET.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I just saw horrible news - they are moving Jeopardy to 330 pm in the Washington DC area. Do they think people don’t work during the day anymore? 

It's been on a 3:30 for decades where I live (Chicagoland) before I retired I just recorded it. Even now I watch it with the dvr so I can ff through the commercials. It's not horrible.

• Love 2

Many years ago, our NBC affiliate that airs Jeopardy! wanted to put more news on at 7, so they moved Wheel to 7:30 and J! was moved to something like 3 PM.  I decided that's because they figured J! viewers could actually program a VCR, whereas Wheel watchers...

That only lasted a few months til they moved their news program to 5 PM & restored Wheel & J! to their rightful places.

• LOL 15

Does anyone know if more people watched Jeopardy during covid, in the areas where Jeopardy airs during the day?  There is a perception that Jeopardy fans are older (retired?) but I don't know whether that is because it often airs during the day, or vice versa. 

• Useful 1
On 8/19/2022 at 10:26 PM, Leeds said:

Am I the only person who is finding too many of the questions Kindergarten Jeopardy worthy?  Surely it shouldn't be about who can buzz in fastest knowing the question/answer will be a no-brainer.  Why can't this show showcase contestants with a depth of knowledge?

I never thought of it before…Kindergarten Jeopardy.  I’d spend my last dollar to watch that!

• Fire 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Jeopardy has been on here at 4:30 p.m. since forever. I only knew about Ken Jennings when I had a day off and was at a friend's house and she had to watch it to see if Ken won again. I used to be able to listen to it on my radio at work or when driving home from work when tv was analog. Never knew the players though, except Ken and then only because of my friend. Now that I work at home, time no longer matters.

Wheel has always been on at 6:30. I think J watchers being more able to program a VCR is a valid point!

10 hours ago, South said:

I never thought of it before…Kindergarten Jeopardy.  I’d spend my last dollar to watch that!

Save your money and watch Generation Gap ... if you can stand it.

• Like 1
On 8/19/2022 at 10:26 PM, Leeds said:

Everything I know anything about is obvious (sometimes to the point of not even being able to tell what response they want because all relevant info appears to already be in the clue) while topics I know nothing about are either completely mystifying or have included enough hints to lead me to the response. Apparently from the beginning of the reboot in 1984 Art Fleming was already scolding the show for larding the clues with hints. 

IMO trivia and depth are antithetical. You can't go deep without limiting the breadth of topics. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 8/21/2022 at 12:04 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

IMO trivia and depth are antithetical. You can't go deep without limiting the breadth of topics. 

But I maintain you can have both - the British show "Mastermind" is a case in point.  There are two rounds, specialized subject and general knowledge.  If you win, the specialized subject in your next appearance has to be different.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I haven't watched any Jeopardy! since S38 ended. (I don't have any interest in repeats, JMO.) Do we have an actual date for when new content begins? I'm assuming the Second Chance Tournament is up next, followed by the TOC. I'd like to mark my calendar with the date so I don't miss anything new.

14 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I haven't watched any Jeopardy! since S38 ended. (I don't have any interest in repeats, JMO.) Do we have an actual date for when new content begins? I'm assuming the Second Chance Tournament is up next, followed by the TOC. I'd like to mark my calendar with the date so I don't miss anything new.

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And the new season starts September 12

• Thanks 3
  • Useful 10
14 hours ago, PaulaO said:

God, how I hate Mattea.  As a contestant not as a person, but I’m sure she would annoy me just as much if I met her socially.

She mostly annoys me when she gets a daily double.  Just make your wager. We don't need to hear your thought process or your regrets after the fact.  Also, we don't need to hear you say, I think it's when you give an answer.  We don't care if it's a guess, or if you're sure.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

She mostly annoys me when she gets a daily double.  Just make your wager. We don't need to hear your thought process or your regrets after the fact.  Also, we don't need to hear you say, I think it's when you give an answer.  We don't care if it's a guess, or if you're sure.

Actually, I do. It's interesting to me to see if a guess works - as that is what happens on our couch as well.

• Love 8
On 8/20/2022 at 8:40 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Many years ago, our NBC affiliate that airs Jeopardy! wanted to put more news on at 7, so they moved Wheel to 7:30 and J! was moved to something like 3 PM.  I decided that's because they figured J! viewers could actually program a VCR, whereas Wheel watchers...

That only lasted a few months til they moved their news program to 5 PM & restored Wheel & J! to their rightful places.

I live in the Central time zone and my local affiliates (there have been two here ABC & NBC) have always shown it during the day except for one season when it came on at 6:00 pm. But the competing channels always had news at that time so the NBC affiliate gave up the show & the ABC affiliate started showing it at 3:00 with a repeat at 3:30. They have since switched it to show the repeat at 3 and the new one at 3:30. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I think they are trying to avoid all the other contestants being wiped out by Matt and Amy in the first round.

I wondered if it was actually the opposite - they state that the contestants are randomly drawn for each game (in the initial round, at least) and I thought they were trying to avoid having Matt, Amy and/or Mattea face off too early.

Mind you, if they had stuck with the original tournament format there still would have been wild cards so it may not have mattered.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I wondered if it was actually the opposite - they state that the contestants are randomly drawn for each game (in the initial round, at least) and I thought they were trying to avoid having Matt, Amy and/or Mattea face off too early

You mean they wanted to be sure Matt & Amy didn’t get wiped out too early? 
I think it could be both that and they didn’t want Matt & Amy making mincemeat out of the others too early.

• Love 2

There is one single bit of precedent for the "seeding" thing:  Ken Jennings himself.

Ken never actually played in an ordinary TOC.  Shortly after his run was over, they had what was called The Ultimate Tournament of Champions.  This was a 15-week tournament with 145 of the best contestants from the show's past.  Ken was given an automatic bye into the final round.  So the other 144 contestants were competing for one of two spots to compete against Ken.

I think the idea was to save Ken for the end, the sort of "climax" to the event.  And also to keep him from possibly losing earlier!

In the end, the finalists were Ken, Brad Rutter, and Jerome Vered.  As we all know, Brad beat Ken, to the shock of almost everyone.  But imagine what might have happened if Ken and Brad had met in, say, the first round of the tournament, and Ken had been eliminated right then and there!  I wonder if people would have kept watching, or if the fact that Ken was already out would have led to viewers abandoning the tournament early?

I believe that saving Matt, Amy, and Mattea for the end is the same kind of thinking.

• Like 3
  • Useful 8
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I believe that saving Matt, Amy, and Mattea for the end is the same kind of thinking.

Exactly, and anyone whose job it is to produce television would be a fool not to.

• Like 6
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Exactly, and anyone whose job it is to produce television would be a fool not to.

Except it gives them an unfair advantage which is the absolute antithesis of what Jeopardy is supposed to be about, imo.  Which is why I'm seriously considering not watching.

• Love 4