Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Glad others were also confused about the radius and diameter rule. I missed the next several clues trying to parse this one out. The best I could do is realize that maybe the clue was referring to two different circles, each with the same radii and diameter. But when they read the clue, I thought they were looking for two equal measurements in the same circle. Then, I was extremely confused as to how a circle’s radius could equal its diameter, when the diameter is by definition 2r. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, TV is my friend said:

I was confused, too.  I thought it was supposed to be "diameter and circumference."  I thought that "diameter and radius" was redundant.

Once you have radius you can always calculate the diameter by multiplying by 2. But similarly once you have the radius you can also calculate the circumference as 2πr, so you need only one of the three to calculate the others and/or prove the circles are equal.  I was as baffled as Daniel. 

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Or is that some kind of Euclidean rule that only mentioned the first two?

Found the Euclid: book III definition 1

There isn't really a word for radius in the Greek, but radius is used in the English translation because that's what he meant by "from the centre". 

As a Jeopardy clue if you know anything about deductive geometry it feels arbitrary to ask for both. It does boil down to specifically knowing Euclid. 

Ισοι κύκλοι εἰσίν, ὧν αἱ διάμετροι ἴσαι εἰσίν, ἢ ὧν αἱ ἐκ τῶν κέντρων ἴσαι εἰσίν

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Added Greek.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

My Polish grandfather's first name was Klemons. I should have gotten FJ, but got stuck on "Grazie" and decided the perp was Graziella, Riff's girlfriend in West Side Story. Then I segued into singing "When You're A Jet..."  I get distracted easily.

ETA: I was gobsmacked that "Date" was a TS.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

That one confused me. If they were equal, wouldn’t the diameter and the radius and the circumference and the area all be the same?  Or is that some kind of Euclidean rule that only mentioned the first two?

10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Found the Euclid: book III definition 1

Euclid did not know the exact value of pi (http://mathrefresher.blogspot.com/2006/04/euclid-and-pi.html), which is necessary to prove the exact value of a circumference, and so the Jeopardy! clue of

• "According to Euclid, equal circles are those for which either of these 2 measurements are equal--makes sense"

would not have the word circumference in a correct response from a contestant.

I imagine our Math Teacher Champion was sorting all this out but didn't have time to bring the correct response. His "radius" answer is not mathematically wrong, but did not fit the clue, because of his:

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"burden of knowledge" (Buzzy).

https://twitter.com/buzztronics/status/1440520643515072525?s=20

ETA: If Geometry is anywhere in @Bastet's wheelhouse, I am sure they can explain this more succinctly and way better.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

If I had been on the show last night, I would've wagered next to nothing because I know zilch about Italian - and then regretted it for life because The Godfather is my favorite movie and I knew the answer instantly lol.

Very happy to see Mayim back this week.

• Love 6
(edited)

The problem with the Euclid question and eiclids definition is if the radius of two circles are the same, the diameter will also be the same.  And vice versa.  It's redundant to include both. One is calculated from the other. They are basically the same type of measure.  That is why I think they were assuming it was circumference and radius/ diameter, those are two different types of measurement and less redundant. Yes circumference is calculated as well form radius/ diameter based on pie but it's a different measure of the circle rather than a variation of the same measure. 

Edited to add :  covered by others I see and I agree. Odd phrasing 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

If I had been on the show last night, I would've wagered next to nothing because I know zilch about Italian - and then regretted it for life because The Godfather is my favorite movie and I knew the answer instantly lol.

Very happy to see Mayim back this week.

Couldn't believe that nobody got FJ, almost brought me to tears, insta get for me too.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, TV is my friend said:

I don't care what Mayim said - the song is "Venus," not "And Venus Was Her Name."  I gave myself credit for knowing the TS after I checked and saw that Bananarama's official video is titled "Venus" and I found the song's lyrics online, and the song title was shown as "Venus."

I remember the original "Venus" by Shocking Blue in 1969. I translated it for my German school classmates (along with dirty words, and anything English they wanted to know...made me popular - the only time in my life)

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Aw, nobody remembered the name of Clemenza, the speaker of my favorite line in The Godfather:  "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

I remember the line, but not the name (and not the scenario in the clue).

As expected, not a great game for me, but at least I didn't sleep through it (took a strategic nap just before).

• Love 6

Mayim was trying too hard to be cute; she should have made it clearer that the song title is "Venus."

I'm sure if another host had made that comment, some people would have considered it clever... 😉

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I'm sure if another host had made that comment, some people would have considered it clever... 😉

Maybe, but I was honestly confused for a second when she said it. "That's not really the song title, is it?" 

• Love 5

So glad Mallory was a one and done.  She was kinda too quirky - like a manic pixie dream contestant - in her first game and it was much worse last night.  Plus that shirt she wore was ridiculous.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Ugh, I got a bit lost early on and almost gave up on keeping score. Wishing I had because I did terribly tonight. Ran 4! and all but failed Geometry (got one); everything else was somewhere in between. My TSes were club, T2, Hebrew National, Venus, and Days of Wine & Roses.

Anything math related is a nightmare category for me, so I was pleasant surprised to actually get one right in Geometry.  I said radius and diameter but only after circumference had been eliminated.  I did get Venus, date, Walkers, days of wine & roses, Hebrew National, and "Go West, Young Man", although I am now picturing Horace Greeley as a Vulcan.  I did terribly in Sci Fi Trilogies, only getting the two lowest value clues right; haven't even heard of the last three.

I did not get FJ.  I knew it had to be a character from The Godfather but it's been decades since I've seen it, and all I could think of was "Luca Brazzi sleeps with the fishes tonight", which did not help.  And while I do know some Italian, the word for mercy is not part of that knowledge.  Although clemenza makes perfect sense.

16 hours ago, Trey said:

I did get the ts's or missed DDs of Go West Young Man, stoning, date, happy hour, and days of wine and roses.

If I'd had more time, I probably would've gotten stoning because I remember being interested in rock tumblers when I was a kid and had heard "lapidary" in that context, but not recently enough for it to be dragged out of my brain in time.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm always disappointed when someone answers a 50 Cent clue without saying "Fiddy" instead of "Fifty".

Me, too.  Or they could at least call him Mr. Fifty Cent Piece, like Miranda Hart's character in Spy.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I had to look up the "Drivers License" song; that's the only song I didn't know in that category from the lyrics, and once the title was revealed, it still meant nothing to me, so I gave it a listen -- never heard it before in my life, so I could have sat here until I expired and not come up with that.

I have unfortunately heard that lousy (actually terrible) song what seems like a zillion times on the local Top 40 station while trying to win their current money contest.  I groaned when I saw those lyrics.

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

ETA: I was gobsmacked that "Date" was a TS.

Me, too.  That one seemed so obvious.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Maybe, but I was honestly confused for a second when she said it. "That's not really the song title, is it?" 

Yep, that was my problem.  I was like "Wait, the title is just Venus, right?".  It wasn't an unclever comment but it was confusing in reference to the clue.  And yes, I'd have felt exactly the same had it been Ken who said it.  Now, if it had been Brad . . . 

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Anything math related is a nightmare category for me, so I was pleasant surprised to actually get one right in Geometry.

Me, too, but oddly enough I actually did pretty well in high school geometry. (But that was a long time ago...)

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, that was my problem.  I was like "Wait, the title is just Venus, right?".  It wasn't an unclever comment but it was confusing in reference to the clue.  And yes, I'd have felt exactly the same had it been Ken who said it.  Now, if it had been Brad . . . 

It was her delivery. You need to really punch up the Venus so we hear 'And "Venus" was her name.' and not '"And Venus Was Her Name".' But also your audience needs to recognize it's quoting the lyrics. 

• Love 3

i was disappointed in the acceptance of "409" for the question about a product claiming that it's name does not contain an area code. The answer of "409" is not only incorrect, but doesn't fit the question.

and yes, the missing inflection on "Venus" in the quote made all the difference between clever and confusing. I had that song pop up on an 80's slacker stream last night before the show and it's been an earworm since even though i skipped to next song as fast as possible. I think that the clue cemented it.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, zapper said:

i was disappointed in the acceptance of "409" for the question about a product claiming that it's name does not contain an area code. The answer of "409" is not only incorrect, but doesn't fit the question.

and yes, the missing inflection on "Venus" in the quote made all the difference between clever and confusing. I had that song pop up on an 80's slacker stream last night before the show and it's been an earworm since even though i skipped to next song as fast as possible. I think that the clue cemented it.

I actually googled Formula 409 after that clue and the first line of the wikipedia article says "Formula 409 or 409" (my quibble was that 409 is not the product name but I guess it's an acceptable usage). But the "contain" language does suggest they wanted more than just the number. 

I've had that song stuck in my head since last night.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA: If Geometry is anywhere in @Bastet's wheelhouse, I am sure they can explain this more succinctly and way better.

Geometry is not even in the same solar system as my wheelhouse; it made freshman year of high school miserable and is responsible for the one and only "C" I ever got in my life.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I've had that song stuck in my head since last night.

Which one? Venus or (Giddyup, Giddyup) 409 by the Beach Boys?

• LOL 7
22 hours ago, 853fisher said:

By the way, 100% of people I know who have been on the show after meeting me have become champions. 

If I ever get the call, I'm looking you up. Not to worry though since it's becoming more hopeless every year.

17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought I was the only person who has never seen The Godfather. I'm amazed to find out I clearly am not.

I saw it in the theater when it first came out 50 years ago. Geesh, who can remember any of the characters' names after five decades. (Rhetorical question, don't answer.)

• Love 4
(edited)

33 minutes ago, Trey said:

Which one? Venus or (Giddyup, Giddyup) 409 by the Beach Boys?

Venus. It's still there, too. Allll. day. long.

fire-venus.gif

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

Also from Tuesday night.....BE MORE SPECIFIC.!!!!  Curie you take as an answer?  Really?   I know it was Marie and she is best known but they are a whole family of famous scientists.  

And the worst part is Mayim has a PHD in neuroscience. She is a female scientist.  She obviously knows there is more than one Curie. Or she should. 

• Love 5

Pure conjecture, but I think that the calls for a BMS clarification come from the judges in the host's ear, not the host themselves. Just like the ruling.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Geometry is not even in the same solar system as my wheelhouse; it made freshman year of high school miserable and is responsible for the one and only "C" I ever got in my life.

I got a failure slip and my mom had to talk to the teacher (I believe her name was Miss Radke).  Mom told me not to fail so my BFF (who also got a failure slip) and I rallied and got  Cs as final grades.  Geometry never made sense and I can’t even fathom having to prove a theorem.

• Love 2

I'm not unhappy Daniel won, but I think Charly could have been a fun champion.  I was excited when she seemed to be building up a head of steam at the end of DJ for a moment, and I take it she really liked "Pride and Prejudice."

But I won't pick her for a travel buddy.  She took Uber 90 miles (I also thought the distance should have been quantified - I bet some didn't know where at least one of those places are), took her photos, and turned right around?

I mean, it's her money, but that's just not a cost / benefit balance that makes sense to me.  At least give yourself a few hours to explore around there.  She said she doesn't drive, like me, but there's a Monterey-Salinas Transit bus across the bridge for $3.50.  Yeesh.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Ha - Kit Carson!

Archive game for me.

The copyright, punctuation, and Vietnam War TS surprised me.

I'd have had a great first round if not for that damn Billboard category.  Seeing the pictures wouldn't have helped me any with the three I missed, because I've never heard of them.  Other than that, I got all but pearls and Shamrock Shake.

I was fairly meh in DJ, though.  I didn't run anything.  I got all but one in three categories, but missed three in apologies and two each in the others.

I correctly guessed FJ, but wasn't entirely confident in it.

• Love 7
(edited)

Not a great game but I ran Subtitled Nonfiction (I've read Over the Edge of the World and Eats, Shoots and Leaves; the others were easy to figure out from context). I got Paula Abdul from "Straight Up" (without the video) and Panic! At the Disco from the exclamation point in the clue; got John Legend from the video but I've never even heard of the other two bands in that category. My TSes were punctuation, cobbler, Kit Carson(!),  salmonella, and Auntie Mame.

Didn't know the Native American divorce clue so I threw out Kit Carson and then laughed for a good half a minute when I heard I was right. 😄

Still on that circular track for the FJ contest... One more day to go!

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

But I won't pick her for a travel buddy.  She took Uber 90 miles (I also thought the distance should have been quantified - I bet some didn't know where at least one of those places are), took her photos, and turned right around?

I gathered it wasn't a short trip but I had no clue how far apart they might be.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

I did get shamrock shake.  McDonald's was a big treat when I was young - now there aren't any convenient to me and I prefer not to give my business to corporate chains anyway.  But I did enjoy those shakes "back in the day."  I couldn't help but think that their 50th anniversary celebration around St Patrick's Day 2020 was probably a bit...muted.

Kit Carson!  And a Mr Darcy question!!

I’m sad no one knew the Tallchiefs and Camelot. Heh and a bit annoyed no one knew Auntie Mame. Everyone should know Auntie Mame. 

• Love 19

Woo hoo!  I got FJ!  That makes one for this week.

And also, Woo hoo! for Kit Carson!  I got that one, too, although it was a guess.

And I got the TS of Hot Springs, punctuation, Salmonella, Auntie Mame, and Aunt Polly.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

1. Kit Carson was a TS? I laughed out loud!

2. Kit Carson's wife was named Making-Out Road???  My 14-year-old inner self is hyperventilating!

How about Camelot? Geez. Maybe I’m just old. 

• Love 1

I knew Kit Carson would spark plenty of reaction here!

I also got Tallchief, Camelot, the Vietnam War, the Mexico City DD, Auntie Mame, Ann Dowd, and Aunt Polly. I made a lucky guess on FJ.

• Love 5
On 5/11/2022 at 7:42 PM, TV is my friend said:

Bananarama's official video is titled "Venus" and I found the song's lyrics online, and the song title was shown as "Venus."

Feh on Bananarama.  I have the 45 original by Shocking Blue. And the name was Venus 

• Love 4

Do you think they would have accepted "tart" for "fruity dessert occupation" (or however it was worded)?

(Sorry, it's where my mind immediately went.)

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Do you think they would have accepted "tart" for "fruity dessert occupation" (or however it was worded)?

Clue under "Occupational Homonyms":

Not just an occupation, it's also a type of fruity pie.

I said tart also, but I don't think you can stretch "tart" as being an occupation. Therefore "cobbler".

Edited by chessiegal
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

What is the Kit Carson joke? 

I was crushed that no one knew MLK opposed the Vietnam War.

But I was secretly happy no one knew Aunt Polly. I hate that book and like to imagine some people were spared the hell of reading it.

• LOL 1
30 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was completely lost on that billboard music category.  One of them I didn't even know what they were talking about or understand the question. 

When that happens my answer is “what is I do not understand the question.”

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

So many ts's.  I did get a few of them: Death Valley, cobbler, punctuation, and Auntie Mame.  I was embarrassed that I missed Kit Carson - said Dan'l Boone instead - but I did appreciate the shoutout to the board🙂 Tallchief was on the tip of my tongue but wouldn't come out.

My first FJ for the week.  I thought it was either Australia or New Zealand but I wasn't sure New Zealand has states but know Australia does so I went with that.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Leeds said:

Your idea reminded me of Ken Jennings' "What is a ho[e]" in response to "This long-handled garden tool can also mean an immoral pleasure seeker."

10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Clue under "Occupational Homonyms":

I said tart also, but I don't think you can stretch "tart" as being an occupation. Therefore "cobbler".

Did anyone else think of the "squat cobbler" from Better Call Saul?

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

But I was secretly happy no one knew Aunt Polly. I hate that book and like to imagine some people were spared the hell of reading it.

Agreed, though its sequel Huckleberry Finn is very much worth reading, despite the problematic use of the n-word. I think it should be read by mature high schoolers only.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3