Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Unconventional Movie Nite!

• Start Topic

I'm going to be vacation so I will be unable to snark with you until way later. Here are my predictions for movie theater/movie set challenge. Someone will use the paper bags they hold popcorn in. Someone else may use candy wrappers. As always, someone is going to use fabric or too much fabric. Sandhya will pull up the floorboards and use them as shoulder pads. Someone (maybe Kini) will make something very conventional and the judges will complain he didn't embrace the fun spirit of the challenge by making something so safe. The person who actually can't sew very well will be revealed to us. Bonus points if it's not Angela. I will forget that Sean is there. 

I'm going to be vacation so I will be unable to snark with you until way later. Here are my predictions for movie theater/movie set challenge. Someone will use the paper bags they hold popcorn in. Someone else may use candy wrappers. As always, someone is going to use fabric or too much fabric. Sandhya will pull up the floorboards and use them as shoulder pads. Someone (maybe Kini) will make something very conventional and the judges will complain he didn't embrace the fun spirit of the challenge by making something so safe. The person who actually can't sew very well will be revealed to us. Bonus points if it's not Angela. I will forget that Sean is there. 

which one is Sean?  they need to take a page from RuPauls Drag Race, I knew more names when they introduced them in 2 groups.  Someone will definitely use the curtains, no matter how many times they are told, to the point of annoyance that this is an unconventional materials challenge and that the judges will be most disappointed if they use anything conventional.  But I thought unconventional materials was normally a little further in.  I hope they get more than a day to do this challenge.  Unconventional materials have produced some of the prettiest designs, I can't remember who used a bunch of hats and turned it into a beautiful dress.  I think it might have been Leyana and Kate, and I despised Leyana.

I can't remember who used a bunch of hats and turned it into a beautiful dress.  I think it might have been Leyana and Kate, and I despised Leyana.

It was Kate and Helen. Helen announced during the first episode that she was going to feud with Kate, so this challenge marked the beginning of her two-pronged girlygirl bestie strategy. Kate did most of the work.

I think whoever does the velvet rope bustier wins.

It was Kate and Helen. Helen announced during the first episode that she was going to feud with Kate, so this challenge marked the beginning of her two-pronged girlygirl bestie strategy. Kate did most of the work.

I think whoever does the velvet rope bustier wins.

Oops, I despised Helen too.  And I think she somehow took credit for the dress, and then crowed about how much better she was than Patricia because she won something even though she didn't do the work.  IIRC, but I couldn't even remember Helen's name so what do I know

LMAO about the velvet rope bustier - you're right, that's probably coming but depending on who does it, I agree that it should win.  If Mitchell Perry attempts it, it will likely be a hot mess, but I can see him going more "Forever 21" romper on this one.  I'm thinking Korina may be the one with the "my design is so amazing that even if I do it in drapes...which are like fabric...which Tim told me not to use....its so awesome the judges will still put me in the top 3 for sure"

We don't have velvet ropes at our theater but we do have nasty bright yellow plastic seat covers to reserve seats.  By nasty I mean they have soda and food stains.  Maybe someone can make a jumpsuit from them.

• Love 1

We don't have velvet ropes at our theater but we do have nasty bright yellow plastic seat covers to reserve seats.  By nasty I mean they have soda and food stains.  Maybe someone can make a jumpsuit from them.

I feel an original Mitchell Perry design moment!

which one is Sean?

Exactly. No, but really, he was the one that made the black and purple dress that looked like it had an "A" on it. Not sure if that was for Adultery, Anarchy, or The Avengers. 

I hope they get more than a day to do this challenge.

Doubtful if the last few seasons are anything to go by. I don't know how Lifetime can have so much product placement and yet be so cheap about giving them time and often a budget for materials. I remember the dress Chloe made when they did the florist/plant version of unconventional materials. It was simple but it takes a long time to lay out tiny leaves like that. And when you're doing unconventional materials a lot of time there's going to be more gluing than sewing. Glue takes time to dry. 

• Love 3

Exactly. No, but really, he was the one that made the black and purple dress that looked like it had an "A" on it. Not sure if that was for Adultery, Anarchy, or The Avengers. 

Doubtful if the last few seasons are anything to go by. I don't know how Lifetime can have so much product placement and yet be so cheap about giving them time and often a budget for materials. I remember the dress Chloe made when they did the florist/plant version of unconventional materials. It was simple but it takes a long time to lay out tiny leaves like that. And when you're doing unconventional materials a lot of time there's going to be more gluing than sewing. Glue takes time to dry. 

well that explains part of it.  I thought that dress was lame, and not very springy, although the back was nice.  I can't even remember what he looks like.  LMAO @ "the Avengers"

The one day challenges, especially for unconventional materials irritates me.  Because when shit starts falling apart on the runway they cop an attitude, and what do you expect?  And now, with the majority of the challenges being one day, now they are taking a "closer look" at the top and bottom designs.  Do you really expect perfect seaming and construction when you give them half the time?  Even with two and three day challenges, people would send unfinished crap down the runway.

• Love 5

They sure didn't give Sean much camera time, but he stood out to me for his (adorbs) Kiwi accent. Hopefully we will see and hear more of him soon!

• Love 4

In the "this season on PR..." preview we got after last week's episode, I saw a dress that appeared to be made out of movie tickets. It looked pretty awesome, so I'm cautiously optimistic for this challenge.

In the "this season on PR..." preview we got after last week's episode, I saw a dress that appeared to be made out of movie tickets. It looked pretty awesome, so I'm cautiously optimistic for this challenge.

Yes!  I love my movies so I'm very excited for this challenge - just a peek of that dress and it looks awesome.  Looks like there's some drahhhhhma on though.  Just when I was hoping this season would dial it down a notch or two.  I should know better after that Under The Gunn monstrosity.

• Love 1

PERFECT!

Now that we all have a firm grip on each of the individual designers--their styles, their strengths and weaknesses, their fucking P.O.V's--let's just mix things up a little bit and have an unconventional challenge!

In teams!

And, naturally, in one day.

Because there's absolutely no chance we could lose one of the very best designers, in Episode TWO, due to his/her inability to hot glue Twizzlers.

Edited by candall
  • Love 10

I obviously was watching a very different runway from the judges.  Really? Especially Amanda's "winning" outfit?  Was her undergarment movie materials (oh, maybe it represents the white sheet Dad used to put up on movie night)...  Ee gads that was bad.  And I agree with Carrie that the judges should have considered Angela.

Loved the "disc" dress team -- very clever.

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 19

PERFECT!

Now that we all have a firm grip on each of the individual designers--their styles, their strengths and weaknesses, their fucking P.O.V's--let's just mix things up a little bit and have an unconventional challenge!

In teams!

And, naturally, in one day.

Because there's absolutely no chance we could lose one of the very best designers, in Episode TWO, due to his/her inability to hot glue Twizzlers.

on a slightly unrelated note, if I had a dress made of Twizzlers I would eat myself naked.

• Love 11

I was rolling my eyes when Sanhya went to Tim to complain about her teammates being mean to her, but then the hideous behavior on the runway by the other two made me change my mind completely.  The two of them - and I'm glad that I consider them just anonymous nasty people and can't be bothered to remember their names - were snotty, egotistical, school yard bullies.  Hopefully the male will be the next to go.

I liked the disc dress the best.

• Love 12

And that my friends was the grubby shit stained smelly mitts of Jonathan Murray at tonight's helm.  Make no mistake. 

Heidi calls out Angela.  Yet Heidi has no idea how the dynamics of the team worked up to this point *wink* *wink*.  So she doesn't know if Angela might have caved to demands.  Plus this call out takes place in a way that gives no insight as to why the dress was ranked so low.  So calling her out is meaningless.  unless of course you care calling out the Prime Weeper.  And you worry you might have the other scapegoat gone in another week what with the colored ribbon collection being on the bottom.  This way Angela gets labeled as weak and problematic and with more team challenges likely more sew room drama. 

Then lo and behold Nina is stunned.  Stunned I tell you, to find out that the losing team had one member dominate and dictate.  And of course he is kept and never called to account.  Instead he is kept on with the immune limping gazelle that they send back to a den of lions.  For likely future team challenges.

Korina's dress really stuck out as the weak link on her team.  Enough that I think it should have dragged down the whole team (Heidi ®).  i did like Amanda's and had no trouble with her winning individually.

I'm having trouble with the (false) idea that Angela's team might have won without her dragging them down.  Because those two were more wtf for me than the winning design from last week.  

Overall I thought there was a very limited approach to the challenge.  Lots of dresses that begged for Deney Terrio's Motion to sashay to going into commercial break.  Overly sparkly cocktail dresses to the point it was like shopping in a Paris Hilton Pinata store.

• Love 13

Hated the winning dress - without the muslin the model would be nude! I also was sympathetic to Sandhya on the first episode but this episode - her interpretation of things was so out of left field. You're teammates telling e other people what the judges said is not denigrating you, and I'm sorry, but I did not see the two teammates picking on her. A little snarky re letters? Sure. But they were trying to tell her it needed to be cohesive. Also - her advice on doing what they each wanted to do then at the end make it cohesive? Worst advice ever. Has she ever seen a pr episode? Plus, she was so set on being her own designer at first, I was put off of her unwillingness to be flexible in a team challenge. Also, Angela - grow thicker skin! You got feedback, something safe designers never do!

• Love 11

OH MY GOD, Sandhya,quit whining about how Poor You gets so horribly picked on! If you have immunity in a team challenge, you suck it the hell up and focus on contributing to the team's vision. Honestly, this is the season of the Emotionally Delicate Special Snowflakes - between her victim complex and Mousy Asian's cowering and weeping, I am so over them both.

• Love 16

Overly sparkly cocktail dresses to the point it was like shopping in a Paris Hilton Pinata store.

Comedy gold!

Seriously, those guys must have been quoting Nina: Double you. Tee.  Eff.  That was the weirdest judging yet.  And Tim telling part of the story, but them not acting on it, so Shut Up and Do What I Say Boy gets to skate right through.  And Nina's indignant, "Why are we explaining ourselves to THEM?"  Episode 2 and I can hardly wipe the bitter aftertaste off my tongue.

Also, the winning team of smug, self-satisfied bitches can just get over themselves now.  I don't like that poor man's Anne Hathaway and her coy self-effacement much.

• Love 13
I was rolling my eyes when Sanhya went to Tim to complain about her teammates being mean to her, but then the hideous behavior on the runway by the other two made me change my mind completely.

ITA.  I was thinking she was being selfish in not letting her teammates run the collection, since she had nothing at stake.  Then she did exactly what they wanted and they say it's her fault the team's in the bottom.  I would not have cared if Hernan went too.

I disagree with the judge's that Sanhya's was the worst.  It at least had some interesting lines.  Carrie's was a dress we seen thousands of times before.

What the heck did Carrie think she was doing with her behavior?  That they were going to disregard the rules?  Maybe she was hoping Tim would save her.  I will miss her ever-changing hair color, though.

• Love 8

And that my friends was the grubby shit stained smelly mitts of Jonathan Murray at tonight's helm.  Make no mistake. 

Good list of hijinks. Here's another one--Sandhya's running to Tim because she's being picked on. Tim's being his kind, sympathetic, father-figure self. I'd say rehabilitation for the Under the Gunn debacle.

• Love 14

Mitchell was nice tonight, no trace of last weeks mean girl.  He told Sandhya she needed a hug.  Kinda sweet.  I do like the way she pulled herself together though.

I also loved the CD collection.  Really striking, and Mitchell was right, his look kicked ass.  I think it was among the best, better than Amandas.

I cannot understand a word Hernan says.  I really can't.  Still can't stand Korina, those lips are just beyond distracting.

They need to just send Angela home to have her nervous breakdown in private.  If it's going to happen there, hopefully there won't be sharp scissors and seam rippers nearby. 

• Love 9

Well, that was rough.

I hated the winning team’s clothing. I thought they’d be on the bottom.

As for Sandhya, I know that a lot gets left on the editing room floor, so surely there must have been far more going on with her team than we were shown? Someone on another team mentioned hearing Hernan yelling, but at worst we saw him getting exasperated and raising his voice a bit. I feel like that whole thing was so choppily edited that it was difficult to get a sense of what was really going on.

I was hoping that Angela would be going home tonight, even though I don’t think her outfit last week was as offensive as the judges made it out to be. She’s just too damned delicate for this sort of competition, and this week she somehow combined that with being stubborn and uncooperative.

• Love 11
And Nina's indignant, "Why are we explaining ourselves to THEM?"

Um, Nina ... because Heidi keeps asking the contestants what they think and who they believe should go home. Maybe you should demand that Heidi shut her pie hole or strudel hole -- keeping it culturally sensitive -- if you don't want to hear their opinions.

• Love 18

I don't know how aMANda won this challenge. If you take away her conventiontional fabric dress, you have a nude model.

I liked the straw dress and the disc dress.

Hernan should have been the one to go home.

As I posted in the Sandhya thread, from what footge we saw, Sandhya was not badly picked on. But her two teammates were being vile and petty for the remainder of the episode, so I assume there was more to the story than what we saw.

I don't care for team challenges and am looking forward to resuming individual challenges next week.

• Love 5

Two for two in being opposite what the judges liked.  Hated Sandhya's last week, hated Amanda's this week.  It looked like she just hung a bunch of crap from strings and attached it to muslin.  Oh wait, she did.  But they went apeshit over it, so what do I know?  I didn't think the losing team's was that bad.  Yes, they were too similar but I didn't think they were the worst.  However, I did lose some sympathy for ousted girl - whatever her name is - when she got huffy at the end.  She seems immature.

Amanda strikes me as someone who loves to hear herself talk.  She bugs me. 

If I'm not mistaken, they never even showed Char's team get critiqued by Tim.  I knew from their lack of coverage that they'd be safe.  Looks like another season of a few people getting rammed down our throats and everyone else in the background.

Edited by alrightythen
  • Love 9

First impressions: seriously, I think Angela should have been the one to go.  I didn't think much of her garment and her team as a whole was just so blah.  I liked Mitchell's dress but then I'm into glitter and sparkle.  Sandhya's team - the outfits were too much alike but I liked them all.  They should have been safe rather than in the bottom.  Didn't like Amanda's look at all and can't see why it won but what do I know.  I may have to watch this again.

• Love 1

I thought the avant garde team with Alexander and the alternative chick that doesn't have blue hair was by far the most interesting, and their looks were longer, more detailed, contained more work (in appearance anyway) than the rest of the teams.  I thought they got robbed.

I love Fade.  He looks just like I think a weird little German designer should.  Even if I wasn't crazy about his design.  At least he and the Kiwi were trying to help Angela, but (TM John Belushi) nooooooooooooooooooooo.

Hernan and Blue Hair were horrible before, during, and after the runway.  I think Blue Hair honestly thought she would get the Tim Gunn save.  I was so happy he didn't give it to her.

• Love 10
Um, Nina ... because Heidi keeps asking the contestants what they think and who they believe should go home. Maybe you should demand that Heidi shut her pie hole or strudel hole -- keeping it culturally sensitive -- if you don't want to hear their opinions.

Or Heidi (or anyone else) should tell Nina to shut her pie hole.  At which point, I'd stand up and cheer.

And Nina's indignant, "Why are we explaining ourselves to THEM?"

Considering the glum, sour, awful, pointedly un-entertaining person Nina Garcia has become in the last few years, I'm not totally sure if she meant that "you're all so bothersome, why should I care about you" type remark more to the contestants or to the audience.

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 6

Wait a minute.  Granted I don't pay too much attention to the sew room coverage because it seems like it spends more time with talking heads sneering dismissively at what others are doing.  Plus during teams challenges the last thing  I want to do for an hour is listen to children who can't play well together. It is why I avoid playgrounds.  Well that and because I am a just in his thirties single white male and I'm not sick.  In that regards at least.

I could have sworn as I struggled though the last bits of California by Edan Lepucki I heard Amanda drone about the judges dinging anyone who used anything even remotely looking like a conventional material.  Then I saw a mini montage of various contestants making their own base material out of tickets and film etc.

So Amanda just draped her stuff over muslin?  I take back my ok'ness with her win.  Take away the "conventional material" and all you have is Farah Abraham at Mardi Gras.

• Love 14

I don't understand this show anymore... I suppose I haven't for many seasons... and clearly I have no idea what 'fashion' means, since very rarely do I come anywhere close to agreeing with the judges.

The winning looks were interesting, but definitely not what I would have called the best looks, I figured they were the bottom, honestly. Seeing the losing collection again together, I do understand the judges point about everything looking very similar but some of the other dresses were not good looks either.

I really liked Hernan's dress, so attitude/drama aside, I thought it was good that he wasn't sent home. This show is supposed to be about the clothes, right? Lets get rid of some of those drama llamas please! I kind of tuned out some of the work room stuff, so I guess I don't have much to say about people being picked on.

I also didn't do a very good job paying attention to Under the Gunn, so I missed bully gate and don't have issue with Tim... but I did find it interesting that the losing team was all about blaming Tim for hating their stuff. We know the judges and Tim don't always agree, and his advice is simply that, advice... it's not his fault if they took it too far or didn't understand what he was trying to tell them.

I, too loved the disc dress. That whole collection was just so pretty and sparkly. Sure, I wouldn't wear it on the street, but for being 'fashion show' interesting, and what looked to be well made, it worked for me. 

But I guess I should have made piece long ago with the judges being their own brand of stupid... Nina and Zack seemed especially mean tonight... and I do think they should be defending their decision on the winning team :P

All that said, I'm not at all bothered by who was sent home tonight... especially with all the crying about "we all know who had the worst dress" that's just too bad... it's how things work in a game with immunity. Sandhya could have sent her model down the runway with a popcorn bucket and a strip of film and she would have still been safe... that's part of the game.

• Love 8

I'm disappointed to see Carrie go so early, as her first look showed that she has great potential. I understand why she was frustrated about her elimination; Sandhya would have gone had she not had immunity, and it seems like many of the designers don't think she deserved the win that saved her. Also, those eliminated at this point don't get the opportunity to design a decoy collection for NYFW, which is a major bummer for a fledgling designer. Still, she should have tried to be more gracious about her loss, at least on camera. Who wants to be remembered as a sore loser? 

Amanda is getting the Kate edit: veteran designer redeeming herself as she pursues the title for a second time. Like Kate, I suspect that the judges will eliminate her the first time they have the chance to do so. Their egos are probably too big to crown someone they previously got rid of mid-season. I hope I'm wrong, though, because I like her and think she's been doing great work so far. 

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 2

I'm actually fine with Carrie leaving also; she barely made it onto the show in the "final auditions" anyway; I do think she was angling for the Tim save. I also would have been fine with Hernan leaving. Having said that, I do not think Sandhya is being as picked on as she thinks, but it's probably just a cultural difference. I don't think she's intentionally trying to cause additional drama.

Re: Amanda getting the Kate edit: I agree; I do not think she stands a chance to win this season. Redemption on Project Runway, thy name is Project Runway All-Stars (hosted by Alyssa Milano).

• Love 4

I HATED the winning teams' garments. They looked CHEAP, which I thought was the kiss of death for Nina.

Honestly, I think the judges just don't want to be seen as predictable, hence their wildly inappropriate decisions.

• Love 13

What does Char have to do to win a challenge? Last week, her outfit was stunning. This week the gorgeous, innovative, CREATIVE ticket dress doesn't even get a second look?

Maroon 5's sister made a beaded curtain dress with a muslin background and SHE WINS?????????? Stop it, just. stop. it.

I'm already done with this season and it's only the second week.

• Love 11

Oh good, my husband and I weren't the only ones left scratching our heads at the judge's choice for the "Winning" team. For a moment, I thought that they had asked the two bottom teams to stay on the runway when they sent everyone else backstage.

I also thought the disc dresses should have been the winning team. Alexander's was fabulous.

Sandhya annoyed me this episode, and so did Carrie, which pains me because I love Carrie's hair and her personal style. The tantrum she threw on the runway was painful to watch.

Zac Posen used to be so nice! What happened to him this season? He's been so dismissive and bitchy to the contestants so far.

I am 0 for 2 on agreeing with the judges decisions so far. Am I that out of touch, or are they intentionally messing with my mind? 

• Love 9

So draping chains and streamers over a muslin dress is a winning design now? Seriously, this is so against what the unusual materials challenges are about that it's ridculous, and I don't blame the two losing designers for trying to find out what exactly the judges were looking for. And to say that they "just" put film over the muslin is weird, since the winning team didn't even do that.

This was 100% for effect, because Sandya won last week and is being picked on by the other contestants, so the producers want us to, what? See more of that? Assholes.

There were three other teams that did gorgeous treatments and unusual effects, and I just don't get what this show is anymore. Also, Nina Garcia has just turned into a nasty piece of work, and she should really be taken off the show. I never thought I'd want to drop Project Runway from my DVR, but I can't handle the way the show has been ruined.

• Love 10

Is it me, or are the judges picking the worst looks to win this year? I swear they're just trying to drum up some controversy to boost ratings. I didn't think the winning team had anywhere near the best looks this week and I hated Sandyha's look last week. It looked like rag bag contents to me. I wish they'd eliminated both of the whiners tonight. They knew that they were in danger of being eliminated by having the designer with immunity on their team. And I didn't think her look was the worst of the 3 either. I really think the judges are playing with us this year. This is as bad as the year Gretchen with the Little House on the Prairie collection won the title. Sheesh!

• Love 7

I think the right team was on the bottom and the right person went home.

But the winners? W.T.F.  I thought the winning team's garments looked like they pulled a bunch of junk out of a dumpster, strung it together, and  glued it on a dress form.

I loved Char-Kini-Mitchell's blue collection and I thought they got robbed. I also thought Sean's straw dress was great.

Loved the CD dress and that collection should have been ahead of the "winning" team, too.

I thought Fade's dress was worse than Angela's because it reminded me of a giant insect. I do think Angela needs to go home ASAP because she does not have the personality for this.

IMO the contestants who have the most potential to create marketable, fashion forward clothes are Char, Alexander, and Kini. I also like Sean, Fade, Mitchell, and Samantha.

Korina and Angela seem too full of themselves, and so far their designs are not original. They both seem to be channeling Uli  from S3, except their versions are watered-down. Emily is meh. Sandaye is annoying. I don't think she should have won last week, either.

• Love 3

What kind of crack are the judges smoking this season? I honestly thought that Amanda's group was the worst, especially her garment which looked unfinished. Especially with Char/Mitchell/Kini group whom were fantastic. Especially Mitchell. That dress was so cool looking. Actually that entire team was awesome. And Mitchell redeemed himself in my eyes for being so nice to Sandhya. 

I was hoping that Hernan and Carrie were both going home today. God they were such jerks. I felt bad for Sandhya who actually did bring up each point that the judges had said when they were talking. She said something about how they shouldn't all have the same material and how they all should at least look like outfits that can be worn by the same woman. Also, I really liked her original skirt. I thought it was a great idea. 

This season is making lesser and lesser sense as time goes on. 

Edited by Bees
  • Love 11