Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Unconventional Movie Nite!

• Start Topic

I heart Swatch. But what is Tim doing with Swatch?

In Season 6, the guy who was partnered with Ra'Mon for the "resortwear" challenge was eliminated when that team won. I keep thinking his name was Mitchell also.

Yep. It was also the avant garde challenge.  Here is the rate the runway for that challenge. And here is Tom and Lorenzo's recap.

The winning and losing garments:

pr6-ep3-rr-mitchell-f.jpg

pr6-ep3-rr-ramon-f.jpg

I don't think Sandhya's dress was bad on THIS level, not enough to revoke immunity and send her packing.

pr6-ep3-rr-ramon-f.jpg

I don't think Sandhya's dress was bad on THIS level, not enough to revoke immunity and send her packing.

Wow, that's terrible. That poor model. She looks like Caliban in a gender-neutral production of the Tempest.

• Love 2

sleepyjean, in view of the judging the past two weeks, Swatch is either"

1. informing Tim he wouldn't even so much as take a piss on either of the 2 winning garments.

2. informing Tim to eliminate several of the less talented designers before bringing the "madness" to Mood.

• Love 5

Hey, now no dissing of Swatch. He's one of the few highlights of the season.

No dissing intended! I love Swatch and have missed him so far this season.

Slightly OT, but to prove the point: my love of Mood and Swatch is so well known in my house that my 18-year-old son took the time during a trip with his friends to NYC to go to Mood and buy a tote bag for me for Christmas. He didn't see Swatch that day, but he earned Son of the Decade honors for that bag, eclipsing the Doughnut Plant doughnut he also brought back for me. (I didn't have to wait for Christmas for the doughnut, though.)

• Love 4

Slightly OT, but to prove the point: my love of Mood and Swatch is so well known in my house that my 18-year-old son took the time during a trip with his friends to NYC to go to Mood and buy a tote bag for me for Christmas. He didn't see Swatch that day, but he earned Son of the Decade honors for that bag, eclipsing the Doughnut Plant doughnut he also brought back for me. (I didn't have to wait for Christmas for the doughnut, though.)

http://www.moodfabrics.com/mood-shop.html#product-77680

They can be ordered online, even a Swatch tee-shirt.

Edited by dcmjdc2
[RE: shows with little producer manipulation]The two exceptions I have found are Face Off and Jim Henson's Creature Workshop, where the contestants get along well, help each other when they need it

Top Shot was like that - minimum drama (although not none), straightforward challenges with objective winners, sportsmanship, gracious losers.  Shocking.  

Unlike this show.  My only happiness during judging is listening carefully to see how they retcon the task in order to justify the winner the producers clearly want.  So what do we pretend we care about this week; 'Gave us something ... different, daring'.  Yeah, whatever.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1

When this show eventually dies, I will miss it - but it's the Bravo years I will miss, not the Lifetime Soapfest. I watched the first season almost by accident, knowing nothing about fashion and caring only slightly more. The first several years of PR fascinated me, then educated me. Designers like Laura Bennett, Rami Kashou, Fabio Costa (yeah, I know, a Lifetime season, but I love Fabio), Michael Costello (ditto) and many others made me an eager and enthusiastic fan of the art of design.

Now it's all about drama and nastiness. Sandhya may not be the most cooperative team player (though she did come around after Tim's pep talk) but IMO she doesn't deserve half of the crap that so many of her fellow designers fling at her. Watching everyone cooperate in ensuring Angela's nervous breakdown is appalling.  As for the specifics of this episode, I like Amanda's dry wit, but her designs don't usually wow me and in this case, the comparison with Emilio's almost-got-him-auf'd hardware bikini hit me as soon as the 'dress' hit the runway. I didn't like anything her team presented and thought Mitchell's team should have won and he should have gotten the individual win. Watching Carrie and Hernan devolve into finger pointing and hysteria on the Runway, and then more blame game (against Sandhya, who acted with maturity in those moments) was also incredibly uncomfortable. Another awful moment was when Nina said, with all the hauteur at her command, "Why are we explaining ourselves to them?" as if the designers were subhuman.

I think Char is doing consistently interesting work (if you can say that as early as Ep 2) and has a nice, drama-free personality so far. There are several interesting designers who don't seem bat shit crazy or mean. Please give us more of them, PR.

• Love 6

RE: Ra'mon and the toilet dyed scuba dress of wtf.... I'm the one who originally brought up the fact that Mitchell had been sent home on that challenge, despite the team's WIN.

Yeah, I know, right? They won for that dress you saw pictured above. Either Nina or Heidi or both of them raved about the dress and later, Tim said he wanted to see one of them wearing it if they loved it so much (I miss THAT Tim).

But if it was erroneously thought by anyone that I thought Sandhya should have gone home, I apoligize. Sandhya had IMMUNITY; Mitchell did not. He was just on the winning team and someone from the winning team had never been sent home before. Sandhya was not the first person on this show with immunity to be saved for a crappy design and unless season 13 is the last, she will not be the last one. And I still maintain that even though her design was the worst of the 3 (although how could you tell, really? I mean they all looked alike), it was Hernan's vision that sent Carrie packing, not Sandhya's design.

• Love 1

When this show eventually dies, I will miss it - but it's the Bravo years I will miss, not the Lifetime Soapfest. I watched the first season almost by accident, knowing nothing about fashion and caring only slightly more. The first several years of PR fascinated me, then educated me. Designers like Laura Bennett, Rami Kashou, Fabio Costa (yeah, I know, a Lifetime season, but I love Fabio), Michael Costello (ditto) and many others made me an eager and enthusiastic fan of the art of design.

Now it's all about drama and nastiness. Sandhya may not be the most cooperative team player (though she did come around after Tim's pep talk) but IMO she doesn't deserve half of the crap that so many of her fellow designers fling at her. Watching everyone cooperate in ensuring Angela's nervous breakdown is appalling. As for the specifics of this episode, I like Amanda's dry wit, but her designs don't usually wow me and in this case, the comparison with Emilio's almost-got-him-auf'd hardware bikini hit me as soon as the 'dress' hit the runway. I didn't like anything her team presented and thought Mitchell's team should have won and he should have gotten the individual win. Watching Carrie and Hernan devolve into finger pointing and hysteria on the Runway, and then more blame game (against Sandhya, who acted with maturity in those moments) was also incredibly uncomfortable. Another awful moment was when Nina said, with all the hauteur at her command, "Why are we explaining ourselves to them?" as if the designers were subhuman.

I think Char is doing consistently interesting work (if you can say that as early as Ep 2) and has a nice, drama-free personality so far. There are several interesting designers who don't seem bat shit crazy or mean. Please give us more of them, PR.

Who are you, and what are you doing in my head?

;)

Exactly what I've been thinking. Exactly. As a great 4-H clothing project dropout, I was drawn in by two things: the chance to see pros not only sew well under pressure, but create works of art (to me) from nothing and to do so in a relatively drama-free setting. At least by "reality" standards. I was inspired, shocked, occasionally repulsed. But I was awed by what the contestants produced every week. Now, crap. Or mundane things not so different from what I might find in a department store. Evidence of that appears in this thread: the screenshots of the garments from an "avant garde" week on lifetime. Avant garde, my eye. Whether it's time allowed or contestant capacity - or both - I blame lifetime.

So sad to watch earlier seasons and remember what this once was. Oh, well. I view those old OMG moments through new lenses now.

By the way, the big, body-fearing circular designs of whatshisname's runway "collection" in UTG? Reminded me of my last 4-H project in the early 1970s. (Surprisingly popular Simplicity pattern that year). I earned a white ribbon, aka "thanks for showing up."

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1

Yuck. This show seems to get less and less money with each season, as it is clearly just about sucked down the drain. So we get another season of watching a show whoring its naughty bits to any sponsor that will throw some money at it, which means watching the producers gerrymander any kind of buzz for its circus. The zeitgeist - it left long ago.

Though I occasionally see pretty clothes.

Which is not enough to make up for the look on all three judges' faces when the designer who was eliminated in the "final audition" dared to use "lesbian" and "couture" in the same sentence. Seriously, judges, it doesn't have to be an oxymoron. Take a chance, rock the world, why don't ya?

I give Nina a big old hall pass on meanness, because I think her role is to represent the shark tank of the Conde Nast environment and it's her job to be mean and nasty. But she doesn't even get a good Devil Wears Prada role anymore. A good villain, show, is a layered villain. You kind of had to agree with the villain in Devil because she was right about a lot of things. Now they just "write" Nina as mean, but not with any authority. So they've just made her boring.

Also, hearing "vibe" so many times and then picturing Barbarella just made me want to try acid. Maybe the winning "outfits" would have looked winning to me, then?

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 1

Also, hearing "vibe" so many times and then picturing Barbarella just made me want to try acid. Maybe the winning "outfits" would have looked winning to me, then?

They certainly would have. I feel like I could have made those outfits out of the rubbish I could find in the dumpster at the elementary school across the street. And, of course, watching the 84759830575 YouTube videos about making duck tape clothes/accessories/everything (which someone above properly pointed out as even further evidence that the "winning" designs were awfully tired). 

Just rewatching this.

In the original airing, did the designers hold up pictures and say who they thought would win?

I just noticed that last week's episode recorded on my DVR as New last night. The title is listed as Unconventional Movie Nite! (Enhanced Version)

So I am super late on this because I was on vacation so I'll just respond to the runway show. As always, I comment before I hear what the judges think.

I will say that I was not on Sandhya's side in that argument. She had immunity. She should have gone along with the team. They were not bullying her. They were actually probably nicer than some of the other designers would have been. Also, there are a lot of immigrants this season. I didn't notice it as much last episode but I think those teams were more of the focus this episode. 

Team Film Strip (Herman, Carrie, Sandhya): I think this came together nicely. Because the film strips are darker, the colors don't pop as much to show the different ways they arranged the film strips but I think all three dresses look different enough. The silhouettes are different and the way the placement of the film strips in terms of color and affect are different. 

Team Acid Green Vomit (Kristine, Korina, Amanda): I liked Kristine's. It had a nice vibe. Not exactly punk or pop art but some modern art movement I can't mentally place right now. I liked the top of Korina's dress. The chevrons in the back were particularly pretty. The bottom was some piano keys fringe nonsense and the black on green didn't look as good in the skirt. Amanda's didn't fit very well with the other two. It kind of worked because of the nice detail in the bust but if this was not a team challenge, this would have just been the hot mess that wasn't finished along the lines of (I think) Emilio Sosa's pink bikini.

Team Not So Avant Garde Fish Scales (Samantha, Emily, Alexander): Samantha's was really pretty. No complaints. Emily's was ugly and unflattering. Do avant garde but in a way that works. The bodice looked wonky. The hips were inflated for no reason. The skirt looked messy instead of floating in a slightly disheveled way as in Samantha's look. With Samantha's look the pieceyness of the skirt made the sweet, feminine design feel a little less precious. On Emily's it just made it look like more of a mess. Alexander's dress was... fine. I don't know. I'm not a fan of stiff dresses that move separately from the person wearing them.

Team Black and White (Angela, Fade, Sean): Why in the hell didn't they just say they were doing a tribute to black and white movies? Or noir? Or German Expressionism? I don't know. Something other than... villains. Because, yeah that's a terribly original concept you definitely shouldn't compromise on because no one has ever thought of it before now. Anyway, maybe it was because of all the conflict in the episode but I really liked how the mini collection turned out. Angela's would have been a bit boring on its own but it worked with the others. I think Fade managed to get away with a slightly stiff dress in a way that Alexander did not. Alexander had a dress that should have moved more while Fade gave his dress a sense of movement. I wasn't that impressed with Sean's. Maybe it was because I was promised Cruelle de Vil and just got another 60's tent dress.

Team Rainbow Brite (Mitchell, Char, Kini): I have to give it up to Mitchell. I really loved Mitchell's dress. It was bright but in a fun and gorgeous way that totally worked and felt like it could be on a high fashion runway. Char's dress with the tickets did not work. It looked cheap. The color was more muted than Mtichell's and yet it had a juvenile, cotton candy feel. And another one shoulder cocktail dress? Pfft. I don't care what you make it out of. It was well made but nothing to write home about. Kini's dress had the same problem. It was made out of something weird but it was just another fugly prom/bridesmaid's dress. It was also super unflattering. Disappointed in you, Kini.

Edited by aradia22
I heart Swatch. But what is Tim doing with Swatch?

If I recall correctly the depicted scene where Tim is crouching on floor with Swatch, he is "helping" Swatch look for a toy or ball that went under the racks.

I didn't understand (as in, couldn't quite hear) what Carrie said to Sandhya in the final scene after she'd been eliminated--can someone recap?  I feel like I missed some other stuff on the runway too, perhaps due to Hernan's accent, because though I thought they were pouty and poor losers on the runway, I didn't catch anything incredibly heinous.  But I'm willing to believe I missed something!

I had mixed feelings about the losing team's dresses--when Hernan's in particular was going down the runway, it somehow caught the light in an interesting way in closeups and had a dark blue sheen I found fascinating.  I even wondered if he coordinated sections of the film to do that.  But on the view of all three together, I thought the brown shininess looked like--well, sorry--cockroach carapaces.

Not that I liked the green dresses any better, and especially not Amanda's.  I thought Mitchell's dress was the best, and that plus his kindness to Sandhya when she was sad endeared him to me after not being so thrilled by him the previous week.

Edited by Jobiska
I had mixed feelings about the losing team's dresses--when Hernan's in particular was going down the runway, it somehow caught the light in an interesting way in closeups and had a dark blue sheen I found fascinating.  I even wondered if he coordinated sections of the film to do that.  But on the view of all three together, I thought the brown shininess looked like--well, sorry--cockroach carapaces.

It was unfortunate that all three of them used the exact same material without variation or addition of any kind, and all three made dresses.  One would have been fine, as long as there was some kind of variation in the other two.  Sandhya could have made her metallic skirt and used the filmstrips for trim, or maybe used the filmstrips to make smaller letters for the top or something like she was doing with the skirt. Blue Hair could have made a filmstrip jacket and then a dress underneath out of something else.  But they all did the same thing as Hernan, and that tanked them.

Edited by izabella