Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Unconventional Movie Nite!

• Start Topic

OH MY GOD, Sandhya,quit whining about how Poor You gets so horribly picked on! If you have immunity in a team challenge, you suck it the hell up and focus on contributing to the team's vision. Honestly, this is the season of the Emotionally Delicate Special Snowflakes - between her victim complex and Mousy Asian's cowering and weeping, I am so over them both.

Yeah, I truly think this was supposed to be "The Redemption of Tim Gunn" episode.  To show that no, he doesn't not approve of bullying.  Because, yes, they were being mean, but they were nowhere near the ballpark of where Asha was towards Natalia.  And Natalia wasn't safe during her team challenge with Asha.  Shandaya was safe, and yes, it must have sucked for her to have to deal with the whining.  But at the same time, its always been the same complaint from every team since the start of the show that had the immune designer.  Its always "he/she/it is not going to work as hard because they have immunity" and sometimes those immune designers end up winning the challenge they were immune for.  But its always the same argument...and if the immune designer is on the losing team, I think the judges also look at them differently as well...like they just skated by.  Its the same on Top Chef.  But, because Shandaya had immunity she was in a catch 22, the other two designers are going to be insistent because they feel like they have much more on the line so you should just get in line with their vision, but if you do that, and the vision sucks you get flack from the judges and the other contestants because they will say you skated by.  I think Shandaya's best bet would have been to use the film strips, and the gold, but to use them sparingly, OR to create a different silhouette.  Her and Carrie's essentially looked like the same dress to me, just with midriff showing.  And she should have focused on making her construction perfection.  But without an original idea, the sloppy construction really stands out.  

But I felt like her going to Tim Gunn was just over the top, and a set up

btw: I'm in love with Fade, his dress was a little odd, but interesting, but I just like him, he is just funny to me.

And when people wrote that the blue hair girl was sent packing, I totally thought it was the other blue haired chick, because I was not down with that collection at all. 

Well meanwhile Heidi's place is singling out people to tell them how much MORE they suck than everyone else.  And Zac.  What can we say about Zacky?  He'e been getting crueler and crueler each season he's involved in this show, to the extent that he makes Michael Kors look like he was Mr. Nice Guy in comparison.

As for Nina?  I actually appreciate she threw some criticism Sandhya's way after the Tongue Bath the woman got last Episode, but at the same time (as seems to happen about ten times per season) you could see the gleam in her eyes when she started enjoying cutting people down.

Now, I love, love, love Nina, I do....but these are up and coming designers, and you should be happy to explain your reasoning to them, unless you don't have any solid reasoning.

Something was off about Zach this episode, when he smiled it looked like a grimace, and it looked like he was ready to try to take a bite out of someone.

I always miss MK

• Love 2

I noticed that the team that won used the letters on the skirt as Sandhya had planned to do, but her teammates said the judges would hate that.  It was a little hard to pick a side in that whole mess -- I didn't really like Sandhya's first or second dress, but Hernan's and Carrie's were too alike, and their behavior was heinous.   I loved Kini's and Mitchell's, Char's less, and I would have picked Mitchell's as the winner.  Clearly it's more difficult than ever to guess what the judges want.  

• Love 6

Finally, Angela.  At first I felt sorry for her, but I am starting to recognize in her a kind of passive people pleaser that oh so carefully and humbly makes absolutely certain that she gets her own way or else.  I have dealt with people like that before and they are infuriating because they seem so weak and pitiable, when in fact they are controlling everyone around them and trying to get out of their control is like wading through quicksand. And you look like a bully trying to do it in the bargain.  She needs to go home. 

^^This!  A million times this.  No matter how nicely you try to tell them, they will kindly insist upon their point of view, and if you try to be anything other than nice and accepting, they have a breakdown.  Then when things don't go their way, they are busy crying.  I hate all the subterfuge and fakeness of people like her....the minute she got into that blue room or whatever, she turned on the waterworks because she didn't want Fade and the other guy to give her the stinkeye.....WHICH SHE SO RICHLY DESERVED.  2/3 members of the team wanted to go with villian, and you're insisting on sticking paper cutouts to a dress?  Fade's and the other guys use of the straws was a transformative use, they went from looking like straws to looking like fabric (although, on an unrelated note, I think that guy should have made his dress a coat....Creulla DiVille Style, and maybe just had a simple duct tape over muslin dress underneath....it was too bulky as a dress, imo).  But she basically just took some paper and cut it up and taped it to her dress.  Paper already looks too much like fabric, so if you're gonna use paper you have to rock it.

2 of the winning team's dresses were made out of duct tape.  You can go on You Tube and see thousands of examples of duct tape garments.  How was that being "fashion forward"  They made dresses that high school girls have already made. 

Didn't they have a duct tape challenge in PR....and didn't Michelle and Amanda win that challenge?  How is doing what you did a few years ago fashion forward?

I couldn't help but think that the blue/purple haired woman that went home was probably wishing she had some make-up remover so she could re-draw her eyebrows to ones that matched her emotions. 

Those eyebrows!  Why?  But I agree, Mary Kay should have lent her a blue eyeshadow pencil so she could make her eyebrows all \/

• Love 4

RealityGal, a friend who was a therapist opened my eyes years ago to what she called "the tyranny of the weak," and it has fascinated me ever since to watch that dynamic. There's one of those in every large group, and they usually get their way about everything!

• Love 5

Yes!  I love my movies so I'm very excited for this challenge - just a peek of that dress and it looks awesome.  Looks like there's some drahhhhhma on though.  Just when I was hoping this season would dial it down a notch or two.  I should know better after that Under The Gunn monstrosity.

Just out of curiosity since my hate for Anya knows no bounds and I refused to watch Under the Gunn because of it: why is everyone talking smack about Tim now because of that show? What happened?! Why hast thou tainted Tim Gunn for me, Lifetime?! Can someone fill me in? :(

• Love 1

I think that guy should have made his dress a coat....

I thought it *was* a coat, even as he was making it! I was so surprised when it came down the runway with nothing under it. I think it could have been really cool as a coat over a LBD. It seemed as if he even (incredibly) had a little extra time, although maybe not enough. As a dress, it was dowdy--not a word I would previously have thought to apply to straws.

I actually thought the dress with the paper curls was cute. Granted it may have looked as if a kindergartner could have done it, but hey, kindergartners sometimes do cute things. Why, I still have things my son made. . .

I went back to the website to look at the designs again, and damn, did Mitchell ever get screwed. That was a darling dress! I think it's really lousy when designers who do good work don't even get a public morsel of praise from the judges.

I blush to admit I liked the colors in the losing team's dresses, and I thought Sandhya's was the best because it seemed lose and sassy, instead of stiff.

• Love 3

Just out of curiosity since my hate for Anya knows no bounds and I refused to watch Under the Gunn because of it: why is everyone talking smack about Tim now because of that show? What happened?! Why hast thou tainted Tim Gunn for me, Lifetime?! Can someone fill me in? :(

Nope, we cannot.  : )  There was a roasty toasty fire going by Page 3 of the Episode 01 thread, but then the conversation was asked to move to The Tim Thread. 

I know we always vary here in our reactions, but it's actually interesting to go read the Lifetime blogs for the show, because surprisingly they vary too.

Nick Verreos is all like "Why are they all picking on poor Sandhya", while Althea Parker calls her "passive-aggressive" and is not a fan.  Alexander Pope says "Sandhya is saying one thing and doing the complete opposite".

None of them seem to like Angela much though.  Alexander calls her "dead weight". Althea calls her "beautiful, smart and talented". but it's kind of backhanded when she also only half kiddingly refers to her as "lame".   Nick says about Angela "Why do these types of people go on this kind of show?"

Edited by Kromm

Nope, we cannot.  : )  There was a roasty toasty fire going by Page 3 of the Episode 01 thread, but then the conversation was asked to move to The Tim Thread. 

Thanks! Will go over there now. :D

Edit: Looks like there is hardly anything in the Tim thread AND the farthest back the forums go is season 1, episode 8. What happened?! :(

Edited by outtosee

Edit: Looks like there is hardly anything in the Tim thread AND the farthest back the forums go is season 1, episode 8. What happened?! :(

Right under the PR forum under the P shows is Project Runway: Under the Gunn. That will give you everything you want to know.

I have a question that someone can hopefully answer.

In the previews leading up to Thursday's show, I saw where the woman sat with Tim to talk about being picked on; then Tim was shown yelling, presumably at the group she was working with, that "this was bull$hit".  I missed the original airing, but taped a rerun a few hours later.  I've watched it twice, but never saw the scene of Tim scolding anyone.  I'm wondering if I somehow missed it, or if it's for a later show?  I know some reality shows may cut a scene, for whatever reason, with reruns.

So my question is, did this scene occur in the origin airing and in what context?  Thanks!

Lambchop !  Its been years since I've thought of her !

Funny enough, me too. But, it was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the dress...and, it was only reenforced when I saw it on the model. Especially when it walked down the runway.

Nick says about Angela "Why do these types of people go on this kind of show?"

Didn't Nick cry his way through his season?  I seem to recall lots of tears from Nick on the runway.  But there have been so many criers, they blur together for me now.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1

I was a HUGE fan of this show until the Gretchen season and then totally checked out after the Anya win, but decided to give it another chance this season.  So I need to go do a bit of digging on what the hell Tim did on UTG.  That aside, the winning garment (if you can even call it a garment) was an Emilio/Wendy worst hits mash up with some duct tape.  I know Kors isn't there, but Heidi and Nina should have some memory.  Or Tim, for that matter, as he apparently has some say on the back end of judging.  I didn't think Carrie had a long time on this season, but she didn't come across as the absolute worst on this episode.

• Love 4

RealityGal, a friend who was a therapist opened my eyes years ago to what she called "the tyranny of the weak," and it has fascinated me ever since to watch that dynamic. There's one of those in every large group, and they usually get their way about everything!

My goodness, that is such a perfect name for it...the tyranny of the weak.  I've never heard of a name put to it, but those types drive me absolutely bonkers.

I thought it *was* a coat, even as he was making it! I was so surprised when it came down the runway with nothing under it. I think it could have been really cool as a coat over a LBD. It seemed as if he even (incredibly) had a little extra time, although maybe not enough. As a dress, it was dowdy--not a word I would previously have thought to apply to straws.

I actually thought the dress with the paper curls was cute. Granted it may have looked as if a kindergartner could have done it, but hey, kindergartners sometimes do cute things. Why, I still have things my son made. . .

I went back to the website to look at the designs again, and damn, did Mitchell ever get screwed. That was a darling dress! I think it's really lousy when designers who do good work don't even get a public morsel of praise from the judges.

I blush to admit I liked the colors in the losing team's dresses, and I thought Sandhya's was the best because it seemed lose and sassy, instead of stiff.

Yeah, the Mitchell Perry really should have gotten some more credit.  Shandays IMO was mostly bad because it looked so untidy, but I think fashion sense is always personal.

Yeah, the dress was dowdy, and I don't know, I would have even thought maybe a muslin with black duct tape over it would have worked...but I talk about this like I could make any of these garments, much less in such a limited time frame, I just wish he could have pulled it off as a coat instead of a dress because I think it would have been really something special.

I'll save you a seat at lunch.  :)

Thanks...I get a case of the social anxiety!

Funny enough, me too. But, it was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the dress...and, it was only reenforced when I saw it on the model. Especially when it walked down the runway.

I thought it looked exactly enough like Justin's pipette dress from last season that I would have suspected shenanigans if I thought it was possible for him to have seen it.

• Love 2

And Zac.  What can we say about Zacky?  He'e been getting crueler and crueler each season he's involved in this show, to the extent that he makes Michael Kors look like he was Mr. Nice Guy in comparison.

I actually like a number of Posen's own designs and I get the impression that he's getting to the point of being over the whole 'I'm just a beginner but I have a point of view and I'm reallyreallyreally incredibly fabulous and you're going to love my every burp and fart--and, BTW, if you hire me I'll make your label completely skyrocket' attitude he's getting from the contestants (yes, I'm looking at you Amanda and your minions). He knows how the fashion business works in the real world, has made a success of it and isn't impressed by wannabes without a clue or demanding special snowflake privileges.

As to him being mean to the kids; okay, maybe it's not nice but since when is fashion about kind and gentle? Frankly, if they can't take his relatively snide but basically accurate assessments in this venue, they don't stand a chance in the NY garment district. You know the old saying; if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen--or off the runway.

'Tyranny of the Weak' Yes and thank you! I just finally got ride of a self-invited former friend who showed up for 4 days in my guest room and ruled the roost--shyly demanding where we ate, what we did, where we went, who we spent time with. Yes, my fault for letting her because it was easier than dealing but crikey--what a pain in the ass. 'Glad to see the back of her.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 5

I don't want to harsh anyone's buzz, but it does seem to me that the simplest explanation for the judges' unpleasantness towards the losing team and their inexplicable rewarding of the fuzzy puppies and unicorn team who made the worst clothes with a win would be that Tim had already told them about the hijinks in the workroom, the runway's not anonymous, and the producers wanted to make a statement about bullying.

The only information I have is how things look, but still, Occam's razor.

• Love 5

I don't want to harsh anyone's buzz, but it does seem to me that the simplest explanation for the judges' unpleasantness towards the losing team and their inexplicable rewarding of the fuzzy puppies and unicorn team who made the worst clothes with a win would be that Tim had already told them about the hijinks in the workroom, the runway's not anonymous, and the producers wanted to make a statement about bullying.

Well at the very least that would mean they outright lie when they claim the runway IS anonymous.

Honestly, I don't think they give a rat's ass about making a social statement about bullying--not least because if they wanted to do so, they would never be that subtle about it. They would be hitting us over the head with it in every possible way, possibly including flash cards and After School Special music.

FWIW, I don't think anyone was being bullied, at least not from what we were shown. "Bullying" isn't disagreeing with a team mate, having two out of three team members disagree with a third, or having someone criticize what a designer is making. If anything, Heidi calling out Angela on the runway comes the closest--she's a person in authority singling out an individual for a public and negative critique--but isn't that what the designers are there for? To have their work evaluated?

It's going to be a looong season if every time someone has a verbal cat fight in the sewing room a contestant is going to play the "I'm getting picked on" card.

I worked for a NYC fashion magazine publishing house early in my career--overt bitchiness is the currency. These designers need to suck it up a tad if they want to succeed in the fashion industry.

• Love 1

Also, they missed a prime opportunity to compare someone's garment to female anatomy, as they like to do.

That reminds me, in the promos shown this week before the episode aired I could have sworn they did use the word "vagina" several times, but I didn't hear them use it once during the actual judging.

Honestly, I don't think they give a rat's ass about making a social statement about bullying--not least because if they wanted to do so, they would never be that subtle about it. They would be hitting us over the head with it in every possible way, possibly including flash cards and After School Special music.

I think that even Tim may realize he can't go that far yet without seeming like a giant hypocrite.  I'm not sure how many more times "bullying" is going to come up, this may be the first episode in our after school special.  I wonder if Shandaya wasn't "encouraged" by production to go to Tim to "talk to him" about being bullied, so that Tim could show he is soooo not okay with bullying.  

That reminds me, in the promos shown this week before the episode aired I could have sworn they did use the word "vagina" several times, but I didn't hear them use it once during the actual judging.

Its times like these when I miss MK the most.  No one made an anatomy joke like MK.  Now that he doesn't have PR, I wonder where he drops all of his anatomy jokes now, cocktail parties? class reunions?  maybe a blog of some sort?

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 2

Sorry, the "Tim" thread here at PR is called "Tim Gunn:  Your Fabulous Gay Uncle."  Looks like it's there in all it's glory.  : )

I nearly fell out of my seat laughing when  realized one of the  "prizes" was an "opportunity to design an accessory for people who work in Red Robin".

REALLY PEOPLE????  Red Robin?  What happened to Saks, Neiman Marcus, Lord and Taylor?

Almost not worth all the drama...

• Love 2

Well, now I am wondering what sort of accessories people that work at Red Robin need.  Certainly, they already have any accessory that would be useful - so either they will get to re-design something (an apron, or something to hold the order book) or they are designing something unnecessary (like a brooch or a bracelet).  But it is interesting that they are designing an accessory, not a uniform - just imagine how that meeting went "Sure, we would love to be part of your prize package.  We certainly could use the product placement, although I don't know if people who are interested in high fashion are our target customer.  However, we have seen what sort of taste the judges have <cough> Gretchen <cough>  and don't think our employees would want to wear a uniform your winner designed.  So, let's just go with 'accessory' and give specifics, like it must be under a half inch in diameter, later." 

• Love 2

After reading this thread, I think I was watching a different show on Thursday.  I loved Amanda's dress, although I thought the winning group could have been any of them.  I had missed the first part of the show and tuned in just in time for the runway show.  (Yes, I DVR'd it but I couldn't resist watching the runway.  I figured I could rewind for the drama later.)  So, since I don't really have a feel for the designers yet, I was watching it anonymously.  I thought overall it was just about the best unconventional materials challenge ever.  I didn't think any look was atrocious.  I thought Angela's was too plain - "just a pretty dress" - and one of the "big hip" dresses was not very flattering but none of them struck me as awful.  I did say while watching it that I thought the losing group's dresses might be too similar but I thought their use of film was a cool effect.  I thought the models looked good in the losing team's dresses.  

As to Amanda's - I thought it had a cool vibe (yes, vibe) and I loved the way it moved on the runway.  I thought the dress part was made with white duct tape to go with the green duct tape the others used.   They look the same in the pictures on "Rate the Runway".  Are we sure it isn't white duct tape?  

Last week, I loved Sandhya's look.  I thought the ripped sleeves were a bit much but for a one day challenge where you're supposed to show your POV?  She had one and it wasn't something I'd seen before and I thought her use of print was inspired.  See?  I'm watching a different show!  

I do agree that Sean's look would have been better as a coat.  They had one day.  I expect miracles but not fuckin' miracles.  (I'm a newbie around here, can I say fuckin'?)

• Love 3

After reading this thread, I think I was watching a different show on Thursday.  I loved Amanda's dress, although I thought the winning group could have been any of them.  I had missed the first part of the show and tuned in just in time for the runway show.  (Yes, I DVR'd it but I couldn't resist watching the runway.  I figured I could rewind for the drama later.)  So, since I don't really have a feel for the designers yet, I was watching it anonymously.  I thought overall it was just about the best unconventional materials challenge ever.  I didn't think any look was atrocious.  I thought Angela's was too plain - "just a pretty dress" - and one of the "big hip" dresses was not very flattering but none of them struck me as awful.  I did say while watching it that I thought the losing group's dresses might be too similar but I thought their use of film was a cool effect.  I thought the models looked good in the losing team's dresses.  

As to Amanda's - I thought it had a cool vibe (yes, vibe) and I loved the way it moved on the runway.  I thought the dress part was made with white duct tape to go with the green duct tape the others used.   They look the same in the pictures on "Rate the Runway".  Are we sure it isn't white duct tape?  

Last week, I loved Sandhya's look.  I thought the ripped sleeves were a bit much but for a one day challenge where you're supposed to show your POV?  She had one and it wasn't something I'd seen before and I thought her use of print was inspired.  See?  I'm watching a different show!  

I do agree that Sean's look would have been better as a coat.  They had one day.  I expect miracles but not fuckin' miracles.  (I'm a newbie around here, can I say fuckin'?)

Yes to everything!

I watch PR that way, too--runway first, then back to the beginning.  I like to know the winners and losers so I can cackle about how the storyline is edited.  It used to be nice to have exactly the same information as the judges, but now Tim comes out and dishes the backstage dirt before the final decisions, so that system's shot all to hell.

(IMDb once altered my post to read:   ". . .bat**beep** crazy."  Not here.  Yay!)

• Love 1

I nearly fell out of my seat laughing when  realized one of the  "prizes" was an "opportunity to design an accessory for people who work in Red Robin".

REALLY PEOPLE????  Red Robin?  What happened to Saks, Neiman Marcus, Lord and Taylor?

Almost not worth all the drama...

And it's only an "opportunity", that means it's not a definite thing, the winner will be given a chance to design something. Imagine designing an accessory for a Red Robin uniform & being told it's not good enough to use. LOL

• Love 3

Did PR get kicked out of Mood? We haven't been there yet, and UTG was in LA. Starting to feel strong withdrawal pangs, and I'm worried about Swatch!

Good observation! It's nice to switch it up a bit but two weeks without Swatch is long enough.

Well, now I am wondering what sort of accessories people that work at Red Robin need.  Certainly, they already have any accessory that would be useful - so either they will get to re-design something (an apron, or something to hold the order book) or they are designing something unnecessary (like a brooch or a bracelet).  But it is interesting that they are designing an accessory, not a uniform - just imagine how that meeting went "Sure, we would love to be part of your prize package.  We certainly could use the product placement, although I don't know if people who are interested in high fashion are our target customer.  However, we have seen what sort of taste the judges have <cough> Gretchen <cough>  and don't think our employees would want to wear a uniform your winner designed.  So, let's just go with 'accessory' and give specifics, like it must be under a half inch in diameter, later." 

Do they use flair?  I would love for the winner of project runway to design a "special" piece of flair for the Red Robin uniform....too funny.  I wish they would just let them design the uniform, although they were probably scared everyone would be wearing drop crotch pants.

Yes, you fucking can.  Which is great, because I curse like a fucking sailor ;)

Yeah, I know I expect a lot for a one day challenge, which is why they should always give them more time, especially for the unconventional materials challenge.  I will say that I was surprised the looks were as good as they were for one day, but why bring down the quality of things on the runway by only giving them a day.  The show had plenty of drama when they gave them two days for a challenge.

• Love 1
Amanda's creation reminded me of Emiio's bikini or whatever it was, with all the macrame and metal rings.  I was surprised none of the judges mentioned it.

Since Amanda was brought back (by the viewers? really???), I'm looking for her nice cruise to Fashion Week at least.  I'm sick of her commentaries...again. 

• Love 2

Calamity Jane! OMG yes, I miss Swatch, too!!

I do believe I noticed Mood having a small mention in the credits, so HOPEFULLY, they will be there on one of the shows sometime this season. I mean, unless they're doing the Wal-Mart fabric section instead. It's a whole aisle, you know.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2

Since Amanda was brought back (by the viewers? really???), I'm looking for her nice cruise to Fashion Week at least.  I'm sick of her commentaries...again. 

It's always a heaping serving of bullshit when a show (Ink Master did it too, and I think Face Off as well) does a "viewers voted for a returnee" thing, but it's based on a very limited "menu" of selections they've already made.  Look at the selections this time.  Ken Laurence, Alexander Pope, and Amanda.  Now there's a manipulated list if I've ever seen one.  Would anyone ever vote for Ken for any position better than "dogcatcher" after his previous show exit?  And Alexander was a pissy little unpleasant person too.  So making that list the "viewer choice" was pretty much the same thing as the show simply selecting Amanda anyway.  It's hilarious to act like it's a "viewers' choice" when it's been so tightly manipulated.

I didn't think it was out of line for Heidi to point out that Angela kept her team from winning. Heidi has done that in past seasons, and it was true.

Okay, but it's horribly hypocritical of the show to show Heidi doing that, while peddling a "bullying is wrong" storyline at the same time with another contestant.  Either fashion is a tough business where you need to be able to take your lumps (Heidi's implicit lesson, I guess) or it's not.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

• Love 1

Maybe it was part of a "coming up this season" promo?

It's always a heaping serving of bullshit when a show (Ink Master did it too, and I think Face Off as well) does a "viewers voted for a returnee" thing, but it's based on a very limited "menu" of selections they've already made.  Look at the selections this time.  Ken Laurence, Alexander Pope, and Amanda.  Now there's a manipulated list if I've ever seen one.  Would anyone ever vote for Ken for any position better than "dogcatcher" after his previous show exit?  And Alexander was a pissy little unpleasant person too.  So making that list the "viewer choice" was pretty much the same thing as the show simply selecting Amanda anyway.  It's hilarious to act like it's a "viewers' choice" when it's been so tightly manipulated.

They gave viewers a choice between one of the most volatile (aka bat shit crazy) people to ever be on the show, another contestant with "personality," and a "normal" yet rather unmemorable person and the viewers picked the normal, rather unmemorable person.  Hmm, this gives me hope that the producers will realize that we want designers, not drama (hey, I see all of you shaking your heads and say "no way" - take that opinion somewhere else and let me have my delusions... if only for today).

I thought I'd add the visuals.

Although I wasn't a huge fan of Amanda's everything-but-the-kitchen-sink dress, particularly that one extra long trailing piece, it was miles better than Emilio's string and washers disaster. At least she had a finished garment.

pr13-rr-ep2-av-f.jpg

pr7-ep7-rtr-emilio-f.jpg

Justin's was better. And I'm shocked the judges didn't mention this, since it was just last season.

pr13-rr-ep2-sk-f.jpg

pr12-ep14-jl10-f.jpg

• Love 3

Speaking of Angela, she said to her teammates who came up with the very broad idea of villains - "I don't do villains."  Then she said she wanted to do an angel.  You can't adapt an angel, all white idea into the concept of villains?  What are you doing on this show?  I mean really! 

The first rule of improv is say 'Yes, and . . . '  That's not a bad motto for surviving the contrived fashion world of Project Runway.  Movie challenge?  Yes!  And . . .  Working in teams?  Yes!  And . . . Do it in one day?  Yes!  And . . . 

Angela would suck at improv.  

• Love 1

Speaking of Angela, she said to her teammates who came up with the very broad idea of villains - "I don't do villains."  Then she said she wanted to do an angel.

I didn't understand why they couldn't have all decided, "OK, our theme is angels and villains. We'll do two villains and one angel." Why can't you have good guys and bad guys, like, you know, the movies?

• Love 2

They gave viewers a choice between one of the most volatile (aka bat shit crazy) people to ever be on the show, another contestant with "personality," and a "normal" yet rather unmemorable person and the viewers picked the normal, rather unmemorable person.  Hmm, this gives me hope that the producers will realize that we want designers, not drama (hey, I see all of you shaking your heads and say "no way" - take that opinion somewhere else and let me have my delusions... if only for today).

Totally agree. 

I think Ken was a legitimate offer.  In fact, the producers were probably surprised he didn't win the vote.  They obviously believe viewers prefer drama to a talent competition.

This season we got all the way to Episode 02 before the designers were running around like coked up hamsters, gluing crazy shit together, trying to coordinate--but not too much--with TWO other designers.  Too bad Ken Laurence wasn't there to amp that bitch up to "nuclear"! 

We don't even know their names yet.

Why can't we just watch a bunch of talented unknown designers turn out their clothes and send the three with the most interesting stuff to do a full collection for NY Fashion Week?  We'd watch that, right?

"Survivor" comes from the same production company, I think.  Last season the big news was that  the ratings went up in spite of using unknown players and fewer gimmicks.  Surprise!

My notes that I jotted down while watching the show...

-It's too early for an unconventional team challenge? Have they ever watched this show? 

-Quit ragging on Sendyha, you haters. 

-A 3-piece collection in one day? Oi. 

-I'd be using my coat to carry this crap out of there. 

-I hate when the designers have to run and grab for stuff. It just makes a mess. Can't we have some order?

-With all these THs Korrina is going to be around for a loooonnnngggg time. Sigh. 

-Amanda, the advice to not use fabric-like materials has been given every single season since the inception of this show. You are not giving us a valuable insight in the slightest. 

-If you have immunity, you need to take a backseat and help the team, not take over Sendhya. 

-Uh-oh. Zulema "You can cry, but you better cut any cry!" moment. 

-I actually like Sendyha's thought process for this challenge. It's a shame this is a team challenge. 

-Language is a huge barrier between Carrie, Sendyha, and Hernan. Shades of Casanova all over the place. 

-I see washers! You must now commence with the bikini making!

-I don't care about sob stories. Or the reason you started designing. I'll read your bio if I really want to know. 

-I wish someone would have used candy. The judges would have died over a candy collection.

-ANGELA IS EXHAUSTING. 

-What's this about things looking costumey? I never heard that a directive of this challenge was to make "wearable" clothes, Tim. 

-I wish designers had all the time until the runway show to work on their clothes. If designers want to be at Parsons until 3 A.M. and forego sleep then let them!

-Hernan, don't be calling anyone "baby". 

-I AM GETTING FRUSTRATED WATCHING THIS MESS. ENOUGH WITH THE TEARS. 

-Korrina makes ugly clothes. Gretchen 2.0 indeed. 

-Angela sucks. Quit wasting everyone's time!

-That Aldo wall is awful. More like Alpo. 

-Screw you Angela if you prevent Fade and Sean from the top 3. 

-I miss the L'Oreal Paris make up team. :-(

-Amanda, you have no right to judge anyone's outfit whens yours is HIDEOUS. 

-Hernan, Carrie, and Sendyha's team work: All are pretty boring. Hernan's is the best of the three. 

-Kristine, Korrina, and Amanda: LMBO at any of this crap being edgy and high-fashion. Kristina's is awful, I only like the back of Korrina's, and Amanda's looks like a curtain you hang at a sketchy "tobacco" shop. 

-Samantha, Emily, Alexander: Emily's is poor fitting and ugly, Alexander's is boring (throwaway), and I love Samantha's top, but not the skirt. 

-Angela, Fade, Sean: Angela's dress is pretty pathetic, I like the top of Fade's, but not the bottom, and Sean's is totes adorable, well-done, and cute. 

-Mitchell, Char, and Kini: Very costumey looking collection. Mitchell's is the best of the three while Kini's is overkill (shades of Kayne!). 

-Agree with the bottom, disagree with the top. 

-Angela, if you don't want to picked on then don't create crappy clothes and bring down the team. 

-Dang it Angela! I hated Team Amanda's crap. I blame you for putting me through this! They would have been second. 

-I hear the word "wearability" again. I will ask again- did the challenge call for this? Tim never mentioned it. 

-Team Amanda, you have have no right to be so smug, you technically won the silver medal. 

-Amanda's is awful. Especially with the up-close view. 

-I hate team challenges. They should really pull the weakest design from each team and decide between those for the elimination. Sean and Fade single handedly kept Angela safe when she should have been given the boot. 

-I still hate Team Amanda's garments. Ugly. Ugly. Ugly. Ugly. 

-Heidi, that collection was not stunning. Do not speak for the people. 

-Rolling my eyes big time at an Amanda win. Since she has her obligatory win can she be sent packing episode 4?

-The walls in the stew room are very pretty. 

• Love 1

-A 3-piece collection in one day? Oi. 

-Amanda, the advice to not use fabric-like materials has been given every single season since the inception of this show. You are not giving us a valuable insight in the slightest. 

-If you have immunity, you need to take a backseat and help the team, not take over Sendhya. 

-I actually like Sendyha's thought process for this challenge. It's a shame this is a team challenge. 

-I wish someone would have used candy. The judges would have died over a candy collection.

-Angela sucks. Quit wasting everyone's time!

-That Aldo wall is awful. More like Alpo. 

-Screw you Angela if you prevent Fade and Sean from the top 3. 

-I miss the L'Oreal Paris make up team. :-(

-Kristine, Korrina, and Amanda: LMBO at any of this crap being edgy and high-fashion. Kristina's is awful, I only like the back of Korrina's, and Amanda's looks like a curtain you hang at a sketchy "tobacco" shop. 

-Samantha, Emily, Alexander: Emily's is poor fitting and ugly, Alexander's is boring (throwaway), and I love Samantha's top, but not the skirt. 

-Agree with the bottom, disagree with the top. 

-Angela, if you don't want to picked on then don't create crappy clothes and bring down the team. 

-Dang it Angela! I hated Team Amanda's crap. I blame you for putting me through this! They would have been second. 

-I hear the word "wearability" again. I will ask again- did the challenge call for this? Tim never mentioned it. 

-Team Amanda, you have have no right to be so smug, you technically won the silver medal. 

-Amanda's is awful. Especially with the up-close view. 

And not just a 3 piece collection...an unconventional materials 3 piece collection in one day...ridiculous

Yes, why didn't anyone make a twizzlers dress?  that could have been cool especially if it had used other materials too.

I don't mind Amanda's look, but the other two as top looks confuses me, I keep trying to convince myself to like them since everyone else liked them, but its tough.  I don't think marquee letters over an a-line dress is all that cool, and the VHS ribbon over green duct tape isn't setting my world on fire either.  Duct tape over muslin seems only slightly better than simply picking unconventional materials that mimic cloth.  And while I didn't hate Amandas dress if what she used was a plastic bag to recreate the dress than she pretty much used a material that most mimics fabric, and her "unconventional materials" portion of the dress was maybe 30% of the dress.  I think the win should have gone to someone that used truly unconventional materials for a greater portion of their garment.

Emily's dress was awful IMO, I'm shocked she didn't bring her team to the bottom.  I'm okay with the structured, exaggerated hips look, but the way she did it was just all sorts of strange and ugly.  IMO, its the reason why there shouldn't be one day unconventional materials challenges, with a little work she could have made a few changes and it would have been fine.

I thought Shendaya's thought process for making the collection cohesive was actually good, but as another person posted, they should have put their sketches together and then decided on what elements they were going to use to make the collection cohesive.  But to just start creating the look and then trying to decide how you're going to make it cohesive seems strange.  

They have the same makeup artist it seems for every company, the guy with the handlebar mousetache.  I wonder how he feels working for Mary Kay?

And additionally Shandaya, maybe you need to understand if, on a team challenge where you have immunity, the rest of your team is going to want to take the drivers seat because they can't take the same risks you can take because you can't get sent home.  I did not see the reason for the tears, although I think someone should have just been straight with her and said "listen, you have immunity, you can't get sent home, we can get sent home, so we're just going to need for you to design the prettiest thing you can within the parameters."

Yeah, and big thanks Amanda for that valuable inside knowledge that anyone who has ever watched Project Runway knows.  Whats next, is she going to let us in on the valuable secret that someone is going to get a fat, but sweet and sassy woman for the "real woman" challenge?  And someone else is going to get a size 0, who just really needs a good deep conditioner.

Am I the only one who thinks Korina is a dead ringer for Alanis Morrisette?

Wootini: Just making an outfit and then trying to tweak it afterwards sounds like a REALLY bad idea.

And look, it was!

But, ironically, that isn't where they went wrong. Instead, they all abandoned the individual visions and interpreted "cohesive" as "lookalike." I didn't hate any of them, and thought the textile was pretty, and also agree that Sandhya needed to calm down and be more accommodating from the get-go (due to immunity). But I hated the pile-on at judging and was glad to see Blue Girl go home. I did think that Hernan was pretty insufferable -- I really felt like the loss was directly due to his rigidity and complete lack of flexibility. He basically dictated his vision to the other two (to the point of yelling) then seemed shocked that the judges weren't on board.

Ketzel: I was done with Angela when she had the time to go to the Mary Kay discount makeup salon and order up "soft smoky" eye makeup for the whole team without, apparently, consulting her teammates. This, in spite of the makeup artist suggesting she do something darker and "edgier." And when the other two agreed with the makeup artist and told her they were changing the design, her response was to insist on the "soft" look. I thought she was a second away from explaining it was absolutely required because she wore soft smoky eye makeup on her wedding day and it was Part Of Her Vision. I don't buy the "woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown" persona. She stands up for her own rigid ideas entirely too well for a "fragile" person.

I found it interesting that we had two rather apparently vulnerable, fragile designers this week who came off as potential wet rags, yet who were in actuality too uncompromising. Angela wanting to randomly bring in techniques from her bridal gowns or other looks was really strange to me -- it was such a narrow way to try to come up with a design (and such a weird topical pairing). She was trying too hard to make a past look fit the challenge instead of creating something that would meet it. Meanwhile, I disliked Sandhya's initial look with the circle skirt, but I do think it would have been safe at the very least. It was ugly in an interesting way, which the judges seem to reward more than "pretty in a boring way."

As to the question on judges knowing which designer did which design by their reaction and such, there are multiple runway runs.  

They film the designers reactions on a run-through of the runway when the judges are not present.

When the judges are present, the designers actually sit quietly and say nothing.  Most are watching the judges for their reactions to give them an idea of how the judges feel about their design.

The editing makes it look like both are happening at the same time.

I'm always amused at how seamless the editing is though. They always make it look like the designers are catcalling their designs, giggling and talking among themselves right in front of the judges (even better when it's intercut with a shot of Nina scowling).

I didn't completely hate Angela's dress and I'm sorry but I think what Heidi said to her was totally crappy.  I think Angela was hell bent on doing her wedding dress thing cuz she is limited in what she can do and anything out of her comfort zone scares the shit out of her.  Her fear makes her unable to collaborate with the others since she didn't know how to do it.  I dunno, I don't think it was manipulation as much as fear.  I just think she is in way over her head.

Does anyone really think the "judges" actually pick the winner?  Don't blink or you will miss the disclaimer at the end:  The judges considered both their scores and input from the producers and Lifetime Television.....  I am also in the camp that didn't like the winning team.  I was shocked when they said they won. 

• Love 2

I didn't completely hate Angela's dress and I'm sorry but I think what Heidi said to her was totally crappy.  I think Angela was hell bent on doing her wedding dress thing cuz she is limited in what she can do and anything out of her comfort zone scares the shit out of her.  Her fear makes her unable to collaborate with the others since she didn't know how to do it.  I dunno, I don't think it was manipulation as much as fear.  I just think she is in way over her head.

Does anyone really think the "judges" actually pick the winner?  Don't blink or you will miss the disclaimer at the end:  The judges considered both their scores and input from the producers and Lifetime Television.....  I am also in the camp that didn't like the winning team.  I was shocked when they said they won. 

I don't blame Heidi especially if it was the truth.  As Zach said, they are there to judge what is in front of them, they aren't there to judge a designers motivations and fears.  If she is a limited and can't step out of her comfort zone, Project Runway is not the right show for her, because the judges always stress doing something new an innovative, and if every design is just going to represent you rigidly sticking to doing something you already did, how are you even growing as a designer, and how are you going to bring anything interesting and new to the table?  She knew full well, if she has watched any season of PR that she would have to do a team challenge and so she should have either learned to work on a team prior to coming, or not be shocked when she is called out for being crappy to work with.

I think Angela was being 100% manipulative.  Even during Tim's critique when he was obviously excited about the villian thing and all she can say is that she doesn't want to do villain.  Well thats the way its going, and if you are so committed to the whole "angel" thing, than say you want to do a "dark angel" but why should the voice of one third of the team, who is the least talented, get to determine what the other two do?  Two thirds of the team want to do something else, you better get on board!  Her stubbornly sticking to whatever she wanted to do and then trying to cry when it didn't work out her way smells of manipulation.  I almost wish that her team was on the bottom, just because I suspect she would have been throwing the other two under the bus in the most quiet, manipulative way.

I think Heidi probably has the biggest say in the who the winner is and who gets auf'ed.  But isn't she an executive producer?

• Love 2