Type keyword(s) to search

Swimming, Diving, Water Polo - Live from the Aquatics Centre!

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I felt bad for the American women because I think they knew it wasn't the down to their swimming splits but how they were off the blocks.  And even though it's part of the race, I imagine that hurts more than being outswam. 

It's amazing what the men's team put together considering they barely made it into the final. 

They swapped out all 4 guys from the semi finals. 

As for their heights, I know that our buddy Andrew is 6'6". Apple looked to be that tall. They dwarfed Caeleb. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

The U.S. wasn't as completely dominant but only the most jingoistic would say it was disappointing.

I always feel sorry for US teams which commit what seems like the cardinal sin of not winning. That jingoism of which you speak - I think it's a double-edged sword for your athletes. It's like if you don't win you are a massive loser and it shouldn't be like that. The US women's medley relay team looked so gutted and it's not like they did badly!

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Caeleb is a beast on his own, but he looked almost petite next to the other giants on relay team. Holy cow!

Right?? That was really surprising to me too. I just Wikipedia’d all of their heights. Like The previous poster said, Michael Andrew is 6‘6“. Zach Apple is 6‘7.” And Caeleb and Ryan are the shorties at 6‘3.”

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, katisha said:

I always feel sorry for US teams which commit what seems like the cardinal sin of not winning. That jingoism of which you speak - I think it's a double-edged sword for your athletes. It's like if you don't win you are a massive loser and it shouldn't be like that. The US women's medley relay team looked so gutted and it's not like they did badly!

There are plenty of us who are proud when the US wins any medal.  Its our dumb media who adopts the Ricky Bobby "if you're not first you're last" mindset.  I can't stand when an elated silver medalist gets the old "are you disappointed for NOT WINNING GOLD?" question.

• Love 11

It's interesting how the Chinese team gets infinitely more likable when Sun Yang is stuck at home playing on Weibo as he serves out his suspension. He's been this black cloud hanging over the rest of their program for years. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, kittykat said:

I can't stand when an elated silver medalist gets the old "are you disappointed for NOT WINNING GOLD?" question.

That question should never be asked. It's so redundant for a start! Kyle Chalmers lost narrowly to Caeleb Dressel the other day and he said he was pleased to even be there at all because he was having shoulder surgery seven months ago. Put it all into perspective!

Edited by katisha
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, tanyak said:

Right?? That was really surprising to me too. I just Wikipedia’d all of their heights. Like The previous poster said, Michael Andrew is 6‘6“. Zach Apple is 6‘7.” And Caeleb and Ryan are the shorties at 6‘3.”

It's a little like the USA basketball team where Kevin Durant towers over Damian Lillard and makes Lillard look really short. But Lillard is 6'2". It's just that Durant is 6'11".

What is odd is the super-long torsos all the men have. It gives them this impression of a hulking height.

michael-andrew-50-fly-semifinals-2019-wo

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

They swapped out all 4 guys from the semi finals.

I didn't know how many were swapped but I did know there would be swap outs.  But it's still crazy how close they were to not even being in the final because they went 100% in with a second tier group.

9 minutes ago, kittykat said:

There are plenty of us who are proud when the US wins any medal.  Its our dumb media who adopts the Ricky Bobby "if you're not first you're last" mindset.  I can't stand when an elated silver medalist gets the old "are you disappointed for NOT WINNING GOLD?" question.

That's an awful question.  The media is okay for events where the US usually doesn't do well.  It's only in areas where the US has been dominant in the past where it's gold or bust.

• Love 2

I got the impression that Abbey Weitzeil was devastated, because she thought it was her fault that she didn't win it for the rest of her team.  It must be tough to be handed a lead and not be able to keep it.

That being said, a silver medal is an awesome achievement and they should be really pleased.  The Australian women swam brilliantly and deserved to win.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kittykat said:

Hooray for the US men.  Great day to close out swimming.  I'm glad there was some great challenges there with Great Britain, Australia, China, Canada and Japan.  To the Canadian posters sorry there were so many 4ths but theres some great talent that could see the podium in Paris.

It's okay. 4th is our Gold Medal. 

No in all seriousness - even though 6 may seem like a pitance to most Americans, considering that we hadn't medaled in like 2-3 Olympics before Rio - our Swimming programme was under serious fire. Coming back with 6 medals (same amount as Rio), considering how fast the pool was + all the other competitors (NOT America/USA) - i think that's something amazing to hang our hats on. 

I really hope one day that Canada is as big as a threat as .. well Great Britian (who also overhauled their programme and now is skeerry). I don't think we'll ever be the powerhouse like USA/Aussie but it will be good to come into the Olympics and be a seen a at least a power if not A Power (if this makes sense). 

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Caeleb Dressel recently adopted a huge, fat ginger cat and he has an adorable dog. Any guy who loves animals that much I have to stan.

His love of animals and his ease with being emotionally vulnerable are what sealed the deal for me. 

But just so we're suuuuuuuuuper clear, I've already claimed Caeleb.

The boy is mine.[/Brandy]

Edited by NUguy514
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

WORLD RECORD!!!!!!!!!

Michael Andrew you did something right at last.

Well to be perfectly honest, the US won the gold in spite of his contribution, not because of it. Murphy finished the starting leg 1st and Andrew blew the lead on his final 50 (shocker!) and the US was in third. Dressel got the team back into first and Apple finished it off with that amazing last leg. 

So Andrew has a gold in a relay in which he was the weak link. Every other team member finished their leg in first. Thank goodness he wasn't the anchor! 

I wonder how his cult (family) is going to spin his subpar performances? 

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Useful 6
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

Well to be perfectly honest, the US won the gold in spite of his contribution, not because of it. Murphy finished the starting leg 1st and Andrew blew the lead on his final 50 and the US was in third. Dressel got the team back in first and Apple finished it off with that amazing last leg. 

So Andrew has a gold in a relay in which he was the weak link. Every other team member finished their leg in first. Thank goodness he wasn't the anchor! 

I wonder how his cult (family) is going to spin his subpar performances? 

That's not really fair. Andrew was up against Adam Peaty who is at least a second better than everyone in the field. It was a given that GB would lead after the second leg.

• Love 4

4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Just came here to post that. Wondered what he's making?

4 hours ago, Daisy said:

it looked like a hat?

Maybe for Caeleb's cat?  🥳

• LOL 8

Anyone remember Seabiscuit? The part where he levels up with his competition and then charges forward to win. I think I’m going to start calling Finke “Seabiscuit”. 

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I love when NBC shows Rowdy Gaines’s reactions to certain races — cheering, shouting, jumping up and down!  😂

I have to say, NBC is really going to lose something special in its swimming coverage if/when Rowdy retires or when he passes on someday!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I love these looks at Rowdy. Obviously you can tell that he’s screaming, but it’s hilarious to actually see all the other stuff he’s doing. It looks like he’s grabbing Dan Hicks at one point. Lol

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 2

I’m so sad swimming is over. It’s my absolute favorite event in the Summer Olympics. 

Along with Dressel and Ledecky being Dressel and Ledecky, Bobby Finke’s insane final 50s were my biggest delights. May have been even more impressive than “HERE COMES LEZACK!!”— which is perhaps my most indelible and beloved Olympics moment.

A top-notch and 😲 combination of Finke love with Andrew schadenfreude:

Edited by Souris
  • LOL 13
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

We need a tin medal or something. Britain would clean up with those.

US Figure Skating Nationals gives a pewter medal for fourth place.

9 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

When Caeleb Dressel talked to Mike Tirico tonight, he said that Rowdy yelled down to him after he won, "Welcome to the Club"...I thought that was nice.

I don't think Rowdy yelled it to Caleb. I think Rowdy yelled it over the TV broadcast loud enough for Caleb to hear at the pool level.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

On 7/29/2021 at 11:24 PM, DawnDavenport said:

Where to begin?

Of course the whole anti-vaxx thing. Then I remember reading an article where his dad thinks Michael Phelps wasn't trained correctly and that his son is better than Phelps. Plus, I think the family is very insular: he home-schooled and trained by his dad exclusively. He's also said he brest friends are his sister, mom, and dad. Creepy. 

I really don't like Michael Phelps, but even I have to admit the man was a supremely talented swimmer.  If he wasn't trained correctly, I don't know who actually was.

On 7/30/2021 at 6:34 PM, ShellsandCheese said:

He’s not wrong. There’s so much doping in swimming. Michael Phelps has said he doesn’t think he ever competed against a field of completely clean athletes. Russians are an easy target at the moment but it’s always been an issue. I just wish more athletes would take a stand against doping and not just speak out when they lose; because that just comes across like someone making accusation simply because they lost. (Ex. people accusing Ian Thorpe of doping) Like would Ryan Murphy had said anything if he won? Probably not. 

It doesn't seem like swimming had been a major focus for Russian doping efforts over the last few Olympics, because they really hadn't done particularly well in that sport.  Doesn't mean it isn't now, of course.

Edited by proserpina65
didn't mean to repeat myself
  • Love 1
On 7/30/2021 at 11:06 PM, kittykat said:

It's also sexist because I've never heard the same argument with regards to trans men.

I would think that trans men would have a disadvantage when competing against cis men because they didn't go through puberty with similar testosterone levels.

On 7/31/2021 at 1:36 AM, katisha said:

No offence to the US folk on this forum but as an Aussie I am always happier to lose to Canada or the Brits than the Americans. Sorry... don't hate me lol

I'm an American, and I heartily endorse this.  I almost always root against American swimmers.  (And American athletes in general - it's a complicated thing which would require far too much space to explain.)

• Love 2
On 7/31/2021 at 10:51 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Michael Andrew you did something right at last.

I think I'd phrase it more as "You did something less wrong than usual".  For me, the worst thing about the US men winning was that asshole getting a medal.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, tanyak said:

I love these looks at Rowdy. Obviously you can tell that he’s screaming, but it’s hilarious to actually see all the other stuff he’s doing. It looks like he’s grabbing Dan Hicks at one point. Lol

I for one applaud him for burning the most calories while doing a broadcast.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 8/1/2021 at 12:55 AM, Lady Whistleup said:

Caeleb Dressel recently adopted a huge, fat ginger cat and he has an adorable dog. Any guy who loves animals that much I have to stan.

Okay, well that does improve my opinion of him.  I will never be a fan (and that's more on NBC's incessant coverage rather than the man himself), but I have to respect someone who adopts animals.

13 hours ago, tanyak said:

See, this is what I hate about Gaines.  I don't want announcers to be so biased about one country's athletes.  A little excited, sure, but going crazy like this?  Absolutely not.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I think I'd phrase it more as "You did something less wrong than usual".  For me, the worst thing about the US men winning was that asshole getting a medal.

He was a 58.1 from a flying start in the relay. The usual conversion on that is about a 58.7 flat start. Given that he's gone 58.0/58.1 fro ma flat start earlier, his relay swim was indeed in that 'sucking less' realm compared to how badly it could have gone rather than swimming up to known ability. 

1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

I for one applaud him for burning the most calories while doing a broadcast.

That explains how he stays so thin. I should try the Rowdy Gaines Exercise Routine. 🤣🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

or when he passes on someday!

Probably while he’s commentating, I’m sure they have a defibrillator onsite on Rowdy’s shift. 😄

• LOL 4

I used to be a big fan of diving. I was still a teenager and I remember watching 15 year old Ken Terauchi at the 96 Olympics, then seeing him again in 00, 04 and 08. He was never really a medal contender but he always made it to the finals.

This was my first time watching a diving finals in a decade. I watched the livestream and it was nice to see him at 40 at his 6th Olympics still pursuing that dream of getting a medal.

I'm 40 now too and it just brought a wave of nostalgia and bittersweet feelings of unfulfilled teenage dreams. I wish him the best if this is his last Olympics or if he decides to keep pursuing his dream.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/04/2f7c8f4d661f-gravity-of-tokyo-games-situation-pushing-terauchi-to-dig-deeper.html

On 8/2/2021 at 8:32 AM, proserpina65 said:

I'm an American, and I heartily endorse this.  I almost always root against American swimmers.  (And American athletes in general - it's a complicated thing which would require far too much space to explain.)

I thought it was just me and I don't even have an explanation that I can articulate!  Sometimes I'm watching something where I don't even know the athletes (i.e. I was watching beach volley ball with teams I hadn't seen previously) and it's like a reflex I just route against the American team.  I  live in LA and I do it with our sports teams too!  I keep it on the DL and will pretend I'm routing for the Lakers, Dodgers, etc. do my friends and co-workers but I'm so happy when they loose.  I have issues.

Back on topic though - I was routing for the American team in the mens springboard synchro diving.  Of course I found one really attractive so......  

• Love 1

Today I learned that "synchronized swimming" is now  called "Artistic Swimming".  I went to one of the preliminary rounds at the 1996 Atlanta games, and not knowing anything about "synchro" was not expecting to be as mesmerized, but there were of course many rabid fans in our area in the stands who were happy to help us understand what's going on, and now I love watching it.

One way to be really impressed by these athletes is to try to hold your breath when they are underwater. Just sitting on the couch, and I'm gasping. I love the camera views they are using where we can see a split of the above/below water activity.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I'm watching the women's high platform diving, and I am enjoying the female presenter's commentary.  She's very informative about the technicalities and requirements.

(A 14-year-old Chines athlete just scored perfect 10s!!!)

• Love 1