Type keyword(s) to search

Swimming, Diving, Water Polo - Live from the Aquatics Centre!

• Start Topic

(edited)
10 hours ago, Chaser said:

In the Phelps commentary discussion, he lacks polish and sounds nervous. He needs experience.

I agree with this. Honestly, he's miles ahead of many of the basketball and football players I've seen step off the court/field and into the booth. And NBC will absolutely keep giving him opportunities, which will help. I agree he seems better with Tirico during the fireside-style chats. 

ETA: Is it just me, or does the US seem "off?" I know we've picked up medals, but things just seem a little weird. I know that Dressel has the bulk of his program still to come, so maybe that will change the feel. 

Edited by tanyak
16 minutes ago, tanyak said:

ETA: Is it just me, or does the US seem "off?" I know we've picked up medals, but things just seem a little weird. I know that Dressel has the bulk of his program still to come, so maybe that will change the feel. 

I think you feel this way because they aren’t as dominate as they’ve been in the past - and I have no problems with it. I’ve enjoyed that most of the races have been competitive and have produced some unexpected results. That’s why I hate NBC’s coverage. They always try to create the story instead of letting the stories create themselves and just letting the drama, excitement, and agony of the Olympics play out. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

I think you feel this way because they aren’t as dominate as they’ve been in the past - and I have no problems with it. I’ve enjoyed that most of the races have been competitive and have produced some unexpected results. That’s why I hate NBC’s coverage. They always try to create the story instead of letting the stories create themselves and just letting the drama, excitement, and agony of the Olympics play out. 

I agree. While blowouts like Katie Ledecky's in the 1500M freestyle are fun to watch, to me, the real excitement of that race was the battle for Silver and Bronze. That's why it was thrilling to see us get a Silver medal in that event as well -- I honestly did not see that coming!

• Love 5

I think all the athletes are suffering from the lack of crowds, lack of family support and a general lack of energy in the venues.

There is something about the cheering and thousands of flashbulbs going off and through it all hearing your parent called your name in support that really motivates athletes.

The games has a definite lack of momentum, but I absolutely loving some of the great moments.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

One thing I can't get over about diving is how they can flip themselves off these 2-giraffe high platforms and not hurt themselves upon hitting the water. I cringe every time I watch it!!! 😳

It's the angle at which they enter the water. A belly flop would def hurt. 😄

Edited by ferjy
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Pennytime! (100 free sf though). 

This Hong-Kong swimmer is really good. she won the heat
Campbell was 2nd, and Penny finished 3rd

Edited by Daisy
14 minutes ago, ferjy said:

I watched it on NBC, it's the first time I heard Rowdy. I see what you all mean. Ultra enthusiastic. 😄

Rowdy’s the best. He cheers for the Americans, but he’s not obnoxious about it. He just loves good, close racing. 

• Love 4
(edited)
2 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

She finished third in her semi, she's in the final.

Thanks. I couldn't even cheer for China by mistake, no red suits in the water at all. lol

22 minutes ago, Daisy said:

man I love the Olympics.

And it's so nice that we only have to wait a year (well, less) for the next Olympics!

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, ferjy said:

It's the angle at which they enter the water. A belly flop would def hurt. 😄

Yes, I was thinking about belly flops. Ouch!! Thankfully, these talented athletes seem to know how to avoid them. 😊

• Love 1

I'm glad Canada is putting Summer first in the relay. She's never competed in a relay at a major international championship before, so it's better to let her not worry about the handoff.

I just saw this come up because I can't watch live in Australia (damn work!) - HOW did we manage to lose that 4 x 200 metre freestyle race when the supposed B team which swam in the heats came close to breaking a WR?  I am gobsmacked!

1 minute ago, katisha said:

I just saw this come up because I can't watch live in Australia (damn work!) - HOW did we manage to lose that 4 x 200 metre freestyle race when the supposed B team which swam in the heats came close to breaking a WR?  I am gobsmacked!

All three teams that medaled broke the existing WR.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Yes, I was thinking about belly flops. Ouch!! Thankfully, these talented athletes seem to know how to avoid them. 😊

I want to see them do a bomb off those diving platforms. No spectators this year, so no risk of blasting them with water. Come on, divers. I even have a pictogram for you.

AmwKgi.jpg

Edited by ferjy
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

NBC was showing Dressel profiles all day and they totally worked on me. Very quirky and clearly he has a big heart. He’s the swimmer who handed the relay medal to the teammate who swam in the prelims (who will get his own medal but was not allowed on the podium.)

Also, that was the first time the live video chat thing kind of worked. So sweet to see him overcome like that.

• Love 4

On paper the Chinese 4x200 actually looked pretty good, but it's always a question if they get everyone to show up on a given day. And today they made everything fall into place. 

It wouldn't really be a proper Olympics without a puzzling underperformance by Australia somewhere and they were kind of due.