Type keyword(s) to search

Swimming, Diving, Water Polo - Live from the Aquatics Centre!

• Start Topic

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Australia looked gobsmacked that they lost

24 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

What an upset for Australia. They looked stunned.

I feel bad for them too. It's always worse when you're favoured to win gold. I remember Debi Thomas in figure skating in the Calgary Olympics. She had two bad falls which she just never had, that brought her down to bronze. We got a silver because of it, but I felt so bad for her.

Edited by ferjy
mispelled name
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's a shock that Australia came in third.  At the same time, it's hard to talk "upset" when all three teams who medaled, including the Aussies, broke the previous WR in the event.

If anything, team USA and China might have over performed related to expectations. Katie, for sure, had a wow performance given how underwhelming her appearance in the individual event was.  It made for a very exciting race.  And I was happy to see how happy the US women were for getting Silver. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6
(edited)
16 minutes ago, ferjy said:

I feel bad for them too. It's always worse when you're favoured to win gold. I remember Debbie Thomas in figure skating in the Calgary Olympics. She had two bad falls which she just never had, that brought her down to bronze. We got a silver because of it, but I felt so bad for her.

Yes. That's why I was thrilled that the US won a Silver. We weren't expected to win Gold in this event despite Katie Ledecky swimming the anchor leg, and in fact, I wasn't even sure we were going to get Silver for much of the race. When the expectation is much lower, it's easier to take "losing" Gold in stride because we still won Silver -- AND we did it ahead of the world record pace even though China beat us to that record, too.

The Aussies should be proud of that Bronze!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

In retrospect, the Aussie coaching staff screwed up with relay composition- they left Mollie O’Callaghan and her 1:55.1 flat start off the finals squad and that could have been the difference. 

The problem was that they brought Leah Neale to the meet as a relay-only swimmer and the rules say that, in absence of proven injury or illness, you have to race any athletes brought for relay-only (it comes down to that they don't want an athlete who doesn't swim a race taking a quota spot away from an athlete who had a B time standard but didn't get an Olympic invitation) so they had to use her at some point in the meet. She actually overperformed compared to her Trials swim but was still significantly slower from a flying start than Mollie had been from a flat start in prelims. 

• Useful 2
37 minutes ago, selkie said:

It wouldn't really be a proper Olympics without a puzzling underperformance by Australia somewhere and they were kind of due. 

True!  But to be honest, this one will really sting the swimming powers that be because I think they'd pretty much already counted it into their numbers.  Maybe they should have let the B team swim again.

Meanwhile, congrats to Zac Stubblety-Cook.  That's a race we've never been much good in so it's a huge result for him.  And Kyle Chalmers was so chilled out about only getting the silver in the 100m final because as he pointed out, if the Olympics had been last year he wouldn't have been able to compete at all as he had to have shoulder surgery.  Puts it all into perspective and I'm really happy for him. :)

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

I feel Titmus should have been the anchor. Based on what I saw of her in her gold medal winning races, she knows how to overtake the lead and finish. 

Good point. She excels at coning from off the pace.

• Love 2

Holy shit, I canNOT believe how Finke went from fifth to first in about two seconds at about the 785m point of the 800m.  What a crazy, amazing, awesome race!!

Also, awesome?  My Olympics husband Caeleb Dressel's incredible win!  Yet AGAIN, though, Dan and Rowdy seemed to be watching from a weird angle because Dan (I believe) sort of casually said around the 85m mark Caeleb was going to win gold, and I was like, "WHAT IS YOUR DAMAGE????  DO YOU NOT SEE KYLE CHALMERS CHASING HIM DOWN LIKE A FUCKING MISSILE????" Caeleb's post-race interview caused me to break down.  When he broke down saying that it was a really hard year, I broke down along with him.  I really appreciated his vulnerability.

I'm sure Dan and Rowdy were trying to build up Michael Andrew since he's American and it was clear that Chase Kalisz was not going to make the 200IM final, but I know too much about Andrew, guys.  I want him to win exactly nothing.

• Love 11

8th place in the women's 800M heats in Rio- 8:25

8th place in the women's 800M heats in Tokyo- 8:20.5

Newcomers are making the event crazy-fast- the only Rio finalists who made the Tokyo final are Ledecky and Germany's Sarah Kohler. 

It'll be interesting to see how much everyone has left in the tank for the final. I get the feeling Ledecky swam for place rather than time and while there were probably a lot of swimmers all out to qualify, teenagers generally are quicker to recover than older athletes. 

On 7/27/2021 at 8:14 PM, purist said:

Ariarne Titmus is breathtakingly good. Her last 15 metres was ridiculous!

In other news, Tom Daley has knitted a pouch for his gold medal. I may die from the cuteness.

I always thought I couldn't love Tom Daley more than I already did...

And then I found out he knits and crochets.  In his pajamas.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPOgoZ0Fj2J/

And then I found out he has an entire IG dedicated to his projects

And then I found out that he not only crocheted a couch for his cats, but he made a miniature granny square afghan to go over the back of it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQJg8QYF34q/

And then I found out that he made a blanket for a little boy with CH.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COAt5HTF0cb/

And then found out he knit his medal a cozy (colorwork, no less!)

And he's finally old enough that I can drool over him without feeling like a dirty old lady (well, a less dirty old lady).

Seriously, I cannot love him any more.  It's become painful!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Sile said:

I always thought I couldn't love Tom Daley more than I already did...

And then I found out he knits and crochets.  In his pajamas.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPOgoZ0Fj2J/

And then I found out he has an entire IG dedicated to his projects

And then I found out that he not only crocheted a couch for his cats, but he made a miniature granny square afghan to go over the back of it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQJg8QYF34q/

And then I found out that he made a blanket for a little boy with CH.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COAt5HTF0cb/

And then found out he knit his medal a cozy (colorwork, no less!)

And he's finally old enough that I can drool over him without feeling like a dirty old lady (well, a less dirty old lady).

Seriously, I cannot love him any more.  It's become painful!

In tribute, the LoveCrafts website has a free pattern for a crochet doll of Tom Daley with his medal.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Liendo is Canada's most promising young male swimmer.  It'd be great if he could somehow squeak into the final here as a learning experience.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Lmao she just realized she won and got the world record. I love reactions like that.

I thought she knew and was wondering why she was so blasé about it, then her reaction. lol

• Love 1

Honestly that's why i love the olympics. great races and then people just being happy for each other. i'm happy for all the medalists. (I was South African for that race LOL)

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Lmao she just realized she won and got the world record. I love reactions like that.

Doesn't matter the sport the winner having a delayed realization that they've won/set a record is always great.

• Love 2
Just now, ferjy said:

Well, that's over.

I will say - i know that most of our swimmers are back end swimmers but i feel sometimes that's gonna burn their butts more times than naught lol

5 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

That bit about 'Russian Olympic Committee or whatever the Olympic Committee wants us to call it.' That from Ryan Murphy made me laugh.

The figure skating forum during the last Winter Games was calling them NotRussians. 

• LOL 2
3 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Top 5 were all faster than the gold medalists' time in 2016.

With all the records being set and everything I'm wondering if the pool itself is fast. I remember there was an Olympics (I wanna say Sydney? Maybe Beiing?) the pool was so fast records were falling left right and centre.

2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

With all the records being set and everything I'm wondering if the pool itself is fast. I remember there was an Olympics (I wanna say Sydney? Maybe Beiing?) the pool was so fast records were falling left right and centre.

That was also the era of the suits that are now banned.  

• Love 4