Type keyword(s) to search

Swimming, Diving, Water Polo - Live from the Aquatics Centre!

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

This one. Holy mother of lord helicopter parents.

Um okay.

I think it was an older ESPN profile, but near the end they were at a meet and his father was forcing him to compete while Michael didn't want too and it gave me so many red flags. 

15 hours ago, selkie said:

Someone over on SwimSwam just compared Titmus' coach to Shane Tusup, Katinka Hossozu's ex-husband and ex-coach and yeah I can see the unfortunate similarity. It's a yellier coaching style than you typically get in the USA at that level.

I would agree that Titmus' coach seemed incredibly harsh in that video segment we saw of them training.  I had the volume down but just looking at his facial expressions, he was barking at her seemingly all the time.  So intense.  Maybe that coaching style works for her, but it seems more reminiscent of times in the past and certainly doesn't seem like it would fly in 2021.

I'm surprised there wasn't more shock that Ledecky didn't win.  I don't follow swimming except during the Olympics, but I think I heard Rowdy say that Ledecky's best time this year was 5 seconds behind Titmus?  And this was one of her fastest swims and she still only finished second.  She didn't seem that upset about losing, so maybe it was expected.  Hope she has a chance to dominate in the 800 and the new longer 1500..

1 hour ago, greyhorse said:

I'm surprised there wasn't more shock that Ledecky didn't win.  I don't follow swimming except during the Olympics, but I think I heard Rowdy say that Ledecky's best time this year was 5 seconds behind Titmus?  And this was one of her fastest swims and she still only finished second.  She didn't seem that upset about losing, so maybe it was expected.  Hope she has a chance to dominate in the 800 and the new longer 1500..

I do think that the addition (at last!) of the 1500m race in the Olympics helps to soften the blow a bit. I'm pretty sure that Katie is a shoo-in for gold in that one, and probably for the 800 too. In her 1500 heat today, the commentators were talking about how Katie likes the longer races because she has more time to be in tune with her body. So I think the fact that she has been so dominant in the 400 is just icing on the distance cake for her. It's exciting that she gets to  share the glory with up and coming swimmers like Ariarne Titmus. 

I remember when synchronized diving was announced as an Olympic sport... I just thought the idea was idiotic. Holy crap, though, every time I see it, I'm transfixed. It's incredible to watch.

These days when a new sport is brought on I'm less inclined to go 'that's stupid' and sit in the 'wait and see' mode. Like sport climbing?! Bring it on. Surfing? Sure! Do it!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Dandesun said:

I remember when synchronized diving was announced as an Olympic sport... I just thought the idea was idiotic. Holy crap, though, every time I see it, I'm transfixed. It's incredible to watch.

These days when a new sport is brought on I'm less inclined to go 'that's stupid' and sit in the 'wait and see' mode. Like sport climbing?! Bring it on. Surfing? Sure! Do it!

lol i know what you mean. (Skateboarding was blegh) but usually they announce something new i tend to give it benefit of the doubt.

Holy cow Tom Daley! WHOOHOO!

• Love 5
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

I remember when synchronized diving was announced as an Olympic sport... I just thought the idea was idiotic.

I think everyone imagined it like synchronized swimming. 😄

29 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Holy cow Tom Daley! WHOOHOO!

I saw it earlier today but it loses nothing on rewatch. So beautiful to watch. They're perfectly synchronized.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 1

I swear, those divers have muscles i didn't know even existed. 

Tom Daley and his partner Matty Lee were exquisite. I loved the cut to Tom's husband watching him win and it was just one long, high pitched scream. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I love Tom Daley so happy for him. I feel like I've seen him grow up through the Olympics. 

Me as well. He's all grown up now. Which must mean I'm old. lol

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Let's Go Summer. 

yeah - but she could be booted out of the final

Thanks. Right, that's why I asked. Yikes.

Let's Go Summer!

2 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Yeah, it just means she's on the bubble.

Thanks.

Macdonald: She's looking at Ledecky
Me: She's looking at Ledecky's butt.  LOL

hmmmmmm
Penny is In - Summer might be out. Had she finished 3rd-4th she'd be in. Yeup. Summer is 9th. 

(edited)

Go Kylie! GO KYLIE! GOOO GOOO!
GOOO GOOO GOOO GOO..
that was soooo closeeeee. 

We will totally take the silver! The Australian just sniped her. 

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, SeanC said:

Smith has kind of struggled in the clutch of late.

Great job by Kaylee, and Kylie also did well, though she’s undoubtedly disappointed.

She did look disappointed. She wanted that gold.

Just now, SeanC said:

Smith has kind of struggled in the clutch of late.

Great job by Kaylee, and Kylie also did well, though she’s undoubtedly disappointed.

Yeah. It's kinda bummer she couldn't win (since she was undefeated the last 4 years) but Mackewon was just zooomy. 

4 medals so fast (we had 6 in Rio) so i think this is really really good pace. 

Just now, Daisy said:

4 medals so fast (we had 6 in Rio) so i think this is really really good pace. 

Two other relay medals are virtually in the bag, so we'll equal that easily.

• Love 1

WOW. 
1-2 ROC and knocks the USA from the top first time in 6 olympics.

2 minutes ago, Chaser said:

It has to suck to have all this momentum going into the Olympics and then….global pandemic.

It's weird - a lot of athletes benefited from the extra year of rest and it impacted others negatively. 

• Love 1
Just now, SeanC said:

Jeez, CBC, could you let Kylie get her breath regular first?

I can't remember them doing this at the Olympics before. like some of these guys are dying and they are like "So lemme ask you a question."  

• LOL 1
Just now, Daisy said:

I can't remember them doing this at the Olympics before. like some of these guys are dying and they are like "So lemme ask you a question."  

And often intricate questions, "What is the square root of 20,736?" Give them a break!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

This is the longest into an Olympics without an American woman swimmer winning a gold medal in like thirty years.  Can King deliver the goods for her country?

EDIT:  Nope, it's Jacoby who is the hero.

Edited by SeanC
2 minutes ago, SeanC said:

This is the longest into an Olympics without an American woman swimmer winning a gold medal in like thirty years.  Can King deliver the goods for her country?

No, but Jacoby had her back. Did not see that coming.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2