Type keyword(s) to search

Swimming, Diving, Water Polo - Live from the Aquatics Centre!

• Start Topic

Happy for Jacoby.  The shots of her friends/classmates and parents was sweet.  The composure of these athletes is impressive.  17 years old, half way around the world competing on the biggest stage, you win gold against the favorite, then you see your parents on the tv?  Hard not to lose it and start crying.  Maybe that's why they did away with the talking?

Ryan Murphy and Regan Smith, meh, that's too bad but at least they got a bronze.  Got to think however that if they could, they'f give a McKayla Maroney smirk.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

So it sounds like Lilly King can be sort of a jerk?

She's straightforward enough to be kind of complicated- fierce competitor who sees no need to be particularly nice in the ready room but by all accounts a really great teammate when the race is over and will go from trying to stare down Lydia Jacoby in the ready room to being one of the first to go congratulate her and declare her the new queen. Brutally honest and is more than willing to say that yes, she did screw up and deserved to get DQed at a big meet. The finger wagging thing is probably a one off until she's drawn a lane to another big name swimmer who seems to have had a doping ban reduced for political reasons. (And there are a lot of swimmers who loved the finger wag because she did something they wouldn't have the guts to do)

The tone toward her in the media has changed a bit in the last year or two when  people seemed to realized if it was Liam King out there instead of Lily King, that person would draw great praise for their approach to the sport.  

• Love 10

I was pleasantly surprised by how gracious Lilly King was tonight. All I knew about her was the infamous finger wag in Rio and then how she won the gold medal and was still talking trash about her competitors. She seemed genuinely happy for Jacoby.

During the trials, they ran a story of King going to the funeral of the father of one of her teammates, and promising her mother that she would take care of her (the teammate) and do everything her power to help her make the team - and she did!  She even beat King, who was really happy for her.

I kind of like her unapologetic, wanting-to-win persona, but, back 1,000 years ago when I did sport, young women and girls had to be gracious and "nice" all of the time.  It's refreshing that today's athletes are pressured less to care about such things.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

During the trials, they ran a story of King going to the funeral of the father of one of her teammates, and promising her mother that she would take care of her (the teammate) and do everything her power to help her make the team - and she did!  She even beat King, who was really happy for her.

I kind of like her unapologetic, wanting-to-win persona, but, back 1,000 years ago when I did sport, young women and girls had to be gracious and "nice" all of the time.  It's refreshing that today's athletes are pressured less to care about such things.

I remember that story it was her training partner and she had to drive like 5 hours to the funeral. Lily does seem like a genuine nice person.

• Love 2

There were some good races today and some good heats too! I like it when the races are super close and not body length or multi second blowouts. Now on to more important things, lol - will this be the place to talk about synchronized swimming when it starts? :) 

• Love 2

“Michael doesn’t need to be inundated with sex and drugs and ideas from liberal professors,” Tina Andrew said to ESPN at the time.

Oy. And you're telling me this family is Jesus crazy and anti-vaxx? I never would have believed it!

Looks like I was wrong about Great Britain not getting any more golds in the pool. I'm too used to the US and Australia just hoovering up all the medals, but it looks like there's a lot more competition across the board, without a single dominant swimmer like Phelps.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Michael Phelps continues to struggle as a color commentator. I think he's a very introverted person and not that talkative. Which is totally okay but he just doesn't have much to say.

I've actually really been enjoying his in-studio chats with Mike Tirico. I always found his interviews when he was competing to be exceedingly dull and repetitive, and this is probably the most relaxed and talkative I've ever seen him. It's nice to see how excited he is to root for the new swimmers and relive some of his own favorite memories.

• Love 12
21 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

ve actually really been enjoying his in-studio chats with Mike Tirico.

I think he might be pretty good interviewing other swimmers for background stories, but i just don’t think he will ever be good at live, spontaneous race calling.

• Love 5

9 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Michael Phelps continues to struggle as a color commentator. I think he's a very introverted person and not that talkative. Which is totally okay but he just doesn't have much to say. 

I don't think he's good at all.  And I don't think his interviews with Mike Tirico are any better.  I know it's not entirely his fault because Tirico steered the conversation there, but a good bit of what I saw was just the two of them rehashing how Phelps felt during one of his relay races.  Phelps seemed better at recapping his own relay race than what he actually is supposed to be doing, that is, commenting on the current races and adding insight and value about the current Olympians.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Oy. And you're telling me this family is Jesus crazy and anti-vaxx? I never would have believed it!

Looks like I was wrong about Great Britain not getting any more golds in the pool. I'm too used to the US and Australia just hoovering up all the medals, but it looks like there's a lot more competition across the board, without a single dominant swimmer like Phelps.

I wonder if he takes some of those Olympic condoms home or if mama  will confiscate anything ungodly .

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Benfeito and McKay must be kicking themselves. Their dives were great until the 4th round. So disappointed for them.

i remember they were saying that one dive was really hard for McKay because of her broken foot. it really was a shame 

17 hours ago, Daisy said:

LOL CBC

The American - the OTHER American wins!

I switched back to NBC (so I missed that). That is awesome though. I was happy to see Jaceby (sp) win. They showed her home town in Alaska and they were all jumping cheering (with masks). It was nice to see. 

I looked her up, she is going into her senior year of HS. And was/is on the high school swim team. That will be intimidating for her peers.... 

• Love 3

While the prelims-only athletes on swimming and track relays get the medals that the finals squad does, they aren't part of the formal medal ceremony. Unless Caleb Dressel is involved and he can flip his medal from the 4x100 FR to prelims-only swimmer Brooks Curry in the stands. Nice gesture of respect bettween teammates. 

• Love 1

The Canadian guy (I didn't catch which one) just swam a life time best. (he's still like 8th in the semi final)  but that's really good. sometimes it's not about winning.

Just now, Daisy said:

The Canadian guy (I didn't catch which one) just swam a life time best. (he's still like 8th in the semi final)  but that's really good. sometimes it's not about winning.

Yeah, when you put up a PB and you finish eighth, you just tip your cap.

Dressel looks good.

• Love 2

They all look even....

Penny is first in the first 50. goo gooo. 
Now Penny is 3rd. nooo noooo
Now Titmus overtook Penny. gah gaahhhh
Penny is now zooming. goo goo goo. goo gooo goo GOO GO
PENNY WINS BRONZE! WOOOO!
Ariane wins! WOOO!
Ledecky where did she go? 

• Love 4

Penny is now tied for the all-time record for Canadian Olympians, and this pretty much guarantees a repeat of her four medal performance from Rio, which will put her comfortably ahead of Clara Hughes and Cindy Klassen.

A bunch of people just lost their shirts betting on Ledecky here. What happened?

• Love 2
Just now, Daisy said:

They all look even....

Penny is first in the first 50. goo gooo. 
Now Penny is 3rd. nooo noooo
Now Titmus overtook Penny. gah gaahhhh
Penny is now zooming. goo goo goo. goo gooo goo GOO GO
PENNY WINS BRONZE! WOOOO!
Ariane wins! WOOO!
Ledecky where did she go? 

lol Breathe, breathe...

• LOL 1
Just now, SeanC said:

Penny is now tied for the all-time record for Canadian Olympians, and this pretty much guarantees a repeat of her four medal performance from Rio, which will put her comfortably ahead of Clara Hughes and Cindy Klassen.

A bunch of people just lost their shirts betting on Ledecky here. What happened?

I wonder if she just didn't feel it tonight and since the 1500 is tonight as well she was like might as well just use this as warmup?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, SeanC said:

They're saying that she would probably preserve her energy because she's in the 1500m later, which is her baby. Guess they were right.

Edited by ferjy
2 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Not me, I thought Titmus had the edge in the 200 and Ledecky had the edge in the 800 and 1500. The 400 was the tossup.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I wonder if she just didn't feel it tonight and since the 1500 is tonight as well she was like might as well just use this as warmup?

You're in my head. 😄

• LOL 1