Type keyword(s) to search

Swimming, Diving, Water Polo - Live from the Aquatics Centre!

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, SnarkShark said:

Damn. US Women playing Japan in Water Polo.

It's a SLAUGHTER.  25 to 4.  Geez.  Is this game supposed to score that high? 

There must be something in the water (ahem). Spain similarly destroyed South Africa 29-4 just a couple of hours later. That's an Olympic record,

• LOL 3

I realize that goal differential is an important tiebreaker for pool play in a lot of team sports, but dang, it gets ugly when a team feels like they have to run up the score like that against the weak spot in their pool. 

• Love 1

That interview with the athlete saying the 17-year old competitors telling her she's old at 24. So young yet so old. Guess I'd be in the Old Sage category.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

I was so happy for him!  But I wanted him to have someone to celebrate with.  Someone give that guy a hug!  What an amazing swim.

I wanted to hug him because he just needed it! I was so excited for him.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Wow! How exciting to see the swimmer from Tunisa win gold! Love seeing an upset like that.

I agree, even though he beat our Aussie swimmer. 😊

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

ETA: holy lol awkward interview with Chase. "He's in extreme pain but ..." while Chase is on camera doubling over in pain. Give him a chance to catch his breath!

It was so awkward. And does he hate his family? Because he did not care at all when they were on screen.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

It was so awkward. And does he hate his family? Because he did not care at all when they were on screen.

It did look like that. But he did say that he couldnt hear them. Though that could have been an excuse. lol

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

That was ... awkward. It was a contrast to the other swimmer who was crying with emotion seeing his family.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

ETA: holy lol awkward interview with Chase. "He's in extreme pain but ..." while Chase is on camera doubling over in pain. Give him a chance to catch his breath!

And some of the American and Canadian interviewers have to give the athletes a break. They're posing question after question that some of them can barely reply to in English. The swimmer from Tunisa had a hard time conveying his obvious glee and she kept at it with the questions. Just congratulate him and let him go! "What does this mean for your country?" He looked at her in utter bewilderment. 😄

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
Just now, ferjy said:

And some of the American and Canadian interviewers have to give the athletes a break. They're posing question after question that some of them can barely reply to in English. The swimmer from Tunisa had a hard time conveying his obvious glee and she kept at it with the questions. Just congratulate him and let him go! "What does this mean for your country?" He looked at her in utter bewilderment. 😄

Aww I thought the Tunisian swimmer was charming. You could tell he was shocked and didn't have all the canned answers the way heavy favorites would. He was barely articulate but overwhelmed. All the feels watching that.

• Love 12
Just now, Lady Whistleup said:

Aww I thought the Tunisian swimmer was charming. You could tell he was shocked and didn't have all the canned answers the way heavy favorites would. He was barely articulate but overwhelmed. All the feels watching that.

Oh absolutely he was. But the interviewer could have modified the questions or shortened them.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Somewhere an NBC exec is crying after they realized someone older than Phelps is still competing. 

Ous Melouli is the Oksana Chusovitina of swimming. And likely the reason why Ahmed Hanaoui became a swimmer. 

The crowd over at SwimSwam noted that the second Rowdy got into 'I don't think he can hold on' was when it was guaranteed that  Hanaoui would indeed be successful outside smoke. (The swimmer who makes it into an outside lane in a final by a literal fingernail and then just goes for it and finds glory) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Oh absolutely he was. But the interviewer could have modified the questions or shortened them.

I don't really know that English was his issue.  He was clearly overwhelmed, winded (does NBC have some kind of 1st interview exclusive rights?) And he's not practiced in the types of interview questions sports reporters ask.  I mean really---the athlete is unlikely to be able to put what his/her win means to their country two seconds after they get the win. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't really know that English was his issue.  He was clearly overwhelmed, winded (does NBC have some kind of 1st interview exclusive rights?) And he's not practiced in the types of interview questions sports reporters ask.  I mean really---the athlete is unlikely to be able to put what his/her win means to their country two seconds after they get the win. 

It looks like there are a bunch of mics set up over there. I'm not sure if NBC was the first or was just able to get him after their commercial break. Being live may have also helped too.

I agree that being overwhelmed probably makes it a lot harder to answer questions.

5 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I agree that being overwhelmed probably makes it a lot harder to answer questions.

And the mask factor too.  I find it harder to be understood in a mask.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Could be. Bad question overall, in any language.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 2

I may hate the way my local broadcaster gushes all over the swimming team every Olympics, creates reality tv type back stories for them and often at the detriment of other sports an Aussie athletes competing but I admit I still get nervous and excitement in a swimming final with an Aussie. 3 medals in the pool one of each colour, what an achievement. We can call the Olympics off now for Australia as that's all I ever hope for at a Summer Games. A medal of each colour haha.

And what an achievement from our women's 4x100m Relay team. Once it looked like we weren't gonna lose I started screaming at the screen to beat the WR line. And they did. What a swim from the 3rd leg. Apparently it was in the 51 seconds mark. And any other Aussies quietly whisper to themselves 'Don't jump in the pool, don't jump in the pool.'?

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

And the mask factor too.  I find it harder to be understood in a mask.

It must be hard to wear a mask after that exertion. I'd hate to have to wear one right after a workout.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Bill1978 said:

And what an achievement from our women's 4x100m Relay team. Once it looked like we weren't gonna lose I started screaming at the screen to beat the WR line. And they did. What a swim from the 3rd leg. Apparently it was in the 51 seconds mark. And any other Aussies quietly whisper to themselves 'Don't jump in the pool, don't jump in the pool.'?

Hello, old friend! Haven't seen you posting in ages! 😊

43 minutes ago, ferjy said:

It must be hard to wear a mask after that exertion. I'd hate to have to wear one right after a workout.

That poor kid was practically inhaling his mask during the interview. I'm sure that doesn't help when he's also freaking out with glee and being peppered with questions in a language that is not his first. But he did great, so cute!

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Somewhere an NBC exec is crying after they realized someone older than Phelps is still competing. 

Is now a good time to mention the hot Tongan flagbearer is older than Michael Phelps?

Also re the Water Polo blowouts: It's probably a quirk of the qualification system. After Atlanta's men's tournament had 11/12 teams be European, they changed the way qualifiers are determined so continents are guaranteed a team each (now the Pan-Am Games winners, Asian Games winners, European champions and "Oceanic qualifier" [ie Australia] qualify), with the rest being determined from other Europe-heavy events. This year, Africa was guaranteed a qualifier for the first time.

• Useful 1

Anyone getting a weird vibe from Chase? He looked doubled over in pain after the race, totally cold when seeing his family, and then really blah on the podium. I have a feeling he might be working through a really painful injury. Something definitely off about him -- he didn't seem gleeful at all at winning an OGM.

• Love 1

I didn’t notice anything at the ceremony but in the interview I thought he seemed kind of angry or annoyed. I wondered if it was because he own his first Olympic Gold with no family there and no spectators. I imagine a very different experience than what they had set themselves up for. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Daisy said:

China does her thing - and Canada wins silver (which is basically Gold for the rest of the field LOL) It's a silver lining day at the pool for Canada!

lol No one will ever beat China in that category. Watching them is sublime. They might as well save time and energy and just hand them the gold.  So Canada getting the silver was fantastic. Two medals, we’re a-climbing!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Anyone getting a weird vibe from Chase? He looked doubled over in pain after the race, totally cold when seeing his family, and then really blah on the podium. I have a feeling he might be working through a really painful injury. Something definitely off about him -- he didn't seem gleeful at all at winning an OGM.

The 400IM is brutal and he left so much in the pool he could barely crawl out of the water afterwards. And NBC (and Games organizers) has zero sympathy in giving athletes decent recovery time as long as they're still conscious because they want to stay on schedule. They did the same thing to Alex Walsh at Trials and I found myself yelling at the screen to just let the poor girl go vomit in peace rather than dragging her to interview right away. 

• Love 11