Type keyword(s) to search

Swimming, Diving, Water Polo - Live from the Aquatics Centre!

• Start Topic

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Well I'd say I'm Australian for this next race but then I'll curse them into not medaling LOL

I'm starting to think I'm no better. I flaked out on the couch, woke up in time to see Kylie heading for gold, then she got silver.  I should have stayed asleep. lol

Edited by ferjy
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

That kinda sums it up.  While I feel sorry for Michael that he was raised in such a vacuum, he comes across as a know-it-all who is so convinced of his own superiority that he will not even consider the possibility that other people's ideas might be valid.  'Often in error, never in doubt' describes him.  

Ha! I have never heard that phrase before, but I will use it for the rest of my life. Lol

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Pretty much went to form, Ledecky won the 800 and 1500, Titmus wins the 200 and 400. It's a push. Excellent meet for the Aussies, though.

Katie also said she's aiming for Paris, so the rivalry may go on for years.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Andrew qualified 5th for the splash and dash. So yeah, he can swim it, just not at the very top level. 

Somehow, after hearing about what a pompous, self-righteous jerk he is, I just can't bring myself to care, can you?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Somehow, after hearing about what a pompous, self-righteous jerk he is, I just can't bring myself to care, can you?

Nah, but there were questions about the free being a weak stroke, so I revisited that for the Canadians out there. 😀

After having just watched men and women competing directly against each other in the mixed medley relay, I do not want to hear another word about banning trans athletes because trans women would supposedly have an unfair advantage over cis women. Not. One. Word.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

After having just watched men and women competing directly against each other in the mixed medley relay, I do not want to hear another word about banning trans athletes because trans women would supposedly have an unfair advantage over cis women. Not. One. Word.

It's also sexist because I've never heard the same argument with regards to trans men.

Interesting race.  Feel like Great Britain is having a really good year.  Surprised US was off podium.

• Love 4

I don't fully comprehend what I just watched with the Mixed Relay but I fully approve of this event staying on the Olympic Swimming program.

After watching the Mixed Relay Triathlon this morning where the rules says the order must be FMFM it was incredible to see the swim order be up to the discretion of each country.  And watching countries leading by a mile be gobbled up in a later leg. Just an incredible race. I feel that might just be my favourite Australian bronze of these Olympics at the moment. Although the cycling bronze is still high since it's the only medal that we've got that doesn't involve water. haha

• Love 5
(edited)
24 minutes ago, twoods said:

I was wondering why Jacoby’s time was so slow (didn’t watch) then saw on Twitter she had a giggle problem. Poor thing.

A *goggle* problem, but I loved this typo because when we were kids on the local swim team my little sister lost most of her races because she giggled through her events. It was hilarious to watch her swim the butterfly! : )

I loved the mixed medley relay! It was so wild and unpredictable, even Rowdy was flummoxed. Can't wait to see it again!

Edited by Cherpumple
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
24 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Interesting race.  Feel like Great Britain is having a really good year.  Surprised US was off podium

Me too but I think it would have been a different story without the goggles issue for Jacoby. Not even the superhuman Caeleb Dressel could make up that much ground. But very happy the Aussies got up for the bronze and Britain won. When did the Poms get so good at swimming?

Edited by katisha
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, katisha said:

When did the Poms get so good at swimming?

I believe London 2012 was the start but happy to be proven wrong. I think they've jus discovered swimming cause I still find it fascinating they are strong in the triathlon. (Not sure why it fascinates me but it does)

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, katisha said:

Me too but I think it would have been a different story without the goggles issue for Jacoby.

Rowdy said it wouldn’t have mattered, she was maybe a half second off her winning 100 time, they were 1.5 seconds from bronze. Not sure if Torri Huske struggled or if in general, it was just not a good combo. I do feel the 2019 team and having Caleb swim the butterfly is better but maybe they just don’t have confidence in a female freestyler. I do love the relay and look forward to the track and field version, too. 

Are these a new type of goggles in general? I just feel like there’s been more goggle imprints around the eyes after swimming than I can ever remember seeing.  

• Love 3

Okay. Mixed Medley. HOLY CRAP that was... that was something LOL more please! (but man. Caleb Dressel was hunting down that British girl like a heat seeking missile)  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, kittykat said:

It's also sexist because I've never heard the same argument with regards to trans men.

In most sports, there's a huge performance disadvantage if the athlete doesn't go through conventional male cis puberty and the trans athlete isn't going to make it to the elite level in their correct male gender. Keelin Godsey held off on transitioning until after he made a good run at a spot on the US women's Olympic track team because he knew he'd never be able to 'catch up' with cis guys in his event. 

https://www.npr.org/2012/05/24/153589689/transgender-athlete-competes-for-olympic-spot

G Ryan, who identifies as non-bianry competed as female at the University of Michigan because that's where their swimming sports scholarship was and also delayed top surgery until after their swimming career was over. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This is tacky as hell, but I'm just going to say it. The underwater camera during the men's 100m butterfly was very interesting. I thought the men's swimsuits were so tight they literally sucked everything in, but Caeleb Dressel was quite....floppy in the crotch area on the underwater camera. The women's suits are so tight they completely mash their boobs flat and create back rolls at the edges so I expected the men's suits to hold everything in equally as tight.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

I believe London 2012 was the start but happy to be proven wrong. I think they've jus discovered swimming cause I still find it fascinating they are strong in the triathlon. (Not sure why it fascinates me but it does)

They were decent in 2012 but they are probably now starting to see the benefits from hosting the games, and having the funding from that into programmes. Canada's swimming started taking off because of the PamAm games (since now we have the national pool and everything now) not as great as America/Australia but... 

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Canada's swimming started taking off because of the PamAm games (since now we have the national pool and everything now) not as great as America/Australia but... 

No offence to the US folk on this forum but as an Aussie I am always happier to lose to Canada or the Brits than the Americans. Sorry... don't hate me lol

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, katisha said:

Me too but I think it would have been a different story without the goggles issue for Jacoby.

Jacoby was only 0.14 seconds slower than her winning time in the 100m breaststroke, so the goggles didn't really affect things that much.  Huske was 0.54 seconds slower than her time in the 100m butterfly final, but, again, that wouldn't have mattered.  (Those differences are a little deceptive because reaction times are faster in relays, but, still, it wouldn't have mattered.)  I think the US was hurt by kind of having to use Caeleb for freestyle and not butterfly because we didn't have a good female option for the free (Weitzel had just finished her 50m free semi, and I don't think Simone could swim it because she didn't make the 100m team and had also just finished her 50m free semi) and/or not having a good male option for the breaststroke (Michael Andrew had just swum in his 50m free semi) (and can't turn it around like Caeleb because his psycho father's training methods are stupid...I might be projecting a bit...) (and is a fuckface, but that's neither here nor there).  Britain killed it, though.  Excellent race by those swimmers.

Excellent 100m butterfly win for Caeleb, too, but his long strokes into both walls were giving me heart palpitations and nearly allowed Milák to catch him.  I knew my Olympics husband would hang on, though!❤️🥇

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, katisha said:

No offence to the US folk on this forum but as an Aussie I am always happier to lose to Canada or the Brits than the Americans. Sorry... don't hate me lol

Ha.  I think it might be true for many Americans too because of the long rivalry.

That mixed medley thing was amazing.  What I like about it is that it adds another angle to strategy.  Is it purely about shortest time or is it better to get way ahead to avoid contending with the waves? 

Fascinating.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Britain had a massive rethink of all Olympic sports after the 1996 Games, and decided that they needed to make things a lot more professional and competitive and to fund their programmes a lot better. Better facilities, better coaching, financial support for athletes etc.

Before that we were reliant on special athletes and one-off, dedicated competitors to win medals.

The swimming success in these games is twenty five years in the making, and certainly much greater than I expected it to be. I didn't know there were this many British swimmers ready to compete and win against the best. The hope is that it's self-perpetuating as more and more kids look at the likes of Adam Peaty and Duncan Scott and think 'I want to do that.'

But it's a ruthless process. Programmes have medal expectations set and, if they fall short, they risk losing their funding or even having their programme scrapped altogether.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Britain had a massive rethink of all Olympic sports after the 1996 Games, and decided that they needed to make things a lot more professional and competitive and to fund their programmes a lot better. Better facilities, better coaching, financial support for athletes etc.

Sounds a lot like what the Australian government did after the 'failure' of the national teams at Montreal '76 and created the Australian Institute of Sport. It's also interesting that the Australian Olympic Committee etc have also apparently decided for these Olympics not to predict a medal count for Australia as it added unnecessary pressure to the team. And I must say it seems to be working after the 'disappointment' of London '12 and Rio '16

• Love 4

I didn't stay up to watch the mixed relay (forgot about it).  I love the concept because for some of these swimmers, it probably brings back memories of their early years of summer swim when they first learned to love the sport.  Mixed relays in summer swim are great.  There is a different energy to those than to single gender events.  

• Love 1

It's a shame that diving is scheduled where I can't watch it live, but Jennifer Abel has been looking good for a second medal through the first two phases of the competition. After the disappointment in Rio, this would be a great result (particularly if this is her last Olympics).

(edited)
11 hours ago, Daisy said:

Okay. Mixed Medley. HOLY CRAP that was... that was something LOL more please! (but man. Caleb Dressel was hunting down that British girl like a heat seeking missile)  

I just realized this was an event and youtube it (it's on there). The NBC communicators I don't even know where to begin...

They really did say something about how Caleb can hunt down those girls as they are all going to group up... and they are doing the breast stroke... ah... sorry the Butterfly...

I get that it's a mixed event and they had to just talk but seriously watch what you say there. It can be mildly offensive. Anyhow, an interesting event and I thought Jacoby did good considering her goggles fell off.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mirabelle said:

I did appreciate one of the announcers saying not to go after Jacoby because the US was not in the hunt for a medal based on their times and the goggles didn't make a difference. 

Same. In Olympics past they’d have waited to say it after she got ripped apart so doing what they could to prevent it was great. I think it was successful at least based on my Twitter feed.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

But it's a ruthless process. Programmes have medal expectations set and, if they fall short, they risk losing their funding or even having their programme scrapped altogether.

This happens in Canada a lot.  - I mentioned it in the Rowing thread but basically, Rowing was our backbone for the Olympic medal count and in Rio all we got across ALL boating disciplines was 1 medal and people were pissed the heck off because they had gotten so much money from COC and Own the Podium (or whatever we're calling it now). Same thing happened with Skiing - they got all this money, back to back Olympics Canada just can't ski (unless there are moguls involved apparently)  (I would assume their funding got slashed).

I mean even though it's a financial sinkhole, I really wish Toronto had gotten the 96, 00, or 08 games (where we got caught up in that whole IOC side deal which ended up changing the process completely) I firmly feel had we won A Summer Olympics games, it would have done wonders for a lot of sporting federations for Summer Sport. (When your entire national identity is wrapped up in hockey all the other sports I feel tend to get shunted here outside of curling and speed skating (the 2nd still strong thanks to the Calgary games eons ago). the Pan Am Games helped a lot, (again in the pool especially). but Vancouver was truly a shot in the arm for winter athletics here (not named hockey), so it's just so sad Canada hasn't really gotten the same in terms of summer. 

thanks for coming to my Ted Talk lol 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Pamela Ware's failed dive was awful to watch :( 

I was just coming in here to mention her dive. I felt so bad for her. That had to have been humiliating for her to have just slipped and fallen off the springboard like that!

(edited)
41 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I was just coming in here to mention her dive. I felt so bad for her. That had to have been humiliating for her to have just slipped and fallen off the springboard like that!

she slipped?! :(

Oh i just saw it... holy cow. Byleth was just speechless.
It just looks like her toes were off the board... that's devastating. 

Edited by Daisy
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

she slipped?! :(

Oh i just saw it... holy cow. Byleth was just speechless.
It just looks like her toes were off the board... that's devastating. 

Oh no! 🙁 That's awful for her. And I wasn't even watching to curse her. Guess I'll go watch the replay.

Oh, Caeleb, that 50m free swim...

giphy.gif

I could not ask for a better Olympics husband.

Emma. McKeon.  She's a fucking BEAST!!  I'm so excited for the Aussie women!  Great for Sjöström and Blume, too.

Aw, Michael Andrew, did you finish fourth?  Again?

tenor.gif?itemid=14104923

• LOL 10
  • Love 1