Type keyword(s) to search

Swimming, Diving, Water Polo - Live from the Aquatics Centre!

• Start Topic

So my totally genuine in real life boyfriend Tom Daley wanted to bring something home from the Tokyo Olympics, so he decided to knit a cardigan!  He's been showing progress pics on his stories, but he just revealed the completed piece.

And, not for nothing, but take a gander at those quads!

Tom modeling his new jumper

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Sile said:

So my totally genuine in real life boyfriend Tom Daley wanted to bring something home from the Tokyo Olympics, so he decided to knit a cardigan!  He's been showing progress pics on his stories, but he just revealed the completed piece.

And, not for nothing, but take a gander at those quads!

Tom modeling his new jumper

Sorry, I'm currently knitting a Tom Daley-size cosy like his medal cosy so I can smuggle him home with me next time I make it to the UK.

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Quan Hongchan just decimated the record for the women's 10m platform.  Wow.

I am thrilled our Aussie Melissa Wu finally got her individual medal but Quan Hongchan... how does a 14-year-old kid get so good? Wow.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Sile said:

He knitted that in just a couple of days? Man, he's good!

6 hours ago, Leeds said:

Sorry, I'm currently knitting a Tom Daley-size cosy like his medal cosy so I can smuggle him home with me next time I make it to the UK.

I think his husband might have an issue with that! 😜

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I cannot stress enough how monumental Quan's achievement is.  It's almost/basically impossible to have one perfect dive at the Olympics, let alone two (and one measly 9.5 away from three...out of five total dives)!!  I took diving when I was a kid (I was terrible and gave it up after six months or so), and that is one of the most dominant Olympic performances of all time; it's basically what Usain Bolt did in Beijing in both the 100m and 200m.  What an absolute thrill to watch her dive!

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Tower diving is too damn stressful, I keep worrying they are going to hit their heads! 

Keep your eyes on the teeny tiny swimming trunks. Chills me right out. 😁

• LOL 6

Looks like Tom Daley might have ended his Olympic career with another medal - bronze in the 10m individual dive. Although he'll only be thirty when Paris comes around, so maybe he'll fancy going one more time. I can't imagine many divers go to five Olympic Games.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Looks like Tom Daley might have ended his Olympic career with another medal - bronze in the 10m individual dive. Although he'll only be thirty when Paris comes around, so maybe he'll fancy going one more time. I can't imagine many divers go to five Olympic Games.

That will teach me to pay closer attention to the spoilers. I swear, I had read that he took gold, not bronze!

Edited by legaleagle53
7 hours ago, katisha said:
16 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Tower diving is too damn stressful, I keep worrying they are going to hit their heads! 

Me too, because many years ago in Australia, someone did. 😔

And Meade isn't the only one.🥺

2 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Was it me or the second place finisher seem a bit peeved.

He definitely was, although he seemed happy during the medal ceremony.  The pressure on Chinese athletes in certain disciplines (like diving) is enormous, and I think Yang was the one who was "supposed" to win: he had the crazily difficult dives, and he performed the highest-scoring Olympic dive ever as his final dive.  And he still came up just shy of gold by not even two points.  Cao was just a teeny smidge better overall and absolutely nailed that final dive when he absolutely needed to.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Diving final was great.  Well, the top three plus the two Americans, nobody else exists apparently according to NBC.  Is Tom Daley NBC’s favourite non-American?  They actually interviewed him, I’m sure that hasn’t happened often with non-Americans on NBC.

The female commentator (Cynthia Potter) is obviously completely besotted with him.  Throughout these three sessions she gushed repeatedly about him.  I lost track of how many times she mentioned Daley’s husband and kid. I don’t think I’ve heard “Calgary” mentioned on TV so many times since the 88 Olympics 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Is Tom Daley NBC’s favourite non-American?  They actually interviewed him, I’m sure that hasn’t happened often with non-Americans on NBC

They interviewed non-Americans in swimming too.  But Daly is a bit more known than most other athletes.

8 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

And Meade isn't the only one.🥺

He definitely was, although he seemed happy during the medal ceremony.  The pressure on Chinese athletes in certain disciplines (like diving) is enormous, and I think Yang was the one who was "supposed" to win: he had the crazily difficult dives, and he performed the highest-scoring Olympic dive ever as his final dive.  And he still came up just shy of gold by not even two points.  Cao was just a teeny smidge better overall and absolutely nailed that final dive when he absolutely needed to.

I felt so bad for Yang because Cao had already won a Gold 4 years ago and Yang really deserved the Gold what with that 112 point round.  Wow!  But both men were superb.

Quick question and not sure if anybody would have the answer but were the commentators covering the artistic swimming told not to mention the C word when telling the TV audience that Greece had to pull out of the Team Event? Here in Australia the coverage just said 'Unfortunately Greece are unable to participate in the event, anyway here is the next team' I had to use Google to find out why Greece were a DNS.

11 hours ago, blackwing said:

Diving final was great.  Well, the top three plus the two Americans, nobody else exists apparently according to NBC.  Is Tom Daley NBC’s favourite non-American?  They actually interviewed him, I’m sure that hasn’t happened often with non-Americans on NBC.

I had the same reaction, I was like wow they are going to interview him despite him not being american, which was nice to see. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, blueray said:

3 hours ago, blueray said:

I had the same reaction, I was like wow they are going to interview him despite him not being american, which was nice to see. 

It's because he's one of the few athletes to break the stranglehold that the Chinese have had on this sport for decades. Once the Americans fail to medal, the attitude switches to "Anybody but China," so we adopt someone like Tom as an American surrogate. The same thing happened with Australia's Matthew Mitcham in 2008.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

It's because he's one of the few athletes to break the stranglehold that the Chinese have had on this sport for decades. Once the Americans fail to medal, the attitude switches to "Anybody but China," so we adopt someone like Tom as an American surrogate. The same thing happened with Australia's Matthew Mitcham in 2008.

I loved Matthew Mitchum as a teenager! I have not heard that name in forever.

• Love 1
On 8/7/2021 at 11:09 AM, Conotocarious said:

Was it me or the second place finisher seem a bit peeved.

I didn't notice, but he did have an absolutely amazing last dive, with a huge score, and still came in second, so I think maybe he had a right to be a little peeved.

On 8/7/2021 at 10:06 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

Tom Daley is a beautiful man. His eyes.

Yeah, his eyes are what I was looking at, sure.  ;-)  Seriously though, he does have lovely eyes.

• LOL 1