Type keyword(s) to search

Swimming, Diving, Water Polo - Live from the Aquatics Centre!

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And Michael Andrew finishes well off the podium in what's supposed to be his "specialty." Thoughts and prayers for him will be greatly appreciated at this difficult time.

Isn't he in that final relay with Dressel? He might still leave Tokyo with a medal. :(

Go Bobby Finke. I still say the last lap of the 800 he swam is the best thing I've seen all Olympics. I hope more people pay attention to what he's done, and he gets some more press or sponsorship deals, because this dude deserves it.  Did they say that the other competitors didn't know anything about him, because this is his first international competition? If so, wow again.

It also gives me great joy that he is the polar opposite of a certain other American swimmer, and turns on the jets in the end to have a spectacular win, instead of having a sad epic failure in the final lap/last part of the race and find yourself off the podium. 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

Isn't he in that final relay with Dressel? He might still leave Tokyo with a medal. :(

Honestly with the way he's been swimming I'm legit worried that this might be the first time we (the US) lose the Men's Medley. At least he'd be in the middle rather than at the end.

10 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Holy shit I bet you the Finke strategy of sprinting at the last 50 m will now be copied by everyone.

It's probably easier said than done. And it really only worked because he was so close.  In fact, considering how long that race is, it's amazing that it came down to a spring.

And I'm here for it!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Honestly with the way he's been swimming I'm legit worried that this might be the first time we (the US) lose the Men's Medley. At least he'd be in the middle rather than at the end.

Seriously can they just trade him?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
Just now, Chaser said:

Seriously can they just trade him?

Maybe, I don't remember what the medley rules are. I know they typically have the swimmers with the best times do the finals and others do the prelims (which is how Phelps got his 2004 Medley gold since he swam the prelims and gave his spot to Crocker for the final) but I don't know if the same applies to the medley and, if so, if they can take him out or not since he qualified even while missing the podium.

I keep watching the end of the 800. I can’t believe how much distance he put between the field at the end. That wasn’t even close. 

Reminds me of Ledecky’s first Olympic 800. The surprise of it. 

• Love 1

We lost that women's medley relay because both Jacoby and Weitzel had really slow reaction times during the exchanges.  I said as much to my TV, and, especially with Weitzel, was like, "You can't do that against Cate Campbell, Abby; she'll beat you."  Amazing race, though!

• Love 6

Why can't NBC stay with the 1500 through the entire race?  It's 15 damned minutes!  They cut away for commercial twice!  TWICE!

I know we could still see the race but it still really frosted my cookies.

12 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Maybe, I don't remember what the medley rules are. I know they typically have the swimmers with the best times do the finals and others do the prelims (which is how Phelps got his 2004 Medley gold since he swam the prelims and gave his spot to Crocker for the final) but I don't know if the same applies to the medley and, if so, if they can take him out or not since he qualified even while missing the podium.

There are two types of swimmers invited to the meet by FINA- those who qualify for an individual event and who are entered in said individual event by their federations and 'relay-only' swimmers. FINA says that if you bring a relay-only swimmer, you must give them an Olympic swim at some point (see the Aussies essentially having to use Leah Neale in the 4x200 finals in order to give her the required swim at the meet)

But other than the relay-only swimmer restriction, there are no Olympic/FINA restrictions on how a country composes their relay squad and the official USA Swimming policy is that any given swimmer who qualified in an individual event may be offered a spot on any relay squad. The any given swimmer rule for US relays was most commonly invoked for Natalie Coughlin, who was #1 or #2 American in the 200 free but never swam that race at selection meet because it would conflict with the 100 back. So it was known that she'd always effectively time trial her way onto a finals swim in the 4x200 FR at some point at training camp. 

USA medley relay tradition is that the fastest swimmers in the 100 individual events get offered the final 4x100MR spots with some obvious tweaking if a Dressel or Coughlin or Phelps had been fastest in the 100 in multiple strokes, but that's tradition and not a written policy that it was how USA Swimmiing must do it. 

1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

They always sound so sinister. I love them

Right? like. 
Take your Mark
Vs 
I will take your children.

same thing lol

Congrats Americans for keeping your dominance 

Great job, US Men!  The streak continues.  And a world record, too!

I'm happy that Andrew's only medal came from a team win.  I hope that helps pry him away from his creepy family and start getting some decent coaching.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Right? like. 
Take your Mark
Vs 
I will take your children.

same thing lol

Yep, their day jobs are probably making threatening phone calls for the mafia.

5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Congrats Americans for keeping your dominance

I legit thought "thank you" when I read this. ::facepalm:: I get too invested in this stuff (and I'm not going to change even a little).

• LOL 3

I'm genuinely surprised we won the men's medley because I really thought Britain would win, and I'm feeling conflicted about it because Michael Andrew is now an OGM, which makes me want to eject the contents of my stomach a bit.  However, my husband got a fifth gold (which is the MOST important thing), and yay for keeping the streak alive and go USA, I guess.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

Great job, US Men!  The streak continues.  And a world record, too!

I'm happy that Andrew's only medal came from a team win.  I hope that helps pry him away from his creepy family and start getting some decent coaching.  

And even if he doesn't find success on an individual level there have been plenty of swimmers over the years who have been crucial parts of relay teams (Cullen Jones and Garrett Weber-Gale in the 4x100 free relay in 2008 for example) so he can always make his mark that way. He just needs to learn a little thing called pacing.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

They always sound so sinister. I love them

There's probably a specific way of saying it that's supposed to be used at international events to make it really easy for non-English speakers to quickly identify the starter's commands. 

• Love 2

I was legit worried when Dressel finished cause I didn’t think the lead was enough. As Apple is swimming the first 50, I was thinking that at least we’d get a medal. But a freakin’ WR???  Never saw that coming!!!  (Disappointing QAnon boy gets one too, but I guess they needed someone to do the breaststroke. )

• Love 1

Dressel gets so emotional. It’s sweet. 

I’m excited for the American women in 2024. Lots of potential in these up and comers.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Yep, their day jobs are probably making threatening phone calls for the mafia.

I legit thought "thank you" when I read this. ::facepalm:: I get too invested in this stuff (and I'm not going to change even a little).

hahah but that's part of the fun I think :) 
Y'all can have the swimming.
Just remember I gave you this when it comes to Hockey and we kick your hineys kthnxbye

• LOL 2
3 minutes ago, selkie said:

There's probably a specific way of saying it that's supposed to be used at international events to make it really easy for non-English speakers to quickly identify the starter's commands. 

Yep it's the Boring Baritone of the racing world.

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Just remember I gave you this when it comes to Hockey and we kick your hineys kthnxbye

I don't really get invested in hockey cause I go all in on figure skating with the accompanying drama so that's all yours. Doesn't mean I won't go apeshit should we win gold but I won't be stressing about it.

2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Yep it's the Boring Baritone of the racing world.

I don't really get invested in hockey cause I go all in on figure skating with the accompanying drama so that's all yours. Doesn't mean I won't go apeshit should we win gold but I won't be stressing about it.

LOL i was just being tongue in cheek.  :)
I lurve the figure skating drahmah

• Love 1

Peaty's dominance in the breaststroke is such a weapon in the medley relays. Biggest reason they won the mixed medley, and almost enough to help Britain topple the US dynasty in the mens.

• Love 2

I felt bad for the American women because I think they knew it wasn't the down to their swimming splits but how they were off the blocks.  And even though it's part of the race, I imagine that hurts more than being outswam. 

It's amazing what the men's team put together considering they barely made it into the final. 

Hooray for the US men.  Great day to close out swimming.  I'm glad there was some great challenges there with Great Britain, Australia, China, Canada and Japan.  To the Canadian posters sorry there were so many 4ths but theres some great talent that could see the podium in Paris.