Type keyword(s) to search

Kody Brown: Part-Time Father, Full-Time Asshat

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Doofus and Sobbyn are to blame if Sobbyn's three oldest don't "fit in," IMO.  They are coddled and Sobbyn wouldn't let her "sister wives" take care of them, hence the nanny she has always had, other than when Mykelti and Aspyn filled in.

It still amazes me how Kody treats Robyn's eldest three so differently from his other kids.

He considers all his kids to be adults as of 18 and expects them to move out to start building a life of their own, but not Dayton, Aurora, and Breanna? I'm pretty sure Robyn has a lot to say about it, but Kody's U-turn when it comes to raising kids is quite remarkable. Also, being the egocentric douche he is, you'd think he'd be happy to get rid of three so he could have Robyn more to himself again? 

The only reason I can come up with, is that Robyn is in full control. But doesn't that match with Kody's bossy, patriarchal character?

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

It still amazes me how Kody treats Robyn's eldest three so differently from his other kids.

He considers all his kids to be adults as of 18 and expects them to move out to start building a life of their own, but not Dayton, Aurora, and Breanna? I'm pretty sure Robyn has a lot to say about it, but Kody's U-turn when it comes to raising kids is quite remarkable. Also, being the egocentric douche he is, you'd think he'd be happy to get rid of three so he could have Robyn more to himself again? 

The only reason I can come up with, is that Robyn is in full control. But doesn't that match with Kody's bossy, patriarchal character?

Maybe he really "loves" Robyn- whatever that means to him and she is in the drivers seat. So he doesn't want to cross her - too much risk. He never really loved the other ones. New and confusing feelings maybe 

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1

He considers all his kids to be adults as of 18 and expects them to move out to start building a life of their own, but not Dayton, Aurora, and Breanna?

I know that he told Janelle that Garrison and Gabriel needed to be out, but does he also consider that the girls need to be out at age 18? Or is that boys only?

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I know that he told Janelle that Garrison and Gabriel needed to be out, but does he also consider that the girls need to be out at age 18? Or is that boys only?

I thought the only one forced to live on their own was Mykelti. I got the impression if the kids were going to school or working they could live at home no problem and the only reason he wanted Janelle to kick G&G out was because of covid.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
22 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Maybe he really "loves" Robyn- whatever that means to him and she is in the drivers seat. So he doesn't want to cross her - too much risk. He never really loved the other ones. New and confusing feelings maybe 

Agreed! I remember when he and Robyn had that one convo on their patio (something regarding him laying down the rules with the others but for him to make sure it didn't seem to come from her). He was so deferential, soft spoken, completely focused on her without distraction or interruption and really took on what she was directing. It was surprising in comparison to how he's always interacted with the 3 OG wives. 

I think he finally got the kingdom he always wanted with her and her/their kids but is too dumb to realize he's the monkey dancing to her organ grinding. I'm really curious if it will last now they will no longer have the 3 others as common enemies.

• Like 17
  • Useful 1
On 2/24/2023 at 6:53 PM, lookeyloo said:

He definitely has a different relationship with Robyn and her/their kids than with his other wives.  Even in the beginning it was obvious but maybe expected as being a new love?  

I've always wondered about when Meri came forward re divorcing Kody so he could adopt Robyn's kids... whose idea that really was. Although it could have been Meri as she too was very attached to Robyn right away but probably because she finally had her own sister wife and wanted to please her and show her how much she cared.

Things def changed after Robyn came on board, I think,  and long before Covid 19. I bet Covid was an excuse for Kody to spend basically all his time with Robyn.

Not sure if Kody just really fell for Robyn or because she treated him differently ie was more obedient, respectful or something.  I always get the impression that she is needy and probably relies on Kody whereas his other wives have been more independent as far as managing their households, raising their kids etc.  Kody could interpret need as devotion to him and that alone would be very fulfilling for his grandiose ego.

Edited by endure
  • Like 13
  • Applause 1
On 2/25/2023 at 8:55 PM, WhatAmIWatching said:

Agreed! I remember when he and Robyn had that one convo on their patio (something regarding him laying down the rules with the others but for him to make sure it didn't seem to come from her). He was so deferential, soft spoken, completely focused on her without distraction or interruption and really took on what she was directing. It was surprising in comparison to how he's always interacted with the 3 OG wives. 

I think he finally got the kingdom he always wanted with her and her/their kids but is too dumb to realize he's the monkey dancing to her organ grinding. I'm really curious if it will last now they will no longer have the 3 others as common enemies.

This. He’s always looked at Robyn differently, you could tell he was truly smitten with her. She was everything the other wives weren’t — bubbly, pretty, active, more alluring. Robyn was FUN. And now, even though Robyn herself has morphed into the the other wives have become — tired, heavy, less energetic — he still appears to love her.

I’m also curious about how this will play out. Robyn no longer has 3 other women to humble-gloat over. How will her personality change? The other 3 were a large part of the formula. Will Kody and Robyn survive, or will the loss of the other wives — and their incomes — ruin them? 

• Like 16
  • Applause 4
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

This. He’s always looked at Robyn differently, you could tell he was truly smitten with her. She was everything the other wives weren’t — bubbly, pretty, active, more alluring. Robyn was FUN. And now, even though Robyn herself has morphed into the the other wives have become — tired, heavy, less energetic — he still appears to love her.

I’m also curious about how this will play out. Robyn no longer has 3 other women to humble-gloat over. How will her personality change? The other 3 were a large part of the formula. Will Kody and Robyn survive, or will the loss of the other wives — and their incomes — ruin them? 

I think he also grooved on her being his mouthpiece. The OG's (after 20+ years) started either yes dear-ing him or blowing him off and once she started acting as the Kody whisperer and communicating *for* him the others couldn't ignore or push back as easily or it would be a whole thing with dry crying and eye boogers.

In recent examples, I noticed on their 4-way covid zoom that he would start to say something and wait for Robyn to rescue and explain what he meant. She also did it at the backyard chat when Janelle was pushing back about the holiday plans and Kody's dramatics. 

I loooooved the part during the Tell Nothing when Janelle rolled her eyes and finally spoke up about her irritation regarding Robyn's lectures and her habit of speaking for Kody.

He seemed really resentful that the others are out traveling, having fun and visiting family while he is stuck at the manse with her and the Flowers in the Attic kids. I'm curious if he'll start resenting her for holding him back and keeping him rooted in one place. Neither of them look happy any more.

• Like 18
  • LOL 6

To be honest, I think if any of the OG3 were Kody's 4th wife we might be seeing the same thing - well maybe not if Janelle was #4. But definitely if Meri or Christine was.

Robyn fell into the sweet spot, a new relationship after 10 years. Both Meri and Christine have the ability to out manipulate their sister wives too. What Robyn had going for her was Kody. So I think it was less about who Robyn is and more about the timing.

• Like 14

My two cents- I think Kody and Robyn are two peas in a pod, and they fell for each other. Kody does not have the ENERGY he had 30yrs ago to deal with the relationships with the OG wives, he barely has any energy to deal with Robyn although I think he is in love with her. Covid put stress on a lot of families in different ways, but it was the perfect storm to use as a scape goat for cutting ties with people you didnt care that much about anyway. I am sure we have seen in our own lives, during the pandemic social expectations changed, extended social networks changed, and people we did care for (and that cared for us) are still around, but there is less need to "make nice".

Robyn isn't as brilliant as she thinks, because if she had any sense she would've tried to keep up a good relationship with the OG wives for the financial benefit (the show) and someone to take Kody off her hands. 

The divorce from Meri started a snowball effect regarding fractures in the family, things were always going to change as the bulk of the kids grew up and moved out (Meri talked about how she felt as Leon was growing up), also think even though Kody is tired AF, he also never though they would leave. NEVER occurred to him that Christine would up and LEAVE HIM (Janelle leaving probably doesnt surprise him that much), thats why he is so angry, not because he loved Christine, but how dare she not want him.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
On 2/27/2023 at 6:46 AM, WhatAmIWatching said:

He seemed really resentful that the others are out traveling, having fun and visiting family while he is stuck at the manse with her and the Flowers in the Attic kids

*dead*

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 16

Kody never wanted any of his kids out at 18. That was Christine who thought they should be out on their own. Kody insisted Janelle have the 5th bedroom in Vegas for Logan even though he was already at college. In a talk early in in the show about sex before marriage Kody said ideally, he wanted his kids at home till they got married.

He only wanted Garrison out and Gabe because they weren't following his covid rules. And Garrison was already in his early 20s.

I think Robyn and her kids were Kodys do-over. He had learned from a lot of the mistakes he made with the OG 3 plus they had money now so things were gonna be different anyway.

Not rooting for Kody but polygamy sucks for the men as well as the women. I think he tried to make it work but it's impossible to meet the needs of 3 women and 12/13 kids. Even harder to meet the needs of 4 women and even more kids so being an immature manchild with a new wife and kids that worshipped him instead of making him feel like he was failing, he chose to be the best husband and Dad to them. 

I dislike the man but he had a choice between having 4 wives and 18 kids he was letting down and having crappy relationships with or having 1 good marriage and being a great Dad to a few.

There was nothing special about Robyn and her kids other than they made him feel like he was doing a great job. 

• Like 20
  • Useful 3

@BoogieWonderland you have an interesting take and I agree with a lot of your points. Mostly in reference to Kody being driven by Kody’s ego- I’m sure we’ve seen other instances where parents cut off kids they were crappy to (either due to absence, addiction etc), yet when they got their shit together they were good parents to kids that came later. Many people don’t want to be reminded of their failures or shortcomings. 

• Like 12
5 hours ago, BoogieWonderland said:

I dislike the man but he had a choice between having 4 wives and 18 kids he was letting down and having crappy relationships with or having 1 good marriage and being a great Dad to a few.

Interesting point, but once Robyn came into the picture, was Kody even trying anymore with his wives and kids?  We only saw a tiny bit of Brown life pre-Robyn on the show.  I wouldn't say they seemed overly happy - I think they were performing for the new cameras, since now we know all about the contentious relationship between Meri and Janelle that Christine was supposed to magically "fix," and lots of other stuff we didn't know in the beginning.

Once Robyn came along, to me it seemed like Kody sacrificed his prior relationships for her and completely prioritized her kids.  He did have a choice to NOT do that.  His wives may have semi-understood what was going on but his kids, especially his younger kids, surely did not bargain for Dad being mostly absent.  For Kody to pound his chest and demand that everyone follow him as leader of the family, he needed to make sure he was there for everyone.  Impossible?  Maybe.  But I think he gave up trying once he met Robyn.  Once his kids started pulling away, he just sat on the interview couch and whined that he didn't understand why this was happening to HIM.  And now we're starting to hear from his older kids who have stated that he really wasn't a part of their lives.  That's on Kody, period - IMO.  He had a choice to be a good dad to all of his kids or just five - and he chose the five while the others stood there watching.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 17
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

But when those shortcomings are human children who need a father, that’s where the problem lies. No kody isn’t the first man to have a failed marriage and when things get hard, blame everyone else then run away and start over with a new family. What makes it worse in this situation is he ran from 3 families who he vilified while those children had to watch him dote on kids that weren’t even his plus two new babies.

As for Robin and her kids just being compliant and the favoritism not being their fault, I call bullshit. Yeah they were sniveling, simpering compliant, but she was also sneaking around undermining the other wives from the courtship days. Demanded equal time before marriage, admitted to being physical before marriage, then was constantly eroding the other women’s time until they were like here take him, he wants you anyway. She was not an innocent Snow White who just so happened to be perfect so everyone hates her. She’s a Stealth Bitch and I will laugh when this all implodes on her. 

I agree with you. For the record I think Kody has been awful, and cutting off your own children because you’re a punk who doesn’t want to face your short comings is 100% your fault, not the fault of the children (adult or minor) who didn’t ask to be here or have you as a parent. 

Im saying I’m not surprised by any of Kody’s behavior. We can all acknowledge that this type of behavior is awful, but not atypical at all. 

I also agree that Kody and Robyn are two peas in a pod. Her kids didn’t have anything to do with these choices, (and I don’t know enough about them to say how they treat the other Brown kids in general), but ROBYN only cares about herself and her progeny. The OG kids and wives be damned, unless they are providing her friendship (Mykelti) or a plot line for the show. 

• Like 14
  • Love 1

Kody had more going for him than the average deadbeat dads. He had resources, he had finances, he had wives who already did the bulk of the care, 1/3 of his kids were grown, and... he was on freaking TV, with all the eyes a watching.

IMO, it takes a little extra assholeness to have all that and still make poor choices.

• Like 19
  • Applause 4
On 2/27/2023 at 4:11 PM, GeeGolly said:

To be honest, I think if any of the OG3 were Kody's 4th wife we might be seeing the same thing - well maybe not if Janelle was #4. But definitely if Meri or Christine was. Robyn fell into the sweet spot, a new relationship after 10 years.

Good point! And from the book it also becomes painfully obvious that Janelle, Christine, Meri and Kody had all been all struggling with their marriages before Robyn came onto the scene. Robyn was a welcome distraction to Kody and I am sure she provided him with a safe haven and relaxing time away from the big house and all its negativity back then.

• Like 12

Kootie was gonna be bad ay polygamy with that many children and not enough to save for the life milestones.  College.  Weddings etc.  but Robyn got her big wedding!  He has not thought anything out 

• Like 8
5 hours ago, dariafan said:

Kootie was gonna be bad ay polygamy with that many children and not enough to save for the life milestones.  College.  Weddings etc.  but Robyn got her big wedding!  He has not thought anything out 

I suspect that Kody thought he made it by landing the show. It would provide all the money needed for such things.  It's easy to get stary eyed with large amounts of money when you are used to only have a little money or barely getting by, but then you go overboard with spending and that money just disappears.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

About Gwen's new confessional: It's probably all true. I tend to believe it anyways. It's what we suspected after all, but it certainly feels as if she is trying to settle some scores now.

But I do struggle with this statement: They're not gonna be salty or petty and try to take money from him even though they totally deserve it because he's been spending all of their money on whatever.'

It does show an immature or very ignorant side of Gwen;  she obviously has no clue how much money Janelle has lost to that Douchebag and what it means for her future. The inheritance alone was close to half a million dollars and Douche has blown her retirement funds. Trying to get some of that back is not about being petty or salty, particularly when he 'comfortably' lives in a big house with another wife. That money would have helped her a lot in her retirement. She seems to be earning a pretty decent amount now with shilling that horrible Plex-ass, but she had to start from scratch financially in her early fifties, which is late for a comfortable and early retirement. 

Edited by LilyD
clarified some bits
  • Like 13
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, LilyD said:

About Gwen's new confessional: Most is probably true. It's what we suspected after all, but it certainly feels as if she is trying to settle some scores now.

But I do struggle with this statement: They're not gonna be salty or petty and try to take money from him even though they totally deserve it because he's been spending all of their money on whatever.'

She may be absolutely right, but it does show an immature or very ignorant side of Gwen;  she obviously has no clue how much money Janelle has lost to that Douchebag and what it means for her future. The inheritance alone was close to half a million dollar and Douche has blown her retirment funds. Trying to get some of that back is not about being petty or salty, particularly when he 'comfortably' lives in a big house with another wife. That money would have helped her a lot in her retirment. She seems to be earning a pretty decent amount now with shilling that horrible Plex-ass, but she had to start from scratch financially in her early fifties, which is late for a comfortable and early retirement. 

I think Janelle showed as much salty-ness as she is going to when she pointed out that the family money went to Christine for housing. Then lots more family money went to Robyn for housing. Oddly she never mentioned Meri, I suspect Meri is holding herself up with her LLR hustle.

Then making a point to say the same amount of money was in the family account as when they all gave for Robyn's house but Kody flat out balked at putting money or TIME into Janelle's housing.

Interesting,  because an outsider can see that Kody is underhandedly punishing Janelle for all the Covid and lack of "obeying" him. She needs him to move forward with building and he just doesn't seem to care about that any more.

I don't think that Gwen has enough life under her belt to know what it feels like to go above and beyond for someone and be slapped back. As you listed, Janelle has given and given and given and she is now being set aside in true older polygamous woman fashion.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Roslyn said:

It's easy to get stary eyed with large amounts of money when you are used to only have a little money or barely getting by, but then you go overboard with spending and that money just disappears.

And I honestly think he believes his life is SO fascinating that the show would match MASH for the number of episodes. Narcissistic jerk.

• Like 2
  • LOL 10

Well, according to the posts above, SW is going for an 18th season.  What will we see?  Janelle running off, Christine getting a NICE boyfriend, Meri and her fabulous Bed & Breakfast AND... Douchie & Sobbyn.

Really?  Think I'd rather watch paint dry.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

Christine sold her Flagstaff house in October 2021. I don’t think the most recent season made it to Thanksgiving of that year, did it?

It will be a while before we see anything that would be considered current right now,  unless a whole lot gets skipped over.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, dariafan said:

At least Maddie, Mykelti and Aspyn got weddings out of it. And all the OG kids went to college while the gravy train was rolling.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Gwen’s statement about the OG wives not wanting to be petty about money doesn’t sound logical. There is something we’re not being told. Either Gwen is avoiding saying that Kody straight up helped himself to the communal pot or that Kody invested the money unwisely or that for some reason the OG wives had no hope of access because of Kody’s financial abuse. Gwen is glossing over what happened there way too glibly. Kody taking advantage in this way is particularly egregious when we consider that Kody and Robyn have been able to combine their TLC incomes, yet still preyed on the single wives’ (oxymoron, I know) TLC incomes.  
There has to be something else at play here. I do believe Kody was financially abusive, but I also believe these marriages ended long ago leaving the OG wives free to move their money. So why didn’t they?
Janelle, it seems, was monitoring the family account but only found out at tax time what was happening with their collective money.
Gwen’s explanation about the wives being above pettiness makes me believe Gwen knows exactly what happened and is not allowed to say it, but can’t ignore the questions that keep arising. I also think Gwen and the other Brown children who are reporting on the family are sticking to the narrative that these marriages recently imploded. And if the marriages indeed ended longer ago than an audience would find comfortable, this would hamstring the flow of information and cause all the inconsistencies and contradictions in the Brown kiddo’s stories.

Edited by Just Wondering
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, goofygirl said:

Well, according to the posts above, SW is going for an 18th season.  What will we see?  Janelle running off, Christine getting a NICE boyfriend, Meri and her fabulous Bed & Breakfast AND... Douchie & Sobbyn.

Really?  Think I'd rather watch paint dry.

I’m down for an 18th season of Kody and Robyn being left high and dry. There are already rumours swirling that Kody is frustrated with Robyn and that there’s tension between them now that the other wives have gone. It’s been rumoured that Kody blames Robyn and Robyn alone for the other wives (sources of income) leaving. Kody appears haggard and stressed in recent photos, as does Robyn. They no longer have the other wives’ money to rely on and they appear miserable. 

I’m definitely in for at least one season of that. After that, they can fade away as they sell their mansion and wind up in Janelle’s trailer on Plague Pass. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I also want to watch Kody slowly realize that his first three wives are happier , calmer and financially better off without him.

He believed he was the most important person in all of his relationships and held all the power. Being  proved wrong and not receiving pleas to come back will be fun to watch.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, Shelbie said:

I also want to watch Kody slowly realize that his first three wives are happier , calmer and financially better off without him.

He believed he was the most important person in all of his relationships and held all the power. Being  proved wrong and not receiving pleas to come back will be fun to watch.

I want to see K and R's beady little eyes darting left and right like rats caught in a financial trap. 

They seem to have a plan though, maybe by transferring all their assets (ill gotten gains) to this DABSKAR corporation they formed, it may shield them from those wives that invested in Coyote Pass and their home and adjoining lot???

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Gwen’s statement about the OG wives not wanting to be petty about money doesn’t sound logical. There is something we’re not being told. Either Gwen is avoiding saying that Kody straight up helped himself to the communal pot or that Kody invested the money unwisely or that for some reason the OG wives had no hope of access because of Kody’s financial abuse. 

Or, all 5 Brown adults spent every penny as it was coming in, so there's not much left. Big houses, nice cars, all those trips Christine and Janelle took during the pandemic. Plus everyday expenses for 18 kids. The only one who tried to save on housing costs in Flagstaff was Janelle. The other 4 rented or bought huge houses they didn't need. Kody is an ass, but all 5 of them appear to be incredibly bad with money.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
On 1/29/2023 at 2:47 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

I don't know if this is relevant, but early in the series, before Snowflake when to Westminster, they chatted with Kody about going to West Point then becoming a doctor. Kody didn't pushback at all, only saying that they needed the rigor of public school over the church school, to get in. 

I think Kody would support any of the kids going in as officers only. When Garrison joined the national guard his big concern was that Garrison could be deployed and see action. I think Kody would support the academies or ROTC for all of the kids. (Remember, the only things he is afraid of are poverty and student loans)

Right now there are 4 that seem to have opted out, or slowed down college: Paedon, Garrison, Mykelti and Maddie.

Logan: UNLV BS & MBA Community development manager likely making $100K+

Leon: Westminster BA, MS. Writer, and pretentious twit, sponging their way through life

Aspen: UNLV BA, store manager Kendra Scott likely making $65-80K

Maddie: Slow progress towards BA, pregnant with 3rd child, husband has a union job working on elevators, and she supplements with MLMs

Hunter: AF Academy & JHU, BS & MS, likely making $100K+

Mykelti: dropped out of UNLV, Lularags--seems to be doing well. Now selling the pink drink too

Dayton: Student @ NAU

Paedon: National Guard, and strip club bouncer

Garrison: National Guard and construction

Gwen: Student at NAU

Ysabel: Student at Utah State

Gabe: Student at NAU

Aurora: Student at NAU

Breanna and Savannah, graduating and expected to go to college

Truely, Sol and and Ari: Public School

Less than 2/3s of high school graduates go to college, so the Browns are slightly above average. I am very hopeful that the younger girls will chase great education. Their formative years were in Las Vegas and Flagstaff, so the scent of polygamy is probably very faint.

Nope. No way Hunter is making $100K. As a 1st Lt, he'd be making half that. But he has earned my respect, unlike the majority of Kody's get.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Not Buyin It said:

Nope. No way Hunter is making $100K. As a 1st Lt, he'd be making half that. But he has earned my respect, unlike the majority of Kody's get.

Hunter is a nurse with a master’s degree from Johns Hopkins. I’d say it’s very likely.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
On 2/25/2023 at 8:55 PM, WhatAmIWatching said:

The term "organ grinding" when mentioned in a discussion of Kody & Co I find...disturbing.

• LOL 5

Military pay is based on rank and time in service not on degrees although someone coming into the military later in life with experience may begin at a higher level.  An experienced doctor might be a colonel for instance.  

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Hunter is a nurse with a master’s degree from Johns Hopkins. I’d say it’s very likely.

Nope. Spent my entire career in nursing. Unless he's a CEO at some small hospital, he's making $70K tops.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Nope. Spent my entire career in nursing. Unless he's a CEO at some small hospital, he's making $70K tops.

Where does he live? Salaries vary tremendously depending on geography. Nurses in my area (expensive, close in suburb to a major city) can top 100k and travel nurses are making even more than that. 

I do think the military is a factor though. Those salaries run low and there is no getting around the salary and career ladders. There may be some additional locality pay and may be a housing allowance that helps.

• Like 5