Type keyword(s) to search

Kody Brown: Part-Time Father, Full-Time Asshat

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I think it depends a lot on 1) what type of degree you have (AA, BS, MS, PhD.); 2) what setting (doctor’s office, public health, school nurse, hospital) and 3) geography.

It also depends on your skill set and yrs/experience. ICU, ER which Trauma level, ob/gyn, etc etc. And the market. 

As an xray tech with CT/MRI/Mammo advanced registries, 30 years experience, lots of Trauma, from Level 4 to 1, I made almost $50 hr,  including weekend& night shift diff. In Dallas Metropolis. A new grad with a BS from Baylor started at $27/ hr. If there is a shortage of schools in the area, a new grad can shop for a job. Hunter graduated from Johns Hopkins. He can pick.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

One of my nieces just started as a new grad ADN/RN in January. She’s enrolled in a BSN program. Mid-sized regional hospital in Ky. Base pay is $30/hr plus weekend and shift differentials. Her hospital does not differentiate with ADN/BSN/MSN on bedside nursing positions. The extra shift bonus is something like overtime plus $40/hr plus the differentials. She picks up one extra shift per week, so works four days a week, and will end up close to $100k.

Anyway, nursing varies so much in roles, pay, etc., they Hunter could do very well for himself and will never be without a job. He chose well between nursing and also the military career. At least one Brown kid has some sense.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

All this talking about Kody's kids and work makes me think yet again about what he is doing all day and how he makes his money. They're not filming all year long after all.

We know he is in the gun business and according to some, you can make a lot of money in that. Yet I fail to understand how you'd do that if you don't have a (web) shop and only occasionally visit a gun show or exhibition. It doesn't seem like a regular fulltime job to him. Not even part-time come to think of it.

The weapons he sells are expensive, but he'll have to invest a pretty hefty sum in stock too. It makes me wonder how much he actually earns per sale after deducting all the costs. It can never be enough to keep that mansion,  have 3 kids in college and fund Robyn's Victoria's Secret credit card.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1

Kody could have a website without using his real name or be in partnership with someone else whose name is attached to the website documentation.  I'm not sure Kody is organized and has enough ambition to sell through a website, but with a partner it might be possible.

• Like 6
  • Useful 4

I think there have been posts about Kody having two business partners. I believe one lives in OK and the other in another state, maybe NV. I might be making this up but I think Kody's friend Brian from the infamous wedding is a partner.

I'm fairly certain the dozens of boxes that Christine labelled "books" were Kody's stock of guns and ammo. Other than renting a booth at a gun show and the cost of travel it seems they have little overhead costs.

I'm guessing the guns are his side hustle to supplement the TLC income. Could he support his family of 5 kids on it? Possibly, but it goes without saying Kody will never make as much as he does doing Sister Wives without working some serious hours.

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think there have been posts about Kody having two business partners. I believe one lives in OK and the other in another state, maybe NV. I might be making this up but I think Kody's friend Brian from the infamous wedding is a partner.

I'm fairly certain the dozens of boxes that Christine labelled "books" were Kody's stock of guns and ammo. Other than renting a booth at a gun show and the cost of travel it seems they have little overhead costs.

I'm guessing the guns are his side hustle to supplement the TLC income. Could he support his family of 5 kids on it? Possibly, but it goes without saying Kody will never make as much as he does doing Sister Wives without working some serious hours.

When Kody went to Tulsa, I googled Brian Coalwell in OK. He shows up, and the gun LLC. Nathan is the other partner. 

https://www.bizapedia.com/ut/us-tactical-llc.html

Edited by Art Of Noiz
  • Like 2
  • Useful 8

They would have to be monumentally stupid to store guns and amo in boxes, whether in the house or in the garage. 

There was a large gun safe in Christine's garage and I had assumed that was their personal "collection".

Christine using the Vegas shooting as one of her main reasons for wanting to move away always rubbed me the wrong way, considering how they earn family money.

• Like 14
  • Useful 2

Since the show began and especially since the divorce, Kody has overtly and loudly criticized Christine.

Now that she has a new man, I wonder if Kody will be so free with his insults.

I think that Kody will be afraid to criticize Christine publicly, with David on the scene. I think that Mr. Bigshot is just a cowardly bully.

He'll hide behind "unnamed sources" in rag magazines if he wants to talk bad about her.

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Libby said:

Since the show began and especially since the divorce, Kody has overtly and loudly criticized Christine.

Now that she has a new man, I wonder if Kody will be so free with his insults.

I think that Kody will be afraid to criticize Christine publicly, with David on the scene. I think that Mr. Bigshot is just a cowardly bully.

He'll hide behind "unnamed sources" in rag magazines if he wants to talk bad about her.

I think the rag source is Robyn. For at least 8 years, I've thought Robyn's job in the family businesses is social media policing/trolling. She's the junkyard dog since they fell out with Kendra. Jmo. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 5
20 hours ago, BnJJ said:

They would have to be monumentally stupid to store guns and amo in boxes, whether in the house or in the garage. There was a large gun safe in Christine's garage and I had assumed that was their personal "collection".

Kody IS monumentally stupid, so it makes perfect sense…

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Precious Moments Mansion...

They now have 2 or 3 kids attending college next year. Two non-tender nuggets in grade school who have a paid nanny. And possibly a job and a half, with no additional income from the OG3. Kody hangs with mostly females: Robyn, 3 daughters and the nanny.

Robyn said last season Kody was turning into a woman hater and he said his biggest fear is being broke. And of course there's always the chance that Kody gets reinfected with covid* and has another "near death" experience. Also the fact that he's married to micro manipulator Robyn.

I just don't think its all sunshine and rainbows at the PMM.

*not minimizing the seriousness of covid, just mocking Kody's over the top reaction to having a fever and a "sore ass".

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

And as much as I would like to see Kody and The Dark Queen do some soul-searching and take some responsibility for the implosion of their precious family, I wouldn't want to allow them to continue filming Sister Wives if it means more money in their pockets.  Also, I don't think either of them has a soul anyway.

I do look forward to a season that is mainly about Christine and Janelle breaking away, with a very occasional cameo via Zoom from a miserable-looking Kody as he weakly rages about all that kidney-knifing in front of Christine and Janelle, who both completely ignore him whilst sipping margaritas and eating nachos.

• Like 8
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 8
24 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I do look forward to a season that is mainly about Christine and Janelle breaking away, with a very occasional cameo via Zoom from a miserable-looking Kody as he weakly rages about all that kidney-knifing in front of Christine and Janelle, who both completely ignore him whilst sipping margaritas and eating nachos.

Let’s just hope that Janelle is smart enough this time to claim a decent part of the money as her own, preferably in writing before Robbing Robyn and Claiming Kody can lay their greedy fingers on it.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Maybe they'll redo the format of the show like some primetime series are and only have them each on selected episodes so there's a built in pay cut.  I could go with only having Robyn on one or two episodes per season.  I'd rather have four or five offspring episodes and let the kids who want to be on the show get some pay from it.  

• Like 13
1 hour ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

Well they were filming meri and Kody moving her to the b&b.   So exciting, another move!   Surprised no Robyn but maybe she wanted a break from her beloved.   

Work and effort was involved 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 16
8 hours ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

Well they were filming meri and Kody moving her to the b&b.   So exciting, another move!   Surprised no Robyn but maybe she wanted a break from her beloved.   

I thought the city where the B&B is located forbade her living there? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I doubt Meri will live at the B&B if she's still selling LuLaRoe. She needs places to store her inventory and do FB video sales.

Maybe she'll sell the inn or re-zone and give it a needed rehab to be a nice single family home.

How far or close is Parowan to Christine and all the kids? 

• Like 3
On 4/6/2023 at 5:50 PM, Not Buyin It said:

He so much as said he doesn't get involved with disciplining/managing problems with  the kids. He left it up to the various Moms to handle their problems.

So he left parenting up to their mothers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I doubt Meri will live at the B&B if she's still selling LuLaRoe. She needs places to store her inventory and do FB video sales.

Maybe she'll sell the inn or re-zone and give it a needed rehab to be a nice single family home.

How far or close is Parowan to Christine and all the kids? 

Didn't that place have a mil cottage in back? Unfinished?

• Useful 1

Meri redoing the B&B is unlikely, she's too attached to the frilly, cheap, old, uncomfortable, musty interior that reminds her of her ancestors. Side note; are B&Bs subject to inspections like hotels and restaurants? If so, I wonder how on earth they ever got a pass.

Don't think it matters how close Parowan is to Christine. The chances of them visiting is approximately 0% 

Edited by LilyD
corrected a few hyphens
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

Meri redoing the B&B is unlikely, she's too attached to the frilly, cheap, old, uncomfortable, musty interior that reminds her of her ancestors. Side note; are B&Bs subject to inspections like hotels and restaurants? If so, I wonder how on earth they ever got a pass.

Don't think it matters how close Parowan is to Christine. The chances of them visiting is approximately 0% 

I agree 0% chance of visits.

I was just trying to get a picture in my head of how spread out the Browns are now. It seems to me with 3 of the 4 families being 3+ hours apart, filming is unlikely. Meri's move might be due to finding out the show is cancelled - finding a cheaper home due a decrease in income and leaving Flagstaff because there is nothing there for her without filming.

Maybe the upcoming season will wrap up the end of the OG3 marriages and then they're done.

I would think Kody (+Robyn) and Janelle would have the most concern about losing TLC income because Meri has been doing it on her own since the beginning of Vegas and Christine will now be in a two income family with David.

• Like 8
10 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Someone has to supervise the nanny.

From her boudoir, whilst lounging in silk VS pajamas and sipping tea, served by....the nanny.

I sometimes wonder how Janelle, who was the family bookkeeper and accountant and supposedly the "smart" one, ended up in the worst financial position of all four women.  I still think she bought that huge RV as an ultimatum to Kody to get him to put up or shut up on starting construction on Coyote Pass, but I also believe she was smart enough to know that he was never going to do it.  According to Kody, she went out and got that thing without him knowing.  Why didn't she show him a picture of it and tell him, if we don't start building in 3 months, I'm going to buy this thing and park it on the land?  And then, when he didn't do what she knew he wasn't ever going to do anyway, take the money for the RV and put it on an actual house?  Because all she accomplished was to piss him off...she had to know that a king such as Kody would never, ever be comfortable in an RV when he's used to living in a castle.

I mean, little of what these people do makes a lick of sense, but still, 'tis a puzzler.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

From her boudoir, whilst lounging in silk VS pajamas and sipping tea, served by....the nanny.

I sometimes wonder how Janelle, who was the family bookkeeper and accountant and supposedly the "smart" one, ended up in the worst financial position of all four women.  I still think she bought that huge RV as an ultimatum to Kody to get him to put up or shut up on starting construction on Coyote Pass, but I also believe she was smart enough to know that he was never going to do it.  According to Kody, she went out and got that thing without him knowing.  Why didn't she show him a picture of it and tell him, if we don't start building in 3 months, I'm going to buy this thing and park it on the land?  And then, when he didn't do what she knew he wasn't ever going to do anyway, take the money for the RV and put it on an actual house?  Because all she accomplished was to piss him off...she had to know that a king such as Kody would never, ever be comfortable in an RV when he's used to living in a castle.

I mean, little of what these people do makes a lick of sense, but still, 'tis a puzzler.

She didn’t have three months to wait - her rental sold and she needed a place to live.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

I was just trying to get a picture in my head of how spread out the Browns are now. It seems to me with 3 of the 4 families being 3+ hours apart, filming is unlikely. 

Christine and Robyn were filmed together at the baby shower for Mykelti's twins, because Christine talked about it somewhere. I think Kody was there too. I have a feeling filming will center around Mykelti's pregnancy and birth, which is the one thing they still have in common. Then we'll see them just living separately. 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

Christine and Robyn were filmed together at the baby shower for Mykelti's twins, because Christine talked about it somewhere. I think Kody was there too. I have a feeling filming will center around Mykelti's pregnancy and birth, which is the one thing they still have in common. Then we'll see them just living separately. 

The birth of twins is a real event BUT it's old news now. Between the baby shower and birth, they will probably squeeze 3 episodes out.  Boring!

After TLC gets their return on investment there, I hope they jump ahead to current events and wrap it all up neatly.  They could depict Janelle debating where to live, Meri moving to Parowan and questioning if that is rilly living her WHY, Christine gushing over living her happily ever after and Kody and Robyn scrambling to find an affordable 6 bedroom rennal, maybe in some war-torn area in a State where people are abandoning their homes for safety issues.

• Like 6
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I agree 0% chance of visits.

I was just trying to get a picture in my head of how spread out the Browns are now. It seems to me with 3 of the 4 families being 3+ hours apart, filming is unlikely. Meri's move might be due to finding out the show is cancelled - finding a cheaper home due a decrease in income and leaving Flagstaff because there is nothing there for her without filming.

Maybe the upcoming season will wrap up the end of the OG3 marriages and then they're done.

I would think Kody (+Robyn) and Janelle would have the most concern about losing TLC income because Meri has been doing it on her own since the beginning of Vegas and Christine will now be in a two income family with David.

I think we're in for at least 2 more seasons because viewer interest has increased so much with the announcement of Christine's divorce. People who stopped watching have jumped back in, etc. 

Meri moving to Parowan means that if they film the bulk of the talking heads in Christine's area, she's only 3 hours from there so she'd be more likely to be included, although there is not much to film with Meri until the show timeline catches up to the official "divorce" announcement she and Kody recently made. 

Despite her protestations to the contrary, I always assumed Meri would one day move to the BnB. There was nothing for her in Flagstaff except filming - and trees.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Teafortwo said:

Despite her protestations to the contrary, I always assumed Meri would one day move to the BnB. There was nothing for her in Flagstaff except filming - and trees.

Meri envisions herself an edgy, uptown, world traveling girl. For that reason, I don't see her settling into life at the BnB.

She does not have the temperament to act as a gracious hostess, the population of Parowan is just over 3000 people and the closest major airport is 3 hours away from there.

Even if she didn't operate the house as a BnB, the place would need an overhaul to meet her exacting standards. Aside from a few pictures and that round table with the crocheted cover in the parlor, there doesn't seem to be anything of her heritage there.  

Besides the lack of social stimulation, it would drive her bananas to sit on the front porch and stare at the eyesore across the street.

I think she will use the Parowan house as a stopgap until she catches her breath and plans her next move.

• Like 14
1 hour ago, Teafortwo said:

I think we're in for at least 2 more seasons because viewer interest has increased so much with the announcement of Christine's divorce. People who stopped watching have jumped back in, etc. 

Taking my reply to the spoiler and speculation thread.

I think Janelle came out the worst financially because out of the entire bunch, she’s actually the truest believer. She is the one who had the most hope and did the most to work with her entire family to try to be fair and balanced. She actually thought they could all live together under one big house and live their faith.

I say she’s the truest believer because - these are my personal opinions of course:

kody = liked the idea of polygamy for the attention, being seen as rebellious and edgy to regular LDS, and of course being King Rooster with multiple women ruling over his planet. 
Meri = she was going to do whatever it took to keep kody. If he’d converted to airport hippie Hari Krishna she’d follow. 

Janelle = true believer. I feel like she the one who tried to explain what they did what they did religiously and lifestyle wise, and that she’s the one who appeared to try the most to be cooperative and make it all flow. She wasn’t going to give ultimatums or be wise financially because she was trying to earnestly keep her family together and believed them when they said they’d have one big house together. 

Christine = born into it, grew up in fear of living anything else, never really thought about any other life than polygamy, got treated like garbage by choosing Kody. Did not want the hard work of being wife 1 or 2, always wanted the Baby Wife Catbird Seat aka newest and prob fave. 

Robyn = if TLC cameras hadn’t been sniffing, she would not have gone anywhere near this family. She had bills to pay and limited options as a divorcee with three kids, one who she insisted was special needs. She’s all pious now, but I think that like Meri, she’d confirm to whoever paid the bills and let her rule the roost. 

• Like 20
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 4/9/2023 at 1:15 AM, Art Of Noiz said:

I hope so. But it wouldn't surprise me if he's taught them all to shoot.

Why wouldn't he? It's the best way to impress gun safety rules, it's a rewarding skill to master, and it's just plain fun!

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Great analysis @RazzleberryPie! I think you’re spot on with all you say, but I’d like to add that Meri was also attracted to the power and status that came with being the first wife.
For polygamy to work, you really need to set yourself aside and think of the greater unit. Other family members’ needs are as important (or more important) as your own. There’s no room for jealousy, demanding constant help nor for claiming lots of material goods for your individual craving. Janelle was the only one capable of doing that. Christine came close at times, though definitely not always. The others always set their own needs before the others.

• Like 14
On 4/28/2023 at 5:01 PM, Sandy W said:

Meri envisions herself an edgy, uptown, world traveling girl. For that reason, I don't see her settling into life at the BnB.

She does not have the temperament to act as a gracious hostess, the population of Parowan is just over 3000 people and the closest major airport is 3 hours away from there.

Even if she didn't operate the house as a BnB, the place would need an overhaul to meet her exacting standards. Aside from a few pictures and that round table with the crocheted cover in the parlor, there doesn't seem to be anything of her heritage there.  

Besides the lack of social stimulation, it would drive her bananas to sit on the front porch and stare at the eyesore across the street.

I think she will use the Parowan house as a stopgap until she catches her breath and plans her next move.

This. I always knew Meri would use the place as a temporary landing pad whenever she needed it. I called it in 2019 or whenever she first purchased it. Awesome planning on her part

It’s funny, everyone seems to have backup plans except Kody and Robyn. They can’t mooch money off the others anymore. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

This. I always knew Meri would use the place as a temporary landing pad whenever she needed it. I called it in 2019 or whenever she first purchased it. Awesome planning on her part

It’s funny, everyone seems to have backup plans except Kody and Robyn. They can’t mooch money off the others anymore. 

I wonder if Janelle waited to "separate" from Kody until she started making bank from Plex-trash, but had planned to do so all along.

• Like 7
  • Fire 1

somebody else described Janelle as the one true believer a few days ago. She really believed in polygamy and wanted this eternal marriage to work out.

Covid changed all and showed Kody’s true colors. His total neglect of his other wives and kids must have really gotten to her and I suspect she really needed the time to come to terms with the end of their ‘marriage’.  It seems she was lucky enough for this to happen when she established herself as a succesful Plexass ‘consultant’. 

• Like 13
12 hours ago, LilyD said:

somebody else described Janelle as the one true believer a few days ago. She really believed in polygamy and wanted this eternal marriage to work out.

Covid changed all and showed Kody’s true colors. His total neglect of his other wives and kids must have really gotten to her and I suspect she really needed the time to come to terms with the end of their ‘marriage’.  It seems she was lucky enough for this to happen when she established herself as a succesful Plexass ‘consultant’. 

And she actually dropped weight without him in the picture. That alone says a lot. 

• Like 13
13 hours ago, LilyD said:

Agreed.  Except for the last sentence.  Christine has said that Janelle advised her to get her financial ducks in a row before leaving Kody.  I believe Janelle then  took her own advice rather than was just lucky. 

• Like 13
  • Useful 1

I think Janelle stayed in the relationship while it was working for her, and got out the minute it didn't. Janelle is not as outwardly emotional as Christine, and she's a lot more independent. I don't think Janelle has been truly in love with Kody for years, if ever. And it still creeps me out that she got into a plural marriage with her ex-sister in law's (Meri's) husband. 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I think Janelle stayed in the relationship while it was working for her, and got out the minute it didn't. Janelle is not as outwardly emotional as Christine, and she's a lot more independent. I don't think Janelle has been truly in love with Kody for years, if ever. And it still creeps me out that she got into a plural marriage with her ex-sister in law's (Meri's) husband. 

Interesting that the time she chose to bail was when she could no longer ignore the fact that she had been taken advantage of financially. 

Her own kids feelings of emotional insecurity were a secondary afterthought.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I think she genuinely loved Kody for some time. I think she stayed after it stopped working, which was during COVID but I don’t necessarily think it was bad because a) COVID, and b) I think she was getting her financial ducks a little more in a row.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/28/2023 at 4:15 AM, LilyD said:

Side note; are B&Bs subject to inspections like hotels and restaurants? If so, I wonder how on earth they ever got a pass.

I lived in a town of a similar size and there was no Health Inspector.  The cost was $60K annually and they tried to get other cities and counties to go in together to share in the cost, but never got any traction.  A quick google search didn’t result in any restaurant inspection scores for restaurants in Parowan, and those are usually posted by the city, county or restaurant; so my guess is no inspection.  Eat at your own risk ;)

Edited by Booger666
  • Like 2
  • Useful 6