Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Heroes of Patience

• Start Topic

(edited)

So the real Harry really was a bad guy! But nobody has figured that out yet; was waiting for someone to find the poison in Harry's house but it never happened.

I laughed so hard at the final moment.

So, we've got the new doctor kidnapped somewhere, the kid stuck on Harry's spaceship, and the scientist guy waiting for the psycho to kill him. That's a lot to resolve early next season.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 9

Harry's original idea that "nobody gets away with anything because the universe knows what you've done" is not congruent with him wanting to kill an entire species. Wouldn't he be racking up a lot of negative karma in that case?

I really liked the conversation Harry had with Dead Harry. It was so real.

Max's parents were just amazing 🤣. What even was that. I didn't expect them to own those government people like that.

Overall a really good ending for the season, I am so glad it was already renewed.

• Love 9

Seriously, good cliffhangers, good interactions. Sheriff buys Deputy a Nespresso machine -- awww! Max's parents do a major beatdown on the feds (if they really are feds). Who knew they had it in them? Harry doesn't destroy the world. Yay!

The boot. The foot. OK. Bring it home! I'm ready for Season 2!

• Love 7

I loved the beat-down by the Mayor and his wife.  It was so clumsy and real.  It was hilarious.  

I'm sad that Harry still decided to leave, but he obviously needs to turn around since he has Max.  Good set-up for next season. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

I hope we find out WHY Harry was supposed to kill the humans.

I think the foot is going to be a problem. The Deputy is not stupid and she will look for DNA which will match with OriginalHarry.

I am not sure if the evidence that OriginalHarry is the one who killed Sam will come out, also causing trouble for AlienHarry, but either way I think they showed that to us to help us get over his death. I am not sure it makes any sense, though. What was his motive? 

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

So the real Harry really was a bad guy! But nobody has figured that out yet

I did! Or, at least, I posited that Real Harry is the one who killed Sam a week or so ago. Yay me!

I think they alluded to this in the pilot, although it wasn't elaborated on. In the closing monologue, Harry says that humans are dangerous. It's probably as simple as that. The aliens consider them too dangerous to evolve any further and eventually make their way to other planets.

I loved the beat-down by the Mayor and his wife.  It was so clumsy and real.  It was hilarious.  

Honestly that was the most satisfying thing I've seen on TV in ages. How many times have I cringed in frustration as someone just weeps and whimpers and pleads instead of standing up and defending themselves? That beat-down was what I've been waiting for forever.

I have one nitpick about this show - the actors playing Mayor Ben and Doctor Ethan look so similar I got them confused at one point (when Ben was sitting on the bench with D'Arcy). 

Otherwise, this show has really turned out to be sublime. Can't wait for the new season. 

Oh, the wasted pizzas!

• Love 21
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I am not sure if the evidence that OriginalHarry is the one who killed Sam will come out, also causing trouble for AlienHarry, but either way I think they showed that to us to help us get over his death. I am not sure it makes any sense, though. What was his motive? 

I'm thinking Sam found out about whatever happened in New York that Harry was running from (or maybe it was only a matter of time somehow) and so Harry killed him.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

When Harry was injured in the crevasse he told Asta that humans treated Earth like an egg left out in the sun, rotting and dying, instead of sitting on it and nurturing it until it becomes something beautiful. Paraphrased the heck out of that.

Harry also told a story at some point about how his people have been coming to Earth for thousands of years, and back then people took their advice and did a decent job of coexisting with nature. But over time that stopped and now essentially Harry's people got fed up with the way humans are shitting on the Earth and generally making everything horrible.

16 hours ago, redpencil said:

So the real Harry really was a bad guy! But nobody has figured that out yet; was waiting for someone to find the poison in Harry's house but it never happened.

Okay that makes more sense. I was trying to quickly get ready for bed and watch at the same time and missed this distinction. I thought that was Alien Harry. I need to rewatch.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

The Mayor and his wife beating the agents down might be my favorite scene of the series, and this show has had a LOT of great moments to choose from. That was awesome, it was so frantic and real, and it might have just saved their marriage as well. 

Great season finale, I am so glad that we have already been renewed for another season. Harry decided not to kill everyone through the power of friendship and pizza and started to go back to his home planet, but there are still a lot of plot threads to explore next season. First of all, getting Max back home, but we also have the lingering questions about why real Harry killed Sam, Agent David being on the outs with the men in black (sorry, women in purple), the lingering threat of the general and her organization, the kidnapped doctor, and whatever presumably sinister plan the Greys have for kidnapping human babies. So much going on, and that's what has made this show so special. Its so full of tonal and genre shifts among its large cast, who sometimes all seem to be living in totally different stories, but it all works because all of the weird shifts in mood and focus tie together in both plot and theme. Its pretty amazing how they have made it all balance out so well. 

I gasped when they showed that Real Harry was the killer all along, kudos to whoever called that one. On the one hand, it could be seen as a bit of a cheat, to make Real Harry a bad guy so that we don't feel as bad about Fake Harry killing him, that it was all really just karma at work. On the other, it certainly was a surprise and I think it helped Fake Harry get some perspective on being a murderer. If killing one guy is karmic enough to warrant death by alien, what does killing a whole population mean for Fake Harry? The talk between the two Harrys was great, murderer/hallucination or not, Real Harry really has Fake Harrys number. I wonder if Sam found out why Real Harry was hiding out here after leaving New York? 

"This is some bullshit." 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I'd kind of like it if the other agent guy is able to join forces with max and harry and the crew to fight against the MIB bad guys.... Poor town doctor guy... I wonder how long it will take them to figure out he's not an alien.... Though it might be quite obvious with Harry's ship gone. 

He will at least be able to hopefully hide it better when he brings Max back home. I'm glad he decided to not kill all of humanity 😛

Very curious to know motive for why humanharry would kill the doctor, they made it seem like he never really went into town or knew anybody... 

• Love 2

I think that Real Harry might have been a hired assassin or something. He injected the BoTox absolutely calmly, like he had no qualms about killing him, then went back to his house and took a nap.

I think it's possible that the new doctor in town was the son of Terry O'Quinn, and that he was recruited by aliens to keep an eye on Fake Harry.  He may wind up working with the group that kidnapped him. 

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, roctavia said:

Very curious to know motive for why humanharry would kill the doctor, they made it seem like he never really went into town or knew anybody... 

HarryAlien said it was an accident, he didn't know that HarryHuman would die if he fell into the water. HarryAlien seems to know a lot about Earth, but he learned the nuances from inhabiting a human body and watching TV.

I wonder if the bomb would have killed other lifeforms or just humans.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

HarryAlien said it was an accident, he didn't know that HarryHuman would die if he fell into the water. HarryAlien seems to know a lot about Earth, but he learned the nuances from inhabiting a human body and watching TV.

I wonder if the bomb would have killed other lifeforms or just humans.

I meant the real harry killing the town doctor.... we don't have much indicating a motive there since it seemed like he would keep to himself when he visited his cabin..... I get why the alien got rid of human harry....

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I can't decide whether it was smart or stupid of Max to hide on Alien!Harry's ship.  Kinda reminded me of "Up" with the kid hiding on the front porch of the house.  

I'm also not sure how I feel about D'Arcy palling around with Jay like Jay's a grownup.  Or like Jay is Asta. 

What was the song that played while Alien!Harry was eating pizza?  It sounded like Iris Dement.  

Loved loved loved the beatdown the mayor and his wife gave the psycho and her partner.  (Heh, "Kill ya later!").  But it's a small town.  The Sheriff and Liv should have gotten there before those two got away.  I also loved Sahar ("SHE has a name.") planting the phone on the RV -- and extorting the guy for a hundred bucks.  

It will be interesting to see if anyone can figure out that Human!Harry killed the original doctor.  And why?  So many loose ends with that plot line!  But at least Alien!Harry doesn't have to worry about hiding the body any more.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The mayor seemed back to his usual personality this week, after being super uptight about the dinner menu changing previously. When he was sitting on the bench talking with Darcy, I liked him more than ever before-- until the beatdown, which was even better.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I never cheered so much as when the Mayor and his wife did the beatdown on MurderScully. I felt sorry for the partner, though. I've been confused about him. He's in the army, and apparently Gen. Linda Hamilton was his commanding officer, so why are they treating him like an outsider?

Precocious kids I usually find annoying, but I love how Max and Sahar interact with Harry, and in this episode, Asta. They're hilarious. 

If I had been Max, I totally would have stowed away on the ship too.

I don't understand why Harry believed his device would kill him in his human form? Wouldn't he just revert to his original form before it went off?

Shame about the pizzas, though. I totally get it, Harry.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I can't decide whether it was smart or stupid of Max to hide on Alien!Harry's ship.  Kinda reminded me of "Up" with the kid hiding on the front porch of the house.  

Smart. There were a bunch of soldiers shooting all over the place not caring about collateral damage. The ship seemed to be bulletproof.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Shame about the pizzas, though. I totally get it, Harry.

Not those pizzas, though.  They were the poorest excuse for a pizza I've ever seen.  They looked like pepperoni and some vegetables sitting on a thick slice of bread.  I can see Harry obsessing over something with a lot of ooey gooey cheese, but not those things.  I wonder if somewhere they actually make pizzas like that or if it was another production failure, like the styrofoam blocks of ice in the crevasse.  

Harry, I'm from Chicago.  Stop by here next time you're flying around, and we can show you some seriously good pizza.  Thick crust, thin crust, deep dish, all kinds. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Not those pizzas, though.  They were the poorest excuse for a pizza I've ever seen.  They looked like pepperoni and some vegetables sitting on a thick slice of bread.  I can see Harry obsessing over something with a lot of ooey gooey cheese, but not those things.  I wonder if somewhere they actually make pizzas like that or if it was another production failure, like the styrofoam blocks of ice in the crevasse.  

Harry, I'm from Chicago.  Stop by here next time you're flying around, and we can show you some seriously good pizza.  Thick crust, thin crust, deep dish, all kinds. 

Co-sign.  Hell, I’m just from Schaumburg and I can get better pizza than that back home.  That thing reminded me of the plastic-y $#!t you see in frozen pizza commercials- “it’s not delivery!”  No kidding...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

But, y'know, he's an alien.  That's the first and only pizza he's ever tasted.  He doesn't know any better yet.  You'd think, though, that the people of Patience would know better and possibly even have other choices.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Thank dog other people noticed this! I was so distracted by that crime against nature they dared to call "pizza" - it looked like a chunk of a phone book* with a couple scattered toppings. <yargh>

The agent beat-down was spectacular - I could only dream of mustering that kind of maniac-parent-strength if my two cats were ever in danger.

*Just realized that some youngsters might not know what a phone book is: it's a massive collection of all phone numbers of a certain area, listed alphabetically. Extremely thick and extremely dry, one would figure. In the olden days, an insecure muscly-man might demonstrate his strength by ripping one in half against "the grain", while today you might find one used one to create a papier-mache model of a rotary phone for sale in Anthropologie.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

Both Sahar and the Action!Parents made me so happy. All too often certain kinds of people are overlooked.

Sahar is a small girl and a hijabi at that. Most people would think quiet and obedient. Instead she is smart, effective and some day will run the World Bank or possibly an Evil Empire with a hidden base inside a volcano in Greenland.

And the fury of Max's parents over the threat to their child! Wow! As said above their attack was totally unexpected, extremely effective, and may have saved their marriage by showing them what they both need.

I can handwave the slow arrival of the police. Ladysmith/Patience is built on the side of a mountain. Those town streets in late winter/early spring would be covered in black ice and difficult to navigate safely. Some of them are on a 60 degree angle to the highway at the shoreline.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 4/2/2021 at 6:50 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I never cheered so much as when the Mayor and his wife did the beatdown on MurderScully. I felt sorry for the partner, though. I've been confused about him. He's in the army, and apparently Gen. Linda Hamilton was his commanding officer, so why are they treating him like an outsider?

I think he was regular Air Force, while he had skills that Linda Hamilton could use he wasn't read into the secret agency that they are part of.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Nialla, thanks for linking that as I, too, didn't have that last scene on my dvr.  

I liked everything about this episode except for when they sent Jimmie's car down the road and another car hit it/it hit another car.  It's one thing to enact some revenge on him, it's another to endanger innocents.

The 'beat-down' was wonderful and beautiful, but I was sorry that the agents got away.  However, I am glad that they weren't able to kill the Air Force guy (the not men in black not being able to kill him).

I also appreciated the change in relationship between the sheriff and deputy (and a coffee machine just for her!).

I am so glad this was renewed but will start getting angsty waiting for its return.

• Love 10
38 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

The 'beat-down' was wonderful and beautiful, but I was sorry that the agents got away.  However, I am glad that they weren't able to kill the Air Force guy (the not men in black not being able to kill him).

By the way the parents kept grabbing increasingly lethal weapons during the beat down I was expecting one of the agents to die. With Air Force most likely going on the run and the new doctor being experimented on  its going to be an interesting season premiere.

• Love 2

More than happy to share that last scene. The line delivery of "This is some bullshit" was great.

3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I liked everything about this episode except for when they sent Jimmie's car down the road and another car hit it/it hit another car.  It's one thing to enact some revenge on him, it's another to endanger innocents.

Same. It would be one thing to aim it at a tree or into a ditch, but it went into cross traffic.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

With Air Force most likely going on the run and the new doctor being experimented on  its going to be an interesting season premiere.

I'm wondering if the Air Force guy will eventually work with the townsfolk once he realizes Harry is no longer on a mass murder mission. He mainly wanted to meet an alien, and that could be doable.

How long will it take for the MIB to figure out the doctor is human? And wouldn't it be a fun twist if he wasn't? Harry has talked about multiple alien species, so what if there's one that could hide even from him?

I'm really curious to see if anyone besides the audience will ever know that human!Harry was actually the murderer. His body was destroyed, but there's still a foot out there, right? The deputy was putting the stuff found in the lake together, and the sheriff was buying into it, but that was about Harry murdering, well, Harry, not the town doctor. Did human!Harry leave any clues behind that would link him to the crime? I have a feeling if there's any clues, it's going to be through his wife. She'd said Harry had withdrawn before ending up in Patience, so did the doctor figure out some big secret that had him in hiding?

I had actually thought early on that human!Harry was the killer, but the timing didn't work out since he'd been replaced by an alien months earlier. Then it was revealed that it was tainted insulin that could have been left at any time. Hmmm. Though most diabetics don't keep several months worth of insulin in the fridge, just a month or two, but maybe it's different if you're a doctor with easy access. Though if you have such easy access, it's puzzling that he would set aside his own stash alongside the clinics. Once he cracked the seal, yes, but multiple unopened vials? That seemed weird, but may mean nothing.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Nialla said:

Though most diabetics don't keep several months worth of insulin in the fridge, just a month or two, but maybe it's different if you're a doctor with easy access.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Just googled: UNOPENED insulin stored in the refrigerator is good until the expiration date printed on the insulin box. The expiration date will usually be one year from the date of purchase.

It seemed like the doctor bought two boxes of insulin for himself. He probably then split his insulin box so that he had some at home and at work. He probably did the majority of the injections at work since he had trained nurses to do the injections and to notice if anything went wrong. (So why was he alone when something went wrong?)

You can tell which bottle he was currently using since the bottles all have blue caps except one. Each bottle may contain 10 daily doses. The doctor might require 37 bottles a year. There were 25 bottles per box. In the partial box, there were 8 unopened bottles with blue caps and one open bottle with no cap. HarryHuman picked an unopened bottle to poison. This means that the doctor should have died in less than 80 days, unless he used some of the insulin from home, do small town doctors get days off? I am not sure how that sync's up to the 5 month ago timeline in the story, since we don't know how long HarryAlien has been sitting around learning to be human by watching TV.  Do they say how long ago HarryAlien crashed on Earth, I remember Asta saying she saw HarryAlien's spaceship crash at the Alien Convention, I am not sure if she said how long ago that was.

If HarryHuman just picked a bottle at random, that means he was in no hurry to kill the doctor. I don't understand HarryHuman's leisurely pace for murder. I don't understand why HarryHuman's wife didn't come looking for him earlier, since HarryHuman had been gone for months. I also wonder about the old pickup truck, it seems like a weird vehicle for a doctor (or anyone) to drive.

• Useful 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Yeah, that really bothered me. 

How did Asta and Max just walk into the military facility with the spaceship?

Edited by Accidental Martyr
  • Love 4

I think Sam would have insulin at work because he needs to use it during the day, and he probably works long hours-- he might even be at the office more than at home. I'm sure he wouldn't need a nurse or other assistant to inject it. It's something diabetics do for themselves all the time.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 4/1/2021 at 8:53 PM, roctavia said:

Poor town doctor guy... I wonder how long it will take them to figure out he's not an alien.... Though it might be quite obvious with Harry's ship gone. 

You know there's going to be probing......some of us can't forget that he played an alien on another show.

On 4/3/2021 at 3:44 PM, Dewey Decimate said:

*Just realized that some youngsters might not know what a phone book is: it's a massive collection of all phone numbers of a certain area, listed alphabetically. Extremely thick and extremely dry, one would figure. In the olden days, an insecure muscly-man might demonstrate his strength by ripping one in half against "the grain", while today you might find one used one to create a papier-mache model of a rotary phone for sale in Anthropologie.

It was also what the very youngsters would have to sit on to reach the table at Thanksgiving dinner.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

It was also what the very youngsters would have to sit on to reach the table at Thanksgiving dinner.

I grew up in a very small town.  We had a very small phone book -- completely useless as a booster seat!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 4/5/2021 at 3:59 PM, Accidental Martyr said:
On 4/4/2021 at 4:04 PM, seacliffsal said:

Yeah, that really bothered me. 

Even if it hit a parked car or business and no one was hurt, Jimmie is totally the kind of person who doesn't have insurance.

On 4/5/2021 at 3:59 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

How did Asta and Max just walk into the military facility with the spaceship?

The General said that she was operating with the knowledge of her superiors, so it could have been some of site warehouse and most of her troops were with her collecting the "Alien".

• Love 1
On 4/4/2021 at 6:49 PM, Raja said:

By the way the parents kept grabbing increasingly lethal weapons during the beat down I was expecting one of the agents to die. With Air Force most likely going on the run and the new doctor being experimented on  its going to be an interesting season premiere.

The slow-mo kind of showed that they weren't really hitting that hard, though.  You can see one of them hitting the female agent in the butt with the frying pan.  Not exactly lethal blows.  

On 4/4/2021 at 9:56 PM, Nialla said:

How long will it take for the MIB to figure out the doctor is human? And wouldn't it be a fun twist if he wasn't? Harry has talked about multiple alien species, so what if there's one that could hide even from him?

In my mind, he IS an alien because that actor was one on "People of Earth."  I keep expecting him to turn into a Reptilian.  

On 4/1/2021 at 9:26 PM, tennisgurl said:

The Mayor and his wife beating the agents down might be my favorite scene of the series, and this show has had a LOT of great moments to choose from. That was awesome, it was so frantic and real, and it might have just saved their marriage as well. 

Great season finale, I am so glad that we have already been renewed for another season. Harry decided not to kill everyone through the power of friendship and pizza and started to go back to his home planet, but there are still a lot of plot threads to explore next season. First of all, getting Max back home, but we also have the lingering questions about why real Harry killed Sam, Agent David being on the outs with the men in black (sorry, women in purple), the lingering threat of the general and her organization, the kidnapped doctor, and whatever presumably sinister plan the Greys have for kidnapping human babies. 

My husband and I just finished the series over the weekend, and I can't stop thinking about it.  I think I've watched the beat down scene at least five times.  So satisfying to see that smug super agent bitch get her ass kicked by Mayor Snowflake and his wife, armed with only a lamp and a frying pan.  :)  And then they are both super turned-on by it.  I have a weird head canon idea that they will become vigilantes next season, then go home and have sex after they stop burglaries and car jackings and stuff like that.

As for Human Harry being the one who killed Dr. Sam, that was a great twist and I honestly didn't see it coming.  I've seen a lot of theories about it, but my relatively simple one was that Sam's wife and Human Harry were hooking up and the wife asked Harry to kill him.  

• Love 4