Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

According to what I've read the only people who get invites from the Academy itself are:

The nominees themselves (they get a plus one).  If a nominee is nominated multiple times they get multiple tickets.  So if you are nommed in two categories you get four tickets.

Then presenters and performers (also get a plus one)

When a movie is nominated for best Picture only the producers get an invite (not the whole or main cast)

Then they reserve some blocs for network execs and event sponsors.

The rest are sent in blocs to the studios proportionate to the nominations they've received.  And it is up to the studio to decide who they want to invite.

So apparently her non-invitation was on the head of Disney.

Not sure how/who decides who is invited to be a presenter because that could be a way in for someone in her situation who didn't get a nom but didn't make the cut for her studio.

• Useful 17
  • Love 2

Since Zelger seems to be having A Moment, you would think they would ask her to present. It doesn't even have to be a high profile award, just something to get her in the door.

Edited by RunningMarket
spelling of name
  • Love 4

I know members of the Academy get 2 tickets. Gregory Walcott, whose main claim to fame was staring in "Plan 9 from Outer Space" but was a reliable studio actor during the 50s-60s, always took one of his children or grandchildren.  ( I met him a couple times; he was a really sweet guy.)

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Katy M said:

You either are or are not the father.  But, plot twist. She is NOT the mother.

Reminds me of an old Dear Abby letter in which a woman correspondent   wrote," I have  man I could never trust. Why he cheats SO much I'm not sure this baby I'm carrying is his!"

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 9
17 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Personally, I think Kim's men woes have made me all the happier to be single! Who needs all those headaches and drama?

Of course, the same could be said for a large percentage of men who've never met Miss Kardashian!*

* Even with that said, I STILL don't think she deserves having herself and, especially her offspring who've had no choice in any of this,  being put through the nutburger wringer by the Former West (and possibly Mr. Davidson).

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Blergh said:

Of course, the same could be said for a large percentage of men who've never met Miss Kardashian!*

* Even with that said, I STILL don't think she deserves having herself and, especially her offspring who've had no choice in any of this,  being put through the nutburger wringer by the Former West (and possibly Mr. Davidson).

Very, very true. I don't think any of the three are a prize, though I do feel terrible for those innocent children.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Parents should teach their offspring from an early age how to look for signs of abusers and manipulators in general (along with all the other facts of life and life lessons)- and speak up if they believe their offspring has hooked up with one even in adulthood.

Well, that's great if your parents even know, but who is going to teach Kim & Kanye's kids?

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, GaT said:

Well, that's great if your parents even know, but who is going to teach Kim & Kanye's kids?

I would hope by now that Miss Kardashian has gained some clues- if not now at least by her eldest's 18th birthday! 

Edited by Blergh
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

So apparently her non-invitation was on the head of Disney.

Not sure how/who decides who is invited to be a presenter because that could be a way in for someone in her situation who didn't get a nom but didn't make the cut for her studio.

The Wrap has a source saying she didn’t get an invite because she is filming Snow White in London and Disney doesn’t want her to travel to LA and risk production shutting down if she gets sick. 

1 hour ago, GaT said:

This. We live a society that doesn’t value teaching people what healthy relationships look like and still stigmatizes mental health issues. Really unhealthy relationship patterns are deeply engrained in our culture. 

This article is authored by a writer who is bipolar, who interviewed a few other bipolar writers. They are terrified by Kanye.

Bipolar disorder, as Ikpi explained, can be ugly in a way that many other mental illnesses just ain’t. “There is a respectability politic with mental health. You’re only allowed to have a mental illness in public if it makes you sad or makes people feel bad for you. You’re only allowed to have a mental illness in public if people already like you.” She continued, “I will concede that Kanye is an a--hole. But what we’re seeing isn’t regular a--hole behavior. This is an a--hole in an extended manic episode. This doesn’t excuse his behavior. But it does give a reason for it.” ...

Unlike Kanye, I have guardrails. Legitimate fears of the very real possibility of not being able to provide for my family. Kanye has none, and that terrifies Ikpi. She returned to this point several times in our conversation, as if this is all that we need to be talking about. “He’s a billionaire. A legit billionaire. All the things that are supposed to happen when you hit rock bottom and decide to live better — a loss of resources, a loss of friends — just ain’t going to happen to him. He’s too big. And has no incentive to change. No one who could hold him accountable. I just don’t see a good end here.”

“How bad?” I asked.

“The worst.”

• Useful 7
7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Not sure how/who decides who is invited to be a presenter

In the past, the presenters for the big 4 acting Oscars were the people that won those awards the previous year, but they presented to the other gender of the same award level (e.g., last year's Best Supporting Actor presenting this year's Best Supporting Actress award).

Not sure if that's still how it's done.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, SVNBob said:

In the past, the presenters for the big 4 acting Oscars were the people that won those awards the previous year, but they presented to the other gender of the same award level (e.g., last year's Best Supporting Actor presenting this year's Best Supporting Actress award).

Not sure if that's still how it's done.

It still was as of last year;  I think its become a tradition and isn't going away anytime soon.

Other presenters are chosen for a variety of reasons, I think the studios have some say and want to promote actors with projects soon to be released, etc; so those are the folks who get the gig otherwise.  Best Picture usually gets an icon to present; someone who has a substantial career, usually an Oscar for acting.  Recall it was Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty who opened the envelope and announced the wrong Best Picture winner a few years back,

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

It still was as of last year;  I think its become a tradition and isn't going away anytime soon.

Other presenters are chosen for a variety of reasons, I think the studios have some say and want to promote actors with projects soon to be released, etc; so those are the folks who get the gig otherwise.  Best Picture usually gets an icon to present; someone who has a substantial career, usually an Oscar for acting.  Recall it was Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty who opened the envelope and announced the wrong Best Picture winner a few years back,

This year's list of presenters is full of questionable choices that were obviously done as some sort of ratings grab--DJ Khalid, Tony Hawk, Shawn Mendez, and Shaun White come to mind.  I get why people are upset that Rachel was not invited or asked to present.  It gets back to the big issue going on with the Oscars, the Academy and ABC.  They are upset that ratings are tanking because they believe the telecast should be pulling in Super Bowl level numbers.  Which is not going to happen especially when your telecast is up against the NCAA tournament.  Those coveted men ages 18-35 are going to be watching St. Peters beat either UNC or UCLA.

• Love 8

As far as the Oscar ratings go, the Academy needs to realize that the days of ratings like in 1998 have come and gone and they need to stop trying to make fetch happen.  The only people not in the industry who really seem to care anymore are the die hards.  Instead of worrying about popular categories maybe they need to do a better job of promoting the actual nominees.  None of them are particularly esoteric.  Where can people find them?  What are they about?  What makes a movie like Dune so technically impressive or a movie like West Side Story so visually pleasing?  Educate people on what to look for and help them start to make evaluations on their own.  Like the most things, it's always more fun when you have a dog in the fight.

And if you can't use current nominees as examples so as not to show bias then use past winners or favorites.  ABC could air a week long series in primetime leading up to night of the event.  Or better yet, 1 night a week from the time the nominations come out leading up to the Oscars to give people time to see what they want.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 12
40 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

This year's list of presenters is full of questionable choices that were obviously done as some sort of ratings grab--DJ Khalid, Tony Hawk, Shawn Mendez, and Shaun White come to mind. 

Clearly those choices are aimed at attracting a younger, more "hip" audience.  Good luck with that.

1 minute ago, kiddo82 said:

Like the most things, it's always more fun when you have a dog in the fight.

Very true.  I didn't watch last year because I had not seen any of the movies involved and didn't care about the ones I'd even heard of.  Same with this year, although I do wish I could've seen Belfast.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

And if you can't use current nominees as examples so as not to show bias then use past winners or favorites.  ABC could air a week long series in primetime leading up to night of the event.  Or better yet, 1 night a week from the time the nominations come out leading up to the Oscars to give people time to see what they want.

Entertainment Weekly, when it was a weekly and when it was in print, would do an Oscar issue in the lead up to the show and each year they had a group of industry insiders talk about the nominees and who they would vote for.  They usually had an actor, a screenwriter, a producer and maybe an agent or a publicist or someone like that.  Half the fun was trying to figure out who they were because they didn't tell you their names. I loved reading what they found worthy of an Oscar and what they looked for to make them want to vote for a particular nominee. 

Also Barbara Walters used to have her Oscar special where she interviewed at least one of the nominees.

35 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Clearly those choices are aimed at attracting a younger, more "hip" audience.  Good luck with that.

Very true.  I didn't watch last year because I had not seen any of the movies involved and didn't care about the ones I'd even heard of.  Same with this year, although I do wish I could've seen Belfast.

You always get into trouble when you try to appeal to a new audience while alienating your existing audience.

For the past ten years or so more often than not I have not heard of most of the nominees for best picture and increasing I have not heard of the acting nominees either.  And I don't live in a bubble.  As I mentioned I read EW.  I'm online daily so I'm aware of current movies and actors.  But for whatever reason the academy is nominating people and movies that seem to be not known to a wide audience.  

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 6

Am I the only one that considers the various awards show to be nothing more than self-aggrandized marketing? I mean, they nominate the awards shows themselves ffs.  It sort of only makes sense to showcase the lesser-knowns, in an attempt to bump the roi.

Just me?  kthksbye  😆

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Am I the only one that considers the various awards show to be nothing more than self-aggrandized marketing? I mean, they nominate the awards shows themselves ffs.  It sort of only makes sense to showcase the lesser-knowns, in an attempt to bump the roi.

Just me?  kthksbye  😆

As a life long awards show junkie, who could not get enough of this shit back in The Normal Times, prior to Covid, nope, it isn't just you.  I am now officially over it. 

• Love 7

I remember watching the award shows as a child and loving them, always upset I had to go to bed before it was over.  Then I moved to just checking the results the next morning with perhaps a look at a few best dressed lists.  Now I so rarely like any fashion considered “best dressed” that I don’t bother with photos of anyone other than the few I like.  And you can see any acceptance speech online so there is no need to suffer through the bloat.

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

For the past ten years or so more often than not I have not heard of most of the nominees for best picture and increasing I have not heard of the acting nominees either.  And I don't live in a bubble.  As I mentioned I read EW.  I'm online daily so I'm aware of current movies and actors.  But for whatever reason the academy is nominating people and movies that seem to be not known to a wide audience.  

I'm not much of a movie buff, so don't really pay that much attention. However, some years ago (no idea how many), I made the comment that it annoyed me that the most popular movies tended to get the most nominations. I wondered if the people who did the nominating even watched the lesser known movies.  And, that if there's a really bad script that someone acts super well in, that they ought to be recognized for it.

I used to like watching the Emmys as a kid (daytime and primetime) back when there were only 3 networks, so everyone had likely at least heard of every show.  

14 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I am now officially over it. 

I have not watched an award show in years.  They just aren't enjoyable anymore. They have become overproduced.  There used to be some cringe moments but they were fun.  Anyone remember Rob Lowe singing and dancing with Snow White?  Now all you can hope for is someone mispronouncing someone's name (John Travolta) or the presenters saying the wrong nominee as the winner (Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty)  And you will hear about those things within seconds of them happening on social media.

12 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Now I so rarely like any fashion considered “best dressed” that I don’t bother with photos of anyone other than the few I like.

They all have stylists now.  We will never see a Bjork dressed in a swan dress again.

6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I used to like watching the Emmys as a kid (daytime and primetime) back when there were only 3 networks, so everyone had likely at least heard of every show.  

I loved watching the daytime Emmys.  I watched a lot of soaps so there was a good chance the winners were actors I watched every day.  I also read the soap magazines and a lot of times they would know which episodes the actors had submitted.  With the Primetime Emmys do they ever disclose which episodes the actors submit? Because honestly sometimes there are real head scratching nominees.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

As far as the Oscar ratings go, the Academy needs to realize that the days of ratings like in 1998 have come and gone and they need to stop trying to make fetch happen.  The only people not in the industry who really seem to care anymore are the die hards.  Instead of worrying about popular categories maybe they need to do a better job of promoting the actual nominees.  None of them are particularly esoteric.  Where can people find them?  What are they about?  What makes a movie like Dune so technically impressive or a movie like West Side Story so visually pleasing?  Educate people on what to look for and help them start to make evaluations on their own.  Like the most things, it's always more fun when you have a dog in the fight.

You know, the Academy should let the people at TCM produce it.  At least the In Memoriam segment.

• Love 5

Ok, all the Rachel whoever boosters can calm down now.  *LOL*  For her first notable acting role, she's sure getting WAY more publicity than most newbies do! 

I also used to be a hard-core award show junkie.  But I'm going to say something shocking and probably very controversial:

The award shows haven't been the same entertainment since Joan Rivers died.

I loved her on the red carpet, obnoxiousness, rude questions and all.  I loved the day-after "Fashion Police" episodes.  I loved her dissecting the dresses, the hair, the jewels, the makeup.  My show joy departed when she died.  My interest is over.  

• Love 11
On 3/21/2022 at 3:16 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Not to mention that you’d have to sign a release so your image could be shown on television. 
That’s why I don’t ever want to be in a studio audience. I will save an exception for Jeopardy. 

What shows do you need to sign a waiver to be in the audience of? I have been to 2 TV show tapings in my life: Letterman in 2010 and local Seattle sketch comedy show Almost Live in 1997. For Letterman I just filled out a form with the dates I wanted and they called me with a trivia question and I got tickets. For Almost Live my buddy called and asked for tickets and we drove to Seattle and saw it. I am pretty sure in both cases you have to just assume you might end up on TV (for Almost Live the episode I saw is on YouTube and you can clearly see me in the audience). I also almost saw Letterman in 2004. That was before there was an online request form, so I sent in a postcard and never heard back. Then a friend and I went to NYC, and when I got home there was a message on my answering machine saying to call back if I still wanted tickets. 

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Last year’s Oscar program was so bad I was mad at myself for watching.  I will watch again this year but all the excitement went away for me when my father died. We used to watch the awards shows together. I can’t make myself watch sports any more either.

I am rooting for Will Smith though and Ariana Debose. I’m also glad Rachel has been invited. Yes she’s a newbie, but she has to take advantage of every opportunity to stay in the public consciousness. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

Personally, I think Kim's men woes have made me all the happier to be single! Who needs all those headaches and drama?

I am very grateful that I was never the kind of person who needed a boyfriend/husband to feel complete. I'm quite happy being alone. More so when I hear these stories. 

4 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I remember watching the award shows as a child and loving them, always upset I had to go to bed before it was over.  Then I moved to just checking the results the next morning with perhaps a look at a few best dressed lists.  Now I so rarely like any fashion considered “best dressed” that I don’t bother with photos of anyone other than the few I like.  And you can see any acceptance speech online so there is no need to suffer through the bloat.

I used to live for awards season. I loved getting dressed up and pretending I was there and all, rooting for my favorites etc. Now, I don't even know when they are or who has been nominated and honestly, I probably haven't seen/heard of half the nominees anyway. 

It's just a bunch of Hollywood millionaires jerking each other off and getting free gifts and clothes. 

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I am very grateful that I was never the kind of person who needed a boyfriend/husband to feel complete. I'm quite happy being alone. More so when I hear these stories. 

I have been a widow since 1997.  Not looking or wanting a/any man in my life. I can take care of myself and happily do so. I hire workers if I need anything done around the house.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Entertainment Weekly, when it was a weekly and when it was in print, would do an Oscar issue in the lead up to the show and each year they had a group of industry insiders talk about the nominees and who they would vote for.  They usually had an actor, a screenwriter, a producer and maybe an agent or a publicist or someone like that.  Half the fun was trying to figure out who they were because they didn't tell you their names. I loved reading what they found worthy of an Oscar and what they looked for to make them want to vote for a particular nominee. 

Also Barbara Walters used to have her Oscar special where she interviewed at least one of the nominees.

You always get into trouble when you try to appeal to a new audience while alienating your existing audience.

I'd go even further than this.  What do we watch a lot of nowadays?  Docuseries'.  Get a bunch of 30 for 30 level documentaries about the history of the Oscars.  Do an episode on each of technical categories and talk about the evolution of the craft.  Educate people what makes up good editing, production design, cinematography, etc.  Give people facts and stats.  (X% of the time the editing award goes with the best picture.)  Tell people what is nominated and how they can see it.  I know a lot of the movies that get nominated because it's a hobby of mine.  But I guarantee that no one in my circle has heard of Drive My Car.  Put those docs right on the Hulu homepage and run the epsiodes on ABC.  Get people talking.  That's going to do a whole lot more in the long run than having Tony Hawk present hair and makeup.  Don't get me wrong, Tony Hawk is cool, but I'd bet that if you're not inclined to watch the Oscars anyway then Tony Hawk isn't going to tip the scales.  I think you have to educate people and get them excited about the actual product.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Just me?  kthksbye  😆

I feel he exact same way. In what other profession do you have such self-promotion and awards?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

I feel he exact same way. In what other profession do you have such self-promotion and awards?

Personally I have a drawer full of confetti ready to throw for those days I actually manage to cross off all the items on my to-do list. Doesn’t everyone?

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, OllieSocks said:

Personally I have a drawer full of confetti ready to throw for those days I actually manage to cross off all the items on my to-do list. Doesn’t everyone?

party-confetti.gif

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

Most of them judging by how often heard various honors called the Oscars of ______. 

9 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Am I the only one that considers the various awards show to be nothing more than self-aggrandized marketing? I mean, they nominate the awards shows themselves ffs.

Nah.  I agree.  Someone on twitter called it a televised company party. Made sense,.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

This year's swag bag for nominees also includes a plot of land in Scotland.

How did Distinctive Assets get a hold of this land? Do they expect the receivers to actually drop by Scotland and inspect their new possessions? What size is it? Both overall and per person? Is it any good, or just deep bogs and bits of mountain?

Furthermore, are any of the receivers British? I want them to make a video showing off this new bit of real estate.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I think one of the biggest problems with award shows, too, and ratings is there are so many options for viewing. Not just the night of the awards but in general. I barely watch movies anymore--primarily because I started to feel like the only movies that got made were superhero movies and their endless, overlapping sequels, which I know is unfair, but I just don't give a shit about them. So, I watch a pretty steady diet of TV and actually vastly prefer it as far as storytelling goes, but there is so much television to work through that I still haven't seen things that I've wanted to watch for years. And I often end up rewatching favorites. 

My habit for years has always been to look up who got nominated and then who won for things like the Oscars because I'm nosy and like trivia but without watching them. 

Every now and then, I do get motivated to watch something because of an Oscar nomination/win. (I watched Minari last year for that reason and really enjoyed it.) But overall even if I'm intrigued by an Oscar nominated/winning film, it's at the bottom of a very long list of things I already want to see. Minari got priority because I live where it was filmed and set. It's the same for Emmys, though as I said, I do watch a lot of TV.

The idea that your movie or show got nominated for a major award doesn't really mean what it used to mean, and I think the fact that so many really good things get overlooked by award ceremonies also contributes to people's apathy. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Zella said:

I barely watch movies anymore--primarily because I started to feel like the only movies that got made were superhero movies and their endless, overlapping sequels, which I know is unfair, but I just don't give a shit about them.

Even if that was true, you will seldom see a genre movie/show get nominated for 'serious' awards. They might do well in technical categories (special effects, lighting, etc) but they don't really pick up acting and directing noms, much less awards. Both Paul Bettany and Elizabeth Olsen were nominated for primetime Emmys for their work in WandaVision last year, but he lost to Ewan McGregor and she lost to Kate Winslet. The Academy and their ilk remain snobbish in not giving due recognition to actors and actresses if they're dressed up in superhero costumes, so no matter how many movies get made, they're not the ones being picked to sweep an awards ceremony.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Even if that was true, you will seldom see a genre movie/show get nominated for 'serious' awards. They might do well in technical categories (special effects, lighting, etc) but they don't really pick up acting and directing noms, much less awards. Both Paul Bettany and Elizabeth Olsen were nominated for primetime Emmys for their work in WandaVision last year, but he lost to Ewan McGregor and she lost to Kate Winslet. The Academy and their ilk remain snobbish in not giving due recognition to actors and actresses if they're dressed up in superhero costumes, so no matter how many movies get made, they're not the ones being picked to sweep an awards ceremony.

It's less about them being awarded and more about that seems to be the bulk of discourse about movies in general. It makes me tune out most discussion of new movies because it doesn't interest me. The seemingly endless remakes of everything also bores the shit out of me. I'm well aware they're not the only movies being made, but they are what gets highlighted in discussions of contemporary movies. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Serious question - How did Kayne West become a billionaire?

The TLDR is his sneaker line, with other investments also contributing. Most of his wealth doesn't come from his music. Other sources disagree that he's worth this much money, but they all agree on the shoes/fashion lines being a significant aspect of his wealth. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/style/kanye-wests-net-worth-reportedly-jumps-to-6-6-billion-4153244/

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2