Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: RuPaulmark Channel

• Start Topic

Kandy’s runway was tragic. No way did she deserve top 3.  It looked so similar to her mini challenge runway episode 2.  And the make up is awful.  I know it’s really about who can make Ru laugh.  I’m still partial to the ‘losers’ group so I’m just bitter!

• Love 14

Denali did an amazing LSFYL!  Ru was right, that was fun to watch!

Speaking of Ru, I loved the reddish wig and the color of her gown tonight.  She looked beautiful!

Kandy is just loud and messy, and I can’t get past that, no matter how much anyone else may like her or how much the judges may praise her.  And I don’t think she needed to keep running her mouth about Elliott needing to be in the bottom.  Nobody asked for her opinion, did they?

I love Symone!  To me, she looks just like ANTM’s Aminat Ayinde.  I loved her character, too...”fac-tree”.  She’s one to watch.

I know Tamisha is nearly twice as old as some of these girls, and has children older than most (or all?) of them, but she seemed really pissed off during Untucked.  I wonder why.

Side by side of Aminat and Symone for comparison.

3947DFA6-4F78-421B-8553-7FC07F456116.jpeg

• Love 6

I think Denali’s LSFYL to the classic 💯 Pure Love was 90s-tastic fun. On the otherhand it was a hollow victory when you compare hers to the sterile performance Kimora gave, who kinda gave up. Kimora must have known that the chances for her to lipsync were pretty high, so why not wear an ensemble you can move around better in. It was a disservice to what could have been a more competitive and inspiring lipsync.

• Love 8

I was surprised that Kandy Muse a) wasn't bottom two for another shoddy runway look and b) had the nerve to deliver critiques to other queens. Very sad that the exquisite Khamora Hall went home. I would much rather a refined queen who is more reserved stay over an obnoxiously over-confident contestant like Silky.2. But that's how this show goes, season after season, so...

Tamisha Iman didn't seem particularly angry to me. She's 25 years older than a lot of them, was upset to see her performance wasn't as good as she'd felt it was when doing it, and she's had chemo! I'd be on the floor, fanning myself. Also, similarly, I prefer an observant queen to a loud mouth, so there's that.

There are nice moments, and I'm glad it's on, pandemic and all, but UK season 2 is so much more exciting to watch.

• Love 7

Denali: Lip synch assassin, indeed. That was inspired. Kind of ironic to see Kahmora just standing there like a big wooden tree. I don’t know why she didn’t make a tearaway skirt, because you just never know and should always be prepared, but I don’t think it would have mattered. Denali was just too good.  My advice to Kahmora is, take some improv classes (once such a thing exists again) to build performance skills and confidence, get a new boyfriend, and don’t worry about what your family thinks. If they can’t support you, they’re not real family. They’re just relatives.

Maybe I’m just partial to Tamisha, but I don’t know why she was so down on herself. Ross had to draw that performance out of her, but once she got it, she was great! 

Kandy can just STFU any time now. What’s the point of stirring up shit just to make your irrelevant opinion known? I really hope Elliott outlasts her, if only for spite.

Symone’s do-rag look was gorgeous. I actually do see Rihanna wearing that. And her performance (“feck-trih!”) really elevated what would otherwise have been a forgettable role. She’s definitely the one to beat.

Rosé is a sweetheart.

I was trying to figure out why they would need face masks outdoors, since outdoors is generally safer. I’m guessing it’s because crew was present, but does that mean there are no camera operators indoors? Are the cameras all mounted to the walls and ceiling?

• Love 7

Most of the queens weren't very good in the acting challenge, but that may have been the best runway the show has ever had.

Kandy apparently being in the top was ridiculous. Her look was so much worse than anyone else's. And she was fine in the challenge, but she didn't require any talent besides being loud. Tamisha should have been in the top instead of her.

Denali shouldn't have been in the bottom two, either. I think she was placed there because they knew she'd turn out a great lip sync.

• Love 6

So Kahmora is the Pork Chop Queen of the season.  She was stunning, but that look couldn't save her from that poor acting challenge.

Why does Kandy have such a problem with Elliott?  Looks like the other Queens are noticing this. 

Symone is drag hood and I love it! 

This runway was fire, with the exception of Rose and Kandy Muse.  Where are the jewels? Tamisha said that if it ain't jeweled, it ain't drag!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

So Kahmora is the Pork Chop Queen of the season.  She was stunning, but that look couldn't save her from that poor acting challenge.

Why does Kandy have such a problem with Elliott?  Looks like the other Queens are noticing this. 

Symone is drag hood and I love it! 

This runway was fire, with the exception of Rose and Kandy Muse.  Where are the jewels? Tamisha said that if it ain't jeweled, it ain't drag!

Kandy reminded me of the kind of person who puts a target on someone to distract people so they don’t think to put a target on her.  

Denali was unstoppable, but Kahmora didn’t even give herself a chance wearing a dress she couldn’t move in.  And I still can’t get over the difference in Rose in and out of drag.  Major make up artistry.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 9

I don't know who told Kandy that red and black are her colors but they were wrong.

This episode was tedious to me. So far this season, we have already sat through a full episode of "Where are all the other queens? okay now lip sync! Haha, you're going home!" times six, then the same "make up your own lyrics to a rupaul B side and dance" episode twice, and now an episode with essentially the same dumb skit three times. I get that the joke is that hallmark movies are all the same plot, but it only works to make fun of them like that if you're not boring the viewers in exactly the same way. Maybe I would feel less annoyed by the repetition if I hadn't been stuck in my own Groundhog Day since St. Patrick's Day of last year? But maybe not.

It was funny that Eliottwithtwots hid, but it would have been funnier if Vanjie hadn't already done that.

I don't know why queens come on this show with things they can't move around in or that can't be modified easily. 100% Pure Love is one of my favorite 90's dance songs but you kind of have to move to that song. Kahmora could have at least pogo'ed or something.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Both sketches were so awful, I had to fast-forward to the few snippets that weren't terrible. What a poor showing where a committed character and a funny pronunciation of "flag factory" could win the day. I can absolutely see Rhianna emailing her designers to figure out a du-rag train for her next red carpet appearance. 

I never want to see them in the bottom, but dang do I want to see Denali vs Symone. Whoever went up against Denali in ice skates may have scored the only lipsync win against her for the season. 

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, rozen said:

Both sketches were so awful, I had to fast-forward to the few snippets that weren't terrible. What a poor showing where a committed character and a funny pronunciation of "flag factory" could win the day. I can absolutely see Rhianna emailing her designers to figure out a du-rag train for her next red carpet appearance. 

I never want to see them in the bottom, but dang do I want to see Denali vs Symone. Whoever went up against Denali in ice skates may have scored the only lipsync win against her for the season. 

I still think the pork chops were the real winners of the lipsyncs.  

• Love 14

I felt sorry for Elliott.  I believe the only reason why Kandy came for her was because the B team chose to eliminate her, so she knew there wouldn't be any push back.  It was like picking the lowest hanging fruit.  I am having a problem with the judging, because I don't think Denali deserved to be in the bottom and Kandy shouldn't have been in the top 3.  

• Love 11

I told y'all last week that Kahmora had nothing but a pretty face and style and damn, if she didn't prove me right! She made a wooden tree wooden! Kandy can leave any time now too. Whoever christened her Silky 2 is right on. Dislike her to the Nth degree.

• Love 7

I was shocked that no one clocked Rose for her second loofah-based runway look. Gurl, if you're planning to do a full collection, I have a huge stack of BB&B 20% off coupons you're welcome to.

It's an unfair albatross to lay around her neck, but I can't help being reminded of last season's She Who Shall Not Be Named when I see Tina Burner. Tina seems fun (as does the rest of the cast with the possible exception of Kandy), but I'm surprised such a seasoned queen seems to have an often shoddy hair/wig line.

Olivia is so adorable! To the people on here who said she looks like Anna Nicole Smith and Eartha Kitt - I agree on both!

• Love 7

I'm liking - not loving - this group.  Kandy is messy and my least favorite, but I don't hate her yet, either.

Denali slayyyyed that LSFYL.

Symone slayyyyed the challenge.

Really liking Rose, so far.

Kahmora is gorgeous and sweet, but clearly the weakest - at least, to me.

I'm kinda surprised that Joey Jay wasn't in the bottom 3.  Must've just made the "safe" cut.

Edited by filmfan2480
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

It's an unfair albatross to lay around her neck, but I can't help being reminded of last season's She Who Shall Not Be Named when I see Tina Burner. 

Me, too.  And it doesn't help that she twice has taken inventory of who is single.

• Love 7

The whole season has been tedious for me thus far. I really don't appreciate all the attempts to create drama. It's way too transparent. I am also bothered over the lack of Covid measures. I am so used from German TV to see people sitting behind glas, to see shows without audience aso, that I cringe when I see how irresponsible RuPaul is.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, swanpride said:

The whole season has been tedious for me thus far. I really don't appreciate all the attempts to create drama. It's way too transparent. I am also bothered over the lack of Covid measures. I am so used from German TV to see people sitting behind glas, to see shows without audience aso, that I cringe when I see how irresponsible RuPaul is.

Well, Ru quarantined the queens together, provided clear face shields for them to go outside during Untucked, there is shielding between the judges on the panel, who probably quarantined themselves before taping.  That's probably why the "single" checks are going through the cast, because all they see is each other.

• Love 2

First, the grammar police would like to have a word with whoever designed and approved the graphics for this episode.

1749611435_rpdr1.thumb.jpg.41a45e1d0e28090f64933d0fafbba99b.jpg

1472367074_rpdr2.thumb.jpg.da6e128a1f5caa2ace51e1a4e6b4eb36.jpg

1506746273_rpdr3.thumb.jpg.f8ec264ad35882b58cb50f42185f39df.jpg

I don't know why people think that if there's an S at the end of the word then there has to be apostrophe before it.

Denali's feathered runway look was giving me Vegas showgirl vibes which I loved.

Olivia's Amadeus look was an interesting take but that train was too small and not dramatic enough.

Elliott's white lace bodysuit was boring but that big ruffled train is what I had in mind when I heard this week's runway theme.

I liked the dragon theme of Kahmora's look but I wish there had been more drama or volume to her train.

I loved that light turquoise color on Symone, and I totally loved how she effortlessly skipped over the back of her train when she turned around.

I didn't love LaLa Ri's snakeskin pattern but I really liked how the train flowed behind her - great fabric choice.

Utica's Carol Burnett inspired piece was great.

Rosé's runway outfit looked like a realtor from the 80s stapled a bunch of shower poufs to her power suit (and those stupid poufs were too similar to the pink and blue poufs on her previous runway look).

Gottmik's bedazzled leaf blower made me laugh. You don't need Beyoncé's wind machine when you have one of those!

It's only week 3 and Tina Burner is already giving me Sh***y Pie vibes with her runway looks.

Joey Jay's black and red look was fine from the knee up. I hated the baggy boots.

Kandy's train seemed like a bridesmaid dress that's intentionally made long so that it can be hemmed to fit whoever buys it. It was obviously longer than floor length but it didn't seem long enough or dramatic enough to be a train.

Tamisha Iman's pink train was great. I loved how sparkly it was and the ruffled edge made it look very finished. She looks gorgeous in that color too.

Kahmora was so unnatural in her skit. When Ross asked her to emphasize only "rooting" à la Tyra and Kahmora kept doing it the original way, it reminded me of when Phoebe was trying to teach Joey how to speak French and he said it all sounded the same to him.

I am here for 100% Pure Love! Kahmora just gave up in that LSFYL. I know she said the train was heavy but she didn't even try to do anything about it. I would have walked in a circle to gather the train then bent down and picked up the end and thrown it over my shoulder or something. You can't just stand there in one spot during a dance song like that!

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

First, the grammar police would like to have a word with whoever designed and approved the graphics for this episode.

I don't know why people think that if there's an S at the end of the word then there has to be apostrophe before it.

In this case, I believe it's because those were the characters' names.  Misery Love owned a company that grew roses.  April Fool had a shop called Rush In.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

clear face shields are nearly completely useless. They don't help against covid at all, because the air (and therefore also the virus) flows around them. They avoid the spitting, but that is really all of them.

Yeah, Ru and the judges are protected, but the Queens are NOT. They interact with a lot of crew during the day, and I really doubt that all the crew is isolated, too. Since this isn't a big Brother set-up, the responsible thing would have been to keep it to two separate groups, at two different sides of the runway during the lip sync, at separate stations to prepare themselves and just in general AWAY from each other and from the crew as much as possible. It is really hard to watch how little care it is taken.

Every time I'm seen a shot of the crew they have been masked.  

Who is JBC?  The handsome man who popped into the end of the skits?

I agree that the apostrophes were used because of the name of the character, not a typo (and that would drive me crazy also if I cared enough to read the signs during the show...LOL!).

Though Denali's LSFYL was fantastic, but I wasn't sure if it was so amazing or just so amazing compared to Khamora's stiff performance.  Still knew she was going to win because it was very entertaining.  I did have a problem with her blending on her (Denali's) makeup though - but because she was impersonating a bird thought that line along her jawline was deliberate...but very distracting.

Kandy...meh...but she does manufacture drama so she's probably going to be around a while.

The terrible acting didn't bother me because wasn't that the point of the challenge?

Edited by RoxiP
Random add on thought.
  • Love 2

I don't know the exact protocols this show took, but I do have some sense of what SAG/AFTRA basically asked for, and what LA has told TV productions to do. While it's entirely possible this show is breaking those rules, if they're following the general protocols set out for this type of show, there is probably a COVID-czar on set who is very strictly keeping track of stuff, the cast and judges were all isolated for two weeks before filming, they were tested multiple times during the initial quarantine and continue to be tested every other day while filming. When cameras are off they're likely required to be masked (even though it sort of makes no sense since they're unmasked indoors so much, but that's the rule I've seen). I don't know if the crew was required to isolate too or not, but the crew appears to be consistently double-masked at all times, and are likely being tested frequently. But basically a whole lot goes into making it look as normal as possible, while not actually being normal at all.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Yes. Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman. I just didn't want to type out his whole name because I'm lazy, lol. He's one of the judges on Drag Race Canada and is also the guy from Snatch Game of Love and various other cameos.

• Useful 1
On 1/22/2021 at 9:49 PM, 30 Helens said:

Kandy can just STFU any time now. What’s the point of stirring up shit just to make your irrelevant opinion known? I really hope Elliott outlasts her, if only for spite.

This! 

They keep talking winners vs. losers, but I felt like the first round LS was just random.  I thought the point was to keep the groups separate for COVID restrictions, but then they brought everyone back together, so it was just more show drama.  ‘Cause I don’t see how Kandy/Silky II won the first round.

ETA Selfishly, I would’ve loved to have seen more of Khamora's looks on the runway...

Edited by For Cereals
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, For Cereals said:

This! 

They keep talking winners vs. losers, but I felt like the first round LS was just random.  I thought the point was to keep the groups separate for COVID restrictions, but then they brought everyone back together, so it was just more show drama. 

This season is super-long. If they did an elimination each episode, they would run out of queens.

I think doing the lip syncs in ep 1, and then dividing them into two groups for the next two was just a way to pad out the season. (It would have been strange to do three non-elimination episodes with all the queens competing in each one.)

• Love 1

I'm actually really enjoying this season, then again I haven't watched since season 10. (though I did keep up with Fashion Photo Ruview) I didn't have access for a while and when I got it back I started season 11 but I couldn't binge it bc Silky got on my last nerve, got about 4 episodes in and skipped to the finale and reunited. Tried season 12 but it was after all the stuff about SP came out and it was just uncomfortable to watch so I gave it up too.

I think the only queen I'm just not liking so far is Kandy and even she doesn't annoy me as much as Silky did though she could certainly get there. 

Ru looked stunning this week, that wig color was sensational on her.

• Love 3
On 1/23/2021 at 12:49 AM, 30 Helens said:and don’t worry about what your family thinks. If they can’t support you, they’re not real family. They’re just relatives.

Phew. I’ve never heard this before & it HIT ME. 

Symone vaulted herself to the front of the line for me this episode, she is everything! 

Still not sure why Kandi isn't annoying me yet since Silky quickly got off my good side. 

Flag fac-tree still has me giggling three days later. Heh heh heh 

• Love 2
On 1/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, Dewey Decimate said:

Olivia is so adorable! To the people on here who said she looks like Anna Nicole Smith and Eartha Kitt - I agree on both!

She has an amazing smile, both in and out of drag.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:37 PM, filmfan2480 said:

I'm kinda surprised that Joey Jay wasn't in the bottom 3.  Must've just made the "safe" cut.

Maybe he got points for wearing a wig!

On 1/24/2021 at 10:15 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yes-that drove me crazy! Sometimes a plural is just a plural! (And I noticed the closed-captioning read "Misery Love's Company.")  

On 1/24/2021 at 10:39 AM, Sile said:

In this case, I believe it's because those were the characters' names.  Misery Love owned a company that grew roses.  April Fool had a shop called Rush In.

You are being very charitable in your interpretation! (But you might be correct.)

More of a quibble-but Ru kept saying Groundhogs Day (or perhaps Groundhog's Day or Groundhogs' Day) when talking to Ross.  It's just plain "Groundhog Day", like the movie.

I was waiting for someone to riff on the other meaning of "train".  I should have known it would be Tina.

When Elliott asked Utica why she voted to eliminate her, the obvious answer was that it came down to the two of them, and she wasn't going to vote herself off.  The question really made no sense, unless she was asking about voting in an earlier round.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2021 at 10:21 PM, CraftyHazel said:

Denali did an amazing LSFYL!  Ru was right, that was fun to watch!

Speaking of Ru, I loved the reddish wig and the color of her gown tonight.  She looked beautiful!

Kandy is just loud and messy, and I can’t get past that, no matter how much anyone else may like her or how much the judges may praise her.  And I don’t think she needed to keep running her mouth about Elliott needing to be in the bottom.  Nobody asked for her opinion, did they?

I love Symone!  To me, she looks just like ANTM’s Aminat Ayinde.  I loved her character, too...”fac-tree”.  She’s one to watch.

I know Tamisha is nearly twice as old as some of these girls, and has children older than most (or all?) of them, but she seemed really pissed off during Untucked.  I wonder why.

Side by side of Aminat and Symone for comparison.

3947DFA6-4F78-421B-8553-7FC07F456116.jpeg

THANK YOU! I knew Symone reminded me of someone but I couldn't figure out who! 

• Love 1
On 1/24/2021 at 12:46 PM, RoxiP said:

Every time I'm seen a shot of the crew they have been masked.  

I agree that the apostrophes were used because of the name of the character, not a typo (and that would drive me crazy also if I cared enough to read the signs during the show...LOL!).

Though Denali's LSFYL was fantastic, but I wasn't sure if it was so amazing or just so amazing compared to Khamora's stiff performance.  Still knew she was going to win because it was very entertaining.  I did have a problem with her blending on her (Denali's) makeup though - but because she was impersonating a bird thought that line along her jawline was deliberate...but very distracting.

Kandy...meh...but she does manufacture drama so she's probably going to be around a while.

The terrible acting didn't bother me because wasn't that the point of the challenge?

Kahmora is beautiful and her fashion is amazing but her performance was definitely lackluster. She was only relying on her beauty. Denali has the IT factor for me...hope she wins some upcoming competitions. 

Symone is a star!!! She's one of my faves along with Denali. 

I'm predicting that Kandy is going to start some drama soon...hmmm! Her look was atrocious. 

I think Kandy is looking for drama too.  My predicted order for the remaining queens:

12. Joey Jay

11. Elliott with 2 Ts

10. Kandy Muse

9. Uttica Queen

8. Tamisha Iman

7. LaLa Ri

6. Gottmik

5. Rose

4. Olivia Lux

3. Tina Burner

2. Denali

Winner:  Symone

• Love 1

The problem with Looks Queens is that they watch the show and only see the runway portion. They make the calculation that if they focus on the perfect makeup and spectacular outfits, they can make it to the end. This is a BAD calculation. Quick wits, humor and flexibility along with a strong personality will take you much further with Ru. You may be read by Whatshername for what you wear, but Ru will cut you some slack until you give up.  

I'm not a huge Denali fan yet, but I'm really obsessed with this LSFYL. Damn, it was good. What I love about it is she saves the splits for the final beat of the song and is just pure dance and emotion throughout. No huge tricks! Just straight performance.

• Love 2

I realize this isn't a new critique but... while I genuinely do enjoy seeing all of those gorgeous outfits on the runway, I'm not really sure what the runway challenge is really measuring/assessing about the queens at this point, other than who can afford or borrow the most fantastic fashion?

• Love 1