Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: There

• Start Topic

On 2/9/2021 at 7:07 PM, bettername2come said:

Oh my god, Kevin! Eyes on the road! Credit to director and agent for seeming at least to be not completely uncaring when they first talked to him,  but seriously, he's a first-time father with babies coming early, be more understanding! I realize there's extra context making Kevin even more nervous, but the regular context is enough. I hated the director when he told him to turn around. 

If Kevin leaves canada, he will have to quarantine for two weeks before he can return.  Of course if DeNiro leaves instead of waiting around for Kevin, he too will have to quarantine two weeks. I doubt this "little indie film" has a budget that can handle that.  Kevin wants the birth to be a perfect moment. He hasn't figured out that parenthood is not made up of, nor based on, perfect moments.  I think he should have stayed the few hours needed to do his scene.  He has probably sabotaged his career, which is needed to support Madison and the babies.  As the man he rescued from the car crash said, it will make no difference to the babies.  Madison encouraged him to take the role, so it's not his fault he can't be there. 

But the writers had to create this drama, AND have three babies born on the same day--presumably two boys and a girl .

Edited by MBayGal
typo
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, MBayGal said:

But the writers had to create this drama, AND have three babies born on the same day--presumably two boys and a girl .

Not unless one of those kids changes gender.  As Kate and Toby's baby is a girl and Kevin and Maddison are expecting one each.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Seriously, did no one do any research for this episode?

On top of that, Bellingham, north of Seattle, has an International Airport with flights to LAX.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Or else the next day's news is the wildfire going on near Seattle...

Paging Station 19....

8 hours ago, memememe76 said:

There have been instances where male athletes have missed games to be there for the delivery of their baby. The producers should have been prepared for these situations.

By the same token, actors (and directors/cinematographers/screenwriters/etc.) have been replaced on movies for far less. And entire scenes have been refilmed with the new actor.  Not saying the director was right, but it happens.

Poor young Jack.  "I only gave up one run."  Sorry, Jack, but that's not how baseball works.

Just out of curiosity, I thought I saw Jack's dad's beer can with a pull tab on it.  Were those around?  I thought they were a creation of the 70s.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

On top of that, Bellingham, north of Seattle, has an International Airport with flights to LAX.

There is a lot of flack I'll give the writers in this episode but I'm going to give the writers some slack on this particular issue.  There is no reason that Miguel would know that Bellingham had an international airport with flights to LAX.  That's one of many reasons you don't get Miguel to book your fights.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, MBayGal said:

If Kevin leaves canada, he will have to quarantine for two weeks before he can return.  Of course if DeNiro leaves instead of waiting around for Kevin, he too will have to quarantine two weeks. I doubt this "little indie film" has a budget that can handle that.  Kevin wants the birth to be a perfect moment. He hasn't figured out that parenthood is not made up if, nor based on, perfect moments.  I think he should have stayed the few hours needed to do his scene.  He has probably sabotaged his career, which is needed to support Madison and the babies.  As the man he rescued from the car crash said, it will make no difference to the babies.  Madison encouraged him to take the role, so it's not his fault he can't be there. 

I agree with the last part, the writers seem to want to connect the stories. As for the first part, I think it is very realistic, really. Very few people REALLY prepare for things like that. Kevin did have some second thoughts about the film, he decided to go, but he and Madison made a thought out decision and, as in may things we do in life, with a dose of faith/hope that things would work as planned. To me, the story was pretty realistic. Apart from stopping to save someone in a car crash - laudable, but I guess most people would drive until there was cell phone coverage - his reactions, quitting in a moment of stress, the several phone calls, that's all very possible for anyone who is in the moment. We watch a story and think - he should/shouldn't have done this, he could have thought, but that's not how stress works. Kevin was stressed, anxious, he wanted - maybe being a bit of a "dreamer" - a "perfect" birth event. His sort of desperation is what many of us experience when something we plan so carefully (or we think we do because humans do sometimes put hope a little above possible setbacks) seems to be going wrong. I had many moments in my life when this happened. Not as dramatic since my life is not a TV show, but small things can be equally frustrating and usually are, sometimes creating a snowball of things that were unplanned and that makes me curse the universe, as if everything is against me.

As much as the writers mess up a lot in the storylines, the continuity, I think this episode was pretty good in general. I am totally ok with ignoring the "unexplored possibilities that would have made everything perfect" - for one, that wouldn't be dramatic enough for a DRAMA show. And second, the acting and the essence of how humans react to unpredictability were pretty realistic to me

• Love 13
23 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The Jack/Kevin flashbacks were ok. I love Kid Turned Teen Kevin, and I was hoping for any Kevin plot with his father, since we usually get Jack/Kate. His coach is obviously a dick, but I don't buy the coach being so scared by Jack's more casual "don't call my son stupid again". 

The coach likely didn't expect Kevin to tell his dad that the coach would belittle and call him stupid.  Now that he knows, he'll be more careful with the boys he coaches. Kevin may have been the scapegoat, but it's likely he'd treated other boys badly too.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, circumvent said:

- his reactions, quitting in a moment of stress, the several phone calls, that's all very possible for anyone who is in the moment. We watch a story and think - he should/shouldn't have done this, he could have thought, but that's not how stress works. Kevin was stressed, anxious, he wanted - maybe being a bit of a "dreamer" - a "perfect" birth event. His sort of desperation is what many of us experience when something we plan so carefully (or we think we do because humans do sometimes put hope a little above possible setbacks) seems to be going wrong. I had many moments in my life when this happened. Not as dramatic since my life is not a TV show, but small things can be equally frustrating and usually are, sometimes creating a snowball of things that were unplanned and that makes me curse the universe, as if everything is against me.

I got that Kevin was overwhelmed, but honestly, to me, his reaction would have made more sense for someone much younger.  I viewed him as essentially throwing a giant tantrum with his agent and the director.  The agent is probably used to temperamental actors, but I would think Kevin's behavior with the director would have real consequences for his career.  This is, of course, presuming that this won't be like ER all those years ago, where George Clooney's character was essentially fired by the hospital, then dramatically saved a boy stuck in a sewer(?) which ended up saving his job.  

• Love 1

My mom told me that for one of her kids' births, my dad was really annoyed that he might miss Miami Vice, and in the delivery room he kept turning the TV on and the doctor kept turning it back off. I suppose there are two lessons here: 1) my mom was not nearly picky enough in her husband selection, and 2) having the father in the delivery room might not be a guaranteed comfort. My own husband was so nervous he ended up at one point laughing at my moans of agony. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I went into labor three months early.  After they got me settled for the night, husband discovered his pregnant female boss had left a message to ask if he would go out of town for a few days, since I was “safe” in the hospital now.  To boss’s credit, when husband called back to say no, she had just been admitted to the hospital with issues and apologized for asking.  Early 2000’s.  Luckily we know Kevin is fine with the flash-forward so I am not too worried about him ruining his career.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 1

Nice attempt to misdirect, Show. Didn't believe for a second that Kevin had the accident - what, his wallet was thrown clear?

Poor, abused Young Jack.  When I was that age I was so eager to drive that I'd have paid for The Old Man's beers.

Kevin must have some serious pull in Hollywood, with this cavalier attitude that he has towards his career.  Didn't he blow off the premier party of another movie he was in a season or two ago? It seems like if this happened in real life there might be some legal action in his future.  I get it; premature labor, twins, Madison has no one else in the entire world to get her through, and the deified shadow of Saint Jack looms large, but a contract is a contract.  Maybe Kevin's rich enough to reimburse the producers for the lost shooting time and he'll name one of the kids De Niro to soothe Bobby's damaged ego.

Newly enlightened, un-embittered Randall to the rescue. Pearson monologues are better than any epidural.   

• LOL 9

Kevin is already known in the entertainment industry as unreliable. He walked off the set of The Manny in the middle of filming an episode, he walked off the stage of a play before its premiere, and now he's walked off a film before a major shoot. I'm figuring that the guy he rescued is  a tech billionaire who is going to create an indie production company for Kevin to run. Kevin's Oscar isn't going to be for acting; he's going to win for producing a Best Picture, which, of course, will be The Life of St. Jack.

• LOL 11
  • Love 6

We see in the flashforward that Kevin has built Jack's dream house next to the family's cabin in Pennsylvania.  He is living there taking care of a dying Rebecca with his twins.  I do think Kevin's penchant for unexpectedly bailing on a project catch up to him, but he will be fine financially.  Madison also asked Kevin to take the time in Vancouver to make sure he was 100% committed to her and their family.  I think the show is now setting up Kevin for his break with acting to become a family man.  

Of course, the show may gloss over this, yet again, and Kevin's story unfolds differently.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I got that Kevin was overwhelmed, but honestly, to me, his reaction would have made more sense for someone much younger.  I viewed him as essentially throwing a giant tantrum with his agent and the director.  The agent is probably used to temperamental actors, but I would think Kevin's behavior with the director would have real consequences for his career.  This is, of course, presuming that this won't be like ER all those years ago, where George Clooney's character was essentially fired by the hospital, then dramatically saved a boy stuck in a sewer(?) which ended up saving his job.

I disagree. My point is that stress does not discriminate between old/young, mature/immature. It is much more related to the moment in our lives, and our own expectations for that moment (day, week, etc). I am old, much older than "Kevin" and I can go through similar "tantrums" (to use your term) for little things. Of course, the consequences are also smaller in comparison to the risks he is taking but all my so-called wisdom of the years does not prevent me from overreacting or over stressing when one little thing happens at the most terrible time of a particular day that is already stressful for me.

Since this is a drama show, I think it was well done and in character for Kevin

Doug Ross saved the kid and got his job back because it was bad PR for the hospital to fire the hero of the moment - the story was all over the news. Whatever they decide will happen in Kevin's case it will not be similar - unless Josh Malina ends up being a super powerful guy who goes on TV to thank Manny, who missed the birth of is kids because he saved his life. If this happens, my post about the outcome will be very different in tone from today's post. Recycling stories from old shows is one of the laziest things on TV, and it happens a lot already.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Jack was at the hospital the whole time though. Maybe they made him leave the room (especially likely if they knocked Rebecca out), but he was right outside the room. He wasn't hundreds of miles away in another country. 

Yes, he was in the hospital, but I don't really consider that being there for their birth since he was in another room. It wasn't his choice though. I guess it's just different definitions. 

16 hours ago, MissLucas said:

This bugs me since season one! We never got to see how Kate and Kevin reacted when finding out. We only got to see Randall when that horrid neighbor told him. But this should have been as much Kate and Kevin's plot and yet we got zilch! 

I've always wanted to see this too. I've had a stillborn baby, she was a singleton, but her following sister and brothers talk about her and express sadness over not having her with us. I imagine losing your triplet (possibly Kevin's identical twin) would be an extra layer to the conversation. Oftentimes people can have survivor's guilt, even from what happened in the womb, I could see it being a lot for all the big 3 to uncover in therapy

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/10/2021 at 9:43 AM, kili said:

No, the I5 is at least 4 lanes and usually more.

Just wondering if you’re from California, because nobody who lives in the Seattle area for long refers to it as “the” I-5, just I-5.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, nixgirl28 said:
1 hour ago, nixgirl28 said:

Oftentimes people can have survivor's guilt, even from what happened in the womb, I could see it being a lot for all the big 3 to uncover in therapy

But wait, the third triplet didnt really die. He has been with Randall's birth mother all along. Randall will find him soon

• LOL 15
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Kevin is already known in the entertainment industry as unreliable. He walked off the set of The Manny in the middle of filming an episode, he walked off the stage of a play before its premiere, and now he's walked off a film before a major shoot. I'm figuring that the guy he rescued is  a tech billionaire who is going to create an indie production company for Kevin to run. Kevin's Oscar isn't going to be for acting; he's going to win for producing a Best Picture, which, of course, will be The Life of St. Jack.

I'm surprised he doesn't have a reputation as being the "angry quitter" and still gets roles.  In movies featuring big stars or directed by major directors.  In real life, he'd be cancelled.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 2/11/2021 at 12:40 PM, CarpeFelis said:

Just wondering if you’re from California, because nobody who lives in the Seattle area for long refers to it as “the” I-5, just I-5.

Ahem, Southern California. The "the" is a SoCal thing. NorCals don't use the "the" either.

Edited by RachelKM
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 2/9/2021 at 10:51 PM, memememe76 said:

Kevin’s phone said he was 57 minutes from SeaTac, so he would have been across the border by that point (I live in Vancouver). But I would have thought his passport would be in his bag or car. I get losing one’s wallet but you normally don’t carry your passport on your body. 

I assume he had a passport card, which is good for traveling to Canada or Mexico, in his wallet.  No need to carry his full passport for travel between the US and Canada: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

8 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

Ahem, Southern California. The "the" is a SoCal thing. NorCals don't use the "the" ether.

It was just "the 5" when I lived there.  We might have said "the 5 freeway" if we were giving someone directions or something.  Coming from "back East", it took me a while to get used to that when I first moved there.  I thought it was a West Coast thing.  

6 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

It was just "the 5" when I lived there.  We might have said "the 5 freeway" if we were giving someone directions or something.  Coming from "back East", it took me a while to get used to that when I first moved there.  I thought it was a West Coast thing.  

That's true.  I haven't lived down there in a while.  Up here we just say "5" "80" "101" etc.  No "the" and usually no designation of road type (i.e. highway/interstate).   When I lived in Arizona it was just I-#, for instance I-10, or Highway #. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I'm surprised he doesn't have a reputation as being the "angry quitter" and still gets roles.  In movies featuring big stars or directed by major directors.  In real life, he'd be cancelled.

I suspect that his stint in rehab offset any discussion of his being difficult.

His drunk driving would be his worst offence, in my view.

I, as a fan of entertainnment news, would not be upset if major celebrity Kevin Pearson ran from his set in Vancouver to meet with his fiancee who is delivering twin babies earlier than normal during a pandemic, particularly if the story involving Charisma Carpenter arose the same time. I guess I don't view this as the same as that country music person and that woman in those Star Wars productions.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I'm guessing directors are used to dealing with temperamental actors too. And this director seemed pretty annoying in past episodes, so I would think other actors have flipped out on him over things.

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I don't know, there are actors in real life known for being divas who still get roles. If they think fans will pay to see his movies, they will cast him. It may get harder, but I feel like they have done this story (rebuilding his career) with Kevin several times now. I hope they don't do it again.

• Love 4

The thing that makes no sense to me is that nobody on set seems to have been aware that Kevin's partner/fiancée is pregnant. And this goes back to the haphazard manner the show treats Kevin's celebrity status. Sometimes he's a hot-shot actor who has to worry about showing up on TMZ for climbing over fence and in another he can discuss his love-life with his sister in the middle of a grocery store. But even if he's not an A-lister and the lady who took a selfie of him and Madison is the rare unicorn who kept it to herself - what sort of working environment is that set that nobody knew?

• Love 7

I skipped all the "past" parts. They have become really tiring and annoying. The rest of the episode made me nervous and uneasy. There was no reason for Kevin to leave everything in order to be there for the birth of his babies. His director told him he could leave in 7 hours but that was not good enough for him. So stupid. Almost kill yourself and others on the road. And don't let me start with him wanting to pass the checking in at the airport with no ID..

Madison's acting was really bad or do I hate her that much? She didn't even have tears when she was supposed to be crying.

• Love 5
On 2/9/2021 at 10:25 PM, txhorns79 said:

It's This is Us.  The security lady will probably turn out to be Randall's birth mother's sister's college roommate who once lent Rebecca a pen to write a check to pay the home insurance for the house right before it burned down. 

I just rolled my eyes throughout Kevin's storyline.  It would be nice if he actually suffered real consequences for being extremely nasty to the director, who really did not deserve the vitriol.  What Kevin (and the show) seems to forget is that the world does not revolve around him.  The director offered a reasonable compromise (i.e. to finish Kevin's scene and get him out the next morning), and this was before Kevin even knew what was going on with Madison. Also, Madison, if you aren't close with any family members and you have no close friends except Kevin (someone you barely knew before you became pregnant with his child) and Kate, what in the world have you been doing in LA for the past five years? 

Yeah, I didn't necessarily think Kevin's handling of the situation was right, especially since he made the choice to leave. Births, especially twins being born to a mother with some up and down medical history, are not always predictable so this was always a possibility.

And it's not just DeNiro that's going to be put out, there's an entire crew and film schedule. Madison wasn't in immediate danger or distress and in fact seems like she'll be cooling her heels in a hospital bed for the next day or so. Yes, it's a situation with the potential to go badly, but nothing had happened yet when he went charging off the set.

I guess it just seems like the show is trying to have it both ways. Kevin's the big hero for trying so hard to get to Madison, but why did he leave in the first place?? 

Since Madison is basically alone, I guess she couldn't do this "on her own" if she wanted too or suggested. It's hard on anyone single, but twins without family or anyone around? I wonder if they will explore why she's estranged but please no episode devoted to it!

LOL, I think you just gave someone an idea of how to continue to stretch the This is Us universe to include every possible back story ever.

The scene with Randall and Beth calling Madison was sweet, but I kept waiting for Beth to speak up. It just seemed like the best way to put Madison at ease would be for the woman who's had 2 kids to chime in with some kind of reassurance or something. 

I liked the Jack/Kevin storyline, maybe just because I miss the flashbacks a little. The last few episodes have been so focused on the present, it was nice to see an old-fashioned Jack Pearson moment.

• Love 3

I’ll preface this by saying I really don’t care for the Madison character (or actress, if I’m being honest.  She just annoys me on this show, I know nothing about her outside TIU).  I thought she was not helping matters with Kevin at all and adding stress to an already tense situation.   I HATED every scene with Kevin from the moment she made the first phone call to him.  She did nothing to de-escalate his panic she fed into it by being a selfish whine bag.  I cringed with him flipping out on his director, that entire drive was a fatal accident just waiting to happen due to distracted driving.  Madison had plenty of time to prepare for many different birth scenarios and should have had a back up or contingency plan.  She should never have expected Kevin to be able to make it to her in a matter of hours from a different country where he was working.  She has not ONE other person besides Kate or Kevin that could have been in stand by?  She’s only been friends with Kate for a few years, before that she was a compete hermit?  I just absolutely hate how she is so manipulative and fragile and over dramatic.  She could have said at least once to Kevin, please be safe, please be smart.  But nope it was like she was going to give birth immediately and if he wasn’t there he was a failure.   Once she was stabilized and had the doctors exam she should have been clear with Kevin that he DID have time to get there and just to do his best to get there as quickly and safely as he could.  I truly hope they are not end game or long term together, I think she brings him down.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, RachelKM said:

Up here we just say "5" "80" "101" etc.  No "the" and no usually designation of road type (i.e. highway/interstate). 

And further yet, as told to me by a CHP friend, SoCal CHP refer to them as The Hollywood Freeway,  Ventura Freeway, Long Beach Freeway, etc.  As long as everyone is on the same page.

• Love 1

On 2/10/2021 at 2:41 AM, RachelKM said:

But if that's still true and Kevin had planned to fly from Vancouver he would have had to have full passport.  It's sort of dumb that he didn't just say his passport was in his coat that he used on the crash victim. 

these storylines are just getting dumber and more unbelievable.  I would of had him rushing to make his flight at Vancouver Airport in a rainstorm, in the dark, car driving just on fumes, crossing my fingers that we didn't run out of gas on the bridge... OK so that was my story but it was more tense and dramatic then what I just watched lol!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I'm figuring that the guy he rescued is  a tech billionaire who is going to create an indie production company for Kevin to run. Kevin's Oscar isn't going to be for acting; he's going to win for producing a Best Picture, which, of course, will be The Life of St. Jack.

Or he's a tech billionaire who already owns a film studio (like Jeff Bezos) and lets Kevin star in/direct/produce any project he wants for the rest of his working life. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

My favorite part of this episode was young Kevin and Jack. One of the things I do like about Jack as a character is that he’s clearly flawed (the alcoholism, insecurities etc) but he is utterly devoted to being the best husband/father/man he can. Even the best parents in the world aren’t perfect humans, although they are trying because they want the best for their kids. 

I did feel awful for Madison, I can’t imagine how scared and nervous she is. I am a little surprised she has NO ONE else she could call and she has lived in LA for years? No friends before Kate? If one of my female friends called me and said they were in labor and had no one with them I would put on my clothes (and mask) and go- I wouldn’t want them to be alone. (Unless they wanted to be- whatever the person in labor wants)

Yes I have a feeling that Kevin’s twins, and the baby being born will be Jack’s little sister we saw in the season 4 opener- and they will have the same birthday. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Or he's a tech billionaire who already owns a film studio (like Jeff Bezos) and lets Kevin star in/direct/produce any project he wants for the rest of his working life. 😉

Oh silly me, of course Kevin will be rewarded for stomping  out of his job, not face any consequences.   He's a Pearson!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

It occurs to me, it would have worked a little better if they had Kevin respond to the original suggestion by the director with, I can't wait until the morning and have the director say they'd get right on it and find the quickest travel possible and to head to the set and Kevin at least tried.  Honestly, there is almost no way Kevin could have locked in enough to do what was apparently the power scene of the story (you don't pay for DiNero for a casual cameo) freaking out about his kids.  So, the director really wasn't thinking things through either.  But Kevin yelling and bolting  - with no plan - was not a good look.

• Love 7

Nope. Neither a Californian nor a Seattle-ite. IDK. "The I5" sounds right to me, so maybe people around here say it or maybe I'm just weird. All numbered highways are "the XX". It's interesting the little tells we have in our language.  TV show writers sometimes make that mistake.

Or he's a tech billionaire who already owns a film studio (like Jeff Bezos) and lets Kevin star in/direct/produce any project he wants for the rest of his working life.

Or they will just ignore it. The TV channel head dude threatened to kill Kevin's career back in the day, but that didn't have much impact. He even got to do a final lap on "The Manny".  I will say that if I hired Kevin to be in my movie, I'm taking his phone away from him on important filming days. His family always has some kind of emergency that fouls up his day. Opening night for your play? Brother has an epic panic attack. Opening night for your movie? Either sister is fighting with brother about adoption or Mom has run off after fighting with brother. Big return to your old show? Brother is fighting with SIL and Sister/Mom are running off for a gig. Kevin's kids aren't even born and they have joined the fray. They are probably just having a fight in utero. 

Edited by kili
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

And further yet, as told to me by a CHP friend, SoCal CHP refer to them as The Hollywood Freeway,  Ventura Freeway, Long Beach Freeway, etc.  As long as everyone is on the same page.

Native SoCal here.  Correct, and we do say the 405, the 5, take the 163 to the whatever exit. etc.  Conversely, we call it Pacific Coast Highway or PCH.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MBayGal said:

Oh silly me, of course Kevin will be rewarded for stomping  out of his job, not face any consequences.   He's a Pearson!!!

Don't worry folks, Sylvester Stallone will put in a good word to Robert DeNiro about Kevin Pearson leaving the shoot.  Foster Whoever is a nothing doing a little indie film (with Robert DeNiro no less).

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kili said:

I will say that if I hired Kevin to be in my movie, I'm taking his phone away from him on important filming days. His family always has some kind of emergency that fouls up his day. Opening night for your play? Brother has an epic panic attack. Opening night for your movie? Either sister is fighting with brother about adoption or Mom has run off after fighting with brother. Big return to your old show? Brother is fighting with SIL and Sister/Mom are running off for a gig. Kevin's kids aren't even born and they have joined the fray. They are probably just having a fight in utero. 

Ha, for reals.  I wonder if you can get a Pearson Family Drama insurance policy or a contract line item addressing liquidated damages for incidents of Pearsoning.... 

18 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Native SoCal here.  Correct, and we do say the 405, the 5, take the 163 to the whatever exit. etc.  Conversely, we call it Pacific Coast Highway or PCH.

The 163? San Diego baby?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

My mom told me that for one of her kids' births, my dad was really annoyed that he might miss Miami Vice, and in the delivery room he kept turning the TV on and the doctor kept turning it back off. I suppose there are two lessons here: 1) my mom was not nearly picky enough in her husband selection, and 2) having the father in the delivery room might not be a guaranteed comfort. My own husband was so nervous he ended up at one point laughing at my moans of agony. 

OMG, I was born the night "someone shot JR" on Dallas. My dad is STILL annoyed at me. It was my due date! I'm sorry dude, I arrived at 11pm, I tried to make time for Dallas lol. Also, he missed my oldest sister being born, and I swear she hasn't stopped reminding him that was him abandoning her, so I totally understand Kevin. To be fair, my father was 20 and her mom didn't tell him she was in labor (Half sisters). 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

OMG, I was born the night "someone shot JR" on Dallas. My dad is STILL annoyed at me. It was my due date! I'm sorry dude, I arrived at 11pm, I tried to make time for Dallas lol. Also, he missed my oldest sister being born, and I swear she hasn't stopped reminding him that was him abandoning her, so I totally understand Kevin. To be fair, my father was 20 and her mom didn't tell him she was in labor (Half sisters). 

My mom was due to be released from the hospital with my little sister on a Sunday.  A Sunday in January when the Cleveland Browns had a playoff game at 4pm.  My dad had a specific timeline as to when he would pick her up to be home in time for the game.  And if the hospital wasn't ready to release her by like 2pm, then she had to stay another night.  To be fair to my dad, this my parent's 3 kid and he was in charge of taking care of my older brother and I.  He was juggling a few balls, it was the AFC Championship game, and my mom owed him one after making him leave a playoff game early the year before (the Browns came back and beat the Jets in double overtime).  

I come from a football family, and what really drew me into the show was the Pearson's devotion to the sport and their team.  

• Love 7

I don't think how Kevin treated the job situation was professional, but I don't think anybody is really doing all that well in the scene either.  The director could have expressed genuine concern before Kevin was wigging out.  I thought Kevin being all, "I need to get on a plane right now" before he even knew that Maddison was in labor was premature but on the flip side he is in a different country and it is a flight.  It isn't like she's in labor 20 minutes away.  If things go sideways Kevin is hours and hours away so he can't wait until there is a crisis to know if he should go. If there is a crisis and he doesn't leave until then Maddison or one of the babies is dead before he gets there and he's a guy who knows people can be dead in a blink.

I think had the director, though, gone, "Wow, that's big. I know you want to be there.  Let me help you figure that out.  And while Stephanie from production works all her contacts to get you home asap, lets work on this because you can't help Maddison driving randomly around Canada looking for a plan."  Keven might have felt more supported and like somebody cared that his family was in trouble without him.

I was 10 weeks early (many decades ago when that was scarier than it is now) and the doctors told my dad that my mom was going to need a c-section and to tell her about that while they did (I don't know this part is as sketchy as the next bit) so my dad goes into the room with my mom but he doesn't know how to tell her that her kid is about to be born super early and who knows... so he doesn't.  So the doctors come in ready to take my mom to her c-section thinking she knows all about it but nope.  My dad just never told her.  My dad got a lot of flack about that over the years, but I'm not sure (and only just typing this out now) that the doctors should have put my dad in that position.  /shrugs.   All turned out okay in the end.

A decade before that when my younger older brother was born my mom waited until after Star Trek was over to go to the hospital because she didn't want to miss it.

Edited by bybrandy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

My husband was watching a baseball game, Nolan Ryan in the midst of pitching a no-hitter, while I was in labor with our son, our third child. Fortunately, the game was over by the time I was wheeled into the delivery room. 

• Love 1

Another dramatic quitting of a Pearson!  Do any of them ever manage to keep a job?  Did it ever occur to him with 6 weeks to go, she could have the babies at any time?  Like maybe you shouldn't have taken the job to begin with?  

I guess that's too logical and we are to continue to believe that the Pearsons can quit their jobs at any time and somehow never have a consequence.  

Meanwhile, remember when Madison was a bubbly person?  What happened to that person?  Yes, I know she's having twins and that's scary.  But she has completely changed personalities now.  

Also, am I the only one that thought at first the person he saved to be his nasty old football coach?  I was waiting for him to consider exacting out revenge on the ex-coach but then him saving the coach that called him stupid!

Lastly I'm so tired of the myth that is Jack.  Is that his only motivation Kevin has to be with the twins?  He can't just be a soon-to-be-father that wants to be at their birth?  We have to go back to the tired old trope that Jack Pearson was the best parent and husband that ever ever lived?

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 7

With every passing moment I was happy we weren't watching another Saint Randall episode, and it looked like we wouldn't see him at all. But then at the very end he comes in to save the day! Randall contacts Kevin's baby mama when Kevin can't and is the hero. He even does all the talking instead of turning it over to his wife, as most guys would do in that situation.

I even thought he had a smug look on his face, like he was proud to be the winner yet again.

It's not good that the writers have made me think of Randall this way.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

With every passing moment I was happy we weren't watching another Saint Randall episode, and it looked like we wouldn't see him at all. But then at the very end he comes in to save the day! Randall contacts Kevin's baby mama when Kevin can't and is the hero. He even does all the talking instead of turning it over to his wife, as most guys would do in that situation.

I even thought he had a smug look on his face, like he was proud to be the winner yet again.

It's not good that the writers have made me think of Randall this way.

I enjoyed that moment.  To me, it shows that Randall really does want to make up with Kevin by doing something.  I'm not bothered by Beth being silent because she and Madison do not have a relationship.  From what we have been shown, they would only have interacted at Kate's wedding where Madison was Kate's friend and not Kevin's fiancée.  Madison and Kevin have only been together for the course of the pregnancy, and Randall and Kevin were not on speaking terms during that time.  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I don't think how Kevin treated the job situation was professional, but I don't think anybody is really doing all that well in the scene either. 

Yes, apart from Kevin and the director - where's the rest of the production team? And what about Kevin's agent, I'd assume that IRL in absence of an assistant (this was at least addressed) it would be the agent's job to draft an emergency scenario should his client need to leave the set suddenly. Instead the guy calls Kevin to berate him for leaving the set. It's simply ridiculous that Madison's pregnancy was never an issue during pre-production.

• Love 7