Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E12: The Unmasking of Elizabeth Vargas

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

DO NOT DISCUSS ANY CURRENT INFO IN THIS THREAD.  THIS IS AN EPISODE THREAD. EVENTS IN THIS EPISODE OCCURED IN JULY 2020. IF WE KNEW IT THEN, IT CAN BE DISCUSSED.  IF NOT, TAKE IT TO THE APPROPRIATE THREAD.  

• Start Topic

As the ladies continue to enjoy their getaway in Lake Arrowhead, Gina and Kelly attempt fly fishing while Elizabeth discloses her deepest, darkest secrets to Braunwyn.  Back in the OC, Shannon calls the ladies with surprising news and Emily welcomes home Shane from the hospital.  Braunwyn struggles with the state of her marriage, and Kelly, Rick and Jolie settle into suburban life.

Original air date 2020.12.30

• Useful 1

Couldn't help myself. The church is the Faith Bible Tabernacle. A quick Google shows they're still around. Am I a terrible person for doubting her story? Not that I have any doubt cults exist and the members often do terrible things in the name of religion, only that I'm not too sure Elizabeth's story is her own. Sorry. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
11 minutes ago, snarts said:

Couldn't help myself. The church is the Faith Bible Tabernacle. A quick Google shows they're still around. Am I a terrible person for doubting her story? Not that I have any doubt cults exist and the members often do terrible things in the name of religion, only that I'm not too sure Elizabeth's story is her own. Sorry. 

Considering she admitted herself that she learned at a young age that adults are stupid and she can easily fool people by lying....I'd say doubting her stories is reasonable.

While she was having a panic attack at the start of the episode all I could think of was her story about faking speaking in tongues so well someone passed out at church.

• Love 20
3 minutes ago, JD5166 said:

As opposed BW who only cares about who she’ll fuck for the rest of her life and never once mentions her 7 children? She’s Disgusting. I’ll take Kelly. 

one wants to do a super spreader event and doesn't care who gets it cause Covid be damned the other is a selfish bitch but isn't attempting to murder anyone .... they both are horrible people not doubt ...but I mean yea Kelly can kick rocks 🙂

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 6

Why do they constantly call Shannon but never once called Emily?

The star of trip was Elizabeth's midriff. EVERY DAMN OUTFIT. No shame, but it's not impressive enough to warrant that much exposure. 

Also, note that Kelly wasn't buying the cult story either. Her facial expressions were cracking me up. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 13

I can’t get over how much Jolie has grown up since last season. Maybe it’s just that she’s wearing makeup and dressing like a teen now, but I still thought of her as being a “littler” kid.  She’s so pretty.  I hope she doesn’t give Kelly as much trouble as Kelly no doubt gave her mom.  For Jolie’s sake, not Kelly’s.

Poor Archie.  Even though the girls weren’t picking up after him I bet his life was way more chill before Shannon returned.  

• Love 23

This is the opposite of fun. Want my guilty pleasure viewing back. One and a half episodes of crying, stalling, hyperventilating and vague accusations to say the obvious implication. I’m sorry for her. It’s awful. But with all these addicts, tears, and childhood drama, I feel like I’m watching Intervention. Too depressing. No laughs anymore, just tension and therapy-speak. Yawn. 

• Love 22

Poor Archie!! At least we got see him for a few minutes!  I'm shocked that Shannon is still with us after her bout with covid-19.  AND not being around John because they saw each other every day and they couldn't while in quarantine....

Good Gawd.  Sounds to me like Shane's the one who needed the attention, Shannon!

• Love 15

I FF most of Elisabeths scenes. It’s just boring and seems fake. Not trying to be a jerk but she was Not a good choice for a housewife.

Seriously Shannon can’t be away from her bf for 2 weeks? I’m pretty sure she wanted him to get it or just quarantine with her no matter what. What a joke lol.

Bleh to Braunwyn and everything about her.

• Love 19

I fell out of watching OC a year or two ago, and just happened to watch tonight's ep. I cannot believe how lackadaisical they are about masks, social distancing, etc, while they actually know people who are sick (and at least one hospitalized) with it! 😵

• Love 21
9 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

one wants to do a super spreader event and doesn't care who gets it cause Covid be damned the other is a selfish bitch but isn't attempting to murder anyone .... they both are horrible people not doubt ...but I mean yea Kelly can kick rocks 🙂

Remember, we are watching what happened almost a year ago and quite honestly, a lot of people didn’t understand the severity of what was happening. I have been out in it since the beginning working at the supermarket because I happened to be  in between contract jobs. They didn’t make us start wearing masks until probably late April. Sure she’s selfish, that’s  our Kelly! I just can’t help but like her, we see her not fake storylines....like it or not. 

ETA: yes, they knew how sickShane was, but again...it’s Kelly. How many of us thought they’d never get it they are too healthy? 

Edited by JD5166
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, JD5166 said:

Remember, we are watching what happened almost a year ago and quite honestly, a lot of people didn’t understand the severity of what was happening. I have been out in it since the beginning working at the supermarket because I happened to be  in between contract jobs. They didn’t make us start wearing masks until probably late April. Sure she’s selfish, that’s  our Kelly! I just can’t help but like her, we see her not fake storylines....like it or not. 

They went to Lake Arrowhead in July, I believe. They should have understood the severity at that point- not just because that info was readily available but also because one of their castmates had a husband in the hospital coughing up blood. I felt bad for the poor fishing instructor who remained masked while all of them didn’t wear any protection.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, JD5166 said:

ETA: yes, they knew how sickShane was, but again...it’s Kelly. How many of us thought they’d never get it they are too healthy? 

As MrsWitter mentioned, this was filmed July. LATE July to be specific. Covid info was very well known by then. I think some of them were just willfully ignorant about it. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, MrsWitter said:

They went to Lake Arrowhead in July, I believe. They should have understood the severity at that point- not just because that info was readily available but also because one of their castmates had a husband in the hospital coughing up blood. I felt bad for the poor fishing instructor who remained masked while all of them didn’t wear any protection.

Yea they were spotted filming July 19th at the Lake at that time EVERYONE knew how bad it was and she was still saying Covid wouldn't stop her... Kelly is just a gross gross person ... you do also have to realize that she is marring a fox news correspondent that was down playing the virus still and was saying it was mostly a hoax and no different then the "flu" thing is the flu has a vaccine Covid didn't so yea there was a big ass difference  ...

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 14

I just don't understand why they were wearing face shields while cooking.  They were around each other all weekend without masks.  I don't believe a word Elizabeth says after her saying she's been lying since childhood.  Braunwyn also sucks.  Bringing a woman into her house that makes Sean jealous is an asshole move.  Gina stole the show with the fish incident.  Shannon is finally happy that she got the virus and blames her kids.  As Gina said, Shannon has been out and about and could've gotten it then.  Kelly isn't my favorite but at least she tells the truth.  Props to Emily for having the virus and taking care of her kids while worrying about Shane.  I agree with the above poster that I watch this show for fun and this episode, other than Gina, sure didn't deliver.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Marley said:

I FF most of Elisabeths scenes. It’s just boring and seems fake. Not trying to be a jerk but she was Not a good choice for a housewife.

I do not remember Elizabeth telling Brawny that she had been sexually abused when she was young, I heard her say there was physically abuse and was threatened with being tossed off a bridge but the sex abuse by multiple men, did not hear that.  I watched Brawny's face when all the HW's were on the pier talking and Elizabeth was telling her story, Brawny had a poker face but maybe a little doubt showed thru. 

Elizabeth is trying to get the sympathy vote at all costs.  The constant laughing is annoying.  

• Love 3

When Sean was released from the hospital and Emily could not unlock the door I thought we were going to see Sean go off then Emily sat in an unmoving car repeating everything Sean said I thought Sean was going to lose it, (it was annoying me, lol) but when Sean was nasty to Emily in response to some harmless question I knew he was on the mend!

What do we think the happy dance that Shannon did upon getting her positive test result looked like?  I have never seen anyone so happy to finally get sick, it is odd.  Also odd, Shannon telling us that her daughter woke her up saying she could not breath and cut to Shannon sucking on a nebulizer and checking oxygen levels, did she take care of her daughter first? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Baltimore Betty said:

When Sean was released from the hospital and Emily could not unlock the door I thought we were going to see Sean go off then Emily sat in an unmoving car repeating everything Sean said I thought Sean was going to lose it, (it was annoying me, lol) but when Sean was nasty to Emily in response to some harmless question I knew he was on the mend!

What do we think the happy dance that Shannon did upon getting her positive test result looked like?  I have never seen anyone so happy to finally get sick, it is odd.  Also odd, Shannon telling us that her daughter woke her up saying she could not breath and cut to Shannon sucking on a nebulizer and checking oxygen levels, did she take care of her daughter first? 

giphy.gif.f03f70044cb19aa707c8f48d8e21adbf.gif

• LOL 7

Elizabeth’s sister came to mind as the child rape cult story came out - a lot of people would escape into drugs after something so traumatic.

Since I never watched these shows for the styles, glam etc. but was drawn in by the psychological dramas, the oc has gotten really interesting to me. I hope we get to meet Elizabeth’s sister. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, snarts said:

The star of trip was Elizabeth's midriff. EVERY DAMN OUTFIT. No shame, but it's not impressive enough to warrant that much exposure. 

Also, note that Kelly wasn't buying the cult story either. Her facial expressions were cracking me up. 

I was surprised by that too! They called Shannon EVERY day while at the lake, but Emily said Shannon was the only one that had been calling her. Nice friends. And, don't Shane's parents live across the street? Why wasn't his family helping out with childcare and meals? (Do we know if the kids tested positive? They had to have been exposed.) I felt so bad for Emily, trying to keep it together while balancing everything without any help, and only Shannon checking up on her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, nexxie said:

Elizabeth’s sister came to mind as the child rape cult story came out - a lot of people would escape into drugs after something so traumatic.

Since I never watched these shows for the styles, glam etc. but was drawn in by the psychological dramas, the oc has gotten really interesting to me. I hope we get to meet Elizabeth’s sister. 

Yea I cant say IF Elizabeth's story was true or not cause we all deal with Trauma differently ... I also laugh and smile a lot when I am uncomfortable and try to deflect with jokes ... I do see a lot of what I do in how she acts tho ....

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, snarts said:

9 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

I was surprised by that too! They called Shannon EVERY day while at the lake, but Emily said Shannon was the only one that had been calling her. Nice friends. And, don't Shane's parents live across the street? Why wasn't his family helping out with childcare and meals? (Do we know if the kids tested positive? They had to have been exposed.) I felt so bad for Emily, trying to keep it together while balancing everything without any help, and only Shannon checking up on her. 

I thought maybe only Shannon was on the production schedule because Emily had too much going on - but who knows. Shane has a sister too - it is odd that she had no help. But the kids weren’t in the car when Emily took Shane to the hospital, so where were they?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Poor Archie.  Even though the girls weren’t picking up after him I bet his life was way more chill before Shannon returned.  

The show would be better with more scenes of Archie & less of crying Shannon.

• Love 20
39 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

Working through childhood trauma by going on a reality TV show doesn't seem like a good idea to me; not just for the viewers but for Elisabeth.  I cannot see anyway this kind of exposure would help her deal.  

I don’t know - somewhere B said that committing to putting her story out there helped to keep her on track. I can see how someone who had created an elaborate false persona, like Elizabeth, might also benefit from ripping the bandaid off in a big way.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I haven't been watching this season because of Kelly, Shannon, and Braunwyn, but I tuned in last night. I'm in a place with shitty internet connection so it was a bit sporadic, but from what I was able to see, I still dislike Kelly, Shannon, and Braunwyn!

Kelly is still an idiot without a single interesting or compelling thing to say. Shannon still drains the happy out of everyone around her. I couldn't believe she told her girls she was surprised they didn't display more concern for her than they did.  It's as if she wanted the girls to be dramatic like she is. Kinda twisted, really. Vicki was right about Braunwyn. She tries WAY too hard. I feel really bad for her husband and kids. She's a mess all the way around. It's hard to tell what's real and what she's doing for the camera.  From what I saw, I'd say her story is 55-60% for the camera and 40-45% real.

I like Gina, I always have. I'm a little on the fence with Emily, but I find her relationship with Shane oddly interesting. And, I like Elizabeth ... and I didn't think I would. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

I cannot see anyway this kind of exposure would help her deal.  

Also, seriously doubt Bravo would give us/her a sincere edit of the story. They should stick to the superficial- crummy marriages and mediocre karens.

Look what we are given with BW - she's shown as a horny, maniac, disrespecting her husband with minimal interest of her children.

This show is the dumbing down of drama.

• Love 4

By biggest take away from this episode is that Braunwyn’s instagram feed looks insufferable. The staged pictures of her and her friend/wife.... so overly posed and manufactured. Ugh. Exhausting. I just find Emily and Gina so much more relatable than the rest of the cast. They are snarky and funny and not trying so damn hard to be interesting. 

• Love 20
8 minutes ago, angelamh66 said:

By biggest take away from this episode is that Braunwyn’s instagram feed looks insufferable. The staged pictures of her and her friend/wife.... so overly posed and manufactured. Ugh. Exhausting. I just find Emily and Gina so much more relatable than the rest of the cast. They are snarky and funny and not trying so damn hard to be interesting. 

Gina and Emily are my favorites too and I did not think they would be when they first came on the show. They are actually women I would be friends with and want to talk to because they don't make it all about themselves (unlike Shannon and BW). Shannon has never been my favorite but this season she is just so INSUFFERABLE (ok more than before b/c of Covid). And while I'm talking about Shannon, she kept repeating how she was going to be away from John for the first time in a year? Did I hear that correctly? Wow, a grown ass woman can't even be by herself a couple of days/weeks (mind you she was going home to be with her daughters). I just kept rolling my eyes any time I saw her this episode. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

That was so bizarre and so Shannon.  Does her daughter have breathing issues?  Did they get her any help? Or did Shannon only turn it into look what you girls did to MEEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?! And Shannon, if YOU were not experiencing breathing problems, don't use your nebulizer. Of course she probably panicked herself into thinking she couldn't breath.  

There is a thing in emergency response where they say take care of the crazy first.  That is, if someone in panicking, they will keep you from being able to help the people who really need your help.  If an EMT is ever called to a situation with Shannon (and it doesn't involve a Vicki I'm really just hungover but let me claim I need emergent care non-incident), expect them to waste a person just calming Shannon the fuck down. 

2 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

Working through childhood trauma by going on a reality TV show doesn't seem like a good idea to me; not just for the viewers but for Elisabeth.  I cannot see anyway this kind of exposure would help her deal.  

Part of me says she feels a need to expose the church to help others.  The other, more cynical part says she is hoping to score a TV show from this. Leah Remini has an interesting tale to tell of a church with a broad reach.  Not so sure about Elizabeth.  Also, to do such a thing, you need to get yourself more together first or you can exacerbate your own trauma. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, itsadryheat said:

Also, seriously doubt Bravo would give us/her a sincere edit of the story. They should stick to the superficial- crummy marriages and mediocre karens.

I know!  This show used to be so much fun to snark about; shallow ridiculous women living shallow ridiculous lives in their skytops.   How are we supposed to snark on such seriously damaged people like Elisabeth and Brauny?  The first 20 minutes of this episode was a big bummer. 

Of course we still have Shannon, who seemed far more concerned about being separated from Boyfriend John than even her own health (or his) still,  I don't find anything snarky about Covid-19.   But speaking of John the Boyfriend, what kind of work does he do that they have spent every day of the last year together? 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Cosmocrush said:

But speaking of John the Boyfriend, what kind of work does he do that they have spent every day of the last year together? 

Now that we have seen his house....am I the only one having Dirty John vibes?  Honestly the whole Newport scene is giving me DJ vibes.  I’m not saying he’s a 100% DJ, but there certainly are undertones here that I just can’t get over.  

• Useful 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

My thoughts about Elizabeth's story are that she was being investigated by these women and she wanted to draw some sympathy from them so that maybe they would shut up, especially in front of the cameras.  But, she hasn't earned my trust yet, so I'm cynical with all of these fame whores.  

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I was DYING when Emily was filming them just sitting there and saying nonsense, I was like TAKE THE GUY HOME!  He just got released from the hospital, you can tell he was weak and just wanted to get home and into bed.  

Her in-laws are older so she is probably keeping them from coming over, and keeping them at a distance.  It is not a good idea for anyone to come and help - there are COVID positive people in the house.  It sucks to have to deal with the 3 kids all day every day, feeding them and keeping them occupied - I would go nuts!  But it would be really irresponsible to have healthy people come into the house.  I am sure that is why she didn't have people come over to help.

2 hours ago, Crazydoxielady said:

I believe Elizabeth. I think it explains a lot about her. People typically do not make up stories about being molested. I was glad Gina asked real questions like "you were molested?" instead of them dancing around the issue. They show a scene from next week where Elizabeth's brother is breaking down over his treatment by the church, and describes being beat for ? ADHD? Regardless, its a sad situation, one that would haunt someone forever. The way she described trying to touch a little boy inappropriately and him telling his family rings true, a victim often acts as the provocatively or as a molester as they get a bit older.  While I am not a big Elizabeth fan, and don't think she fits into this format, I 100% believe her. And as a person who struggles with their weight, I find her confidence in all the midriff baring looks compelling. She states she just lost a good amount of weight, but she does not look quite ready for all day every day midriff baring. I have to see her aggressive vagina in bikini bottoms or her midriff in low rider pants for the last three episodes and I am OVER IT!

I absolutely 100% believe there was abuse, you are right it is not something people typically make up.  However, her delivery and fast and choppy way of talking makes it hard to even understand what happened. 

I didn't understand the thing with the boy and the tent.. until I put it together that she was abusing HIM after she had been abused. 

I think adding to that, she does leave info out on purpose, and tries to come up with something else to say on the fly - and usually it makes no sense, or contradicts what she had said before.  She claims to be a good liar but she actually sucks at it.  

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 13