Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

The Winner of Week 7 was a tough decision as there were four in competition for this Prestigious Award. But don't color me selfish as I name the TWO, two, two winners of this week. Both of these players achieved their highest scores yet after seven weeks of play. Those two smarties are @opus and @saber5055. Yes, both finished last week at their highest pinnacle of knowledge.

Congratulations to you both.

(Me: Thank you, thank you for this remarkable honor. "I am humbled by your applause.")

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The Winner of Week 7 was a tough decision as there were four in competition for this Prestigious Award. But don't color me selfish as I name the TWO, two, two winners of this week. Both of these players achieved their highest scores yet after seven weeks of play. Those two smarties are @opus and @saber5055. Yes, both finished last week at their highest pinnacle of knowledge.

Congratulations to you both.

(Me: Thank you, thank you for this remarkable honor. "I am humbled by your applause.")

We have a tie. When the vote is tied, the strongest link has to cast the deciding vote.

Oops, wrong show...

• LOL 4
(edited)

WEEK 8 • Nov. 2, 2020 — ONE asterisk *
36. Political Speeches. At the 2004 DNC, Barack Obama used a fairly new metaphor, saying, “Pundits…slice & dice our country into” these 2 types of states.
37. Africa. After the removal of the dictator, in 2011 3 broad colored stripes & 2 white symbols were restored to this country’s flag.
38. Country Names. 5 U.N. member countries have one-syllable names: Chad, Laos, & these 3 in Europe.
39. Foreign Words in English. The first use of this Spanish term in English was by Wellington referring to partisans in the Peninsular Wars.
* 40. Fairy Tale Characters. In French, this fairy tale character is La Petite Poucette, in Spanish, Pulgarcita & in English, this. *  

Edited by saber5055

If Wednesday was France, Greece, and Spain, then I would have gotten it had I watched the show. I blew Tuesday, got Monday & Thursday easily, but I was too late to write it down on Friday, although I yelled the solution when it finally came to me.  I'm not sure how to count those.

2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not sure how to count those.

I get the FJ clue from TheJeopardyFan.com before the show airs here. Sometimes I know it right away, sometimes I ponder it for a while. But I never time myself like a contestant on the show since typically if I don't know it right away, I don't know it regardless of pondering time. Using those metrics, I would allow any answers that are correct, whether mental or written or shouted at the teevee.

• Love 3

2/5 - I got stuck on Idi Amin for Tuesday and couldn't work my way out of the vortex, Thursday I went on all sorts of odd paths but nowhere near guerilla and Friday I got too literal trying to equate Petit directly with little, rather than just as a diminutive.  Absolutely no * this week.  (However I do now have the Thumbellina song from Danny Kaye's Hans Christian Anderson record/movie stuck in my head)

Onwards and upwards for next week. 

• Love 1

02 NOV    red/blue states    1/1
03 NOV    Zimbabwe         1/2
04 NOV    Spain/France/???    1/3
05 NOV    guerilla        2/4
06 NOV    Rapunzel        2/5

2/5 with no *. Piss poor performance. I blame election stress.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, theartandsound said:

Piss poor performance.

Hey, if you were playing SaberFinalJeopardy, you would have gotten three matches. And Rapunzel was a better guess than mine. So there's that (sort of) plus!

1/5 but the one I got?  Thumbelina.   So 1/5*   

My mom got Red and Blue...  She knows more things than me.  :).

Oh, and I got Spain/France and ????

I have never been to Spain or France.   Know where I have been?  Greece.  But my mom was in Greece with me (okay, I was 18 I was totally in Greece with her)  and she got Spain and France and not Greece, too.. and she got Spain and France before I did.  

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 2

@opus and @Prevailing Wind are playing hookie this week, so the Winner of Week 7 will be announced without their attendance at the party being thrown for @Mindthinkr. Yes, Mindthinker is the BIG WINNER this week, for being The Best Player of Week 7. Congratulations, my friend! Long may you reign.

Well, until next week anyway. Celebrate!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

@opus and @Prevailing Wind are playing hookie this week, so the Winner of Week 7 will be announced without their attendance at the party being thrown for @Mindthinkr. Yes, Mindthinker is the BIG WINNER this week, for being The Best Player of Week 7. Congratulations, my friend! Long may you reign.

Well, until next week anyway. Celebrate!

Oops, sorry. I was actually headed here to do it Sunday when I got sideswiped by the Alex news.

1/5

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, opus said:

Oops, sorry. I was actually headed here to do it Sunday when I got sideswiped by the Alex news.

I just "ass"umed you were resting on your laurels from winning Week 6, but your actual reason is understandable. Thanks for posting and catching up.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't remember anymore. I'm getting old. And I have no freakin' idea how that quote box just showed up in my post.

Maybe you were going to quote your score for Week 7? You are the only one on my Tardy List. *tsk tsk tsk*

I remember reporting that if Wednesday was France, Greece & Spain, I would have gotten it. Missed the show. So that makes it 4/5 - I got stuck on Uganda. Heck, Saber, you even replied - it's up above, Friday at 10:28 PM

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1

WEEK 9 • Nov. 9, 2020 — NO asterisk
41. Word Origins. The word for a type of building or institution comes from Greek for a place sacred to a mythical group of 9.
42. History In The Movies. Vehicles in “2001: A Space Odyssey” featured this airline’s logo, but the company went bankrupt in 1991.
43. History of Medicine. 2020 marks the 55th birthday of the first piece of equipment dedicated to this process, now used for regular screenings.  *** (Note: What is ultrasound/sonography is also correct.) ***
44. World Flags. Both Wales & Bhutan have flags bearing one of these mythical creatures.
45. U.S. Monuments. More than 100 years after it was first proposed, this monument was dedicated by President Chester Arthur.

Week nine:  four out of five. I was attending a Zoom meeting/watching Jeopardy on Monday, and didn't really read the clue. But that's okay. No one in the meeting commented on my lack of attentiveness (or noticed my red, watery eyes after the tribute to Alex at the beginning of the episode).

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

@j5cochran I wanted to give your post a heart and a sad face but this site only lets us do one.

Thanks for the thought, but it's all okay! The meeting that I was halfway attending Monday night was a church trustees meeting, and at the end, the pastor joked that this week was the first time that he had done grief counseling for a parishioner because of a celebrity death.  Luckily, I have the same warped sense of humor that he has, and I giggled.

• Love 2