Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

"Toot toot toot" ...

I'm tooting the FJ horn to announce the winners of Week 10. Yes, winners, because two outstanding players are being recognized this week. It's Week 10 and only fitting that both players topped their weeks with half of that. Okay, that's stretching it, but I want to shine the spotlight on @Browncoat and @Good Queen Jane. Both achieved perfection this week, scoring their first FIVES. Add them together and you get (WEEK) 10. Congratulations to our two newest Contest Brainiacs. Enjoy your time at the Top O' The Score Sheet!

• Love 7

WEEK 11 • Nov. 23, 2020 — NO asterisk **
51. Secretaries of State. Dirk Stikker, Dutch foreign minister 1948-1952, wrote, “Churchill’s words won the war”; this American’s “words won the peace.”
52. Historic Documents. One of the liberties listed in this: “No man shall be forced to perform more service for a knight’s ‘fee’…than is due from it.”
53. Singer/Actresses. This California-born woman won a Best Leading Actress Academy Award in 1988, when she had 2 top 20 hit songs.
54. Religious Words. This sacred syllable is sometimes said to be composed of sounds representing Vishnu, Shiva & Brahma.
55. World Geography. Of the 6 mainland African countries through which the Equator passes, this landlocked nation is last alphabetically.

3/5.  My station preempts the show at least once a week. I use thejeopardyfan.com but need Saber's summary to see if there were asterisks.
Monday I said John Foster Dulles. Wednesday, since showbiz is not my category, I preguessed Barbra Streisand and stuck with her for lack of a better guess.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Driad said:

... but need Saber's summary to see if there were asterisks.

No asterisks this week.

Side note: This week all boards were cleared of all clues every day. Not that it has anything to do with asterisks, but it is sort of an "asterisk" in itself!

• Love 6

4/5 - I couldn't move quickly enough through my mental map of Africa to get to Uganda and frankly I am not sure my mental map of Africa is accurate enough to ever get the question correct.  I really need to brush up on geography in general.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Driad said:

of the six countries through which the equator passes, Uganda appears to be the only landlocked one.

And so it being last in the alphabet was the second clue: "landlocked" and "last alphabetically." FJs typically contain two clues to point at the right answer. Hopefully, if you don't get one, you'll know the second. (Or not know either, which is more typically my case.)

28 minutes ago, Driad said:

Looking at an actual map of Africa ... of the six countries through which the equator passes, Uganda appears to be the only landlocked one.

The Democratic Republic of the Congo  is almost land locked - it has a mere 25 miles of coastline on the Atlantic.

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yeay! Although so far my Table For One is literally a Table For One. So lonely here ...

Well you did have special clues that referenced you. The collie, and the fetlock. 
I’m willing to sit at your table even though you only got one. 

• LOL 2
5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well you did have special clues that referenced you. The collie, and the fetlock. 
I’m willing to sit at your table even though you only got one. 

And we had Kit Carson. (or maybe that was Thursday, I forget which).

• Love 2

Saber -- since Jeopardy "will air 10 of Alex Trebek’s best episodes the weeks of 12/21 and 12/28," will the contest continue during those weeks or take a break?  Probably some of those episodes will be from a long time ago, so they may as well be new as far as our memories are concerned.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

@DXD526, I had planned to stop the contest for those 10 episodes, but you make a good point. Let's go ahead and test our memory banks if they are episodes we've seen, and test our brains for any we've not seen before. I'd be all for everyone getting two weeks of fives, so let's keep the contest going, full speed ahead, until the last episode of Season 37.  And good luck to everyone!

• Love 7

3/5  I knew it wouldn't be Zimbabwe for reasons (mostly because I thought it couldn't actually be the alphabetically last country in Africa), but I couldn't get past Zaire, even though I know it's now the DRC. Ugh. But I'm really hoping to remember this about Uganda now.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

@DXD526, I had planned to stop the contest for those 10 episodes, but you make a good point. Let's go ahead and test our memory banks if they are episodes we've seen, and test our brains for any we've not seen before. I'd be all for everyone getting two weeks of fives, so let's keep the contest going, full speed ahead, until the last episode of Season 37.  And good luck to everyone!

Unless I watch one again right away (wasn't there a contestant recently who said she did that?) my memory banks are wiped. So they'll all be new to me. (the answers anyway)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Unless I watch one again right away (wasn't there a contestant recently who said she did that?) my memory banks are wiped. So they'll all be new to me. (the answers anyway)

Yeah, I might remember an answer if it was incredibly controversial but otherwise after a week or so I am unlikely to remember it.  I mean I probably will remember at least a year from now that Berry Gordy is spelled with an e but I'm not 1000 percent sure if I'd remember Berry Gordy was the answer to whatever question it was he was the answer to.  

Edited by bybrandy
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Same here, which is why after I tell someone a story, I say, "Wait, haven't I told you that before?" Kind people will say no, but their eyes tell me that was (at least) the fourth time they'd heard it.

It will be fun to see which episodes air, and if any player's memory kicks in for a couple perfect weeks. Don't count on me being one of them though.

• Love 2

4/5. I had no idea "om" meant anything. Too much Thanksgiving turkey I guess. I hope everyone had a good vacation weekend, all things considered.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of remembering FJs from the Alex reruns. I'm glad the contest will continue.

• Love 2