Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Everyone has reported in, so now's the time to unveil the winner of Week 11. Because I could find no outstanding patterns, I resorted to my (empty) Anderson-Erickson French Onion Dip container that holds the number of every player. I shook it, I rattled it, I twirled it, and I mixed up all the numbers, then drew out Lucky Number 13, which translates to the player named ... ta da ... @GrannySmith.

So congratulations GrannySmith, long-time player, first-time winner. Enjoy your week of glory, and may it not be your last.

• Love 3

WEEK 12 • Nov. 30, 2020 — ONE asterisk *
56. Comedy Movies. In the original script for this 1975 film, the title object was finally found in London’s Harrods department store.
57. Aviators. Roland Garros, for whom the French Open stadium is named, gained fame with the 460-mile 1st solo flight across this body of water.
* 58. Novel Characters. This character from an 1851 novel “was intent on an audacious, immitigable, and supernatural revenge.” *
59. 19th Century Americans. In 1858 these 2 men faced each other in Alton, Freeport, Galesburg & 4 other nearby towns.
60. Island Nations. What’s now this nation resisted naval sieges by the Berbers in 1429, the Ottomans in 1565 & Axis WWII air assaults.

• Love 1

I am not sure I really believe it but I went 5/5 with one *.  It was due to a couple lucky guesses (Mediterranean and Malta) and some long ago memory from being forced to complete Moby Dick for the last section of an early American literature class which was heavy on Hawthorne and Melville (for the W&M fans - the final took place on the second floor of the Wren building for some odd reason with tourists wandering in by mistake).

• Love 5

3/5 no *

I said the Pink Panther for Monday (which I knew was about a decade too early), & Frankenstein's monster for Wednesday (also too early). Tuesday & Friday were lucky guesses, & I learned that Roland Garros was a pioneering pilot. I've always figured he was a French tennis champion. 

Thursday was the only one I knew without having to guess. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, but think of the fun you'll have with Saber at The Table For One. I'm still here from last week.

Well, I am at the Table for One also.  Maybe we can play Rummoli.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, but think of the fun you'll have with Saber at The Table For One. I'm still here from last week.

12 hours ago, secnarf said:

1/5. I shall be joining you all at The Table For One!

38 minutes ago, Trey said:

Well, I am at the Table for One also.  Maybe we can play Rummoli.

Now it's a party!

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Since I didn't get any FJ this week, does that put me at the Table for Zero?

I'm upgrading you and giving you a special pass and a seat at The Table For One. We have enough for a good round or two of Texas Hold'em. You be the dealer.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

5/5 and 1*. Would you believe I was reading Moby Dick on my flight from Paris to Malta while the inflight movie, The Holy Grail, was playing? Lincoln/Douglas was a good guess since I'd never heard of those towns.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

So @Prevailing Wind, you haven't run into this guy lately, have you?

DraculaLugosi.jpg.0a3e0e84257eeadb1e651929782cc08a.jpg

Nope. I don't go anywhere to run into anybody. I was supposed to pick up a prescription before Friday last week and I'm still in my jammies. I did manage to sleep for 6 hours last night & woke up before 8 AM, so perhaps I can stay awake & get to bed at a normal hour tonight. I'm not holding my breath, however. I'm just pissed that I'm missing AT's last shows.

• Love 3

I hope @peeayebee will be able to join us and catch up on answers here so we can continue with all of our players. But right now, I am focusing the spotlight on one very special player, the outstanding player of Week 12, the player who got a first-time perfect week, the player who scored a 5/5 plus asterisk, the player who is The Winner of Week 12 ... and that outstanding individual is ... @Grundoon59. Congratulations to the best player this week, our Wolverine friend Grundoon. Take a bow!

*applause applause!*

Yeay Grundoon! Congratulations, you brainiac!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm dropping out; I keep sleeping through J!.

I get FJ from TheJeopardyFan.com in the morning before the show airs here. You can also get today's FJ tomorrow and the next day and the next. Just sayin'. I never count on me being able to watch this show live every day. It's the only way I can keep the contest up to date. I also like reading Andy's detailed info about the answer, once I make my guess. For me, FJ is between me and my brain, not any of the show's players.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I get FJ from TheJeopardyFan.com

This site is very handy.  I couldn't participate in the contest without it, since my station preempts Jeopardy once or twice a week during football season. 

• Love 1

I am deeply appreciative of the honor and am taking a bow, curtsy and every other show of respect possible.  I would never consider myself a "brainiac" but I would give thanks to a good liberal arts education, a trivial mind (in the best sense) and enormous good luck last week with the categories.  

Seriously to win for last week makes me smile at a time when I needed one.  Not to be maudlin but as many of you know, I lost Mother Grundoon in January and this past Sunday marked my first birthday without her.   I won't lie - it was a bit hard but I tried to put on my big girl panties and be grateful for what I have in this year when so many have lost so much.  I have always enjoyed this board but really value it now as a means of communicating with other fans when it is easy to feel a bit isolated.  I am happy that I joined in the contest this year but seriously did not expect to do well.  To have been named the winner for last week was a terrific birthday present!  Hope I don't have to wait for another whole year to pass to do as well again.  

Edited by Grundoon59
silly spelling error
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I am deeply appreciative of the honor and am taking a bow, curtsy and every other show of respect possible.  I would never consider myself a "brainiac" but I would give thanks to a good liberal arts education, a trivial mind (in the best sense) and enormous good luck last week with the categories.  

Seriously to win for last week makes me smile at a time when I needed one.  Not to be maudlin but as many of you know, I lost Mother Grundoon in January and this past Sunday marked my first birthday without her.   I won't lie - it was a bit hard but I tried to put on my big girl panties and be grateful for what I have in this year when so many have lost so much.  I have always enjoyed this board but really value it now as a means of communicating with other fans when it is easy to feel a bit isolated.  I am happy that I joined in the contest this year but seriously did not expect to do well.  To have been named the winner for last week was a terrific birthday present!  Hope I don't have to wait for another whole year to pass to do as well again.  

Happy belated, difficult, birthday. It's been a year for trying to be grateful, I've been doing the same. You have also suffered a great loss, and the first birthday without a parent is very difficult. Kudos to you for putting on your big girl panties and remembering others.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I will have a sandwich from The Cheese Shop later this week in your honor.

Oh, you are mean. First BBQ, then eating a Cheese Shop sandwich while Grundoon and Saber sit and watch and imagine how fabulous it must be ... I must get @Mindthinkr to cook us a great Belated Bday Dinner.

• Love 5