Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week 14: 5/5 one*

YTD: 32/70  six*

On 12/13/2020 at 12:15 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I would love to find a nearby doc that's NOT part of the Emory complex, yet has free parking. Hahahaha.

I don't think I've ever in my life paid for parking for a doctor visit!

• Love 3

I was 5/5 with one*.  I felt lucky with the categories and especially with the Defender of the Faith - a lot of Tudor history at college but more recently I have been watching a lot of historical shows on Smithsonian and Prime so had heard references to the status in the near past.  

Edited by Grundoon59
Oops - really bad grammar
  • Love 4

@Prevailing Wind, glad to see you are back amongst the living contest players. I do need your score from last week though, to catch you up with everyone. And if it's any consolation, your score this week is the same as mine. I DOUBLED ! my total from last week. And the week before that. And the week before that ... My chair at The Table For One is finally empty. Woo hoo!

• Love 4

Week fourteen: five for five with the asterisk!  Though I would hope that they would accept Cyrano, as I'm not sure that I could even spell de Bergerac under time pressure (I just looked it up to be certain of the spelling!).

• Love 8

Woa!! Thank you saber for the amazing honor of a win shared with toothbrush! I need to check in more often but I keep being late watching so I don't want clues spoiled. So lovely and unexpected!!

3/5 with 1*. I knew it was Cyrano but I couldn't dredge up his name.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

are we going to be including the next two weeks of repeat episodes in the contest?

Yes, the contest is continuing non-stop through the repeats. I've already looked at today's, which is more than 16 years old, so if everyone remembers FJs that far back, he/she deserves an asterisk. You won't get one, you just deserve one. (Naturally, I guessed incorrectly, but I wasn't watching the show back then so that's my excuse.)

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, the contest is continuing non-stop through the repeats. I've already looked at today's, which is more than 16 years old, so if everyone remembers FJs that far back, he/she deserves an asterisk. You won't get one, you just deserve one. (Naturally, I guessed incorrectly, but I wasn't watching the show back then so that's my excuse.)

Uh oh. I’m not planning to watch the reruns.

If you need to keep me even for bookkeeping, you can toss me some 0/5’s (like a forfeit), or if you’re in the holiday spirit of giving, maybe 1/5.

12 minutes ago, opus said:

Uh oh. I’m not planning to watch the reruns.

Just check out the FJ clue on TheJeopardyFan.com every day, or The New York Times. (Although the Times has the wrong day's clue listed for today, so see TJF instead.) Then you can continue to play while doing something else during the reruns. It's a win-win!

If you like, you can share my score, which is a ZERO so far for today, and maybe the entire week.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

4/5 no *

I answered Richard III for Wednesday

We're starting Alex's last week <sob> 

I gave you an asterisk since Cyrano de Bergerac was asterisk day, Thursday. Every little asterisk counts!

Alex's last week isn't until next year. So ... not yet. But it will be here before we know it, because this time is gonna fly.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I gave you an asterisk since Cyrano de Bergerac was asterisk day, Thursday. Every little asterisk counts!

Alex's last week isn't until next year. So ... not yet. But it will be here before we know it, because this time is gonna fly.

Yay for ass-to-risk day!!

I read about Alex's final week being delayed till the new year after I posted. His last game on the 8th will be a bittersweet beginning to my birthday weekend. It has amazed me how good he's looked. Not to be ghoulish, but I was expecting/dreading to see a decline as time went on. He was such a trooper! 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

It has amazed me how good he's looked. Not to be ghoulish, but I was expecting/dreading to see a decline as time went on. He was such a trooper! 

Which is why I was so shocked when he died. After seeing Michael Landon and Patrick Swayze ravaged by the same cancer before they died, I had no clue he was so near.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Just waiting for @Mindthinkr to check in, then it will be time to unwrap a pretty great Christmas Gift for some pretty great players.

Let me go back and look for my post. I thought I was one of the first to post. Hang on. 

It must have been one of those times when I type out the answer and then forget to hit send. I got 4/5 no asterisk. 

• Love 2

Thank you Mindthinkr! All caught up now. And time to drag in this BIG box, it's a present, all gift wrapped and with a big red bow on top.

*unwrap, upwrap, crinkle paper (save bow), open box ..." and VOILÁ! It's our winners of Week 14. I say "winners" because by some Christmas miracle we have FOUR winners this week. Yes, four. These four players achieved their first perfect week for the first perfect time this season. And those brainiacs are ... the brilliant @Clanstarling, the amazing @illdoc, the astounding @j5cochran and the oh-so-smart @zoey1996. Congratulations you Four Wise Acres. I mean, Wise Players. It's fitting the week of Christmas we have multiple Wise People among us. Enjoy your glorious week you Fantastic Four!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

*unwrap, upwrap, crinkle paper (save bow), open box ..." and VOILÁ! It's our winners of Week 14. I say "winners" because by some Christmas miracle we have FOUR winners this week. Yes, four. These four players achieved their first perfect week for the first perfect time this season. And those brainiacs are ... the brilliant @Clanstarling, the amazing @illdoc, the astounding @j5cochran and the oh-so-smart @zoey1996. Congratulations you Four Wise Acres. I mean, Wise Players. It's fitting the week of Christmas we have multiple Wise People among us. Enjoy your glorious week you Fantastic Four!

I'd like to thank the Academy, and all those wonderful people out there in the dark. . . 

I think I'm mixing my metaphors or quotes or something. But thank you, thank you, thank you. To go from the Table for One to a Weekly Winner in two weeks is a pretty darn big thing.

image.png.e1762716378f28781f1d8364090447af.png

Edited by j5cochran
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

Jeez, thanks @Browncoat, I forgot it was Friday. Where does the time go.

WEEK 15 • Dec. 21, 2020 — NO asterisk
71. (Season 21, Game 29—Thursday, Oct. 14, 2004) Famous Americans. After his public comments were criticized by FDR, he resigned his Air Corps Reserve commission in April 1941.
72. (Season 22, Game 147 — April 4, 2006) German Americans. He famously remarked, “We are all the President’s men”, giving Woodward & Bernstein their title.
73. (Season 24, Game 14 — Sept. 27, 2004) Men of Medicine. After giving birth in Paris, American Marjorie Karmel wrote “Thank You” him & co-founded an organization now.
74. (Season 24, Game 42 — Nov. 6, 2007) Historic Names. He is quoted as saying, “Another such victory over the Romans, and we are undone.”
75. (Season 25, Game 93 — Jan. 15, 2009) Writer/Directors. His headstone, using a line from one of his scripts, says, “I’m a writer but then nobody’s perfect.”

Edited by saber5055
Browncoat is not Toothbrush.
  • Love 1

Week fifteen: two of five -- such a drop from last week's perfection!

My brain must be overloaded on Christmas cookies and candy and ham. Wednesday I was totally stumped. Thursday I could only come up with Hannibal. And Friday I yelled at the TV "it's the guy that wrote and directed Some Like It Hot! And Sabrina - the first Sabrina, the good one! And Sunset Blvd.! He was originally from Austria but he left when Hitler came to power because he was Jewish! His name is . . . . His name is . . . . His name is Willy . . . . Willy something." End of Jeopardy Think music. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 12/21/2020 at 1:41 PM, saber5055 said:

Just check out the FJ clue on TheJeopardyFan.com every day, or The New York Times. (Although the Times has the wrong day's clue listed for today, so see TJF instead.) Then you can continue to play while doing something else during the reruns. It's a win-win!

Okay, doing it that way, you may put me down for 2/5

• Love 1

1/5. Thanks for saving me from an 0-for, Mr. Wilder! The only FJ I got this week I had to look up in the archives, because my affiliate totally bagged J! yesterday, running basketball all day and night. Usually when something like that happens, they run J! late at night or on another channel, but on Christmas they decided to just ignore it, for whatever reason.

• Love 1

3/5 - Could not make Lamaze come to my brain for love or money and I just blanked on Phyrric victories in general and wouldn't have gotten the guy's name in a thousand years - although I have been known to use the phrase from time to time.  Luckily Some Like It Hot is one of my favorite movie endings of all time so I felt I was able to get back on track for the end of the week.  Oh well nobody's perfect (although somebody in this contest probably will be 😀).

• Love 4

2/5 but two of the others I should have gotten.

I'm sadly familiar with pyrric victories and knew it was Catcher in the Rye instantly.  Any other moment I would also know J.D. Salinger wrote Catcher. If course, when it really counted in FJ I was left grasping at an empty brain. I somehow feel better about getting Lamaze wrong since I never knew that was a person (though even a moment's thought should have told me). It's just that weird hyperventilating that somehow some male somewhere thought seemed like how to have a baby. (Seriously-- if that helped AT ALL, women would have figured it out centuries ago.)

• Love 1